wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

how do I send a message an a MP game, By keyboard

You can also change the channel on witch you are sending the message on , by pressing "up or "down" after you pressed " / " or before by pressing the " , " or " . " keys .

can someone point me in the direction to or inform me how co-op multiplayer works?

Do you have to find a game on a server or can you just host one yourself with you and a friend?

Do you have to find a game on a server or can you just host one yourself with you and a friend?

Either. If your friend can find your game that is.

I mean I don't have to have a server, I can host it from my machine I'm playing on right?

Why would he have a problem finding me? There is a search right? or I could just give him my IP address?

Thanks for the quick replys

Why would he have a problem finding me? There is a search right? or I could just give him my IP address?

Dunno. For some people they just have issues either finding or connecting to eachother. Probably router issues or something. Usually it's not an issue though.

thanks also how do I change my name?

Go to your game profile and click edit . Double click on the name field and type the new one :) .

Go to your game profile and click edit . Double click on the name field and type the new one :) .

yeah tried that it doesn't work...It's the same name as my profile on the computer...My full name.

I just didn't want to jump online with my real name.

I was able to make another profile...but I'm guessing that profile is brand spanking new with no challenges completed

yeah tried that it doesn't work...It's the same name as my profile on the computer...My full name.

I was able to make another profile...but I'm guessing that profile is brand spanking new with no challenges completed

Correct, I guess we all made new accounts, I dont want to play online with my computers full name thats a privacy threat.

I think BIS should figure something else out or try to get rid of the automated profile when you install the game one of my grunts when I first got the game.

Hoping I dont see it in OA

Strange ...

So you went to Player Profile , selected your game profile ( your real name as you say ) you clicked edit , the new screen with the face / glasses and voice selection came up . You clicked on the name field where your name was written and you taped "backspace" to erase the name and nothing happened ?

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the community. Infact, I havent even bought the game yet. I just got a new gaming rig, and am trying to decide if I want this or Battlefield: Bad Company 2. I am a big sim kind of person. Im obsessed with flight sims, and would like a very team oriented, as real as possible type of game here. Ive always seen these videos of arma 2 and they all looked really cool.

So what is arma 2? Is it open world, or do you play in a multiplayer map? Can you just hop in a server and start playing? Also, ive heard that almost nobody plays without mods. What are some of the common mods almost every uses. If you install mods, does that mean that you are not allowed to join some servers due to the fact that they may be considered cheating. Im very lost as to what this game is. Bad company 2 looks awesome, but so does this. Id definetely be flying around in the A-10. Can someone give me an explanation as to what arma 2 is really all about, if it is open world or uses seperate servers, or what. How does it compare to bad company 2.

Also, is buying just arma 2 sufficient to play with other people or are there expansion packs I need to download.

Hi kingneptune117

I will divide up your questions to make it easier to answer:

So what is arma 2?

ArmA II and its new expansion is a sandbox simulated environment, it comes with several official multi mission campaigns and tens of independent SP missions and MP missions already made. They were all created using the inbuilt editor. You and any one else can use it to create your own missions and campaigns in both SP and MP format.

Is it open world, or do you play in a multiplayer map?

Both and even more as well.

The latest version will apparently come with fully working infinite land. The terrain streaming technology in ArmA II means that as well as the gigantic prebuilt islands; both those that come with ArmA II and those made by the community, those islands are also surrounded in dynamically created procedural terrain.

The system works in both SP and MP formats. It can be populated with dynamic towns, citizens and life by addition of inbuilt modules. The seed values mean all players in an MP mission see the same content.

Can you just hop in a server and start playing?

Yes but if a server is running mods you need to run the same ones to play on that server. There is a tool called Yoma's addon sync that does most of this for you :)

Also, ive heard that almost nobody plays without mods. What are some of the common mods almost every uses?

