Sign in to follow this  
the.d

User Add-On Guide for more Realism and Immersion (ACE2-based)

The.D. - I've been offline for quite some time as I've had to tear my computer apart multiple times. I'll still wrtie up my island report after I get ArmA2 back in shape.

jpinard: Thanks, I already added an islands section. Wanted to do more but I am currently struggling to get a really stable and balanced SLX set-up ^^ - and then I mostly just end up enjoying the game, heh.

Awesome collection! It all seems to work really well together. I just installed almost all the mods presented here. The STHUD isnt working though? if i shut off everything else but ACE it will work, but you also still see the little squad "mugshots" of all my team in the bottom left. are those suppoed to still be there? i'm not running any other mods that arent on your list... so maybe one from your list is a newer version from when you compiled all this? and its causing an issue?

Edited by Goatgruff

Goatgruff: Thanks for reporting that. Does anybody else have this problem? I went through the list and checked if I had the latest versions - I'm not able to reconstruct your problem. Tried it with the full mod load-out for arma2 (latest beta, ARMA2_Build_69645) and it looks as it should, I suppose. (Edit: For best results, set the ingame GUI size to "very small", of course)

The new SLX is fantastic, by the way - check it out! :-) I didn't have the time to test it thoroughly yet (in a proper coop on a dedicated server) but... wow!

I've played around with slx and I think I found a good balance with gl4. I don't think ZeusAi is still necessary though with these two. Solus mentioned that he is using zeusai parameters in slx and he tweaked it for the latest version(1.984). I am at work but can post the files I am using tomorrow if you are interested D.

I've played around with slx and I think I found a good balance with gl4. I don't think ZeusAi is still necessary though with these two.

Same Opinion, it's not necessary to keep Zeus Ai.

I found the AI sufficient with ACE GL4 and SLX.

I on my side gave up with SLX. :(

I had too much crashes and slowdown because of it. Even once I used only 3 addons from slx and still had crashes. Especially in complex missions.

For now I stick to ACE2/GL4/VFAI/JTD/MMA/DSAI and some little addons which like sakura chan lightfx or clayman topolka dam fx.

You guys who are running the combo with SLX what addons do you apply?

Did you never experience crashes?

Kroky, had the same sort of issues with SLX as you with it killing the dedi server every so often so ended up dropping it from our server.

Sorry to be also negative this time but I'm about to give up SLX too. I encounter huge framerate slowdowns with the last version of this mod, specially in mission leading wtih more than 30 AI.

It's sad because I'm really amazed by the AI reactions using this mod but even with the few pbos needed just for AI, my I5 @ 3.6Ghz is exceeded.

For me,

I use ACE;SLX;GL4;Sakula light;Hifi sound; TRSM sound and some little addon of weapon or truck no more.

JTD use too framerate for me, it's not playable :(

WarFX use also many framerate with the smoke feature.

I use all the feature of GL4, just add the correction of skill of Mister D..

I use many feature of SLX (animation (not all), AI feature (just remove GL3), Remove weapon ballistic and armor for vehicles ...)

My mission which running on my little server, is really basic, one objectives or two max, 8 or 10 men max playable with sometimes one allied reinforced section vs 2 or 3 reinforced ennemy section.

And with this I feel no problem for the moment.

JTD use too framerate for me, it's not playable :(

To get rid of this, I disable the tree fires in the config file.

no issues here with slx either. i dropped many features of it, basically kept the ai enhancement mainly, they work really well with gl4 and ace. im running it on a x4 965 @3.8. jtd and other gpu stressing mods are not necessary, I think the AI is the main issue here.

slx_ace_missilefix2.pbo

slx_actions.pbo

slx_ai.pbo

slx_ai_dispersion.pbo

slx_ai_dodge.pbo

slx_ai_identify.pbo

slx_ai_noautoengage.pbo

slx_ai_steering.pbo

slx_aiskill.pbo

slx_anim_ai_lowriflemove.pbo

slx_anim_binocularmove.pbo

and the other anims

slx_animals.pbo

slx_bis_bc_fix.pbo ????

