Tonci87

JCOVE Lite for free

It's ok, I guess. It has some nice stuff, but it's only UK stuff, which is to be expected considering it's coming from the MOD. It's a taste of what VBS2 is for free, and I'm very happy to have had it. However, I don't think I'm all that interested in VBS2 anymore after trying it. It has some nice features, but it's not a game, unlike ArmA II. It can be pretty boring. But it's a $1000+ simulator, and ArmA II is a $40+ simulator, for good reason.

Still, I applaud the guys behind it for giving us a taste of VBS2 for free.

Snafu

Yes it's 100% legit, no worries. :)

Great. :cool:

The website did indeed appear suspect, but if its legit Wolle, than downloading!

The Australian MOD did something similiar for VBS1, Australians in Vietnam. Also I'm not sure if it ever got released by I think they were at least going to give recruits VBS1 Lite as well.

I posted on a video of Australians in Vietnam on YouTube asking about its release and was actually contacted by one of the development staff, at least I think it was a developer.

I deleted that account so I don't have the PM anymore but it was developed for the ADF only, the public release was scrapped IIRC.

Honestly, I would like to see UK gear in OA, but this can tide me over for OA :)

Hell if it's good enough, I may look in to VBS 2 when I have a job :)

Things I like:

Vehicles under Water don't explode-They just get infunctional

Civilian vehicles got backwards light

If you release the reverse key, the car will still go on and wont stop

immediately

I might download this to try it, and next week pick up the real thing. .mil email address' can do wondrous things ;).

Would love to get a torrent of this. The direct download site was going at 30KBps and was going to take 15 hours... :(

Tried one of the torrents I found but it has no seeders, but another forums said there was 30 seeders earlier today...

That or rapidshare links.

you can use that torrent but it starts slow thats probably the reason why it says no seeders and leechers.

edit.

I read that the torrent is in poor condition ...in between 40-90 seconds it should start to show seeders and leechers.

Edited by ShadowY

Seriously, I don't get it, how is VBS different from ArmA? In fact, from the screenies, the interface looks like the one in ArmA1. Some one enlighten me?

Should be about the same, but isnt VBS more bugfree? Just something ive read over the years. Dont know about this public version though and like i said before - me wanna test the FLIR. :)

wow, i cant believe it... Big up for sharing this :)

I had a go with it, but uninstalled now. Because I can't use the Proper OFP Vegetation its too slow on my computer and couldn't do much. However it did seem quite cool and I liked the way you could 'Interact' with the vehicles and change position easily, shoot from the cargo like with the Vector, or have loads from some helicopters. Ready made rock-throwing crowds was nice too along with various other things which set it apart from ArmA. The apwt training mission was also realisticly boring...

Overall, as far as I know, VBS2 is different to ArmA in its additional scripting possibilities and modules (AAR, Loadmaster, etc)

downloaded this, but after unraring there is just some 4Gb .NRG-file, that I do not know how to interact with, please advice :)

downloaded this, but after unraring there is just some 4Gb .NRG-file, that I do not know how to interact with, please advice :)

NRG= Nero Disc image

Youll have to either....

Install Daemon tools and mount the image to install it.

OR

Unpack the image with the likes of winrar or again mount and extract with daemon tools then install from HD.

Download something called DAEMON TOOLS LITE

then once installed, re-boot comp.

It should then automatically load up in the task tray. RIGHT click on it, go to VIRTUAL DEVICES, DEVICE 0, MOUNT IMAGE. The browse for your .NRG file. It should then install.

Schancky

There is a healthy torrent available until the JCOVE team posts a link to the new mirror. Sign up on their forum and PM this user name in their forum for the new torrent.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Fresh mirrors are up and a link to the torrent are also posted on the JCOVE site. It should be much easier to grab the installer now.

It would be really good if there were better mirrors though, maybe someone could upload one somewhere, if they have downloaded it?..

fileplay's been taking all day :confused:

wika_woo, these are from the unofficial website:

Torrent:

http://dl.psyphon.com/jcovelite.torrent

Direct:

http://dl.psyphon.com/jcovelite.rar

http://www.armaleague.com/vbs2/jcovelite.rar

http://www.sbs-clan.co.uk/vbs2/jcovelite.rar

ftp://81.19.223.207/jcovelite.rar

EDIT: And if those mirrors still have it in the .nrg format (why?!?!) you will need the set up tutorial, which can be found here.

Edited by HotShot
tutorial link

In case you want to see terrain deformation you

can also check it

I'm done with it now. Its nice for militaries for sure

wika_woo, these are from the unofficial website:

Thanks a bunch :cool:

There is one thing I must replicate.... That is the lens on the lensatic compass....

If someone from BIS wants to put me out of my misery and tell me there is some fundamental missing technology there (like rotating textures?) then please do... :p

Otherwise... must... replicate! :D

This. I tested it myself and it is pretty much this. Althought the city is big and it has working FLIR, but the models are so-so, and the cockpits are horrible. Id stick with A2+ACE2

Personally, I was pleasantly surprised by it. I thought that I'd long since passed on from A1 and that the limited range of stuff would be a fun-killer.

Sure, the missions included are ultra-dull, but I really like the map that's included. I'm presuming they put it together from satellite images, rather than creating a 'good level'. The infantry models for the Brits are a bit lacking, although the heavy body armour model (kestrel?) is pretty funky looking. The Brit vehicles are really nicely modelled, IMO. The whole vehicle system is an improvement on the Arma system, and even the insurgent vehicles have a slightly nicer feel to them, even though they're very similar to the A1 ones (hard to put my finger on it).

Stuff like the buck-shot rounds for under-slung GLs are pretty sweet, too. I was really surprised by how well-done the 'stress effect' is when you come under fire. Stun grenades, too.

It is annoying that it lacks that smoothness you get with Arma 2's use of multi-core tech. I'll be keeping it installed for those times when I want to play around with the UK units, though. It was nice to be able to play around with a version of VBS2 and realise that, fun as it is, it doesn't really offer much more for the average Arma2 player than the 'game'.

I still dont understand the point for saying "the model is crap" or "the mission is suck" etc when come to VBS2, it is clear that its not aim for normal gaming market and eye candys should be the last thing to be bothered with

VBS2 is designed to teach procedure, not to entertain or impress. Sometimes those procedures need to be in specific places, hence the hurriedly put together maps with low terrain detail.

Exactly. The goal of VBS2 was never to impress gamers with uber-detailed vehicles, units or weapons, it's not even supposed to act as something to entertain. Yes compared to ArmA2 (and even ArmA1) it looks like crap but for the only purpose (military training) it exactly does what it's supposed to. For that purpose it's important that a tank is driving and firing, it doesn't matter if all screws, nuts and bolts are visible and at the correct place.

That said I also don't get those negative comments at all. :rolleyes:

Edited by W0lle