Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

Why are you running by default?

Because I got killed too many times due to being in walk mode. The last thing you want when someone starts shooting at you is walk back to cover or press an extra key to switch to a jog. Sprinting is often not an option either as there is no strafe sprint, and usually you would need to strafe back behind cover rather than run forward to it (and turning is also the last thing you want to worry about when bullets start flying). I just don't feel safe in walk mode. I learned to get along with the clunky movement and just stay in run mode 99% of the time, but for a lot of people it is a game breaker.

Besides, walking is way too slow most of the time. Walk pace in the game is 6km/h while running is 20 km/h. IRL you would never walk at 6km/h during a firefight (and neither should you in the game), and when not during a firefight walking is just so damn boringly slow, especially when the current island layout means you often have to walk over a kilometer to the objective which would take 10 whole minutes just to get the mission started, as opposed to 3 minutes of jogging plus maybe maximum 1 minute of rest with ACE2 (not 100% sure about the rest time with ACE2, but it can't be way off), or around 10 seconds or so with vanilla.

In the end I find little use for walking. If I'm shooting stuff I'm not moving anywhere, and if I'm not shooting I want to move as fast as possible, and if it means I need to take cover once in a while to rest then so be it. I'd do anything to not get caught in the open with my character in walking mode.

Besides, movement is clunky when walking as well, it's just not as significant because it's 30% speed and thus ~30% the effect, but it's still the same problem.

i dont understand why a game such as BF2 mod Projekt Reality is such a succes when this is such a fiasco online.

Projekt reality is practically trying to archieve what ArmA does. realistic team based gameplay.

if you think it's like Vanilla BF2 then your terribly wrong. it is practically a totally different game. the greatest thing about it however is the community. people play organised (mostly) obey the leader and fight as a team.

ArmA can do exaktly the same, just needs the community but it just isn't there.

Coop only accounts for 41% of what is being played, the rest are various forms of PvP.

Where do you get your numbers from :confused:

Not true at all. As was said, Warfare is one of the biggest PvP missions and is #1 mission currently. SBSMAC made an awesome wizard and script pack for creating pvp missions, I made one this morning in under a minute (granted it was too simplistic for my tastes). Coop only accounts for 41% of what is being played, the rest are various forms of PvP.
Link? and i see Warfare as a COOP type game.. and a Sp style game, But yeah lots of TvT for it too, but your 41% is from what?

Where do you get your numbers from :confused:

http://arma2.swec.se/game/statistics

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Link? and i see Warfare as a COOP type game.. and a Sp style game, But yeah lots of TvT for it too, but your 41% is from what?

Warfare is COOP? I guess if you only have human players on your side it would be considered COOP

The problem I've always had with Project Reality is that there's only about 3 servers in Australia, and only one of those is fully active at a time, and I only had a good experience on one server. One server no one would respond to my questions but they played along with me, that same server at a later time and the other servers whenever I would ask a question I would get voted off the server and temporarily banned.

Tried to like PR and the gameplay isn't bad, but the public Australian community is horrible from my experiences. Haven't bothered trying squad servers though.

The difference between Arma 2 and PR is that PR forces players into a teamwork approach at every turn. Arma 2 can do the same but that is up to the mission makers.

The difference between Arma 2 and PR is that PR forces players into a teamwork approach at every turn. Arma 2 can do the same but that is up to the mission makers.

MR. Pete you hit the nail on the head with that statement. Most online FPS players want to play player vs player missions that are simple and straight forward right out of the box.

BOHEMIA needs to make a few simple real player vs player missions that are balanced and are easy to join. This would get new players hooked and then they can dive into the open world of player made missions and all the great MOD'S the community has to offer. BF games are simple to join,fun and yes help/make players use a teamwork approach. ARMA games are so open, yes that is the great thing about ARMA but you need to get new players to see the light and the potential that player made missions have for all types of modes.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

I was playing DOMI yesterday and while on my way to ambush a convoy for a side mission my Stryker was killed by a KA, but I was able to bail out. I spent the next 30 minutes waiting by the side of the road, and was able to successfully finish the mission. I don't think your average ADHD FPS player wants that, but it was very gratifying.

