Sign in to follow this  
Tango01

Crashes: Wait to buy?

Hello, I really want to buy this game, played it at a friend's and loved it, but I am pretty worried about the constant crashes the game had, it were crashing to desktop every 10 to 30 min tops... version 1.52. I really like this game and want to play it online, but may be it would be better to wait for another patch? Any news about when is it coming?

Thanks in advance for any tip you may have.

Both A2 and OA are running here several hours per day without any CTD at all. This includes countless of switching forth and back between Desktop and game.

If you want to wait for a bugfree and never crashing software then you'll probably won't live long enough to see it.

I play at least 1 hour everyday, a few hours on weekends... i have had zero crashes so far with ARMA2 Combined Operations. must be something to do with your friends computer.

I very rarely have crashes with the game and then it mostly seems to be the NVidia video driver. I have Combined Operations with the latest beta.

I don't understand...I've never had crashing issues with the game except when my hardware was faulty (GPU overheating, bad drivers, or a bad PSU). I guess some people are lucky and some aren't.

I do some pretty crazy stuff with ArmA2 and I have yet to have a random CTD.

Making it CTD on purpose with an error message cause of me doing something stupid is another story... :p

I haven't had any crashes with any of the computers I've run it on. The occasional bug, yes, but no crashes.

No crashes here either and I'm running from low to midend system. Dual Core only.

PC games needs some tweaking to get most out of the experience and ArmA series especially, but it is worth a try.

Come and join the "Dark Side" Muhahaha!!!! :D

You won't regret it. You'll see . . . you gonna love it or hate it. In case you hate it, get rid of it . . . in case you love it . . . boy than you're sc***ed. LOL:D

Just do it and get it, you won't regret it.

kind regards

I had a ctd the other day and i was shocked, thats the first for me, other than that one i haven't had any problems.

Hello, I really want to buy this game, played it at a friend's and loved it, but I am pretty worried about the constant crashes the game had, it were crashing to desktop every 10 to 30 min tops... version 1.52. I really like this game and want to play it online, but may be it would be better to wait for another patch? Any news about when is it coming?

Thanks in advance for any tip you may have.

Never had a crash in either vanilla arma2 or OA. Perhaps you should recommend to your friend that he has a look at his machine? It sounds like he may have a problem somewhere.

yeah, try running a cpu test and a gpu test with error check with occt, or at least run a memory diagnostic or something.

make me think BIS are under drug influence when programming

FPDR

No crashes here! Only time it did was when G-card overheated!

You can't say "i have no crashes here!" and expect that other people don't have any. Maybe your computer is running perfectly and this game (like others) may crash for an unknown and hidden reason. It's a matter of luck. Beta versions may help improve the stability, but for other people it gets worse. Hardware is very different for each comptuer. And unstable games are plenty. I bought Starcraft 2 a few days back and i've got 2 game crashes already. Want it or not, you already are beta-testing anything that you do in a computer, it is the way it is.

80% of my crashes in ArmA2 have been video driver related, which is really not an issue anymore after i changed my gpu. The rest it are the occasional game crashes itself which do not happen often, usually happen during something cataclysmic and funny enough happen in groups. By that I mean a bunch of guys in an MP server are in a helicopter, that heli gets hit by AA, it explodes, the explosion somehow cause me to CTD or a frozen screen (probably the addons i run, GL4 and/or WarFX is a bit more taxing on your system, but damn they look nice). One to all of the other guys in that heli get the same CTD. Doesn't happen often though which is why it's always a surprise lol.

wow, my post has been deleted, because i said 'wait some more months to buy because the are some stupid bugs'. its not like you could have deleted my - i gotta admit - not very necessary sentence at the end.

Your post has been removed because of

...but many of the bugs are totally unnecessary and make me think BIS are under drug influence when programming
And next time we see such comments from you there will be some more action than just removing the post.

I used to have lots, but it's better with the new version. Bugs yes, crashes not really

Is your friends game heavily modded?

I can't speak for this game but other games I've had (Oblivion, FO3) which I added many many mods to. Became unstable & CTD'd quite a bit.

His friend may also have some of his parts over-clocked and that can result in some instabilities, even if he doesn't seem to experience them in any other game.

Wow, thanks a lot for all the comments and tips!!

Yes, it may be my friend's computer, he is not modded at all, he's a player like me (not much time for doing fancy things, just some time on weekends to play) that's why I had to ask, I don't have much time for a game which needs much work to run, and if I find a problem the most sure thing is that I won't be able to solve it quickly because of lacking the needed time.

I did some searching (google and this forum) before posting, and found out that the game had some repetitive crashes, this plus my friend's experience made me thought about waiting for next patch and then see. I own the first ARMA, and the old Operation Flashpoint, despite some minor bugs they've always run very well, I don't expect a "bug free" game (@W0lle), to say that is irony and retoric, since I never wrote about wanting a bugfree game (not polite from you W0lle, you're pretty aggressive pal...) and not what I wanted to discuss here either, I just want a game that I can play in the limited time I have. I will tell my friend to put into practice the advices given here, I guess I'll soon buy the steam version and check it out from first hand, and if I have a problem then surely you will see me around time to time asking for some help =)

Thanks a lot for all the answers you all have been very polite and helpful, no doubt that this game has a great active having such a fantastic gamer community.

If playing time is a problem, maybe Arma2 is not a game for you both. Every mission requires a lot of minutes to play, probably hours. I don't want you to despise this game, but maybe some other instant-action shooter maybe better suited for you.

This is just a comment, nothing else.

From my experiences crashes are a complete myth: the only times I've crashed are from overclocking my CPU and from mods (..... I think I've crashed .... or maybe not, can't remember). I've had bugs but only really from modes and the campaign (very few and not very serious).

The actual game is bug free for me.

A consistent crash every 10 to 30 minutes could easily sound like heat problems.

If the game is crashing regularly then 999/1,000 it's a PC issue that can be resolved with troubleshooting (which we have a forum for), if you do buy it then hopefully you won't have any such issues like the vast majority on here, but if you do you know where to go :)