Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

Fields of War: Normandy 1.00 and beyond WIP thread (formerly The 31st Normandy mod)

Pfft, nothing like a dose of well-meaning but mindless sycophancy to advance any discussion. Whatever, you're quite right Rip owes nobody here anything but, given the topic came up, let's not swallow his "they didn't want to work with us" stance without at least asking a few questions. That is all.

At the end of the day we're open to co-operation,

But saying just take a little bit of time out of your day to configure all the invasion gear to your armor penetration systems/weapons configuration/artillery module or vice versa - invasion doing the same to ours is under playing the enormous job at hand.

It would take a huge amount of time to fold either mods configuration into each other.and that amount of time taken out of someones schedule at a time where we're working on so much stuff just isn't right.

If someone wishes to see a interoperability patch to make them work flawlessly together,Then it's there prerogative to approach both teams and get permission to do so.

As rip said we're open to idea's and suggestions about the mod.

But in my opinion. The choice between expanding the mods content and working on reconfiguring others work to fit in.

I personally would rather see more content.

Some more...

screen15.jpg

I must congratulate you on this mod, the Brits are looking great!

I'm going to nit-pick however and point out a possible wee mistake i'm afraid. (The mistake is minor though and ultimately would not affect the end product i'd wager so I apologize for being a pain in the arse and pointing it out)

The mailed fist divisional symbol sign on the Churchill in the picture is the symbol of the 6th Armoured Division which was not equipped with Churchills nor was it depolyed in NW Europe with the 21st Army group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Armoured_Division_%28United_Kingdom%29

The following Tank Brigades however used the Churchill in Normandy.

(Website used is http://northirishhorse.net/articles-2/Insignia/Churchills.html)

6th Guards Tank Brigade

Symbol: Guards.gif

31st Tank Brigade

Symbol:Diablo-green.gif

34th Tank Brigade

Symbol: 34tb.gif

In addition to the 3 Tank Brigades there were 8 Armoured Brigades (inc. Canadian, Polish and Czech) in Normandy which were equipped with Shermans rather than Churchills and 6 Armoured Divisions (Inc. Canadian and polish divs and counting 79th Armoured Division as an armoured division in this case) with Shermans (Cromwells in 7th Armoured Div case) in the main regiments and Cromwells in armoured recce regiments.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=399

Apologies again for the pedantry :o, looking forward to seeing more awesome work in the future!

About giving information about the mod 'internals'...

We will give out some documentation, mostly to help mission/script makers (i.e unit and weapon class names). We haven't given out any docs yet because things might still change and creating documentation takes some time. Time which is away from making the mod.

There are no secret scripts etc inside and even if there were you could easily see them by unbinning the pbos. If you need to know some internal working (e.g. for some mission script) better ask then (for example PM the author of the specific pbo)

Hey Rip do you need any help with integrating those arty pieces?

How about some mroe pics instead of this mindless banter going on here.

love the mod----hate the politics

Defunkt = European Union

Rip31st = Democracy

Defunkt = European Union

Rip31st = Democracy

Heh, well I know diddly about European politics (though I'd have thought you meant Rip3st = Nationalism) but it's probably safe to suppose people don't think the EU's a good thing. Nevermind, when it turns out a FoW Tiger can't scratch an I44 Sherman and it dawns on people what a monumental travesty that is it'll be interesting to see who's doing the moaning then (i.e. after the horse has bolted). In the meantime, best of luck FoW, I'm looking forward to your release. :)

i just picked up oa , will it be compatible? oa , co , ??

i just picked up oa , will it be compatible? oa , co , ??

Yes. It works with just plain A2, or official add-ons.

@Defunkt

No matter what you do, you always have someone complaining. Somebody was upset while ago that this won't be compatible with the default modern A2 vehicles. ...or should I say comparable.

Somebody was upset while ago that this won't be compatible with the default modern A2 vehicles. ...or should I say comparable.

Funny you should mention that, I didn't say anything as I do understand the reasoning but I was slightly disappointed to hear that too. There's so much great content for this series for a wide variety of milieus it would be kind've cool if everything could remain comparable so you could make Time Warriors missions (squad of 2010 infantry travels backwards and forwards through time influencing the outcome of crucial battles). But it would compromise what could otherwise be achieved just for WW2.

Heh, well I know diddly about European politics (though I'd have thought you meant Rip3st = Nationalism) but it's probably safe to suppose people don't think the EU's a good thing. Nevermind, when it turns out a FoW Tiger can't scratch an I44 Sherman and it dawns on people what a monumental travesty that is it'll be interesting to see who's doing the moaning then (i.e. after the horse has bolted). In the meantime, best of luck FoW, I'm looking forward to your release. :)

I'm not one for politics. I don't appreciate being called one either. Politicians - If their lips are moving, they're lying. :aa:

IF it ends up being this 'monumental travesty' which I doubt it will be. Assuredly someone will confix it. (my language for: configure - fix ) Not me. I could care less. And their will be no moaning here when the horse bolts. Maybe the same horse could carry you to I44 happiness, to their thread, where most likely you are doing the same comments to get them to create this compatibility you speak of. :raisebrow:

I don't think it would be that hard to make happen given just a little willingness on all sides

Put 'yer money where 'yer mouth is then. If you think its not that hard, feel free to examine merging I44 and 31st/Fields of War into a single entity. Everything you need to begin this undertaking is already out there.

Everything you need to begin this undertaking is already out there.

The entire point seems to have sailed right over your head, namely that posting details of their armour system now (which is what I was proposing) would have made such an initiative possible. Reverse-engineering a 10 month old barely-alpha, soon-to-be-replaced release wouldn't be a worthwhile use of anyone's time.

