Sign in to follow this  
Magnum0311

You can't Play this game Multiplayer.

I have been playing since OFP days and never had a problem playing in MP.

Multiplayer is the reason I play Arma2 and Arma1 before that. Ofcourse you need to look around a bit for the good servers....

@Richey79 all of those problems you mentioned generally have to do with the server and the mission they are running. If the server is weak you will have problems, if the mission has a bunch of modified scripts, it will cause issues. There is nothing wrong with ACE, however you are free to like it or not as with any other mod.

@all Finding non-modded servers can be a pain depending on your TZ but they are out there and if there are only 3 people on a server, join and there will be 4, etc. Servers only become populated by people joining them. The problem with trying to grow the community is that it is so fragmented it is hard to get new players hooked before they quit in frustration.

@OP why would you ignore installation error messages? If your install is screwed how would you expect the game to work properly?

I wish BIS would just listen on this matter. Multiplayer needs to be fixed. BIG TIME! If they want word of mouth (more monies going into their pockets) buying of the game, they have to fix multiplayer. Revamp the interface, addon downloading, and teamwork friendly organizing capabilities. I've said this all before on different threads. So, as soon as this new patch comes out its time to fix this part of the game.:yay:

Well I see some posts on these forums and other forums wondering "Why doesn't anyone play Arma2??"

Well after 2 days from having purchased this game, I can tell you why.

This has proven to be the biggest pain in the ass of a game to try and play multiplayer, that at this point, I would say that there IS no multiplayer.

The server menu is packed full of servers that are empty, and when you try and join the ones that do have some players, you will end up with a message that you are "Using Modified File CA"

After which you will get a message "Session Lost"

Or "You were kicked off the game."

One person mentioned it might be that they are running the ACE Mod.

So I went out and downloaded the ACE Mod, and Six Arma Updater, and went through the very non user friendly attempt of updating and installing this Mod.

It did nothing to solve the problem of being kicked any time I join a server, or getting a session lost message.

So if any of you are wondering why this game isn't being played much, I think maybe you should start looking into those reasons and fix them before advertising that more people should join.

The way it stands now I'm about to call this game a waste of 53 dollars. :mad:

I understand what you mean and i agree in some way, like some already mentioned before.

Some mods can be a pain in the ass... in my situation those mods are too heavy to be run on my weak and old computer, it simply becomes unplayable for me.

I indeed feel sorry that a lot and almost all servers use these mods.

I don't play ArmA2 the current days because my computer with the minimum requirements do not run fluid the game and there for i don't have fun. Though i know ARMA2 is a great game with huge potential and will become the game for life.. just needs some tweaks and improvement/optimizations and a good machine to run it.

Addons always were used since OFP era.. so its just a matter of getting used to them, because they can sometimes bring more glow and magic to missions.

Don't give up, like i woun't.

The servers I use have 20+ people on each night, they're public servers that use ACE and sometimes Isla Duala maps.

Don't see the troubles you guys are getting...

I said this once and i say this again. I played online about 1-2 times the rest was basicly being told to piss off and turn all my fave mods off and after doing that i just hated it hence the lack of server & key files for my mod. A2 imo its just a bloody mess and serously a massive failure in the multiplayer area.

Imo the heavy restrictions on mods online serously killed this game off for multiplayer. I know this because ive asked friends who i played old A1 with their reasons why and its always the same.

Multiplayer is boring & lack of support for mods.

Even when i released key files and server files i was still kicked off 99.9% of all the servers, i had to basicly disable every single mod i liked just to join a server and have the most unexciting gameplay ive experienced.

Edited by Opticalsnare

Tbh i played online about 1-2 times and just hated it hence the lack of server & key files for my mod. I played the old ofp / arma with mods no problem for long time. But A2 imo its just a bloody mess and serously a massive failure. Imo the heavy restrictions on mods online serously killed this game off completely. Even when i released key files and server files i was still kicked off 99.9% of all the servers i had to basicly disable every single mod just to join a server and have the most un-exciting gameplay ive experienced. Sorry but i have much more interest in playing about with the editor where i can use what mod i like when i like.

I'm obviously to stupid to grasp your problem?

A2 online is *at least* as fun as OFP/Arma ever were.

If you liked Ofp/Arma online you're bound to love A2 online.

The restrictions you talk about (i guess you mean signature check??) have vastly ENHANCED online play, reduced cheating and were allready in place in Arma1.

So i don't get your point at all.

Oh come on the signature check has failed. How can you honestly expect people to play the same thing OVER AND OVER again without some kind of improvement. The mods were there to improve the game yet servers refused this and failed to experiment in new paths but insted just followed the same as other people servers like a bunch of sheep, and now were all biting the same bullet because all thats left over is hardcore modders and hardcore fans. The rest of the general public have long gone and found their online gaming needs elsewhere.

Why is it that when i look at the server browser all i see pretty much 90% is Warfare BE Lite that supports like maybe 1% of the mods if that and its mostly ACE.

Pretty much everything else is NA, IMHO the server browser hasnt changed 6months ago, apart from lack of people playing.

Edited by Opticalsnare

So where exactly does this differ from Ofp or Arma?

How does not having island x differ anything now from then?

Anyway it's a pity you don't enjoy the game online. You're missing out.

If i understand correctly you have more trouble finding a server that suits your gameplay then having actual problems with the game?

Instead of whining about this "problem" you could take matters into your own hands and start your own server with likeminded people.

But of course waiting for the dog to bring the newspaper is a much easier and more satisfying option.

Could you describe exactly what you want? Maybe the dog does exist but it's a bit lost and cannot find you.

By the way i just checked the games running right now and your 90% argument is completely bogus.

Tnx for the effects addon, it's totally cool :-)

Edited by Yoma

Are you serously just being argumentative because you cannot accept the fact that the online in this game is a failure or are you just blind?

I cannot make my case any clearer to you.

Would you like me to take a screenshot of the server browser which shows something like 25+ servers hosting the same game. And pretty much all of the them has less than 3 players...

Edited by Opticalsnare

As long as it can let me do stuff I cannot do in other games (just like OFP did) I can never consider this to be a failure, not untill there is not one server I can find to play on.

I sincerely don't understand you cannot be bothered with MP A2, given you ever liked the MP in either OFP or Arma1.

I don't care if the game doesn't have 100000 players at any given time, I don't need 100000, I need anything from 3-30 and I'll be happy. Anyway, each to their own, but the basic topic title "You can't play this game multiplayer" is rubbish.

For me the multiplayer would be a failure if it wouldn't be enjoyable and that's not the case. Sure it could be better and it probably will get better, but that's not keeping me from my weekly online BIS shot.

As long as it can let me do stuff I cannot do in other games (just like OFP did) I can never consider this to be a failure, not untill there is not one server I can find to play on.

I sincerely don't understand you cannot be bothered with MP A2, given you ever liked the MP in either OFP or Arma1.

I don't care if the game doesn't have 100000 players at any given time, I don't need 100000, I need anything from 3-30 and I'll be happy. Anyway, each to their own, but the basic topic title "You can't play this game multiplayer" is rubbish.

For me the multiplayer would be a failure if it wouldn't be enjoyable and that's not the case. Sure it could be better and it probably will get better, but that's not keeping me from my weekly online BIS shot.

Whats rubbish is people pretending there is not a problem. When there clearly is. Stop assuming your own opinion works for all, because from what I can tell, most people are mad about arma2's multiplayer system. If we simply had better methods to organize multiplayer games before you get on a server, then people would not have these problems in either direction (wanting mods and not wanting mods). I'm also tired of people thinking i'm a noob for caring about non-hardcore players in this game.

BIS has put "sync addons" on their changelist for OA. I honestly can't see much more to bark about...

And please don't think that I don't care about people that "don't know how it works", I'm betting I've invested A LOT more time in them then you ever will.

This is my last post in this "discussion", have a ball, I'm off to play a bit :P (online, and yes i'll enjoy it)

Edited by Yoma

wtf are you on about now Yoma.. Please dont tell me your pulling some kinda ive worked on this game more than you crap or done more than you bla bla. :j:

Edited by Opticalsnare

Well I see some posts on these forums and other forums wondering "Why doesn't anyone play Arma2??".......The way it stands now I'm about to call this game a waste of 53 dollars. :mad:

If you do not have the patience to organize your own PC for it, then you shouldn't evening be playing this, try COD, heard that's good for spamming.

Learn about the lobby interface, next to the server will be a red, orange or green light. If it is red, you do not have the mods to run it or are running mods the server won't allow, maybe even the wrong version. Orange means it requires a password, and green is your good to join that server.

If you read the title of the server, it will explain whether the server si a vanilla one or ACE modified, or running another shenanigan.

Best way to do it, get ACE, and don't run any other mods, that way your guaranteed to get into an ACE server.

Does anyone else find it funny that the OP is ranting about being kicked off servers or unable to connect due to modified files CA or whatever, and then he also says he repeatedly was having errors and clicking "ignore" during the install? Wouldn't that throw up some BIG RED FLAGS that maybe, just MAYBE, his pc did not install all the necessary files properly?

To the OP, if you are still reading, uninstall and reinstall, bud. It isn't ARMA's fault that you "ignored" files during the install and now cannot join servers! It will be worth the effort, if you are truly a mil-sim fan, or suspect that a slower paced, much more real and tactical, thought provoking game is something you will like.

Good luck!

Agree with OP, i'm baffled... installed ACE 2 but it was a pain in the ass and i still get kicked off most servers.

I'll go back to BF2 Project Reality and wait its arrival on Arma 2, hopefully those guys can sort this mess out, they certainly did for BF2.

Until then It's not worth the hassle, spent 2 hours trying to figure out what to do already and non the wiser... still get kicked

For an oversite into what is required to play Multiplayer

check out the following Guide

Latest version:

ArmA2 MP Guide (latest version 10th Jan 2010)

You should find it useful

and if you do, could you reply in the following thread to bump it so that others that are stuck can easily find it

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=93078

Edited by Terox

I'm guessing you're trying to join with a stable version on a dev(ongoing development) version or visa versa.

To update the stable release to latest dev version is documented under advanced:

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Download

yep did that... I installed extracted stable release, then realised i couldn't join any internet games... so i converted it in six updater... then updated it so now it's all showing green and latest versions.

trying to join Rostov server, says something about scripts missing :(

Some servers run other addons in addition to ACE, so you'll also need those to join said servers.