Sign in to follow this  
Chill xl

ToraBora Afghan. Mountain map (OA)

adding an outpost, some fortifications and a camp in the mountains and a few clusters of qala's / houses here and there...

Perfect! I'm really looking forward to this.

Once again, great looking!

How's the performance by the way? with all the trees.

Pics are now breaking the awesomemeter. Good job :)

:cool:

Keep us posted, please :)

DAMN! This is looking to be one hell of a map!

Keep up the good work, I seriously can't wait for this! It looks better than Takistan! :D

How big is it?

Chill. Add some ponds man, with the static pond object. Maybe just two near some of the larger groups of compounds as people dont settle too far away from water.

I second the pond-idea!

Oh man, I can't wait to hunt taliban in these frightful hills..

..and end up being hunted instead.

Just be careful not to add too much since the AI hate it.

The key is to make the ponds shallow, rather than just not having many ponds. As long as players/AI can wade through the water without switching to the swimming animation, it's fine.

Wow, really cant wait for this map, great work, any ETA on release ? :D

:bounce3:

If you could add a small fortified airfield, kind of like a smaller version of Kandahar airfield that would be perfect, but so far it's looking damn sexy, top work man.

AMAZING, much better than Bis Takistan :D Hope you add some sort of outpost or a random destroyed building on some of the hilltops, just like in real afghan, would be great for couple missions like take the base or defend from enemy and so :yay:

yeah a small COP on top of a hill, or down in a valley..with 200-300 taliban attacking your COP would be a great and realistic mission(Inspired by the Rl Attack on COP Keating, and the one before that attack in Wanat, Afghan)!!!

@Chill: but please try to have the cops\fobs\bases or whatever realistic....and please dont have hescos all retarted looking..meaning with hescos sticking inside other hescos(its really not hard to have them line up perfectly..believe me i do it every day with the sum 50-60 base\fob\cop templates i make!)

and when making these said bases\outposts buid them realisticly..just use common sence..like there is not gonna be a fully built brick house\building used as a "TOC\COC", most cases its a tent\netting with a shit load of hesco barriers and sand bags! also most troop housing in them small remote combat outposts are usally just tents\man made wooden structors built outta plywood! and dont forget them alsome cargo containers turned housing lol...

but anyways dont think im trying to tell you how to do what you do best, think of it as me just trying to give my 2 cents to help you create your map more realistic! :)

oh and also im not trying to clam to be the "god of base\fob builders", i just simply use my actual knowlege and experience(most with the help of my buddys whos been stationed at remote COP's as i never was...i was USAF CSAR so i would have only been stationed at larger type AirBase's\FOB's)! but also one of my many active duty cusins\familly was a army engineer who build a few COP's in a-stan!

so if you need any help constucting any kind of base let me know i will be honored to help, and i know many very talented fob templete builders on these forums aswell...and with the new tool that allows you to import editor made bases into visitor this can be easly made possible and my self and many others would be happy to help

again thanks for taking the time to make this alsome map, and hope to see it very very very soon...but not too soon, the longer you work on it the better it will be lol!

P.s. any other maps u got planed in the future? specificly any remote Afghan areas that contains very few small remote COPs\FOB with maby an airbase in there? if so but you dont have any ideas of where to make it i can give you a few suggestions of places in afghan that will complement you amzing work very well, and can probly provide you with a good satmap and hightmap of the area so that all u have to do is place objects\buildings\veg where it is on the real thing(of course by using the real sat of the area)!

Dave,

Edited by soldier2390

You can make bases, towns and more using the dynamic town generator, just leave it to users in my mind. Keeps it open and allows people to mix up the scenario however they like

These people who make islands (and thereby have greater patience and ability in this area than I ever could) put a lot of time and effort in to their work and the community seems more and more demanding of it than ever

Tnx again for all the feedback from you guys, its been very helpfull and have gotten some nice ideas from it!

At the moment im working on atleast one village, possible 2 other smaller settlements aswell. Furthmore therewill be one or two of these outposts and these will be build as realistic as possible, in configuration and positioning. Then ontop of the big mountain plateau there will be some sort of insurgent "stronghold" / camp with some mujahideen fortifications. Then all this will be tied together with a minimal road network. All in all it will still be quite empty as far as human stuff goes. This suits my personal preference as far as maps goes, saves time and leaves a sandbox environment for others to use...

I try to get the best possible result in a short time, as i'm not willing to spend months on this project. As with most of my projects i apply guerilla tactics, hit well and run... :D

Anyway, hope to provide some new shots on the village thats being worked on atm.

Keep the suggestions coming as they are very much helpfull, i will for sure consider each request and see if it possible and fits the map / concept. One thing that would be even better is to provide some pics or photos or any other research with the suggestion or idea. This saves me alot of time and illustrates your idea or suggestion even better.

You can make bases, towns and more using the dynamic town generator, just leave it to users in my mind. Keeps it open and allows people to mix up the scenario however they like

These people who make islands (and thereby have greater patience and ability in this area than I ever could) put a lot of time and effort in to their work and the community seems more and more demanding of it than ever

yeah but the town generator module doesnt build bases first off, and second it also does not place roads like it should IMHO!

and im not demanding...im simply giving my feedback, opinions and support as thats what gets maps and other addons done, and i know this cause every addon i make i depend on critisim and feed back to better my addons for others! but i do understand your point, i really do thats why everything i write(and i know it does sound demanding..mybad on that)i try to not seem demanding...but words\text cannot express the truth behind what ppl write..meaing it probly seems like im mad or going crazy like..Give me my damn bases on this map...and do it how i want it or else <with big angry face> lol, but honistly the funny thing is i get so excited about this and many other things i get carryed away(plus i have limited time to write as im at work:p)

@Chill and Others..again sorry if i come off wrong in this thread or any other..

and i have tryed making maps and it sucks..i had mine ingame then said the hell with this bitch! lol so mad props too you map makers out there! oh and yeah i agree with Chill xl...i love these style of maps..the only thing i hated about takistan is that its got too many bases(and many of them are too close togather) my idea of a nice map is first of it be realistic and spread out..as afghan is very unpoluated in many places and can be hundreds of miles from an COP to Main Base...and many times can only use helos to deliver supplys\troops! also takistan dont have enough flat areas(well flat enought to place a small outpost\fob in the beautiful mountains!)

Dave,

Edited by soldier2390

yeah but the town generator module doesnt build bases first off, and second it also does not place roads like it should IMHO!

..words...

Dave,

While my rant was more of a wide open critique of the state of the community on the whole and not simply a one-target jab, I would answer your comments as such:

-by manipulating the models that the town generator module uses for buildings, fences and incidental objects it's very much possible to make any kind of orderly cluster of objects you wish; while you may not get the picture perfect just as in real life fob that you pine for, you can get decent enough results to flesh out into something more passable with a little care.

-the creation of rigid limitations on what structure and form a base has alana fully built fob has limits the flexibility of a mission maker to adapt it to suit their needs, while a sparse industrial zone or simple encampment can be built upon and expanded to your heart's desire

-as I stated formerly, again such creations limit the atmospheric flexibility of an area; items like those gigantic bag fences and crossroad signs lock in portions of the map that have them to a very specfic time and place, and given how quickly the mod community grows and adapts I'm sure it's a matter of time before we see things like soviet afghan actions being implemented in the game, which would require a different feel in terms of objects and placement used.

Of course, this is all pulling apart threads, but I think it bears being said that since the release of Arma1 the community has locked into this tight boresight of all addons having to be ultra realistic ultra modern units, even though, for example, fobs of the types you see today wouldn't have been around during the battle for tora bora (since I can't make a post without a single reference to the fantastic add-on being show )

While my rant was more of a wide open critique of the state of the community on the whole and not simply a one-target jab, I would answer your comments as such:

-by manipulating the models that the town generator module uses for buildings, fences and incidental objects it's very much possible to make any kind of orderly cluster of objects you wish; while you may not get the picture perfect just as in real life fob that you pine for, you can get decent enough results to flesh out into something more passable with a little care.

-the creation of rigid limitations on what structure and form a base has alana fully built fob has limits the flexibility of a mission maker to adapt it to suit their needs, while a sparse industrial zone or simple encampment can be built upon and expanded to your heart's desire

-as I stated formerly, again such creations limit the atmospheric flexibility of an area; items like those gigantic bag fences and crossroad signs lock in portions of the map that have them to a very specfic time and place, and given how quickly the mod community grows and adapts I'm sure it's a matter of time before we see things like soviet afghan actions being implemented in the game, which would require a different feel in terms of objects and placement used.

Of course, this is all pulling apart threads, but I think it bears being said that since the release of Arma1 the community has locked into this tight boresight of all addons having to be ultra realistic ultra modern units, even though, for example, fobs of the types you see today wouldn't have been around during the battle for tora bora (since I can't make a post without a single reference to the fantastic add-on being show )

yeah i understand exactly where your coming from and what you mean!

and yeah the reason the fobs wouldnt be thensame back in tora bora is because with the excption of fob andoconda, the operations of tora bora was more of a cordnation and search throw the mountains..meaning all operations in that area had no need for small outpost/firebases because the whole point was not to really show precence of nato troops but to just catch main taliban leaders and the devil himself lol! where as now in kunar, the operations there are to show that "we are here...and we aint taking no shit"! so the use of smaller outposts to over watch key areas is the plan!

so yeah you may be right, and what i think now that we are haveing this discusion is that it would probly be best to NOT include any FOB\COP's! not that you or anyone else cant make good ones but DaveP has a good point! it would probly be best to leave it up to the mission makers to create the bases where they need it...as this also works good casue then it dont force someone to lets say...use a base like how i make them in a place where i want them....so instead the other guy can make it how he likes it, where he likes it! cause as iv mentioned in above posts...i hate the fact that on takistan there is already too many pre-possitioned bases..meaning i got to use the bases already there(which IMHO are OFP-ish and are not good), and they are pretty much placed in a way to go with the whole theme of the OA Expansion, and are way too close togather to have user-made bases with out it looking like we are trying to play "king of the hill" on every hill at the same time lol!

p.s. if you do not add any\or many bases please add flat enough areas to place some small cops\fobs cause keep in mind fobs and even smaller cops get flated by buldozers(in most situations..even if the dozer has to be flown into a mountain top)!

but again this is your map and i was just giving my thoughts...good luck bro cant wait for this!

Dave,

@Chill

Could you add some dirt trails leading up to some of the mountain fortifications?

Dirt roads would be fine, but it would just be cool having a base totally isolated by vehicles and you have to attack it on foot! :)

I can't wait for this one, looks like it will be great!!:yay::yay:

I agree about having an outpost that is not reachable by vehicle, it surely enhances the remoteness of the setting; a little element like that makes for a splendid map.

Edited by stevedrumsdw

he he..

I don't believe in the "existence" of such "unreachable by vehicles outpost."

To build an army outpost..u need resources carried by vehicles (lots of them).

So..maybe you talk about a "emergency 'by nature' stronghold" with

nice coverage of rocks and such..and good visibility to strategic points of interest :)

Many of the outposts, cave dwellings and makeshift camps in this region are totally inaccessible by vehicle.