Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

Fields of War: Normandy 1.00 and beyond WIP thread (formerly The 31st Normandy mod)

jequirity:

In this case there is no sign marking the location of the regiment and the regiment should be left and the number of the battalion on the right side also need to sign troop and police number.

I have elaborated Cromwell tank yet. Camouflage will be on all three battalions and a company.

good to see you back petrtlach...how is it will your ACSR-mod coming soon for A2 ...that would be great :pray:

ha ha I see a challenge! Aqu has a thing for german projects that almost saw the light of day and limited production items.

Ha ha. I admit quilty. Already 'wasted' time creating Me-163, StuIG-33b, 7,5cm Pak40 für RSO, V-1, V-2 and Goliath at least :) The point is that those were used in the war even in limited numbers. Also the reason is sometimes that I have made a more common vehicle and those are just modifications to that (like from RSO 01 and StuG-III).

So I would rather make the Dora railway gun than the Ratte, because Dora was actually used. Besides the Arma tank simulation would make the Ratte turn like a ballerina and not like a bloated oversize mammoth.

jequirity:

In this case there is no sign marking the location of the regiment and the regiment should be left and the number of the battalion on the right side also need to sign troop and police number.

I have elaborated Cromwell tank yet. Camouflage will be on all three battalions and a company.

petrtlach: Yes, you're quite right about the markings. Looking forward to seeing the Cromwell, do you have any plans in the future to include any A30 Challengers?

I've been looking through your Arma and Arma 2 threads and the work you've done is impressive! I've been spurned onto finding out a wee bit more about the Czechoslovakian forces in WW2, are there any English-language texts you can reccommend to me?

So far i've found (but not bought) "TANKS CZECHOSLOVAK INDEPENDENT ARMOURED BRIGADE 1943 - 1945" by Jaroslav Hajecek and this website http://www.nasenoviny.com/. Are there any other good sources out there?

With regards to the Commonwealth side of the battle for Normandy, are you planning on recreating elements of any of the following major operations of the campaign?

-Operation Perch

-Operation Epsom

-Operation Goodwood

-Operation Bluecoat

-Operation Totalize

-Operation Tractable

Regarding the Campaign.

At the minute the campaign isn't under construction.

With all team members concentrating on the mod elements and maps the campaign will take a back seat until mod elements are finished and testing and fixes are all finished.

Then work will turn to building MP,Co-op and SP missions.

Warfare/Evolution Co-op's could be on the card with a persistent war being fought over the massive Normandy with all sides fighting to take and hold towns or counterattack after losing ground.

Cheers for taking the time to reply to my question XxEnigmAxX, it sounds like one heck of a massive endeavour! The persistent war idea sounds like it's going to be epic.

I appreciate all the work you guys are putting in, looking forward to any and all updates in the future! :yay:

Cheers for taking the time to reply to my question XxEnigmAxX, it sounds like one heck of a massive endeavour! The persistent war idea sounds like it's going to be epic.

I appreciate all the work you guys are putting in, looking forward to any and all updates in the future! :yay:

Not a problem,

Taking a small amount of time to speak with the community is very rewarding for me.:)

And seeing players enjoy the work we do after then release.

makes all the time we spent worthwhile.

Don't think twice about asking questions in the future.

I'll be glad to answer.

E.

We take all suggestions including where markings belong. Thanks for the input.

Map - WIP - Current state: 1/18/11

current_state.jpg

As you can see a lot of the Cherbourg penninsula is done. I'm sinking a lot of time in the next couple weeks into the map. I will keep you updated with my progress.

OMG Paris!!THAT'S THE WAY AH AH I LIKE IT :yay:

so, i will try learn to use the map editor....so ill make for you a map one day...on my honor :)

As i can locate myself on the map (west suburbs of Paris), i hope you recreated my house ;)

The scope of the map is impressive. I am just a bit sceptical when it comes to recreating real life locations; especially such large ones as Paris. The city alone would require a map for itself to be recreated in a good manner. Placing a city sign, saying Paris before a random collection of ArmA budildings wouldn't just do it.

I have all the faith (and hopes) that you guys will put your heart into this one. Don't get me wrong - my comment is based only on some failed attempts to recreate large cities I witnessed in maps for previous BI games.