Neither would stopping work on the actual mod to write a technical manual detailing everything you decide you want to know. FPDR

At the minute in time said armor system is still being refined.

And as such releasing the finalized configured armor pieces would be pointless.

as has already been stated the documentation will come before released and in one single document.

Release armor system here,Class list there,Mag and weapons class somewhere else and everything in dribs and drabs is just an effort in futility.

One document.

When it's done.

hopefully,End of discussion.

Has this mod been abandoned since the split in modders with the addition of HIP?

is this mod still going the pacific route or is that no longer an option?

what is the future prospects of FOW going forward??

sorry to be nosey but i gotta know!!

Hi Bummer,

I'll try to answer your questions as best i can :)

• 1 Has this mod been abandoned since the split in modders with the addition of HIP?
    No the mod definitely has not been canceled.
    The mod is still in full swing and the team are currently working hard on the Normandy phase.
    The loss of 2 members really didn't do much to anything the community would have seen for a while as they were working on there own pacific section while the majority were working on the current phase.
    The only difference really being for the community is that you will have a pacific mod sooner,But without the support of the Fields of War team behind it.
  • 2 is this mod still going the pacific route or is that no longer an option?
    Yes,
    The fields of war team will still endeavor to cover the most costly war known to mankind in as much quantity from start to finish as humanly possible.
    Yes we are aware this will take a long time.
    But at the end of that time.
    we hope to deliver to the community the most in depth and plentiful WW2 mod seen.
    So Yes pacific,Africa,Mediterranean,Eastern,Western.
    All fronts will be covered in due time.
  • 3 what is the future prospects of FOW going forward??
    The future holds much for the fields of war team.
    And also for the Community.
    the Fields of war team are concentrating on providing a much more robust experience than before in our mod.
    with several modules included in the mods release.
    Including custom effects and sounds,penetration and artillery modules as well as many more new goodies I'm not in a position to disclose at this second :P.
    As for the next phase after Normandy has been finished and polished.
    Well The bulge and market garden might be on the cards.
    But who knows :D

sorry to be nosey but i gotta know!!

If you never ask, You'll never know ;)

Enigma

Hi Bummer,

I'll try to answer your questions as best i can :)

• 1 Has this mod been abandoned since the split in modders with the addition of HIP?
    No the mod definitely has not been canceled.
    The mod is still in full swing and the team are currently working hard on the Normandy phase.
    The loss of 2 members really didn't do much to anything the community would have seen for a while as they were working on there own pacific section while the majority were working on the current phase.
    The only difference really being for the community is that you will have a pacific mod sooner,But without the support of the Fields of War team behind it.
  • 2 is this mod still going the pacific route or is that no longer an option?
    Yes,
    The fields of war team will still endeavor to cover the most costly war known to mankind in as much quantity from start to finish as humanly possible.
    Yes we are aware this will take a long time.
    But at the end of that time.
    we hope to deliver to the community the most in depth and plentiful WW2 mod seen.
    So Yes pacific,Africa,Mediterranean,Eastern,Western.
    All fronts will be covered in due time.
  • 3 what is the future prospects of FOW going forward??
    The future holds much for the fields of war team.
    And also for the Community.
    the Fields of war team are concentrating on providing a much more robust experience than before in our mod.
    with several modules included in the mods release.
    Including custom effects and sounds,penetration and artillery modules as well as many more new goodies I'm not in a position to disclose at this second :P.
    As for the next phase after Normandy has been finished and polished.
    Well The bulge and market garden might be on the cards.
    But who knows :D

If you never ask, You'll never know ;)

Enigma

Good to know...Will we be seeing a Maus? Just wondering since this mod doesn't concentrate on Historical Accuracy.

Good to know...Will we be seeing a Maus? Just wondering since this mod doesn't concentrate on Historical Accuracy.

Probably. We're keep adding some unique armor units which you never seen in Arma 2 before.

By all that is unholy and crazy, I request a Ratte. :D

I second this. I will download everything you guys make for the rest of time if you include a Ratte. :bounce3:

Abs

ha ha I see a challenge! Aqu has a thing for german projects that almost saw the light of day and limited production items.

screen15.jpg

Who invented the designation of the authors of 53 on this car? This designation is the third CIABG Battalion (Czechoslovakian Independent Armor Brigade), these tanks do not use.

I think that the "53" symbol was rather a generic symbol amongst the armoured brigades and divisions equipped with Commonwealth equipment. From this website http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=590 you can see that as well as the 3rd Armoured Regiment of the 1st Czech Armoured Brigade using the "53" symbol, the 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade, 27th UK Armoured Brigade and the 5th Guards Armoured brigade used it as well.

I agree in saying that the Churchill equipped tank-brigades did not use the "53" symbol as far as I know (http://northirishhorse.net/articles-2/Insignia/Churchills.html) but I think that pedantic people like myself need to recognize that:

-The modders are doing an excellent job at the important things

- They're devoting their spare time to this project

-They're introducing new units not seen before in Arma 2

- They're embarking on a mod of epic and challenging proportions

Ultimately, the issue of a tank having inaccurate markings shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things, it's best that we don't bog modders down by the little things when they're doing a such fantastic job on the big things. :)

@ XxEnigmAxX With regards to the Commonwealth side of the battle for Normandy, are you planning on recreating elements of any of the following major operations of the campaign?

-Operation Perch

-Operation Epsom

-Operation Goodwood

-Operation Bluecoat

-Operation Totalize

-Operation Tractable

@petrtlach looking forward to your work on the Czech Armoured brigade at Dunkirk 1944-45, I don't know a lot about the siege so it's always good to see a mod tackling this area

Edited by jequirity