slx_bis_xeh.pbo ?????

slx_cannonsmoke.pbo

slx_cloud.pbo a must for slx

slx_dialogue.pbo

slx_effects.pbo

slx_explosiondust.pbo

slx_findcover.pbo

slx_fov.pbo

slx_gunsmoke.pbo

slx_helicopter_ai_fix.pbo

slx_impacts.pbo

slx_lights.pbo

slx_mod_man_armor.pbo

slx_mod_veh_armor.pbo

slx_mod_veh_core.pbo

slx_modweapons_c.pbo

slx_modweapons_mgreload.pbo

slx_modweapons_sounds.pbo

slx_modweapons_sounds_impact.pbo

slx_netcode.pbo

SLX_NoGibs.pbo

SLX_NoMoveObject.pbo

SLX_NoSurrender.pbo

slx_ragdoll.pbo

slx_shoteffects.pbo

slx_shout.pbo

slx_suppression_effects.pbo

slx_t72_destroyed.pbo

the other tanks

slx_uav.pbo

slx_vehicleeffects.pbo

It seems stable for me no crashes. Of course its possible to finetune it. I for example dropped the wounds, but some may prefer to keep, it may led to some crashes with other people who mentioned crashes earlier.

Edited by spangg

Sorry for the lack of updates - especially regarding SLX! Finding a "proper" solution (and a balanced one at that) seems very tough. It indeed seems to be causing fps drops and instabilities, especially in larger or more complex missions. But I didn't test it enough to deliver proper results - nor could I contribute to a possible solution.

Getting around removing some or all of the animations and possibly even the wounding system to avoid compatibility issues seems nearly impossible at the moment.

As for SLX AI, ZeusAI had a more recent update which makes stealth operations more realistic so personally I'd prefer Zeus to SLX at this time.

I am back to work (real life, I mean) so I don't know how much time there will be left for gaming (and thus testing and keeping the guide up to date) - I'll do my best, though!

Do check out the latest ArmA2 beta patch, by the way!

Hello The.D,

First i want to say that I'm really grateful for your guide. Thank you. It makes life easier.

On an other note: I dont know if you intend to or not, but i think you should mention the PROPER projects in your guide.

At least these addons wich are, in my humble opinion, simply essentials:

"Object drawing distance tweaks released

Make structures and units drawing way further and get them seamless

flow into view. Read more.

Reduced model complexity released

Try the different performance and visual tweaks made for vegetation

and buildings. Your feedback will determine the final version. Read more."

Quoted from http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=85739

Edited by RoME

RoME, cheers! You are absolutely right! I completely overlooked the PROPER mods! (Embarrassingly enough, as I was already using some of that stuff in my own ArmA2 folder... >_<)

I will add it as soon as I can - RL is keeping me quite busy at the moment :)

Thank you!

Great word D.

Question for you. Are all of these addons compatible in a large multiplayer environment of up to say 60 players?

Providing that none of the players are running any extra addons except for language and view-distance addons.

Good question, Popa. The most we ever got was as far as ~10-12 people for a coop - it seemed stable for most missions (there are scenarios that might cause problems with ACE2/GL4, but that's a mission-sided issue and has nothing to do with the specific mod combination used here) and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

My suggestion in your case would be to use ACE2/GL4/Zeus in a properly configured set-up and leave out the more advanced* stuff (SLX, at the moment). As long as server and internet connection can keep up, it should be fine but you never know until you try :).

*in terms of adding even more content and features gameplay-wise

Edit: Guide updated - SLX 1.99 is working splendidly, although some might want to leave out the wounded features altogether to keep things simpler and ensure compatibility in all missions (ACE and non-ACE).

I might leave out the Units & Gear section. I am completely overwhelmed by its extensiveness. And picking just the "Top 10" is too subjective and ... well, presumptuous of me.

Edited by The.D

Suggested add-on removed; some parts gave multiplayer troubles on dedicated server

Edited by Birdseye

EDIT: My SLX setup will not work as described on the first page, it works only if I add the find cover SLX. Without the find cover SLX the first aid feature crashes every time when I am wounded?

Another topic: I can't seem to find a dowload source for the proper projects listed on the front page. I get an error when I click on the visual tweaks on the dev heaven page download for these. Does anyone have a link that works for propers?

Edited by stevedrumsdw

Birdseye: Thanks anyways - I read your post some days ago and tried the add-ons. A bit dodgy to implement but would have been a good idea :)

stevedrumsdw: Thanks! I forgot to include that! Personally, I am currently using a "minimal" SLX set-up using only

"slx_ai_dodge.pbo"

"slx_ai_identify.pbo"

"slx_ai_noautoengage.pbo"

"slx_ai_steering.pbo"

"slx_anim_crawl.pbo"

"slx_anim_death.pbo"

"slx_animals.pbo"

"slx_anims.pbo"

"slx_cloud.pbo"

"slx_explosiondust.pbo"

"slx_findcover.pbo"

"slx_fov.pbo"

"slx_netcode.pbo"

"SLX_NoMoveObject.pbo"

"slx_ragdoll.pbo"

"slx_shout.pbo"

"slx_surrender.pbo"

You can add the SLX wounded functions by adding

"slx_anim_injured.pbo"

"slx_mod_man_armor.pbo"

"slx_removefirstaidaction.pbo"

"slx_removehealaction.pbo"

"slx_wounds.pbo"

"slx_wounds_ais.pbo"

For the proper PROPER project files, you will need to take a look at the PvP Scene version of these mods. I can send them to you, if you like. It seems they are rather difficult to get without using updater programs.

Birdseye: Thanks anyways - I read your post some days ago and tried the add-ons. A bit dodgy to implement but would have been a good idea :)

stevedrumsdw: Thanks! I forgot to include that! Personally, I am currently using a "minimal" SLX set-up using only

You can add the SLX wounded functions by adding

For the proper PROPER project files, you will need to take a look at the PvP Scene version of these mods. I can send them to you, if you like. It seems they are rather difficult to get without using updater programs.[/quote

Thanks D, I greatly appreciate that you took the time to send me the propers!!!!

Edited by stevedrumsdw

You will find a pretty good mirror for the proper files on armaholic. Just search through the categories.

I have also been trying to find the best combination of the popular mods. This guide was pretty helpful!

But there's one big problem I have encountered with any combination and I'm sure you all know of it:

I find myself wandering around and waiting to be attacked. What I mean is that no matter how cautious and stealthy I behave, 90% of the time I get spotted by the enemy first. This is unrealistic. No matter how I tweak the difficulty settings. It is so annoying playing as a navy seal sniper and being engaged by a farmer with an AK.

I think the problem is the ability of some enemys to hear a needle falling down from 500 metres.

I'm playing the Seal Six 4 campaign. At mission K-bar try to approach the broadcasting station unnoticed. It is rather impossible. The enemys will sound the alarm before you get one of them into your sights. Besides every Black ops mission gets crapped, because you are being attacked by some chedaki who don't even know how to pronounce Nightvision.

NOW my question is:

Is there ANY way to the AI's ability to detect you? (Except the difficulty settings of course)

Thanks

Hey, Hunter123! Yeah, we've noticed - it's been a problem of ArmA2 (and ArmA) to start with but the AI enhancements (especially the increased aggressiveness and attack radius) amplify this effect. The latest beta patch(es) tune nightly encounters back to a more realistic level - but to really avoid the "all-seeing-eye" ability on enemies you might have to disable ZeusAI and, possibly - yet untested - some or all of GL4's ai scripts. Originally, however, this is caused by the way the ai "works" in the game (see the "enemy able to track your every move once they discovered the player" problem).

I didn't have much time testing and tweaking lately and the little free time I get I usually end up just playing the game and having fun; your point if very valid though and duly noted.