Sign in to follow this  
silola

Dynamic-AI-Creator (DAC) V3.0 released

Hi,

I'm a little bit confused at the moment... ace, cba, script-variant :-/

Are there any other suggestions ... maybe :D

Is the DAC_Source.pbo really so bad?

I was really convinced that a PBO variant is the best way.

I will again consider a pure script version, as a compromise, so to speak.

Only to make the (really great) community happy :)

I am wondering that until now no reports of script error or something similar, exist :p

And again THX and thx for feed back.

Greeting

Silola

Hi Silola :)

I think, what people may be confused about, is that if the DAC External module is used, that people still need to copy the whole of the DAC folder into the mission folder, just as they did anyway in the old non-pbo versions. (Even though it just contains the config files.)

I think this might be making people think why the pbo is needed in this case.

To be clear: is the entire DAC folder needed, or just the altered files?

*edit*

I guess also that people might be worried that they cannot alter the non-config files for modification. I guess, thinking about it, that a special script-only suite might suit some groups more than a pbo version, even if it means bigger mission file sizes.

Edited by DMarkwick

Is the DAC_Source.pbo really so bad?

I was really convinced that a PBO variant is the best way.

Hmmm, I think it makes pretty good sense as it is... a PBO!

In terms of MP:

1. When using DAC as a script pack, all the client machines have to pull down all that data every time you start a game. Lots of data too.

2. However, as a PBO, it's already on everyone's machine, so no need for a big transfer every time.

Why undergo the unnecessary delay? Seems like a "no brainer" to me to just go with PBO. DAC is hugely important. Nobody should have a problem downloading it...

Maybe I am missing something?!? :eek:

EDIT:

I think, what people may be confused about, is that if the DAC External module is used, that people still need to copy the whole of the DAC folder into the mission folder, just as they did anyway in the old non-pbo versions.

I think this might be making people think why the pbo is needed in this case.

To be clear: is the entire DAC folder needed, or just the altered files?

Yo DMarkwick, just saw your post. ;)

When going "external", you still need the big PBO loaded. The "external" portion is just the config files. So there's another point favoring keeping the PBO... it's really quick to just transfer those small size config files (and not have to transfer the big-daddy PBO).

EDIT2:

I guess also that people might be worried that they cannot alter the non-config files for modification. I guess, thinking about it, that a special script-only suite might suit some groups more than a pbo version, even if it means bigger mission file sizes.

Very good point there. It's kind of a bitch to have to have to crack open the DAC PBO to see and mod the code (even for simple personal mods, etc), and keep re-packing it after every tweak.

Yeah, the more I think on it, maybe both PBO and seperate "full script-pack" option would be useful, as each has clear distinct advantages. :)

Edited by MadRussian

In terms of MP:

1. When using DAC as a script pack, all the client machines have to pull down all that data every time you start a game. Lots of data too.

2. However, as a PBO, it's already on everyone's machine, so no need for a big transfer every time.

Why undergo the unnecessary delay? Seems like a "no brainer" to me to just go with PBO. DAC is hugely important. Nobody should have a problem downloading it...

If the situation were that easy.

1. Most online players don't know that DAC exists (sadly) and specially new users have no idea how to add an addon or where to get it (not all players follow the forum or news sites)

2. When you get kicked of a server because of missing addons the information why you were kicked is very vague

3. Currently the bisign file for the sound pbo is missing, so you can't join any server that is using verifySignatures nor can they use DAC because of that

Don't expect from others the same knowledge you have.

It would be a shame if DAC doesn't get used in MP because of those problems.

One option would be to add DAC to CBA (Community Base Addons) for example, as it is allready a widely accepted addon and covers all areas.

Other than that I started to make a mission again, because DAC is still as easy to use as it was under ArmA 1 :)

Great job, Silola.

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

:icon_dj:

Been playing around with things for several hours now, working as expected so far. Truely an excellent piece of work once again. Many thanks Silola. I can now return to my garden and create evilness in a proper manner.

