Sign in to follow this  
MavericK96

New Beta Build 71141 up!

Your GPU is almost maxed out, your CPU has plenty of room.

I would lower the AA to 4x or the "high" setting, you will notice your CPU usage go up and FPS too (probably).

Try without any AA and see how u go, should let the CPU usage go up.

I was just thinking about that. I'll redo the benches.

Avg (exthreads 0 & cpucount 8)

49.7 FPS

Avg (exthreads 7 & cpucount 8)

CTD When I load some islands.

WOW! What a hell of a patch! :bounce3:

The performance gain is enormous, the LOD changing is really much better on my quad core with exthreads=7, but for me it's better to use "default" for texture memory size instead of "maximum" to gain even better and almost unnoticable texture switching even with scoped rifles at Chernogorsk.

Overall it seems like a new game! Well done BIS! :D

My settings:

Visibility: 4604

Texture quality: maximum

Video memory: default

Anizotrop filtering: maximum

Antialiasing: normal

Terrain detail: maximum

Object detail: maximum

Shadow detail: high

Postprocessing: OFF

Resolution: 1680x1050 @ 100%

Intel Q8200 @ 2,8Ghz, 4GB RAM, HD4890, Win7

P.s: If only you could sort out those z-fighting effects also - that would be like second Xmas... :rolleyes:

Edited by Stargun

I have quite a performance gain with exThreads=7...im now in stable 26FPS range in Benchmark 1 with 3000m viewdistance.

exThreads=3 gave me only 24.

No engine related problems found so far.

I CtD'ed earlier with this beta when I tried to play a custom sound in vehicle chat while not in a vehicle.

I thought this bug was fixed, but I might be wrong. :)

anyone else get a CTD with ACE's rest weapon feature? lots of addons don't work with this beta for me.. but i love the new performance

The only issue so far is those random 3-5 FPS bouts of slowdown that I'm getting in the costalFlight benchmark. As I posted before, every time it occurs I get a bunch of this repeating in the .RPT file:

Virtual memory total 2047 MB (2147352576 B)
Virtual memory free 167 MB (175837184 B)
Physical memory free 3284 MB (3443736576 B)
Page file free 7924 MB (8309960704 B)
Process working set 1149 MB (1205788672 B)
Process page file used 1367 MB (1433468928 B)
Runtime reserved 486 MB (509607936 B)
Runtime committed 293 MB (307253248 B)
Longest free VM region: 14811136 B, busy 1988648960 B, free 158769152 B
Small mapped regions: 10, size 53248 B

This is a similar .RPT instance to when I was getting the "Receving..." screen in the middle of gameplay, except this has no "error in v-buffer creation" at the start. So I guess overall this is an improvement? Massive slowdown is better than a crash or a "Receiving..." screen I suppose, but still a little bit of work to do to get it totally ironed out. :cool:

EDIT: I've created a tracker issue for this problem here: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/10994

Edited by MavericK96

Performance raised for my sys.

Sadly still only ZF sight for the G36 though :(

anyone else get a CTD with ACE's rest weapon feature?

Yes, and reported.

anyone else get a CTD with ACE's rest weapon feature? lots of addons don't work with this beta for me.. but i love the new performance

Haha yes me too, just happened a minute ago...

Other than that, performance or the, what i call, "overall smoothness factor" with Quadcore and -exthreads=7 has much improved for me... :D:yay:

I ctd when using the shortcut or exe in the beta folder, but when I launch it with YAS I have no issues.

Confirmed, performance has skyrocketed for me - I don't know exact numbers, but the difference is very significant.

Today I had first BSOD in ArmA due to load on GPU :p I am finally able to play the game, not watch the slideshow. However there are problems with very frequent CTDs caused with 3rd party addons (ACE weapon rest is the most deadly), seems that not everything is foolproof yet.

If it's possible please keep the performance as high as possible ^^ if there is some special knowledge that would save us those CTDs please share! Evidence of one of such crashes:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/10995

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/10996

Edited by zGuba

Extra threading now enabled by default on computers with more that 2 CPUs

Which -exThreads value is used by default if one isn't specified?

Which -exThreads value is used by default if one isn't specified?

0 at <3 cores

7 at 3> cores

i think on 3 core AMDs it also uses 0 as default

0 at <3 cores

7 at 3> cores

i think on 3 core AMDs it also uses 0 as default

That's interesting. So by using no exThreads parameter, it will default to 7 on a quad core? I tested exThreads=0, and that was different than 7, but it sounds like 0 is not the default for a quad core anymore, or am I mistaken?

All my addon islands are crashing with this new beta? ALL OF THEM; Utes and and the other one cherunus or whatever it is work fine?

Anybody here have this setup or something similar:

I7 920 quad core @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB DDR 3 ram, nividia geforce 9800 GT 512, just wondering what framrate I should be getting with this setup on cherunus? It dips around in the low 20s frequently? Would it beneift me to buy another 9800 GT and run SLI? Not sure about this Max frames ahead setting being on 8? Is that what everybody is doing these days with a nividia?

Edited by stevedrumsdw

I'm using Max Frames Ahead set at 8 because it seems to make the mouse movement smoother, though I've tried setting it back to default (3) with no change in stability, personally.

I'm using Max Frames Ahead set at 8 because it seems to make the mouse movement smoother, though I've tried setting it back to default (3) with no change in stability, personally.

What about maxium prerendered frames ahead in nividia control panel? Oh and the physics GPU accleration what did you have that set on? thanks for the hep by the way.

Ok well, I can't get anything to work right in this beta, but thats why its a beta I suppose:) ACE crashes here and there, and for some reason all islands addons I have are CTD.

Edited by stevedrumsdw

That's what I meant by "Max Frames Ahead"...There is no other option in the nVidia control panel that allows those settings (1 through 8). And I have PhysX GPU acceleration on. I've heard of people getting better performance with it off, but I've tried both on and off and seen no difference whatsoever.

Sadly still only ZF sight for the G36 though :(

Never mind, started another usermade sp mission and now it works, only burst mode is gone what`s no problem at least for me :D

Performancewise great step forward BI :ok:

71195 is up, only new changelog entry is:

[71143] Improved: -cpuCount=4 is now default on computers with more than four logical CPUs to prevent hyperthreading causing performance problems. If you want to use more CPUs, use -cpuCount=N to override this.

On Quad Core (Q6600) I got best fps improvement (compared to stable 1.05) by NOT using the -exThreads param. Using "7" is still an improvement but less than no param at all.

Haven't run any longer test so I cannot comment on stutter/LOD switch etc.

been away abit so just started testing the new betas. i've discovered that I cant select duala island in the editor while using the beta, it just crashes to desktop informing me that arma has encountered a problem and needs to close. works fine with vanilla 1.05. No issue with other user islands podagorsk and sbrodj. All parameters entered correctly. If this is known problem with some user islands I'll shut my hole.

yep, m60 in particular