Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Why ArmA2 players are smarter then CS/COD.

Am i the only one who got the jokes right from the start? Is it really that hard? :D

Yes, staring for 15 minutes at a crate must have become quite a norm in A2 for so many people to miss the jokes here :D

because...

... they know that other players will always appreciate friendly bombs dropped on their heads ('but I was providing CAS').

... realism means thirty soldiers all walking around the battle-field with a SMAW and DMR (substitute shortdot and AT4 in ACE).

... not one person ever thinks it might be useful to take C4 in a side-mission to blow a radio-tower.

... I don't need to join a TS server. I can communicate very effectively through text-chat. Even when being shot at. Oh dear, all the players around me seem to have died - how can that have happened?

because...

... they know that other players will always appreciate friendly bombs dropped on their heads ('but I was providing CAS').

... realism means thirty soldiers all walking around the battle-field with a SMAW and DMR (substitute shortdot and AT4 in ACE).

... not one person ever thinks it might be useful to take C4 in a side-mission to blow a radio-tower.

... I don't need to join a TS server. I can communicate very effectively through text-chat. Even when being shot at. Oh dear, all the players around me seem to have died - how can that have happened?

Beat me to it! Seeing everyone run around with a sniper rifle and AT weapon always makes me laugh. Oh the joys of A2 public MP.

:D

Yes, staring for 15 minutes at a crate must have become quite a norm in A2 for so many people to miss the jokes here :D

Ive never M'Played in arma, so wouldnt know about staring at crates, and from the attitudes round these ways i never want to MP in arma...

Edited by Katipo66

Am i the only one who got the jokes right from the start? Is it really that hard? :D

I think we have come to a point on this forum were this is is accepted as 'normal'. I just read the topic title, of is his points and thought 'Meh, another one of those'.

It was a bit odd that it came from GranQ, but he wouldnt be the first member of this place to turn insane.

Be aware that a lot of people are not native tongues and might miss the subtletees of jokes or ironie due to language barriers. Humor is different in any country. i missed the joke in the first place when reading the OP.

kind regards:D

That's the beauty of the irony I guess... the more people miss the point, the funnier it gets... as we are obviously not that smarter... see the pattern ?

Heh heh :)

This thread seems to be a self-fulfilling prophesy :D

That's the beauty of the irony I guess... the more people miss the point, the funnier it gets... as we are obviously not that smarter... see the pattern ?

Well said. :)

haha, well yeah I had fun reading the replies at least.. and to make things clear. Yes its a joke.

Me and oden (as well some others) were chatting about how annoying it is to read on bis forum when people claim anyone that bought a copy of ofp/arma/arma is much more "elite" then those that plays Counterstrike.. yet there is so much, silly going on inside the game, so I posted this thread.

I think most people missed the point of one reason, they didn't read the complete post.. :)

Can't beleive how many people don't get this. Its a joke thread. OP's jokes aren't the best, but hey, i can't really do better myself right now.

(least i hope it is, otherwise i'm looking mighty silly)

OK.. so now I don't feel like one of the more intelligent members of the community...:rolleyes: ;)

But,there has been so much CoD , CS etc. bashing in these forums and the way the OP worded the opening post , without so much as a hint that it was meant in jest (how about s simple ;) ) , it was hard NOT to take it as yet another bashing thread.

So it's not ALL my fault eh?? :cool:

Nothing wrong with CoD players. I play CoD and CS, TF2, UT2003, BFBC2 and OFP, ArmA and ArmAII. I am not smarter than those who just play CoD, and those who just play ArmAII are not smarter than me.

Heh heh :)

This thread seems to be a self-fulfilling prophesy :D

Oh so horribly true :p

Well, I'd definately agree with the OP, I have played and do play both 'Tactical' 'intelligent' games and 'dumb' games like Modern Warfare and Bad Company 2 and I definately see a difference in asstardery in the games. In Arma 2 muppets get weeded out since they get killed quickly and get bored if they don't adapt to the gameplay (compare the amount of people on release to the amount now). In Modern Warfare 2 the average game has no teamwork in it whatsoever, people actively try to disadvantage their teammates so they can steal all the glory. The average talk is people calling each other hackers or noobs or whining about people being 'gay' or 'bush lovers' or 'obama lovers' in pre-pubescent voices.

In Arma 2 the average game has people who help each other, will sacrifice their own fun and enjoyment to provide fun for others and generally try to provide a good gaming environment, obviously there is still some asstardery but everyone does it once in a while.

A quick finger-in-the-air countup reveals that over one third of the posters either didn't understand the thread, or didn't bother to read the first post :)

Maybe that should make it onto the list? ;)

Well, I'd definately agree with the OP, I have played and do play both 'Tactical' 'intelligent' games and 'dumb' games like Modern Warfare and Bad Company 2 and I definately see a difference in asstardery in the games. In Arma 2 muppets get weeded out since they get killed quickly and get bored if they don't adapt to the gameplay (compare the amount of people on release to the amount now). In Modern Warfare 2 the average game has no teamwork in it whatsoever, people actively try to disadvantage their teammates so they can steal all the glory. The average talk is people calling each other hackers or noobs or whining about people being 'gay' or 'bush lovers' or 'obama lovers' in pre-pubescent voices.

In Arma 2 the average game has people who help each other, will sacrifice their own fun and enjoyment to provide fun for others and generally try to provide a good gaming environment, obviously there is still some asstardery but everyone does it once in a while.

ha love the irony. Arma 2's average mp game is giving everybody a SMAW and running around firing rockets at each other. Also no one wants to play important roles like being a medic unless your in one of those groups where your leader dictates the gameplay for you tactical or no

OH!

I just got that XD

Took me a few reads to understand the sarcasm.

I think some of the people that came in to flame the OP aren't smart enough for COD !!! :D

I think the average ArmA 2 player maybe a bit more mature than that of CoD/ BF and the pacing is much slower (at least in Profi- mode) than in run n gun titles (which comforts older players who havent the reflexes of a teenager any more:D).

I know a lot of people in their 30´s or 40´s who love to roleplay ArmA 2 in coop because this way immersion is best (kills mean nothing, what matters is the team:p).

I have a suspicion we might play on the same server regularly and, yes, the statement in bold definately applies to me:D

Yeah, I felt right at home with that one as well :D Big four oh coming up and I'm sure not as fast as I was when I was doing competitive Unreal Tournament (yeah, the original :)). My younger CS/COD friends will run circles around me and kill me 30 times before I can even get off a shot, in those games. I guess that's why I don't like team games, but stick with good old fashioned coop. At least then I can adjust their "age" to suit mine, and still enjoy the experience :p

... arma2 have much more complicated missions then COD, but still people don't even need to read the briefing.

Oh yes, who doesn´t love it?!

If someone has a script at hand to set users on fire (the real ones, not their alter egos), me wants!

All green, gogogogogo!!!
Whats the objective?!

._:

On topic of elitism, there was this project by dmakatra where he 'herded' some CS players and lured them into OFP,

just to see how they cope with it, how their skills develop, etc. etc.

A brilliant showcase of what happens if you guide players through 'our enclosed world' - and quite a good read too! -

http://project-flashpoint.blogspot.com/

This project also brought up another one of my favourite quotes: In the end, we´re all elitist arseholes. :D

And while i´m babbling about quotes and pointing towards good reads: http://www.videogamessuck.com/review233.html

That´s where i stole my signature from :p