The scope of the map is impressive. I am just a bit sceptical when it comes to recreating real life locations; especially such large ones as Paris. The city alone would require a map for itself to be recreated in a good manner. Placing a city sign, saying Paris before a random collection of ArmA budildings wouldn't just do it.

I have all the faith (and hopes) that you guys will put your heart into this one. Don't get me wrong - my comment is based only on some failed attempts to recreate large cities I witnessed in maps for previous BI games.

Well if you go back a few pages ( not sure ) think we showed Caen...It's pretty to how we felt it would be in 44.

City of Caen WIP within our Normandy map

caen5.jpg

There is still a lot to do yet. The map is a challenge and I'm sure Paris will be.

Hi Rip

Yes, as I follow the topic I did saw the map and admit that the road/street and objects looks very promising.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just thinking out loud:

I am planning on starting to (well, obviously not by myself - rather planning on getting someone to) work on a WW2-themed map myself.

Yet, the more reference material (era-specific photos and films) I watch, the more I loose faith in this. Even with exact the same road / street network things won't look as they did in RL, when we use default Arma buildings and objects. One would need to invest countless hours in trying to recreate the actual look of cities by creating custom architecture and objects.

http://b.imagehost.org/0749/wip12.jpg

http://b.imagehost.org/0423/wip10.jpg

http://b.imagehost.org/0995/wip6.jpg

http://b.imagehost.org/0036/wip1.jpg

etc.

Are you aiming on doing so as well?

Fingers crossed for taking on the challenge :)

Have you come across this site before?

http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk/worldwide/?PHPSESSID=63vov39dvrg0g5uc0ln0s7aia5

It might be handy for the odd reference or two

This site, yes we already use this one for many references. Thanks! :)

---------- Post added at 05:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 AM ----------

Hi Rip

Yes, as I follow the topic I did saw the map and admit that the road/street and objects looks very promising.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just thinking out loud:

I am planning on starting to (well, obviously not by myself - rather planning on getting someone to) work on a WW2-themed map myself.

Yet, the more reference material (era-specific photos and films) I watch, the more I loose faith in this. Even with exact the same road / street network things won't look as they did in RL, when we use default Arma buildings and objects. One would need to invest countless hours in trying to recreate the actual look of cities by creating custom architecture and objects.

http://b.imagehost.org/0749/wip12.jpg

http://b.imagehost.org/0423/wip10.jpg

http://b.imagehost.org/0995/wip6.jpg

http://b.imagehost.org/0036/wip1.jpg

etc.

Are you aiming on doing so as well?

Fingers crossed for taking on the challenge :)

Yes we have many custom objects/buildings that even contain a lot of propaganda type posters/paintings, etc to create the feel. There is a lot to explore on the map even if you don't use it to play PvP. You'll have to wait and see.

Will do. Thx for the answer and looking forward to see some of this custom stuff in upcoming WIP reports:)

@Topas

Those textures look great. Are you making some Polish town?

What I have looked at map making, one of the big problems of ww2 maps (or any old era in general) is where to get the sat maps. People use Google Earth often, but that won't work for WW2 if it contains any areas in the civilized world. Things have changed so much

Retexturing appropriately shaped Arma2 buildings might cut down on some of the work, no?

Abs

Retexturing appropriately shaped Arma2 buildings might cut down on some of the work, no?

Abs

We've already been doing this for a while now - the BIS mlods from ArmA1. In addition to that, we also have several custom building objects.

[*]2 is this mod still going the pacific route or is that no longer an option?

Yes,

The fields of war team will still endeavor to cover the most costly war known to mankind in as much quantity from start to finish as humanly possible.

Yes we are aware this will take a long time.

But at the end of that time.

we hope to deliver to the community the most in depth and plentiful WW2 mod seen.

So Yes pacific,Africa,Mediterranean,Eastern,Western.

All fronts will be covered in due time.

Does that include Burma?

That's a front largely ignored. It would be interesting to experience

Does that include Burma?

That's a front largely ignored. It would be interesting to experience

We will be trying to cover each theater as much as we can.

So i wouldn't write it off :D

We will be trying to cover each theater as much as we can.

So i wouldn't write it off :D

Sikhs in a war game. I think that'll be a first ;)

yeah i think it would.

Then again a decent covering or the Mediterranean theater would be a first as well.

well we could say that for a whole bunch of things in the gaming world i guess lol