Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

The fact they don't mention OFP in most of them is the problem. Though, they will give a good coop exerience as a "tactical shooter", it wont be a competitor for ArmA In any way. But perhaps more of a competitor for Rainbow series or something.

Yeah, I agree they should just drop the OFP name. It doesn't have any value in the console & casual gamer market they target anyway. If they even remember the name, they associate it with "ugly, clunky, difficult" and not "fun".

However, I think applying certain things from L4D and TF2 would benefit any game, including the Arma series (free DLC, moddability, dedicated servers, map auto-download, dev console, demo recording etc).

I´m curious if any of the Devs at CM has ever played OFP: CWC.....

Yeah, I agree they should just drop the OFP name. It doesn't have any value in the console & casual gamer market they target anyway. If they even remember the name, they associate it with "ugly, clunky, difficult" and not "fun".

However, I think applying certain things from L4D and TF2 would benefit any game, including the Arma series (free DLC, moddability, dedicated servers, map auto-download, dev console, demo recording etc).

Yeah, Good games come from devs taking good ideas and putting them together with other good ideas.

Having "ideas" from L4D and TF2 put into a shooter would make it fun and better. Overall, a good thing.

Yet, there ain't anything in FPDR and so far what we have learn about RR from ConMasters crap-talk that have show that they have any good idea at all.

Edited by 4 IN 1

On the german gaming website pcgames.de are 2 pretty interresting articles:

Titles:

- Some like it hard: the most complex simulations for PC

- When War becomes virtual realistic: the best military simulations

The first article names OFP (the original) and the ArmA series alongside of Falcon 4.0, DCS: Black Shark and MSFS.

The second article also names OFP (the original) and Armed Assault.

As far as i can tell, there is no game from CM listed...obviously. ;)

You forgot:

- More fun for free: The best mod communities

ArmA being #1 in the list ... oh and no CM either :D

Myke;1767109']As far as i can tell' date=' there is no game from CM listed...obviously. ;)[/quote']

They´ve listed CM as OFP developer though (according to their applied caption ruling throughout the rest of the pics) :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr Burns

You forgot:

- More fun for free: The best mod communities

ArmA being #1 in the list ... oh and no CM either :D

They´ve listed CM as OFP developer though (according to their applied caption ruling throughout the rest of the pics) :rolleyes:

I guess they looked just at the DVD Frontcover of OFP, they should have looked at the back as there it says "developed by BIS".

So, CM vs BI = 0 : 3 so far. :D

I'm certain that CM is more interested in making money than winning any imaginary simulator pissing-contests. Also, the two are inversely proportional so you could say they are trying their best to lose.

I'm certain that CM is more interested in making money than winning any imaginary simulator pissing-contests. Also, the two are inversely proportional so you could say they are trying their best to lose.

So what you say is that CM is more interested about making money and give a jack shit about customers opinion while BIS does? Hell, i couldn't agree more.

I think that was a fact established a long time ago, probably shortly after DR's release.

Myke;1767249']So what you say is that CM is more interested about making money and give a jack shit about customers opinion while BIS does? Hell' date=' i couldn't agree more.[/quote']

All I'm saying is they want to please a much larger audience than the last couple of hundred PC simulator freaks.

Of which you surely are one if you're on these forums.

Do you at least acknowledge that it makes zero sense for them to be trying to appeal to an audience outside of simulation fans by retaining the Operation Flashpoint name?

Of which you surely are one if you're on these forums.

Yeah, kind of. I would never be gaming on console and I play some simulators every now and then.

Do you at least acknowledge that it makes zero sense for them to be trying to appeal to an audience outside of simulation fans by retaining the Operation Flashpoint name?

Yes. I've said it numerous times that I don't think it makes much sense for them to use it. However, they own the legal right so there's little point in staying angry about it forever.

Much like Max Payne 3, I don't intend going on a crusade against Rockstar if they completely ruin it, even though I loved the Remedy MP games. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Im just curious as to what the fall out with BIS was over? I need a history guys :)

I don't think any specifics were ever released. I think that the two bodies were unable to come to a consensus about who gets what rights. I think CM wanted more control over products than BIS was willing to give up, so the parties didn't do any further business together.

Im just curious as to what the fall out with BIS was over? I need a history guys :)

I don't think it was a fallout as such, just an end of contract. CM published OFP, retained the name, but not the engine. It was probably a good means to an end, but giving up the name still must have hurt a little :)

However, I believe ArmA to have at least as good a name now, and with the release of RR etc probably even a better one. Things change, we move on :)

Yea It really isn't that big of a deal.

Unless gaming is your main passtime, and the only genre you actually really like and can play forever gets raped by publishers and 'new' developers.

Then it becomes somewhat of a big deal. And then there is the principle of it, which some seem to throw away like principles are garbage.

EDIT:

Also, your post could do without the condescending nature. I am not a freak.

You misunderstood the point I was trying to make. I was merely trying to convey what I think CM are probably thinking like. Not express my personal opinion about the glorious PC gaming master race, which I admire deeply and am a proud member of.

How did CM "rape the genre" by releasing a game which doesn't belong into the genre? DR only had positive effect on Arma2 as far as I can tell (namely sudden introduction of long-requested laser pointers, thermal imaging and flashlights after DR featured them).

Wow, really no new information on that game in here for some time now. I haven't traversed to the CM forums for a while so I thought i'd take a peak...

...anybody here seen Waiting For Godot? That's exactly what it feels like over there. Listless, lifeless, 2 guys who don't know whether to stand up or sit down, awaiting some vague dreamy promise that they can't even articulate in their own minds, a couple of slaves and the occassional sadist overlord who stops by to lash his whip.

Theatre to video game analogy out!

How did CM "rape the genre" by releasing a game which doesn't belong into the genre? DR only had positive effect on Arma2 as far as I can tell (namely sudden introduction of long-requested laser pointers, thermal imaging and flashlights after DR featured them).

I wasnt referring to just CM. CM is a part of the problem, but Ubisoft is the main one after raping Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon.

And considering there wont be a new Hidden and Dangerous or SWAT title (and if there are going to be, they will most likely go the Vegas/GRAW/DR route), that leaves us pretty much optionless.

The only modern thing we have left is ArmA 2, and next year Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad. And even RO2 will have a relaxed realism mode (which i dislike very much. We've given so much to the mainstream gaming community, that it feels wrong to move back just another inch. I am in a 'not one step back!' mode.

Yeah, it's sad but you can't really do anything about it unless you can somehow convert the common denominator to like hardcore realistic shooters. Shareholders like money.

I'm really excited for RO2 too, and hey at least it's PC exclusive and Tripwire are known for mod support (they started as a mod team after all), free stuff in patches etc.

Mod Teams are often the best teams you will come accross. I'm guessing PR Devs could make quite a bit of money if they made their PR2 game more, well, Hyped. As that could be quite a good game.

Mod Teams are often the best teams you will come accross. I'm guessing PR Devs could make quite a bit of money if they made their PR2 game more, well, Hyped. As that could be quite a good game.

Nope, because PR isnt mainstream, most bf2/cod/moh/DR/RR players will never touch pr longer than for a try...

I saw that over years of playing PR (10th comm).

There are only 2 options you like it or hate it, and the most casual fps players will hate it...

How long you play pr? 2-3 days? startet with 091?

Dont talk bullshit. I play pr since 0.3, and i know that pr is only for real fans of the genre. You will never become the crowd playing such games because they are to complex. Its like the Arma "problem" to become new players...

They planed to release pr2 as indie game over a platform with period costs. But pr2 is years ahead.

This week 095 is comming and in some time Arma pr will follow.

Edited by Pain0815