Sign in to follow this  
Chill xl

ToraBora Afghan. Mountain map (OA)

Wow new nice map i like aiktalik also.

But pls make this time some grass and some little villages.´Only mountains become fast boring

What i liked most on aitalik is that there is so much unsettled ground.

In Takistan it´s very hard to find an area where nobody can hear u scream.

Sometimes u need a location out of the nowhere.

And with OA there is no trouble to create an Village.

Fantastic so far matey, very nice

Yes this is very promising!!!

@Chill xl: Got a question though? Is this map based 100% on the real Tora Bora, or is this map suppost to Replicate\be Inspired by the Tora Bora Area? meaning is this map you are making gonna have all the acurate road networks, vegation\rock placement..and building placement?

Also are you using real refferences... like Satellite Maps\Google Earth type stuff, to make your "satmap and Hightmap" for this map? or is it made up\fictional terrain based on simular terrain thats based on the Tora Bora terrain???

Good luck and i really hope to get to play this map asap.

Dave,

Tnx for the thumbs up and feedback on the work so far.

The heightmap and the sat map dont have any relevance to the real deal, unfortunally. I named the map ToraBora to indicate what kind of terrain i'm after, i'm inspired by it but am not trying to replicate at all...

The heightmap is actually a modified 100% 1:1 10m dem of a piece of some Hawain island. I have edited it to give it more detail, more roughness etc. From this heightmap i created a base sat map using L3DT software. Then i edited the base sat map in photoshop to adjust the colors, add more detail, grass fields, forests etc etc. Very time consuming work i must say, the psd file sometimes exceeds the 3gb which makes saving and editing a pain in the u know what...

For reference i have looked at many pictures, mostly taken by us soldiers operating in that area.

At the moment the map is exported and binarized, once done i will have some new shots incoming.

The main goal for me is to create an "afghanish" proper mountain map, remote and rugged terrain for missions like mountain footpatrols or air assaults. Something i miss in most maps is that you never really are "far away" if you know what i mean...

Edited by Chill xl

Thanks for your hardwork Chill. I was a big fan of Aiaktalik and I'm looking forward to seeing the new screenshots for this project

Pics of latest build, would gladly hear what ya all think of it so far?

ToraBora4.jpg

ToraBora6.jpg

ToraBora7.jpg

ToraBora8.jpg

ToraBora9.jpg

wow looks very realistic! with your skills i hope to see an actual Afghanistan based map(using real world data, and modeled to exact specs of said afghan terrain), because i believe you have amazing skills as iv watched this thread since you started and im impressed by the outcome and turn out of this map!

so just figured i'd ask.....do you have any future plans to create actual afghan terrain???

like i would love to see another proper..but hugh(like the size of BIS Takistan, or bigger) "Northern Afghanistan" map, or even a hugh "Helmand Provence" map!!!

but yeah looking good keep it up!

Dave,

Looks excellent. The grass you implemented really fits in well. It Certainly gives the feel of the elegant mountainous terrain that is in Afghanistan.

Oh my god that's awesome. I love it!

I'm in love.

Seriously, it' looks incredible! I'm hoping to see atleast a couple of roads though, and maybe one or two villages and remote farms/ruins, but I'm looking forward to the large, deserted terrain. Like you said, in the takistan map your'e always close to something, this shouldn't be the case!

Brilliant work!

(I'm looking forward to sending a team of Tier One Operators deep into enemy territory in the ToraBora mountains..)

Edited by McNools

Here's some more shots of the map in its current state:

ToraBora11.jpg

ToraBora12.jpg

ToraBora13.jpg

ToraBora14.jpg

ToraBora15.jpg

Some finishing touches to the terrain and environment before i move on to the next step: adding an outpost, some fortifications and a camp in the mountains and a few clusters of qala's / houses here and there...

Looking absolutely shit hot mate! Great middleground between the plains of takistan and forest rich chernarus, looking forwards to it!

Although it does make me wish someone would make a rock replacement pack so we can avoid the 'bounce around like a pill head on a pogo stick' antics

Man this looks like outstanding infantry combat terrain.

A FOB would be a welcome suprise.

Looks awesome man.