This is not true many people just play vanilla ArmA. Berzerk a PvP game form similar to what is in battlefield but not quite the same as it is a lot bigger and more stuff is available it runs on the Dao public server, and is vanilla ArmA, ditto several of the other PvP servers running the older game forms such as CTF and DM, as well as some of the public Coop recruiting servers, that run game forms like evolution are also vanilla ArmA II.

That said people do like to play using MODs. The commonest MODs are ACE plus some islands and Zeus AI. As I said logging on to an addon repository with Yoma's addon sync, like say the Zeus addon repository, allows you to get most addons you need all in one go. Then you just synchronise once or twice a week to keep up to date. The first download is big but latter updates are smaller.

BIS will be releasing an official integrated synchronisation tool in the near future.

If you install mods, does that mean that you are not allowed to join some servers due to the fact that they may be considered cheating?

Because MODs in ArmA II are run as an addition to the core game and organised in @modfolders this means you select what groups of MODs you use in a session. Depending on server settings, normally you will not be able to join a server without the right mods or with mods that a server does not run.

Some servers, usually personal servers where the person has not bothered or has miss edited their server config may allow people to log on to server with incorrect addons, this can and does crash both the server and the clients.

Well maintained public and private community servers with experienced admins do not tend to allow addons that are are not in the server addon list ;)

Im very lost as to what this game is. Bad company 2 looks awesome, but so does this. Id definetely be flying around in the A-10. Can someone give me an explanation as to what arma 2 is really all about, if it is open world or uses separate servers, or what?

As I said it is both and much more besides and I have not even got into the MOD and editing side.

ArmA is sandbox full of toy solders and Lego and dinky toys and airfix planes and helicopters that all move around you, or you can move around, your online friends and and all the community can make anything you want in it.

How does it compare to bad company 2?

ArmA II is bigger a lot bigger so big it will take your breath away. The AI in ArmA is frankly terrifying to most new players as it it not scripted and dynamic, if you are expecting to plan a route through a mission by playing though the same rehearsed moves till you get them right don't. That wont happen sure you will learn how the AI play but they will still surprise you decades latter. AI in ArmA II is about a fifth as smart as the players in ArmA II, and about twice to three times as smart as a COD player.

In an MP game I would rather have a team of AI than a team of COD players but I would rather have a team of ArmA II players over both. If you play with Zeus AI they are about 2/3 the intelligence of an ArmA Player this is all just statistical from death rates.

Also, is buying just arma 2 sufficient to play with other people or are there expansion packs I need to download?

If you buy ARMA 2: COMBINED OPERATIONS pack from here

http://www.arma2.com/crossroad-sprocketbanner.html

That will give you everything.

BIS released a free additional campaign for ArmA II along with the latest patch, so they are quite nice as far as extra content goes. Of course the real extra content is the thousands of missions and addons that the community makes:

This one addons site will give you some idea of its breadth:

http://www.armedassault.info/

Have a look through the ArmA II downloads section in the left hand navigation panel.

There is also this addon site:

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma2_files

Well I guess that is it.

I added some question marks to your quotes where I thought you were asking a separate question but had concatenated several questions together, I hope you do not mind. ;)

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the community. Infact, I havent even bought the game yet. I just got a new gaming rig, and am trying to decide if I want this or Battlefield: Bad Company 2. I am a big sim kind of person. Im obsessed with flight sims, and would like a very team oriented, as real as possible type of game here. Ive always seen these videos of arma 2 and they all looked really cool.

So what is arma 2? Is it open world, or do you play in a multiplayer map? Can you just hop in a server and start playing? Also, ive heard that almost nobody plays without mods. What are some of the common mods almost every uses. If you install mods, does that mean that you are not allowed to join some servers due to the fact that they may be considered cheating. Im very lost as to what this game is. Bad company 2 looks awesome, but so does this. Id definetely be flying around in the A-10. Can someone give me an explanation as to what arma 2 is really all about, if it is open world or uses seperate servers, or what. How does it compare to bad company 2.

Also, is buying just arma 2 sufficient to play with other people or are there expansion packs I need to download.