Gnome

THX :)

... and the thought that every mission of the 33-part demo contains the whole script package, has prevented me from a script version (about 150 mb). :p

3. Currently the bisign file for the sound pbo is missing, so you can't join any server that is using verifySignatures nor can they use DAC because of that

Please try the following link:

http://india784.server4you.de/dac/DAC_V3_missing.rar

I hope that I have created the data correctly :confused:

bye

Silola

Yeah DAC as an addon is the best possible way for it to be!!! it just needs to be included inside the cba addons folder too so that way everyone gets it :)

Script pack version might just be too complicated to make plus has its neg and positives but who needs a script back if it gets added into CBA Addons folder eh :P hint hint Sickboy!

Hey Silola, love your work ever since OFP days and V3 doesnt dissapoint, I do have a quick question, is there a program like zonewriter or the one becubed mentioned in the discussion forum going to be released at some point for us Lazy people?

Thanks,

TC

Script pack version might just be too complicated to make plus has its neg and positives but who needs a script back if it gets added into CBA Addons folder eh :P hint hint Sickboy!

Disagree. Off course it can be implemented in CBA (as everyone is so cheery about it), but a mission dependant script only version still is the best way to go imho. It has been working splendid since OFP, so why should´nt it be good anymore? At least give the user both options if worse comes to worst, plz :)

Well if another DAC version extracted from its pbo gets perhabs released, why should it then be packed again into a pbo?

I know CBA is a common addon, and quiet often in use,as it is also in my always loaded list.

But nevertheless there are still people out there, playing ArmA2 vanilla or with addons, that does not require CBA.

Yes there is a world next to ACE :)

Furthermore people playing SP dont need CBA, if they play vanilla.

The script version is not complicated at all.

Most get adjusted inside the triggers and called via the init.

And for the rest, he added a wonderful Readme in german and english version.

And i mean those who are familar with DAC1 and 2 also know where to change the files inside the scripts, btw this principle is working not just since yesterday.

Besides all:

No error msg atm on my dedi.

just my comment related to the scripts vs pbo ...

even Mando Missiles has script pack of theirs mod so it would be nice of DACV3 offers it too...

while i fully understood the 'slickness' of the .pbo solution many will understood that

usage of server side addons (ideal) and in-mission script packs (less ideal) is the only solution for these who run public servers

and want keep theirs server 'open' to wider audience of non techie users to avoid clientside mods (not ideal yet)

sure these missions then are big (in MBs to tens MB) but they don't need any client side mods

this problem will exist as long as there is no 'default' method of downloading non-mission (addon) pbo files within engine ...

Edited by Dwarden

I do have a quick question, is there a program like zonewriter or the one becubed mentioned in the discussion forum going to be released at some point for us Lazy people?

If your aim is to quickly generate unit arrays for DAC's unit config, the original Zonewriter is still going strong and should work for this purpose. Not sure about it's other features though.

At least give the user both options if worse comes to worst, plz :)

IMO, that's probably the best call. Both PBO version and full script version, for those times you need to dive in and change something. Of course, it's really Silola's call. :)

On a different note, what's with all this talk of adding the DAC to CBA? Maybe it should be adding CBA to the DAC?!?

...half kidding :p

In the original download in the first post:

DAC_Sounds.pbo

DAC_Source.pbo

The the missing download:

dac_sounds.pbo.DAC_Sounds.bisign

DAC_Sounds.bikey

My question is....don't DAC_source.pbo need signing?

I'm really glad that you took the time and your energy giving us DACv3!

Thanks Siola!!!

:notworthy:

My question is....don't DAC_source.pbo need signing?

Isn't this in the \DAC_V3\Key folder from the original download?

I am wondering that until now no reports of script error or something similar, exist :p
Script errors? They don't exist in DAC! ;)

Maybe -showScriptErrors disabled by default isn't helpful to reports :)

I'll PM ya about inclusion in CBA.

Hi :)

In the original download in the first post:

DAC_Sounds.pbo

DAC_Source.pbo

+ DAC_Source.bikey

+ dac_source.pbo.DAC_Source.bisign

... you can find in the folder "Key" ;)

Greeting

Silola

@sickboy

Maybe -showScriptErrors disabled by default isn't helpful to reports

lol...maybe.

DAC inclusion into CBA would guarantee a larger userbase, and that would be something that Silola might decide is fruitful.

