Sign in to follow this  
tonygrunt

ARMA 2:OA beta patch 76067

I've had a crash to desktop, and a complete computer lockup after installing this beta! Also, before it locked up, the grass in the foreground of the demo screen(the one with the 3 scud trucks) were blue.

Could have been the blue screen shining from behind.

- AI should be able to recue (drag out) wounded soldiers from inside vehicles or crew places

- AI should not use rifle flashlights in danger/stealth behaviour (whispering voices are great and immersive but seeing the flashlights is breaking the immersion)

- AI is not keeping orders/commands like switch off flashlights, after a second or two they switch it on again - who ever developed this feature didn't played/tested many A2OA dusk/night missions ;)

- when moving prone weapons are sliding away from player and AI (repro: in editor/mission simply switch to 3rd person and watch yourself/others moving prone)

If you have your 260 overclocked I'd suggest putting them back at stock speeds or at least lowering them a bit till it seems more stable. Even if the heat isn't causing it the higher clocks can (if that's even the case here), figure I'd throw that out there.

It's a factory OC GTX260, what I've done now is changed the fan profile to be more agressive than before. Reading that CarlGustaffa (and maybe others?!) seen the same/similar mosaic gfx artifacts it may not be the HW after all.

As I mentioned earlier things improved alot with my changes to the ArmA2OA.cfg etc. and running with -exThreads=3 but after spending some more time with 76067 I still see some minor LOD and texture issues, not nearly as bad as before and not gamebraking but I mention them anyway since thats what this thread are for.

Regarding the textures I grabbed some screenshots. Far away landtextures (Takistan tested) often draws very late. I could "force" them to load by simply zoom-in max. At the time my framerate was ~35-50 FPS and ViewDistance=3400, V-sync ON (will try V-sync OFF next).

A2OA_B76067_FarTex_00.jpg

A2OA_B76067_FarTex_01.jpg

System:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.40 GHz

- 2 x 1 GB RAM @ 1066 MHz

- nVidia GTX 260 896 MB (Driver: 191.07 WHQL)

- Windows XP Pro SP2

Using:

A2(DVD)+OA(DVD)+BAF(Sprocket)

Command line parameters:

-mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;BAF -nosplash -profiles=d:\games\ARMAII~1\ -bepath=client1 -name=KeyCat -exThreads=3

Also want to say thanks to Dorph @ HUD DK for having a great (and for me low ping) server up and running that makes MP tests easier.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

- AI should not use rifle flashlights in danger/stealth behaviour (whispering voices are great and immersive but seeing the flashlights is breaking the immersion)

- AI is not keeping orders/commands like switch off flashlights, after a second or two they switch it on again - who ever developed this feature didn't played/tested many A2OA dusk/night missions ;)

I reported this on the CIT awhile back: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/13041

Please vote :)

;1799148']Aswell as "AI´s should TURN OFF engine" When orderd or in danger/stealth

Why, it's so nice showing the enemy that you are there ;) There is no use in turning off your engine in the first place with the current radar system showing EVERYTHING even if it's hidden under a camo tent. I wonder if it's possible to limit the überradar just a bit. I have eyes to look out of the windows of a flying vehicle ffs.

Ok, honestly i wonder why they even took away the turn off engine command. My AI ran out of gas while waiting in an ambush position a couple of days ago. Funny thing is that the HMMWV didn't turn off the engine, ergo ran out of gas but the M2 Bradley did turn it off??? They were both in combat mode. When i had a HMMWV column yesterday and stopped for a couple of seconds all vehicles turned their engines off, again in combat mode. AI is stupid 90% of the time anyway.

Anyone else experiencing long "freezes" (4-5 sec) then it was back to normal in MP with this build? Had two of thoose tonight but no CTD's.

I've had that freeze too in MP. It's still ab bit "laggy" sometimes, while turning around fast, but popping is gone.

i have to try out the maxframesahead thing, cause afaik , in my config its both set to =1

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

AI is stupid 90% of the time anyway.

Can you all plz stop complainig about the AI in this game?This is the only game, which offers so much opportunities for using AI as a squad and i assume it's not very easy to program that.

If my Ai is waiting, i usually let the driver of hummvee hop out, then he turns engine off AND he also covers the vehicle with his gun.

