Sign in to follow this  
pele93

OA Out of memory error

Where exactly are those files lol, im searchin but not finding.

I have the STEAM version so i dont know if that places them somewhere different or not.

Anywhoz, I just crashed in editor...1st time thats happend.

How can I flush without bringing up the shift-minus menu (no numpad).

I suspect that minimizing the game and waiting for CPU load to return to idle has a similar effect, but it takes time.

I might have found a solution to the SLX causing the memory error crashes, at least it worked for me. I was running SLX v2.3 (most up to date that I found) and was having the CTD with the no more memory error after about 10 minutes of play time (either hosting a dedicated server in the background and joining it, or hosting locally, MP or SP). I'd updated my video drivers, and set my Phsyx to CPU and turned off ambient occlusion in the Nvidia Control Panel as Dwarden had suggested. Nor that or any combination of -maxmem seemed to work as long as SLX was enabled. However, I went into the @SLX folder and was getting ready to do some strip testing to see if there was a particular pbo causing the problem, and I by chance, moved the wound_heads pbo and bisign from the options folder into the main folder to enable it. Since then I have played and hosted 10 different games using different setups, SLX and non-SLX, and played each for roughly two hours each, and I have yet to have a crash at all. Prior to I was unable to play more than 10 minutes in any game using SLX with any other mod or setup combination.

If anyone else could test this out and let me know if you have the same results, maybe we could get this figured out.

I'm having the same issue using vanillia CO+BAF latest official patch 1.56.

I've opened a CIT for this. I guess it's not only related to XLS.

I guess OA.exe is just doing a jam with pagefile/ ram and Vram.

Too bad because I'm having good perf with that patch!

Hi.

I had the same issue and fixed it by increasing my Swap file size.

here's how:

1. open the windows start menu
  2. right click on Computer select Properties
  3. in the System Window click on Advanced System Settings at the left of the window
    a small window opens with the Advanced Tab active -
  4. select Settings under Performance (the top most option)
    another small window opens
  5. go to the second Tab (Advanced) and click on Change... under the Vitrual Memory Option

you will see yet another small window.

• now uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
  • select the top most drive in the scroll field (should be C: )
  • check Custom Size
  • enter the same number in both Fields (Initial Size and Maximum Size)
    [The value should be 2.5 * the ammount of your RAM - e.g. 4GB system RAM * 2.5 = 10000]
  • now click on Set to confirm the setting.
  • OK out of all those windows, you might have to restart Windows.
    Thats it.
    The 2.5 times thing seems to be a general recommendation when it comes to windows performance. It has been since WIN98 - dont ask me why :) but when i adjusted this ARMA stopped crashing - and i dont argue with results.

Edit: Of course this means you need to have the required ammount of free HD space on that partition.

Tip:It can help immensly to have the swap file on a different Physical drive than the game since the virtual memory file is constantly being accessed as is the game folder.

Edited by Mc Speedfreak

this works, tryed it no problems here, and it stops the black screen and white flashing,

Well I went and deleted my SLX file in my A2 directory and placed it in my OA directory just to see if maybe that was it.....

First time through on a mission I made with no modules everything seemed to run fine.

cant say I played it for too long before I decided to try one out with a lil more...bang

Bout 10 minutes into it I get a SOLID lock up, no cntrol, alt, delete...

Just sit back and wait until it decides to let go...

I didnt find a "wounds_head.pbo" but I did find a few wounds.pbo's?

Might those be the ones you mean and should I move them?

I'd REALLY like the SLX mod and hope someone figures this out soon.

Well, it looks like i have finally joined you guys here. After only ever having this out of memory crash problem once (with a previous beta release), I now, with the latest patch get it regular as clock work on the 1 hour mark.

I am however able to CLT + DEL + ALT out and open Task manger, so when doing this i noticed that the memory usage was upto 100,000. So deffo memory issue in the latest patch, since i never had the problem with any other official patch releases.

In The Arm2 RPT File it says the following

ErrorMessage: Out of memory (requested 5 KB).

footprint 1018494976 KB.

pages 32768 KB.

And just for the record my System specs are below in the spoiler.

Windows 7 64 bit

8GB RAM

Intel I7 Quad Core 2.8 Ghz

ATI 5700 1GB Ram

SATA 1TB Hard drive

Edited by teaboy

Well, it looks like i have finally joined you guys here. After only ever having this out of memory crash problem once (with a previous beta release), I now, with the latest patch get it regular as clock work on the 1 hour mark.

I am however able to CLT + DEL + ALT out and open Task manger, so when doing this i noticed that the memory usage was upto 100,000. So deffo memory issue in the latest patch, since i never had the problem with any other official patch releases.

In The Arm2 RPT File it says the following

ErrorMessage: Out of memory (requested 5 KB).

footprint 1018494976 KB.

pages 32768 KB.

And just for the record my System specs are below in the spoiler.

Windows 7 64 bit

8GB RAM

Intel I7 Quad Core 2.8 Ghz

ATI 5700 1GB Ram

SATA 1TB Hard drive

8GB of RAM here also and having the occasional problem, wonder if the 8gig problem has returned from the dead. Had some of the old visual problems showing up briefly at the start of games loading up etc, eg the missing textures. Only talking about for seconds here but it was like having deja vu as soon as I seen it happening.

I sorted the problem at the moment by rolling back to an older NVIDIA driver I know as being rock solid for ARMA2 and switched the graphic mem down to very high from default in the graphics options.

8GB of RAM here also and having the occasional problem, wonder if the 8gig problem has returned from the dead. Had some of the old visual problems showing up briefly at the start of games loading up etc, eg the missing textures. Only talking about for seconds here but it was like having deja vu as soon as I seen it happening.