But, I wonder if it would be moving CBA away from its central premise, which as far as I can tell is to aid and facilitate the functionality of other addons. It seems to me that DAC is its own self-contained product already, it doesn't even require CBA in any case, so it would literally be a self-contained product within another product.

I might be able to see the point in including it in ACE2, as it would represent gameplay enhancement, and the plethora of servers that only seem to favour ACE2 (and thus also the players that also only run ACE2) would be able to still run DAC3 without requiring a DAC3 download.

However, that said I'm not advocating that DAC should be consumed by ACE :) just included. DAC should always be its own product.

Edited by DMarkwick

The idea at first was ACE, however CBA penetrates the market beyond ACE.

Source:

cba; http://updater.dev-heaven.net/mods/nested/973db6b6-a754-11de-b50f-0021855d3b6d?_method=get&associations=queryservers

ace; http://updater.dev-heaven.net/mods/nested/a546d346-a754-11de-b50f-0021855d3b6d?_method=get&associations=queryservers

and this was the main motivation to suggest CBA instead. You are right, it is a bit away from it's core business, but it also was intended as a mod to contain common tools/stuff that people could benefit from.

I'd say DAC surely fits that description, and it would help spread the word too :)

And in reverse, having it in CBA, means that it is also available to all ACE users :)

Hmm, well, OK :) but I didn't see CBA as having a role in gameplay enhancement, I thought that was what ACE was for. However, i suppose CBA will be what it becomes :)

Either way, it'll be good for DAC, as long as DAC also retains its own identity as a standalone product :)

Edited by DMarkwick

CBA doesn't have that role, but neither does DAC, unless you actually use DAC in your mission, (so it's opt-in). There are AI functions in CBA addons, so it isnt that far fetched either :P

Totally agree, of course it would be it's own product/addon!

Anyway, for now it probably won't appear in CBA.

Edited by Sickboy

Anyway, for now it probably won't appear in CBA.

Your words in Silolas ears.

What is the problem about offering 2 variants?

1. PBO Version as it is

2. Script Version as the classic style

DAC keeps its identity, what it imho absolutely have to, and each user/serveradmin can decide himself if to use a pbo or scripted version on a server.It makes less sense to pack it from one pbo to another.

DAC inclusion into CBA would guarantee a larger userbase, and that would be something that Silola might decide is fruitful.

An inclusion into a mission folder would guarantee the biggest userbase.

Dont receive any errors with -showScriptErrors ,neither on dedi server nor listen (coop here).

Edited by Nephris1

Whatever in his ears means, it was Silola who decided not to add, not me :)

It wouldnt mean repacking any addon. @CBA is a modfolder.

Anyway I think Silola mentioned already he's looking at a script version.

It wouldnt mean repacking any addon. @CBA is a modfolder.

Ah, OK, for some reason I was imagining a weaving into a CBA pbo :D

I guess if its a simple pbo inclusion I guess it doesn't matter where it goes :) :thumb:

small question:

Where can I change the value of the ai´s max. requesting distance for backup?

Btw small report on my experience so far: I´ve had the most immersive firefight ever in A2 just now with AI+DAC.

I was traveling with a 3 truck convoy full of marines through enemy territory. The last truck in the row fell back (due to ai driving skills -.-). Well to their bad, a russian patrol located them and engaged them while calling for backup. The backup came from our front direction and ran into the 2 other trucks including myself.

So that was the situation: 1 truck fallen behind and cut off from us, 2 trucks furhter ahead against an APC and several infantry groups. As I´ve also put some respawn camps nearby the AI kept respawning and calling for reinforcements and finally completely surrounded us in a small village. The fight went over approx. 30 minutes. It was just so much fun fighting wave after wave :D

Well in the end they pwned us all... :rolleyes:

Wonderful great to see this finally released I've been dying to get my hands on it XD

The only issue I'm having though is with Trigger/Spawn zones, there doesn't appear to be anyway to set an activation zone that is larger than the spawn area, so as soon as I enter a trigger zone enemies can popup right in front of me. Ideally I would like enemies to spawn out of sight inside town areas as the players approach.

Is there anyway to have say a larger activation trigger area for a smaller actual spawn zone? Did I just miss a section in the readme/configs?