The only thing, which is minor, is the lights on weapons in dark coops, they only turn em off in stealth mode. you cannot say 6, disable laser/light.

Edit: i still have the feeling, when turning fast, the fps are dropping sometimes, haven't had that in 1.54 betas. Other stuff like popping and flickering seems to be fine now

- deleted old OA.cfg and put exThreads=3 for my dual core

on cherna the grass is not blinking that hard like in the video some posts earlier, is also like a tiny flicker, even if the grass is already loaded. but it was really there, since A2 was released..i can make video today..

cheers

Hey umm, this has probly already been mentioned but when I try to run CO, it crashes straight away, I bought OA and ARma through Steam and when I got the patch, it screwed up, now I can''t run OA or CO but I can run original Arma 2. I think there is another patch commin out soon but I might as well try to find the problem now. Any help will be great

Cheers

Hi,

I tried the game yesterday:

1) no mods.

2) exThreads=3

3) CPU O.C to 13%

4) HD defragmanted

Tried the British mission something about freeing a village, i did not notice any LOD issues, missing texture or texture pop up. I was surprised but i have to try other missions to test further.

One thing i noticed was the change in the machine gun sound, not sure how to describe this but almost sounded like it has two sound versions.

Tried the game again with the beta patch but this time with exThreads=7.

exThreads=3 gave me 47 FPS

exThreads=7 gave me 52 FPS

with ingame vsync disabled.

I haven't been playing it long enough to experience freezes/hang ups but before this beta patch and using exThreads=7 i never had any problems.

If my Ai is waiting, i usually let the driver of hummvee hop out, then he turns engine off AND he also covers the vehicle with his gun.

What's the use of having the driver hop out of a HMMWV when the vehicle itself has a better weapon to defend itself? You also lose the ability to change their position quickly if they are under long range small arms attack. You just give the move order, in your case "driver, enter car", "move to xxx". And i have the back of the HMMWV pointed towards the enemy. Why? Because the windshield doesn't hold off projectiles as they should even with the armored versions. Though a also got shot in the back seat through the roof at CQ distances.

It's just common sense to turn of the engine when waiting in an ambush position, they won't even turn it off in stealth mode.

What's the use of having the driver hop out of a HMMWV when the vehicle itself has a better weapon to defend itself? You also lose the ability to change their position quickly if they are under long range small arms attack. You just give the move order, in your case "driver, enter car", "move to xxx". And i have the back of the HMMWV pointed towards the enemy. Why? Because the windshield doesn't hold off projectiles as they should even with the armored versions. Though a also got shot in the back seat through the roof at CQ distances.

It's just common sense to turn of the engine when waiting in an ambush position, they won't even turn it off in stealth mode.

Let's go back to the topic of this thread. I don't wanna compare our "gaming styles"..so sorry for my suggestions in last post..<closed>

In all recent patches including ArmA2 v1.08 and CO v1.55 command "selectWeapon" is broken. This still applies to beta patch build 76067.

See ticket here:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/15481

I really would like to see this kind of basic scripting issues addressed soon (see also the recently introduced "doFire" bug: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/15082).

Edited by fabrizioT

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, although I'm playing Arma 2 since it has been released. I'm a member of the French team Air Commando =[A*C]=.

So let's talk about performance : since the release of the 1.55 patch, we've been really angry towards Bohemia since our client side part of the game has became quite unplayable, with many FPS drops and a real loss in reactivity (hum well the server part is a problem too, we're running a Debian box - multithreading is awful on Linux). We've tried many tweaks provided on this thread, we lowered our graphic specs, deleted the CFG, but we couldn't get the smoothness of the 1.54 patch. Until yesterday.

I own a core2duo 6400 and an ATI 4890 (not bleeding edge I admit, but powerfull enough for many things) as a lot of my teammates, and totally lost, I tried the -exThreads=7 option, as a last try before giving up. Although it is not recommanded on a dual core, that was my only remaining option. And guess what ? I was running the 1.55 on a 15 FPS basis with many drops, and know after a few tests, I can say that it is now twice the previous value : 25-30 FPS (with even 60 sometimes !!! and for the lowest 15-20 in a few zones). It is WAY MORE ACCEPTABLE THAN BEFORE. My game is now playable again!