I sorted the problem at the moment by rolling back to an older NVIDIA driver I know as being rock solid for ARMA2 and switched the graphic mem down to very high from default in the graphics options.

Now that you mentioned it, yes i too get the texture issue for a few seconds after initialization of both new game or from a saved game. I use an ATI card so, it does seem like its the old 8GB ram issue again or similar atleast.

Now that you mentioned it, yes i too get the texture issue for a few seconds after initialization of both new game or from a saved game. I use an ATI card so, it does seem like its the old 8GB ram issue again or similar atleast.

Does this 8GB ram issue effect people with 6GB?

If i remember rightly, the issue wasnt just confined to 8gb ram, as those with lower RAM had it too, but those with 8Gb+ Ram where effected the most by it though.

So yeah it is possible that it effets systems with lower RAM as well.

Hi all .. i think it did the job to disable slx mod .. its very nice now . But at the same time its very damm sad because i did loved slx :( . i hope that the slx team will come out with a updated version ..

Regards

fouba74

Downloaded the patch today and now get nothing but "Out Of Memory" CTD's after a few minutes of playing. Followed the instructions on increasing the page file with no luck.

Got 6GB's of RAM.

ok i had 8 GB of ram in, i removed 4GB and now arma runs no problems.

I hope this bug is sorted,

Edited by baz44331

Beta patch...back to crashing :/

Was fine until I updated to the new beta, now after a while I'm getting the out of memory again...

It definitly takes it some time before it crashes and I did have ALOT going on the map but still...before the new beta it would run fine.

After all the fixes on BI's end and my end I cant remember what fixed what...not sure if it was the patch, something I removed, something conflicting with the new patch...I just dont know anymore

And yeah...fix SLX!

that mod makes things so much more fun :p

Guys i tired the user made mission Call To Glory (Found here) and boy try playing that is impossible.

Within in the first 2 mins of playing the game will crash with the out of memory issue. So this mission seems to play on the out of memory issue and may give an idea into what is behind the issue, to the dev's. (thats if its not the mission thats broke).

Any of you guys tried this mission and get the same problem? if so we can use the mission to replecate the out of memory issue to for the Devs to try out and look at.

i got a new rig friday with 6 gig of ram and win7 ..as opposed to 4 gig in old rig with vista..old rig NEVER had out of memory problem ..get it constantly at 1-2 hour mark no matter what i do now..everything exactly same cept of the os and ram

Same Problem on a 4Gb memory, Nvidia 8800Gt (no Vsync,and so on). appears to be for me the first time I encounter the out of memory Prob.

It's a pity .Mission seems to be outstanding for the little I play on.

Anyway Thanks !

PS : post related to Call to Glory v1.5 mission (Teaboy)

Edited by charlytwo

no response? theres some kind of memory leak, i can't play since i bought from steam i can't roll back to eaelier version. Is anyone looking into this?

i have mentioned this in the patch 1.56 bug report thread, and Dwarden (on of the devs) did post on the same page (possibly next page) of the thread so i assume they are well aware of this issue, and no doubt the moderators here will have pointed them to this thread.

The issue itself has been around since Arma 2 was first released, its just that the latest patch made it a hell of a lot worse for some of us, unfortunately.

Nothing new except for the fact that I played multiplayer with 4 other players for 9 hours before I got the afore mentioned "out of memory" one player got it three times and another player twice. Haven't had the issue since ArmA.

Hi.

I had the same issue and fixed it by increasing my Swap file size.

here's how:

1. open the windows start menu
  2. right click on Computer select Properties
  3. in the System Window click on Advanced System Settings at the left of the window
    a small window opens with the Advanced Tab active -
  4. select Settings under Performance (the top most option)
    another small window opens
  5. go to the second Tab (Advanced) and click on Change... under the Vitrual Memory Option

you will see yet another small window.

• now uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
  • select the top most drive in the scroll field (should be C: )
  • check Custom Size
  • enter the same number in both Fields (Initial Size and Maximum Size)
    [The value should be 2.5 * the ammount of your RAM - e.g. 4GB system RAM * 2.5 = 10000]
  • now click on Set to confirm the setting.
  • OK out of all those windows, you might have to restart Windows.
    Thats it.
    The 2.5 times thing seems to be a general recommendation when it comes to windows performance. It has been since WIN98 - dont ask me why :) but when i adjusted this ARMA stopped crashing - and i dont argue with results.

Edit: Of course this means you need to have the required ammount of free HD space on that partition.

Tip:It can help immensly to have the swap file on a different Physical drive than the game since the virtual memory file is constantly being accessed as is the game folder.

I think you are spot on here. I never have the out of memory issue, even with really heavy load missions (including mission Call to Glory that was reffered to on page 7), because my virtual memory is increased a lot (at least 4 times more then normal).

At least I think thats the reason why I never have those crashes....

Edited by B00tsy

I think you are spot on here. I never have the out of memory issue, even with really heavy load missions (including mission Call to Glory that was reffered to on page 7), because my virtual memory is increased a lot (at least 4 times more then normal).

At least I think thats the reason why I never have those crashes....

Except for that the fact that those of us with over 4GB Ram should never have to increase the Page File size to run a game, not even even Arma 2. And no game needs to use over 1,000,000K in memory usage, which is what Arma 2 usage is on my rig when i have to bring up the task manager to close the game when the out of memory error occurs.

Increasing the Page file is just a work around that we should not have to use.

The real question here is - Why is it those with low amounts of RAM dont seem to have this issue of running out of memory, while those of us with more RAM are running out of memory constantly? Logic and common sense says it should be the other way round.

the game uses memory in several ways both directly and indirectly (file cache) thus the pagefile play role ...