Good call about the accessible PvP mission. When I started playing OFP online, it was all about going Rambo on the various Battlefield 1985 missions. Only after a year or two later I got into CTI, and then the mods and co-op/a&d missions. Fun times.

If server admins would actually be willing to run simple PvP missions then maybe people would make them. The ones I tried to make not only did not seem to get played if I didn't get on a server I have FTP access to and loaded the mission myself, but also got absolutely 0 feedback on the forums which made it near-impossible to improve them. Same goes for Devastation - the mission that tried to bring PR into Arma. It just didn't didn't get the attention needed to get it to continue developing and reach the point where it provides quality gameplay.

Of course it doesn't help that with the way BIS (and most island makers) make their islands makes it very very hard to make a playable PvP mission (it's actually hard to make a good COOP too but when it's AI on the other side it's always less of a problem and easier to work around).

If server admins would actually be willing to run simple PvP missions then maybe people would make them. The ones I tried to make not only did not seem to get played if I didn't get on a server I have FTP access to and loaded the mission myself, but also got absolutely 0 feedback on the forums which made it near-impossible to improve them. Same goes for Devastation - the mission that tried to bring PR into Arma. It just didn't didn't get the attention needed to get it to continue developing and reach the point where it provides quality gameplay.

Of course it doesn't help that with the way BIS (and most island makers) make their islands makes it very very hard to make a playable PvP mission (it's actually hard to make a good COOP too but when it's AI on the other side it's always less of a problem and easier to work around).

MR. galzohar you just hit the other nail on the head. Most players are vets of this game and most vet stay in locked server playing player made missions with MOD's Because this is the best way to play this game design hands down.

The real question of this trhead is why this game is not more popular. The of lack new players that stay with this game due to the fact most online games think PLAYER VS PLAYER modes are the best way to play. If BOHEMIA just gave a few simple player vs player missions that worked right out of the box and well balanced. These players would get hooked to the gameplay and then move on to player made content with all the things this game has to offer players.

PLAYER VS PLAYER BOHEMIA MADE MISSIONS will be the best recruitment tool

to help with a good flow of new players to join and stay with this game. How can you guys not see that. I know why because most of you are in your locked server doing your own thing with your units/groups/friends. Most of the vet servers should go public one or two times a week to help the new players that are trying this game but that will never happen beacuse most of you want things to stay the same overall.

Other key reasons why this game is not more popular are:

1. Major bugs from the initial release of the game. (yes most will be fix by BOHEMIA or the community in time)

2. Poor performance issues right out of the box using most hardware and a lot of time to get the game running right for most players.

3. No good system for addon/MOD's to help new players to join in some rooms and it can be hard to find any good games in public rooms.

4. Poor/lack of advertisement with mainstream players.

5. Not true reviews of the real gameplay from the start due to 1 & 2 above.

6. Over all player movemnts needs to be modified to speed things up a liitle. This is a fine line. I am not talking about a jump key lol but just a bit faster with all maneuvering in the game world.

BOHEMIA has the power to fix most of this but just like the old vet playing the game they are unwilling to change and are happy with the same old status. This game could tank all FPS it has the potential but needs a little change not a lot. If not this game will never grow in the overall numbers of online players.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

Have you seen the campaign? here's a reason they have left all of the mission making up to us :p

Yes, do you really think if BIS do make PvP missions that they will be any good? Look at any other mission they made and then answer. Expecting them to make such missions is just not realistic, as even if they were willing to the results would probably be subpar anyway. Besides, it's not like server admins would host them, just like they don't host current PvP missions.

I tried hosting, Devastation, AAS (these ons are the only ones which worked a bit), other C&H type.

I tried staying on server, advertising... well... server kept empty.

Outside of Domi & Warfare, nothing on public servers

PLAYER VS PLAYER BOHEMIA MADE MISSIONS will be the best recruitment tool to help with a good flow of new players to join and stay with this game.

+1

I think newer players would be more comfortable playing something that came with the game than something player made. It would also make a new server admin more comfortable if they had some good MP missions to choose from right out of the box. I'm talking about simple CTF, DM, KOH and such for new players to get their feet wet, similar to what OFP and Arma came with.

BIS is looking into the armory, hopefully with newer players in mind, so maybe a few other areas will get touched on too.

Good points by Galzohar too... I like your missions a lot, but haven't been able to test with more (any) people to provide feedback.

+1

I think newer players would be more comfortable playing something that came with the game than something player made.

Plus, this way they don't have to find a download, install it correctly and find the many addons it may require.

So what we got what BIS/publisher can improve?

1. improved performance with A2/OA (eg in cities, towns etc)

2. better AI eg: voice reports and feedback, using different tactics, following the orders given by player etc

3. great sp/mp missions + campaign with exciting but plausible background/story

4. handy features and modules eg for ambush, medevac, convoy's...

5. SP/MP lobby where people can see what addon/mod version is needed + configurable simple download-setup

6. more testing + playing + bugfixing the game and its missions before release

7. more advertising and showing what the game is all about

8. making documentations/tutorials for the first mission, island, weapon, vehicle etc

9. more free coffee + cookies for all BIS employees ;)

10. big party - "10 years of military simulation - developed by Bohemia Interactive"

So what we got what BIS/publisher can improve?

1. improved performance with A2/OA (eg in cities, towns etc)

2. better AI eg: voice reports and feedback, using different tactics, following the orders given by player etc

3. great sp/mp missions + campaign with exciting but plausible background/story

4. handy features and modules eg for ambush, medevac, convoy's...

5. SP/MP lobby where people can see what addon/mod version is needed + configurable simple download-setup

6. more testing + playing + bugfixing the game and its missions before release

7. more advertising and showing what the game is all about

8. making documentations/tutorials for the first mission, island, weapon, vehicle etc

9. more free coffee + cookies for all BIS employees ;)

10. big party - "10 years of military simulation - developed by Bohemia Interactive"

You need to add one more thing to the list for the developers when the game is done to go alone with the free coffee and cookies at the big party it's the free prostitutes for all the boys that worked so hard on the game.

^ This.

Well, the one they've had doing Colonel Blake in OFP:E, leader of Foxtrot in ArmA, leader of the mercs in QG and Cooper in ArmA II is pretty good, and speaks Czech and English. So you can keep him. :p

Edited by Zipper5

Well... for PvP no not PvP, but TvT, you will always have a very limited amount of players , and the ones who do stick to it, are very good at it, but the average FPS player(console owner...) MW2 ect will never catch on to the beauty of Arma.. its all ways something for them, just look at most of the "suggestions" they revolve around movement ect... They all want supper human action and fast respawn... Which BIS doesnt do.

The REAL TvT play that has evolved around A1/A2 is great already... but as all the people who host say, they cant keep enough players on...cause the game isnt for the average FPS player and never will and shouldnt. This is the Last True COOP Tactical game left, which good TvT comes from... There are more than enough FPS rambo in your face fun stuff. As for project reality well there isnt very many servers for that.. And it had the whole BF2 hoopla to start from. Hence its a high quality style of play Like A2 that just isnt for the populace... they buy Bigmacs and think American Idol is great ect. ( well there is Evo...)

The only thing that can make A2/OA more popular is to release the game with less show stoppers. Performance is fine if you buy the kit, and most kids cant afford a "good" comp..( which is good, less kids more adults online for A2).

I tried hosting, Devastation, AAS (these ons are the only ones which worked a bit), other C&H type.

I tried staying on server, advertising... well... server kept empty.

Outside of Domi & Warfare, nothing on public servers

Where do you live?

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

They all want supper human action and fast respawn... Which BIS doesnt do.

The only thing that BIS does extremely well is to stay the hell out of our way and let us make what we want to out of the game. That counts for a lot given the way most game companies want to micro manage their customers, but it isn't enough to make them 'popular'

The only thing that BIS does extremely well is to stay the hell out of our way and let us make what we want to out of the game. That counts for a lot given the way most game companies want to micro manage their customers, but it isn't enough to make them 'popular'

Actually, yeah you're right. I mean, not about "the only thing", I would say they do lots of things very well, but about the staying out the way business, good call.