What I understood after a few readings is that -exThreads=7 cannot be handled by some low end dual core, but the 6400 is powerfull enough to cope with that. Other people who tried it with me told me the same, huge gain in smoothness, and in some cases in FPS too.

So here is my advice : delete the CFGs as stated before, use the -exThreads=7, and enjoy! I'll go on with some tests tonight to see if it does not bring some side problems, but what I can tell you now is that the only drawback are some textures or LODS popping a bit too late. But hell, SMOOTHNESS AGAIN !!!!

=[A*C]= NicO

Good to hear you guys are back up running!

=NicO;1800199']What I understood after a few readings is that -exThreads=7 cannot be handled by some low end dual core' date=' but the 6400 is powerfull enough to cope with that.[/quote']

Thats a bit interesting... I also tried with -exThreads=7 but for me the -exThreads=3 seems to work best and looking up your C2D E6400 it's lower end than the C2D E6850 I use.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache

vs

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache

So maybe there are other variables affecting this as well, whats your OS?

/KC

I havent done exthreads =7 but thats because i read this;

You don't need to do anything since last beta build(s)

when game detect your quadcore it automatically uses -cpuCount=4 and -exThreads=7

so unless You have some technical issues and want to lower these values there is no point to bother

(RE:http://forums.bistudio.com/archive/index.php/t-100519.html)

I havent tried using -exthreads because of this. Am i right in assuming that for an i7 with HT off its -cpucount=4 (or still 6??) and -exthreads=7?

I might give it a shot.

I must admit, a so huge difference for a single option seems strange, but believe me, I was seriously thinking about giving up. We're continuing tests tonight so I'll be able to tell you if the magic remains.

Here is my full config :

Asus P5B-E Plus

Core2duo E6400

ATI 4890 VaporX 1GB

2GB Corsair RAM

Windows 7 64b

All graphical options on normal, ViewDistance 2500m, Graphic Memory on Very High

@rscarrab : yes true, for an i7 exThreads should be right for you

My point of view is that if -exThreads=7 works on my modest hardware, it should work for nearly every Core2duo/quad Core-i3/5/7 (and AMD equivalent procs) - so it should probably be the default value, but we need more testing about that. But as stated before, if you have a quad the game engine should - in theory - already use the good value for this parameter.

What I'd like to know is : do everyone feel the same as me? Is 7 the overall good value? If true, BIS should use it as a default, because with 1.55 and my old school hardware, the gaming experience is really scarying, unless I use -exThreads=7.

PS : I could drive some tests yesterday, the game is more playable, even if I can feel huge FPS drops in some cities - but that is not a new behavior of the game engine. I prefer a drop starting from 40 FPS than starting from 15 =)

Edited by =[A*C]=NicO

Still grass blinking with official 1.56. The vehicles are also changing LODs way too quickly with normal object details, you can only step about 10m back and those are already with very low details. At the same time, soldiers walking next to it look 100% good & normal. Also with high object details the vehicle LOD changeing is too fast. There is only some few vehicles normally in missions so those distances to change LOD could be about 10 times bigger, I think.

Videos

Object details at Medium:

Object details at High:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/15512

Edited by SaOk

Still grass blinking with official 1.56. The vehicles are also changing LODs way too quickly with normal object details, you can only step about 10m back and those are already with very low details. At the same time, soldiers walking next to it look 100% good & normal. Also with high object details the vehicle LOD changeing is too fast. There is only some few vehicles normally in missions so those distances to change LOD could be about 10 times bigger, I think.

Confirmed. Although quality was not my main concern, because of smoothness, there are still many visual weird things. But the Z-fighting is now really reduced towards 1.54, that's a good point! Now let's fix those textures and LODs problems, and it will be fine =)

thanks...

i will continue the bug on CTI.

its not like its just some textures a bit later, its all near textures connected with heavy stuttering, same as in the offical patch and previous build. i dont know if it helps, but like many people reported, in 1.54 with 74360 it was perfect. hope your doing your best to fix it till tuesday. worst would be to be not able to play your new content cause the issue is remaining.

+1 !

I hope I will ever get back to that status ... compared to that all other issues seems very much minor to me ... :-(

where can we find current build 76134.

Great question.... :p

Install latest official patch... it is version 1.56.76134...

:rolleyes: