Sign in to follow this  
noubernou

ACRE v1.0 - Advanced Combat Radio Environment - Official Thread (ArmA2 to TS3 Plugin)

Is it already possible to cycle through preset radio channels with a shortcut key? Or is it something that might get implemented in the future?

You're right about the fact that in real life you have to switch the channels noubernou. So from that point of view I understand it completely. But sometimes it's good to find a healthy balance between sim and real life :)

I wonder how communication goes in real life with these radio's...

Is it already possible to cycle through preset radio channels with a shortcut key? Or is it something that might get implemented in the future?

You're right about the fact that in real life you have to switch the channels noubernou. So from that point of view I understand it completely. But sometimes it's good to find a healthy balance between sim and real life :)

I wonder how communication goes in real life with these radio's...

Its something that will be added in the future.

In real life its much the same as it is in ACRE. Of course in real life its usually easier to just reach down and turn the dial on your 148 to the next channel too (well maybe not "easier" but more natural). Also a lot of handsets and mic units have a button to change the channel too on it. On the actual 117F the whole display unit can detach from the radio set and be attached to your vest via cable so you dont even have to really open your backpack up to mess with it.

Thanks for the info noubernou.

That's what I meant with healthy balance. Like you said in real life it feels more natural to turn the dial, but in a simulation environment it's not always handy. While in real life you just turn the dial with your fingers, in game you have to press keyboard keys and use the mouse, which takes much longer. The added time can be vital when you're in an ambush for example.

But if shortcut keys to switch channels are going to be implemented in the future, it would solve a lot of problems. Sounds great in fact :)

Keep up the good work!

Nou, is retrans being fixed in today's update?

It was rebroadcasting over all nets instead of just the desired net in the array.

Nou, is retrans being fixed in today's update?

It was rebroadcasting over all nets instead of just the desired net in the array.

S2, I still am not able to reproduce this. :( I've tried numerous times.

Also todays update might be late, have to see what we can get done stability wise.

S2, I still am not able to reproduce this. :( I've tried numerous times.

Also todays update might be late, have to see what we can get done stability wise.

We did reproduce this last night... It opened a can of worms! :yay:

Currently this mostly holding up this release, and it will probably be pushed back to Monday due to the weekend. :(

woohoo I found something!

STOP FINDING THINGS!! ;)

(I want to live in my little world where I believe ACRE is all capable and stable :p)

Nou, eagerly awaiting your refined codechild.

hopefully this update will fix the the Numerous TS3 crashes

There was regression in 1.0.11 for sure. Please use 1.0.10.

United Operations and HC played a joint operation yesterday with 60 people using 1.0.10. The only issues were people that had bad installs in the first place. Other than that ACRE worked 100% for over 2 hours.

Lynn is using 1.0.10(were in the same clan), and many of us are experiencing numerous TS3 crashes, had 3 of them myself in a two hour period.

When it works though, it works very well.

Edited by sparks50

Lynn is using 1.0.10(were in the same clan), and many of us are experiencing numerous TS3 crashes, had 3 of them myself in a two hour period.

When it works though, it works very well.

If you are crashing please post crash dump files! We can not fix crashes with out these dumps. We rarely if often ever have crashes in our testing groups, so PLEASE get them to Jaynus or myself so we can debug them.

where can these crash dump files be located?

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

there is a crash where to get the constant quick Audio loop in TS and have to quit TS via Task Manager. and also a crash where myself or other users would/will TS crash having to reload TS again.

I only noticed the crashes happening with 10 or more people on with ACRE. All running the same version of ACRE 1.0.10

But this is a weekly thing due to our sunday ops having 25+ members playing.

If I knew anything bout the crash dump files i would have posted them asap

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Also Nou are you also using the lastest version or Jayarma2lib or the version already included with rar v:1.0.10?

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Found out through yalls Wiki but the Crash files arent there. and the Acre Log reseted itself

* How many players were in the game?25

* How many players were in TS3? 27

* Were you anomalous behavior from ACRE before the crash? huh?

* Was the server or your system under heavy load or desync? nope

* Were you, or someone else, talking when the crash happened? Radio or Direct? How many? How long? Yes bout 3-5 people both through direct, 119 and 148

* Had you, or someone else, JUST stopped talking when the crash happened? Radio or Direct? How many? How long before? Yes just done talking through direct. unknown

* Was death/respawn involved when you crashed? No

* Were you running? flying? dead? starting a new mission? Eating chicken? Eating Chicken Fajitas and was standing awaiting orders

This is just for yesterdays op and i cant speak for my other m8's crash errors but will also advise them in the Crash reporting

Hi guys,

Have you ever come across the issue whereby when somebody dies and respawns outside of local hearing range they are not able to hear or be heard by certain other players, despite regrouping and standing right next to them?

This issue only seems resolvable once TS is restarted.

We are using the 1.0.10(f) version of ACRE and TS Beta 29.

Appreciate any feedback.

In VCB we're quite big fans of the ACRE radio sets, despite their spotiness (we're still using the 11 beta, mainly since it's a bloody pain in the arse trying to get everyone in the unit to downgrade, and the PRRs are still working pretty well for us)

Leads to some very british communication failures, however

Our last op, (all the communications failures seemed to have missed my camera, haha)

C08G3ORXQIQ

where can these crash dump files be located?

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

there is a crash where to get the constant quick Audio loop in TS and have to quit TS via Task Manager. and also a crash where myself or other users would/will TS crash having to reload TS again.

I only noticed the crashes happening with 10 or more people on with ACRE. All running the same version of ACRE 1.0.10

But this is a weekly thing due to our sunday ops having 25+ members playing.

If I knew anything bout the crash dump files i would have posted them asap

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Also Nou are you also using the lastest version or Jayarma2lib or the version already included with rar v:1.0.10?

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Found out through yalls Wiki but the Crash files arent there. and the Acre Log reseted itself

* How many players were in the game?25

* How many players were in TS3? 27

* Were you anomalous behavior from ACRE before the crash? huh?

* Was the server or your system under heavy load or desync? nope

* Were you, or someone else, talking when the crash happened? Radio or Direct? How many? How long? Yes bout 3-5 people both through direct, 119 and 148

* Had you, or someone else, JUST stopped talking when the crash happened? Radio or Direct? How many? How long before? Yes just done talking through direct. unknown

* Was death/respawn involved when you crashed? No

* Were you running? flying? dead? starting a new mission? Eating chicken? Eating Chicken Fajitas and was standing awaiting orders

This is just for yesterdays op and i cant speak for my other m8's crash errors but will also advise them in the Crash reporting

I am using an older version of the lib, can't remember off the top of my head. Probably a month old now.

If you get the audio looping crashes (actually these are called hangs, something somewhere in TS3/ACRE is blocking further execution) you can get a dump in Vista/7 by right clicking on the task when you go to end it and selecting the option to dump memory (actual verbiage is probably different) and it will save it someplace (says where).

;1771993']Hi guys' date='

Have you ever come across the issue whereby when somebody dies and respawns outside of local hearing range they are not able to hear or be heard by certain other players, despite regrouping and standing right next to them?

This issue only seems resolvable once TS is restarted.

We are using the 1.0.10(f) version of ACRE and TS Beta 29.

Appreciate any feedback.[/quote']

This is odd. Restarting TS3 would seem to not be the solution in that case... It might be the result of the "random" muting issue in TS3 that ACRE seems to exacerbate.

In VCB we're quite big fans of the ACRE radio sets, despite their spotiness (we're still using the 11 beta, mainly since it's a bloody pain in the arse trying to get everyone in the unit to downgrade, and the PRRs are still working pretty well for us)

Leads to some very british communication failures, however

Our last op, (all the communications failures seemed to have missed my camera, haha)

C08G3ORXQIQ

Thanks. :)

As its been suggested before and reminded to me just now, setting cpu affinity to 1 for TS3 solves a number of the crash issues for TS3 and ACRE since it limits execution to one core and prevents race issues from occurring in the code.

thanks nou for the info! looking forward for the update as well!

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Also is there any other ACRE functions for mission makers other than whats listed on the WIKI's API list?

And could you maybe clarify these 2 functions for me?

Retransmit Functions¶

acre_api_fnc_createRxmtStatic

Parameters: Position, Frequency, Frequency, Power

Example: [[0,0,0], 80.025, 81.025, 20000] call acre_api_fnc_createRxmtStatic;

Return Value: Boolean

Description: Creates a static, non-moving retransmission point at the specified position that retransmits from the first frequency, to the second frequency and in reverse as well (ie: transmissions on 80.025 will be heard on 81.025 and vica versa). All retransmission will be done at the specified power. Do not use the same frequency for both frequency values!

acre_api_fnc_attachRxmtToObj

Parameters: Object, Frequency, Frequency, Power

Example: [someObject, 80.025, 81.025, 20000] call acre_api_fnc_attachRxmtToObj;

Return Value: Boolean

Description: Creates a retransmission point which will be attached to the provided object that retransmits from the first frequency, to the second frequency and in reverse as well (ie: transmissions on 80.025 will be heard on 81.025 and vica versa). All retransmission will be done at the specified power. Do not use the same frequency for both frequency values!

If i understand correctly the first and second one could possibly be set to static and moving objects to act as more or so as a Radio Tower?

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

never mind on the API functions. after going through the first 50 pages i found the example mission

I have another question about the distance of the radios.

What is the maximum distance 2 players can be apart and still hear each other with the AN/PRC-148? And what is the distance of the AN/PRC-119?

I'm asking because we did a small test to check what distance we could get (we always tried to have LOS). With the AN/PRC-119 we got almost to 3 miles, but for example turning on PA mode when inside a vehicle didn't change anything to the signal, there was still noise and 3 miles seemed to be the maximum distance.

With the AN/PRC-148 I think we got around 1 mile (and that was on an open field).

We are using 1.0.11.210 HOTFIX1

I have another question about the distance of the radios.

What is the maximum distance 2 players can be apart and still hear each other with the AN/PRC-148? And what is the distance of the AN/PRC-119?

I'm asking because we did a small test to check what distance we could get (we always tried to have LOS). With the AN/PRC-119 we got almost to 3 miles, but for example turning on PA mode when inside a vehicle didn't change anything to the signal, there was still noise and 3 miles seemed to be the maximum distance.

With the AN/PRC-148 I think we got around 1 mile (and that was on an open field).

We are using 1.0.11.210 HOTFIX1

Yea the code for the signal strength is all wacky in 1.0.11. I was trying to make it more noisy at no loss in range (just more base noise, had complaints that it sounded too clean even at good signal) but ended up botching it and bonking the range. Also there is an odd bug, that for some reason didnt seem that noticeable in older versions where the terrain loss model was getting pissed at flat terrain (spurious loss values, probably due to how I sample the terrain and VHF bands intersecting below the terrain level and getting attenuated more than it should be).

When it is working...

The AN/PRC-148 should get about 12-14Km on its highest power on most bands when equipped with the same antennas and using the bands optimal for them. If you are using a AN/PRC-148 with the UHF antenna (which you were most likely not as the VHF is default) and tried to use it on the VHF bands you'd get much less range, probably half that (across the lower VHF band/SINCGARS its pretty close to -30dBi on the antenna).

The AN/PRC-119 to AN/PRC-119 or VHF AN/PRC-148 should be about 10-12Km across all its bands on high power (PRC-119 can only do VHF SINCGARS bands). PA should kick this out to about 35-40Km.

These are all under ideal conditions (good line of sight basically). If you start putting hills and mountains in between you expect much much less range.

Antennas are 1.0.11+ features.

As its been suggested before and reminded to me just now, setting cpu affinity to 1 for TS3 solves a number of the crash issues for TS3 and ACRE since it limits execution to one core and prevents race issues from occurring in the code.

Hey that's neat. Do you think that you could add a shortcut for TS3 to the desktop (if the target OS is Vista/7 only though) that has a target line of this?

c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 c:\path_to_ts3_detected_from_plugin_tool\ts3client_win64.exe" (or/and ts3client_win32.exe if found)

This would cause it to start on CPU0. You could name it 'TS3 ACRE (x64)' or something?

I don't know about solutions for XP, but this sure would make it more stable for a larger portion of people that have Vista/7. (I've had to help a lot of people with the #@! Six Updater version of ACRE, I noticed most of them have these OS's)

Send me a PM if you'd like any help with adding this, or the installer, etc.

Cheers

Enjoying ACRE, problems and all.

Don't have much to add except:

1. Real PRC-148 has channel knob center, power-vol knob on the side. ACRE has them reversed.

2. Would love a portable antenna for RTOs to deploy and plug into.

This is odd. Restarting TS3 would seem to not be the solution in that case... It might be the result of the "random" muting issue in TS3 that ACRE seems to exacerbate.

What is strange is that it mostly/almost exclusively happens when you die though as opposed to randomly muting someone (clientside) while your alive and well.

I'm sure I can convince a bunch of bods to try to get some more results on this. If there's anything in particular you want us to give a try on to get more info on that issue, feel free to send me a PM or post here!

To be honest, that is at the moment the biggest issue our group has with ACRE at the moment (the 'can't hear you, even though you're next to me' thing) - and I realize that this could also be down to TS3. Just seems odd that it seems to be pronounced right after death.

Still loving it though :)

One or two last questions as well, if you don't mind?

1. I thought I read this somewhere, but for the life of me can't find it again in this thread. Would you advise moving to TS Beta 32 if we're using 1.0.10(f) ?

2. You mentioned 'bad installs' in the UO/HC game. Could you clarify in case any of our numbers might have a bad install as well?

Thanks muchly!

Edited by Harlow[16AA]

Let me answer this:

;1773043']

One or two last questions as well' date=' if you don't mind?

1. I thought I read this somewhere, but for the life of me can't find it again in this thread. Would you advise moving to TS Beta 32 if we're using 1.0.10(f) ?

[/quote']

Nou stated, that switching to TS3 Beta32 is no problem. The API is unchanged and there should be no (new) issues.

;1773043']

2. You mentioned 'bad installs' in the UO/HC game. Could you clarify in case any of our numbers might have a bad install as well?

Thanks muchly!

I think that was a statement regarding what issues people have with ACRE 1.0.10. The answer was' date=' there were no issues for the UO community except when you handle the plugin in a wrong way, thus introducing user-made problems.

Examples are:

[list']

[*]not running TS as administrator

[*]having voice activation enabled and NOT Push-To-Talk on 32 bit versions of TS

[*]forgetting about the dsound.dll