Works great. AI Teammember rearming faster than they say "Out of Ammo". :D Thanks!

Thanks for the updates, Robalo. This is one of the most useful AI mods out there. Saves AI lives, and, of equal importance, it saves players a lot of unnecessary headaches and wasted time. Kudos!

Excellent, thanks for the update Rob.

Thanks Foxhound for the announcement.

Getting even better. So far I got for next update:

- Significant performance tweaks. Thanks Sickboy for advice!

- Half of the group rearming at once while the other waits.

- When AI needs new weapon, and has choices (eg. weapon crate), will pick a better match for its unit class

(sniper tries to get sniper rifle, machinegunner takes MG, Javelin dude takes Javelin etc.)

- Snipers always taking pistols.

eNdecDUjqTY

Edited by Robalo_AS

Sounds very good. Especially this :

- When AI needs new weapon, and has choices (eg. weapon crate), will pick a better match for its unit class

(sniper tries to get sniper rifle, machinegunner takes MG, Javelin dude takes Javelin etc.)

So no more SAW Gunners at Weapon Crates, that throw their SMG away for an M16? Very appreciated.

Looking forward to the update, Robalo! :)

"Snipers always taking pistols"

Are you sure it's a good idea? To give pistols to AI?

The notorious AI pistol bug was never fixed

"Snipers always taking pistols"

Are you sure it's a good idea? To give pistols to AI?

The notorious AI pistol bug was never fixed

What bug ? Please explain.

You don't know this very old "featured" bug where the AI's are using their pistols instead of using their rifles? :cool:

Try the german units in CO and see how they swap weapons despite having enough ammo for their rifles.

One of the first things players should do in OFP/Armaverse is to take away the pistols from AI. It can be very annoying/funny to see them running around with pistols and aiming+shooting on enemies at more than 50m...

Sounds rather like broken costs / other config settings for weapons

That's my guess too, proper AI-related weapon configs should fix that - like I did for ACE - at least I hope so, haven't seen the bug since.

But even with vanilla, I think at least the snipers can properly select suitable weapons.

@Robalo_AS

I am a bit new to ArmA. But your mod was one of the first I downloaded since it made so much sense. Thanks for all the hard work on it. :)

I just wanted to say that I also have seen this issue with the handgun. I saw this in the last version and also I still see it in this version. I have tested this with all mods turned off except for ACE. This happens in SPand MP.

Though in a perfect world, I am using ACE, ASR AI, GL4, Blastcore, SIX, GLT_MissleBox, and Zeus AI. So I am not sure if your mod is conflicting with GL4 and/or Zeus, as they are both AI relative mods. But I get the same results with my tests when these mods are turned off.

Basically, when the AI needs ammo, they do go collect it. I've checked their gear to make sure. They usually have an AK and a bunch of clips. But they still carry their pistol. I've mostly been playing on Lingor and the Ghost Recon missions, though I have found this issue on other islands and missions too; Operation Cobalt, Blood In The Sand, OA campaign, and various mission from Takistan coop mission pack with SP/MP.

I've also ran the ASR AI mod with Lost Keys (which I believe is from the SIX mod), spawned various ammo crates at different times, on different maps. Just to see what the AI does. Sure enough they will go and reload their ammo if their ammo is present. But if they had already run out of ammo, and switched to their pistol, they remain with their pistol in their hand, despite having full ammo for their primary.

Thanks again for the work on this. This issue could be on my end I guess. But I wanted to give my 2 cents since I finally saw someone else bring it up. I hope to resolve it, since I value this mod tremendously. I use the AI bunches and I am usually controlling them when I play with friends. The idea of not having to babysit them every moment is a welcomed feature.

Edited by neven

Thanks for the detailed explanation neven. Think I've seen AI stuck with using pistols like that. But on the other hand, I've seen snipers changing to pistols at close range and back to rifle too, which is nice. The default setting for AI taking pistols is off, only snipers (meaning units carrying sniper rifle) are excepted from it.

Was about to push the new version, but I'll run some more tests and perhaps add a fix, like, force AI switch to primary after they grab it :)

Hey! That sounds like a great idea. That may do it. I'll be sure to test and offer feedback.

Thanks!