Don't worry about mods. You've probably heard about ACE 2 (Advanced Combat Environment mod 2) - it's a semi-overhaul of some of the game features, which in turn, adds even more realistic features, along with weapons types, units and so forth. (8 Variations of Stryker APCs anyone?).

That's all you need to know about mods for online play. There's roughly 50% of the total which are unmodded servers, you install the latest patch, hop in and play, and then there's ACE2, which probably accounts for the 40% of the total.

Installing mods is easy, just use the installer if provided and you get a seperate shortcut for the game with said mods. You can have several shortcuts on your desktop: for example, unmodded Arma 2 shortcut, Arma 2 ACE 2 shortcut, etc. If you can't connect to your favourite server with mods, simply, exit the game and launch unmodded 'vanilla' Arma 2 shortcut.

And yes, you can hop in on regular public servers and have fun -- check out my Arma 2 vids (mind the performance, I'm playing on a notebook, although on High settings :D).

If you're into some hardcore out-of-this-world simulation you can always try to join a Squad or a Clan of like-minded Armaholics. There is room for everybody.

I haven't played BF BC2 but I know that it will get boring faster than one might think; I've played this franchise since Armed Assault 1 and there were a lot of Armaholics back then, as there are now. :yay:

P.S. Think hard for a second: 225km of Land of Chenarus (one 'map'/island/country), water & air. You load the game once and you can walk, fly, drive, crawl, swim, barrel roll from one one point to another 30km away. :D And then there's Arma Operation Arrowhead coming out, which will bring 3 new maps, 2 of them will be huge afaik. (based on Afganistan).

Watch more vids, watch BF BC2 vids of 1337pwn3ge (I used to be 1337) and decide. :icon_razz:

P.S.2. Judging by the proper use of punctuation in your message(s), I, on full authority, declare that Arma 2 is the game for you. :icon_mrgreen:

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Although im not a complete noob, the question im about to ask is lol.

I know this would be retarded but would it work if i have a man and have

this addweapon "GAU8"; this addmagazine "1350Rnd_30mmAP_A10"

Even whilst writing this im doubting the possibility of this working but, if it does :D:D:D

Although im not a complete noob, the question im about to ask is lol.

I know this would be retarded but would it work if i have a man and have

this addweapon "GAU8"; this addmagazine "1350Rnd_30mmAP_A10"

Even whilst writing this im doubting the possibility of this working but, if it does :D:D:D

It did work in OFP and ArmA, not sure about A2. The unit would fire the gun out of his chest. ;)

I actually remember having an awesome MP match with a friend of mine back in the day, using this. I think we completely bombed away Kolgujev firing FFARs from our invincible soldiers chests. It was a blast. :D

You have no idea how much im looking forwad to getting back from work and doing that!!!

You've just made my day !!

ps yeah my work is that bad lol

You have no idea how much im looking forwad to getting back from work and doing that!!!

You've just made my day !!

ps yeah my work is that bad lol

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTjWTD_FAZ8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTjWTD_FAZ8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I've seen a video with soldiers sitting on cows, firing SPG-9 which were mounted on cows. :D Can't find the video, unfortunately.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTjWTD_FAZ8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTjWTD_FAZ8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I've seen a video with soldiers sitting on cows, firing SPG-9 which were mounted on cows. :D Can't find the video, unfortunately.

That sounds AWSOM+!

Guna have to try that lol

That sounds AWSOM+!

Guna have to try that lol

Aim higher...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS_8wmyomdU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS_8wmyomdU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjkkZ1Yd_3U&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjkkZ1Yd_3U&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:icon_dj:

Iroquois Pliskin your pic/vidios ant working bud, and i really want to know what they are lol.

Iroquois Pliskin your pic/vidios ant working bud, and i really want to know what they are lol.

Those are embedded YouTube videos, click on them to start playback - working fine here. Or follow direct links:

Video 1:

Video 2:

lol its cause im at work and thier blocked BASTARDS!!! lol nvm cheers otherwise.