Sign in to follow this  
gossamersolid

Gossamer's Warfare --- Variant of Warfare BE

Try to think of possibilities that do not rely on AI :)

hmmm... AAD, AAS, CTF, DM, TDM, FF, TFF, C&H, KOTH, SC... :)

hmmm... AAD, AAS, CTF, DM, TDM, FF, TFF, C&H, KOTH, SC... :)

Was speaking more in a Warfare sense :)

I often see people being getting owned in choppers or planes because they are not familiar with mando missiles and its keys. They sometimes get frustrated, complain about Mando Missile and/or about the mission. Then i get frustrated lol because they dont get it and dont see how game changing it can be. : D

It seems only a few people are that much interested in it and checkout the readme of mma (somehow understandable). So i thought it would be good to add more help about mando missiles into the mission.

For example a new section called something like "How to use Mando Missiles" in the briefing.html. One possibility would be to add the related parts of the manual into it. This would be HUD structure, HUD modes, Custom HUDs, Helmet Mounted Displays, HUDs for Portable Sytems.

http://www.telefonica.net/web2/mandoble/mma_readmefirst.html#tg5

But it could be maybe to much information so i tried to make some small screenshots with explanations on it which explain the most important things and if people want to know more they can still go to checkout the readme. Here they are:

arma2oa2011030108221720.jpg

What do you think about adding some mando help for beginners?

Edited by Ginger McAle

I can try to add those images in, I'll take a look tonight.

EDIT: Now that I'm done my stupid Linux assignment, I've actually looked over your post.

It's really a shame that a game like arma doesn't have more aware people. I expect Call of Duty players to give up after 1 minute of something being too hard, but I didn't expect to see it here.

Mando isn't really too hard to use (as we know). I will take your screenshots and put them in a little Mando How-to Menu ingame. It will appear in the action menu when you are in a Mando-Based aircraft.

I hope people take the 30 seconds to see these images now and be able to fully enjoy what Mando has to offer.

Edited by GossamerSolid

Yeah, a middle mouse menu point will be very noticeable, great! :bounce3:

Let me know if you have improvements ideas, needed changes or need for a another screenshot explaining something different and if you want the PSD file.

Iam not sure if a additionally screenshot is needed for saying "press left control to cycle through mando operated weapons" or if it is evident enough from the first one.

Thank you Gosssamer!

Pretty good and easy to follow guide Ginger :)

I was considering to include an online help in-game, problem would be the added extra-size for script suite missions.

I was considering to include an online help in-game, problem would be the added extra-size for script suite missions.

I think it's worth it IMO. I get a lot of mando noobs playing warfare that have no clue how to use mando, then they just rage lol.

If you don't want to include the mando help though, I'm just going to put it in my warfare anyways.

I think it's worth it IMO. I get a lot of mando noobs playing warfare that have no clue how to use mando, then they just rage lol.

If you don't want to include the mando help though, I'm just going to put it in my warfare anyways.

I still don't know how to with my HOTAS. Thats why I simply stick to the ground.

This is a HOTAS...it's the first choice for any flight sim nerd like me for flying something on a PC. (Hand on throttle and stick

Edited by Beagle

This is a HOTAS...it's the first choice for any flight sim nerd like me for flying something on a PC. (Hand on throttle and stick

I believe you need to get a keyboard to joystick keymapping application if you want to use that. I'm pretty sure it's an engine limitation (correct me if I'm wrong), might want to confirm this with Mando himself.

@ Beagle

maybe here you can find some helpful info:

http://forum.warfare-tournament.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Yeah, a middle mouse menu point will be very noticeable, great! :bounce3:

Let me know if you have improvements ideas, needed changes or need for a another screenshot explaining something different and if you want the PSD file.

Iam not sure if a additionally screenshot is needed for saying "press left control to cycle through mando operated weapons" or if it is evident enough from the first one.

Thank you Gosssamer!

if you can send me psd / pdf file I will give to tournament players so they will improve the mando knowledge ( also if I hope that they already know... )

thx in advance Rubber

Beagle, with the X52 Pro (or not pro) you can directly assign key strokes to any of the joy/throttle buttons and hats. MMA works with keystrokes and you can create an MMA config for your Saitek and load it on-the-fly when you play MMA missions.

External joystick keymapping applications/drivers are only needed for way cheaper joysticks that doesnt come with their own config apps.

Beagle, with the X52 Pro (or not pro) you can directly assign key strokes to any of the joy/throttle buttons and hats. MMA works with keystrokes and you can create an MMA config for your Saitek and load it on-the-fly when you play MMA missions.

Yep, exactly the way I'm doing it since I bought the X 52. Though, something like xpadder is useful for people without integrated software for key mapping.

Thank you Mando. Yeah i thought about the same when thinking about this screenshots explanation but then i realised how "big" it is already and that this 300-400 kb will not make a big difference in file size but could and will hopefully make a bigger difference in player satisfaction and long-term player numbers. A online help in-game would be really cool Mando. :D

And honestly, your Missiles does enrich the game so strong, i dont understand why its only Gossamer that is using it in his mission and only a few other missions like a Domination mission i saw. Maybe it is that many people dont get it how to use it and dont look further into it (by example reading the manual). If you ask me Bohemia should even ask you for the permission or to pay for it to build it into the game or something like that. :yay:

if you can send me psd / pdf file I will give to tournament players so they will improve the mando knowledge ( also if I hope that they already know... )

thx in advance Rubber

Yes of course, here it is and for any use for anyone:

http://static.tsviewer.com/stuff/arma/arma2oa_2011-03-01_08-22-17-20.psd

The problem with even more manned buildings is that AI already greatly affects performance and I don't know how many more AI I want being added in.

Try to think of it in the maximum settings (as it's a possibility). We now have 8 engineers (4 per team) with 10 manned turrets. We have 80 extra AI added to the already possible 500 AI running around the map.

I don't talk about any extra AI. I can still buy inf to man these guns from barracks. The engie paratroops should count towards the max squad size. Just as usual. No extra AI ruining the server.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Also, I often see lazy people waiting for money around an AF. Never taking any towns and such. Or they just jump out and switch player slot. Boom, they got 100k again. Doing nothing. (I know that the player ID-thingy will be fixed like in Bennys.)

I would like to see a BIG money boost from capturing towns. To get people more active.

Ginger, aside of the fact that all the help can be improved and extended, for all these players playing MMA missions the following considerations must be done:

1 - When a HUD system is activated the following selfexplanatory hint is displayed:

mma_hint.jpg

2 - The MCC, TV and SAM site system have always a button indicating press F'n' for help, and in all these cases complete help is included into the system and toggleable on/off on-the-fly.

3 - For special cases there is always a message in the lower left corner indicating which key to press in order to use the special feature:

GPS targeting

Look Down camera for hitching capable choppers

Transmit target between pilot and guner and viceversa (AH64)

Engage multiple targets (F22 AIM120 mode)

Detailed instructions for all the manpads/Javelin systems

If with all of this, plus the online help, there is a player that simply dont know at all what to do and how to do, then it is better to provide this player with a wooden club as single weapon (I hope he can figure out how to use a club without extra instructions...) :D

Thanks for the help I will give it a try. Until now I never used profiles but assigned all funtions in the according game's option menu.

I don't talk about any extra AI. I can still buy inf to man these guns from barracks. The engie paratroops should count towards the max squad size. Just as usual. No extra AI ruining the server.

Well it technically does as more people would be inclined to call in the paratroopers over building barracks infantry. I'll look into it as a possibility for later on in the 3.03 betas.

I would like to see a BIG money boost from capturing towns. To get people more active.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Here's the Mando Quick Help menu which I built pretty quickly using Gaia's GUI Editor:

mmaquickhelp.jpg

That looks outstanding! What's the added size? I've got another complemetary idea which might be viable for the addon version only (or for another extra addon just for help purposes) due size, something similar but with a video control instead of a picture control. Eventually the menu action to reassign MMA keys (which already opens a dialog) might open a more advanced setup/help dialog.

That looks outstanding! What's the added size? I've got another complemetary idea which might be viable for the addon version only (or for another extra addon just for help purposes) due size, something similar but with a video control instead of a picture control. Eventually the menu action to reassign MMA keys (which already opens a dialog) might open a more advanced setup/help dialog.

Cost me 544kb, I find it worth it though. It's good to have a very quick reference for new players to Mando. Just tell them to open MMA Quick Help in their action menus.

EDIT:

3.03.b1 is ready to be tested. As with every beta I release here, there might be things broken in it. Here's the changelog:

* Bug #16446: Killing friendly targets with Mando Missiles awards bounty

* Bug #17611: Attached Vehicles Catching Fire

* Bug #17707: Disband destroys the vehicle the unit is in

* Bug #17736: Town Defense AI Not guarding towns (This bug only affected Takistan I believe, I reverted AI values back to pre-3.02 release (Patrol Distance, Spawn Distance, etc)

* Bug #17749: Disbanded units stay in the group

* Bug #17864: Major supply miscalculation

* Feature #17584: Add Missing M4 to Equipment Menu

* Feature #17971: MMA Quick Help Menu Action

* Feature #17978: New Playable Island: Tora Bora

* Support #17900: Dev Mode: Unlock all Upgrades fixed

* Task #16070: Update Mando Missile Mod to v2.4b97

* Task #17693: Raise prices of Militia Strike

* Task #17751: Ambulances are not affected by Empty Vehicle Timer anymore

* Task #17902: Support Menu: Don't allow SCUD to Rearm

* Task #17903: SCUD Launcher now fires Conventional Scuds

* Task #17972: Town Capture Cash Reward Raised

* Task #17974: Increase Camp Capture Distance

* Task #17977: Vehicles can now Capture Camps

And here's the download:

http://thegamewardens.net/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=24

or via the updater tool as always :)

Edited by GossamerSolid

3.03.b1 is ready to be tested.

I haven't posted in this thread in a while, but I thought today would be an appropriate time to throw a hearty Bravo Zulu out to Gossamer, Morgan, Xeno, and the rest of the TGW crew who contributed to the latest iteration of Gossamer's Warfare.

It's also fitting to recognize Mandoble for his hard work and continued support of MMA. As a flight sim enthusiast who uses a G940 HOTAS and

, I can attest to the value it adds to the flight experience in ArmA 2 and Gossamer's Warfare.

There are some great updates included in this beta, and I'm looking forward to all of the other exciting features, tasks, and bug fixes version 3.03 has to offer.

Keep up the great work gents!

3.03b1 can be played at TV2 :)

Thanks for joining and keeping the servers populated

(GP) Echo pointed out something that I forgot to set back to the default value while I was testing. Towns basically insta cap right now (was testing the stupid Town AI). I've set it back to default values and I've re-uploaded it and incremented the version (now v3.03.b2) to avoid confusion.

You can download it on the updater or via this link: http://thegamewardens.net/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=24

I will add a parameter that changes the cashflow of things then. You will have either "Low", "Default" or "High".

Just wondering as I don't see this listed for the upcoming 3.03 feature list: Any idea when it will be included, if at all?

I still think that the current cash flow is reaching ridiculous levels much too easily. Therefore I think it should be made more strictly dependent on individual achievements like contributing to missions, caps, kills, repairs, healings, respawns (for placing ambulances and FH's in good locations) etc.. and less on how many towns your side owns.

Furthermore, the reinforcement penalty should possibly also apply to any AI losses inflicted to your group and consist of some substantial, progressive percentage of your current balance. I think safety should play an increasingly important role as more sophisticated gear is used, just as in real life.

Maybe my view (or vision) of how this mission is to be played as to provide us players with the greatest possible immersion factor is not how the majority perceives things. But for those who share this view however, it should at least be made customizable using a set of reasonable parameters.

Btw, what I don't like in the new beta is the new feature of getting extra supply points for destroying enemy buildings. Why would such an artificial incentive be needed? Isn't the destruction of the building itself enough of an incentive (both in terms of defense and offense)?

Otherwise, keep up the brilliant work!