I can't reproduce that bug, they're switching from pistols to rifles fine, even had them start with pistols only. Tested only with ACE so far.

WlyrFqK_iT0

Edited by Robalo_AS

@Robalo

Crouched AI with pistols will always get stuck (and in any? stance from moving inside/outside water with pistol in use).

Do with AI with pistols only:

{_x setUnitPos "MIDDLE";} forEach (units _currentAIgroup);

and you will see the problem.

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

I can't reproduce that bug, they're switching from pistols to rifles fine, even had them start with pistols only. Tested only with ACE so far.

Interesting. And thanks for the vid. I would ask that you maybe try this if possible in someone else's scripted mission. I'm not sure what mission if any you have going here in the video. I'm sure it's a solid testing environment, though it doesn't represent the scenario I see when the AI is holding pistols.

I also noticed that the AI on the far left in your video, switched to a rifle and then back again after firing (if he was the one that fired). Though the other 3, seemed to keep their rifle. Not sure if you meant for the AI to switch back on that soldier.

I have fraps, and I'll try and get a video done too of a "real mission" scenario where it shows the issue. I know that will go a long way to helping discuss the issue, if their is indeed an issue.

The trick here is that I have to be a in a scenario where the AI is firing so much, then manages to succeed in killing all the enemy, then go to their bodies (all clear) and gather ammo, and then engage the next set of enemies. Tricky, but that is when I've noticed this issue –just at the time I need them to use their new guns/ammo. :eek:

I've been using Angel Rage (Mission 2) from the GRIT campaign as a test, since they can easily expend their ammo so quickly with the first enemy encounter and task.

Btw... The Campaign, Mission, Scenario, from the Ghost Recon pack, all of the Bluefor get silenced M9 SDs as pistols (just like the original GRIT). Not sure if this is causing the issue there, since it may not be standard gear.

Thanks.

No probs with German units either. Again, only tested with ACE, which I trust for proper AI engagement ranges and weapon selection ;)

5ASjMB4dxRs

Ah, missed last 2 posts, will try to catch the bug harder :)

@ Robalo

See my post above.

Also try ordering an AI with pistol to heal his wounded teammate (with BI first aid module)

There's a large chance that after he's done healing he will take out his pistol instead of a rifle and will get stuck in one place forever.

Maybe with snipers this won't happen but often happens with all other units at least when it comes to BI module

Since this mod (AI Skills) was merged with the AI Re-Arming mod, should we remove the config_airearming.hpp from the \userconfig\asr\ folder?

Also would this mod work with a historic mod like Unsung or even i44?

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to try v1.5!

Since this mod (AI Skills) was merged with the AI Re-Arming mod, should we remove the config_airearming.hpp from the \userconfig\asr\ folder?

Also would this mod work with a historic mod like Unsung or even i44?

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to try v1.5!

Yes and yes.

For I44, here are some example settings for userconfig:

asr_ai_sys_airearming_launchers = ["I44_M1A1Bazooka", "I44_PIAT", "I44_PzFaust60", "I44_PzFaust30", "I44_RPzB54"];
asr_ai_sys_airearming_grenades = ["I44_HandGrenade_No82", "I44_HandGrenade_Mk2", "I44_HandGrenade_No36M", "I44_HandGrenade_StiHgr24", "I44_HandGrenade_StiHgr24x7"];
asr_ai_sys_airearming_smokes = ["I44_SmokeGrenade_ANM8", "I44_SmokeGrenade_NbHgr39", "I44_SmokeGrenade_M18Red", "I44_SmokeGrenade_M18Green", "I44_SmokeGrenade_M18Violet", "I44_SmokeGrenade_M18Yellow"];
asr_ai_sys_aiskill_radionet = 0;

About the pistol thing, so far I gather that there are 2 separate issues:

1. AI using pistol instead of rifle even at long ranges - caused by improper weapon configs - can be fixed easily - should not happen with just ACE for example.

2. AI getting stuck and retarded when holding a pistol and when some of these are involved: combat mode, setunitPos, various animation changes - so far I don't know how to fix this one.

Edited by Robalo_AS

(remove pistols from AI)

(remove pistols from AI)

You mean give up and let the bug win :)

Do you know if this is on CIT already ?