Sign in to follow this  
zeep

ARMA 2's player movement "feel"

Would you like to see ARMA 2's player movement improved?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see ARMA 2's player movement improved?

With a current project in mind i want to see how many people in this community feel similar.

Would you like to see ARMA 2's player movement improved?

(Either by BIS or a mod, for the sake of the poll it's irrelevant).

I love ARMA 2, it's almost limitless and it speaks to my imagination. My main focus in gameplay is infantry class. Not a fan of sky/ground.

The player movement to me feels clunky and unnatural, especially apparent in- and around towns/houses (CQB). Small sidesteps and movements are awkward to do, because the animation somehow makes it a spastic move. Moving around inside a house makes you feel like a hippo. The collision radius is wrong too.

I don't have movie explamples (yet) but this is one example anyway.

I think momentum should be factored into movement a little more and maybe have the option of automatically lowering your gun when facing too close to a wall.

Yeah, we need a lowering-of-the-gun feature close to walls. Otherwise it's fine me reckon.

I like some stuff from ArmA1. Moreover the FOV from 1.08. Also, regarding the collision issue. This problem was present in ArmA1, making CQB and anything in buildings almost near impossible. Luckily kju (Q) made a PROPER addon that fixed the collision shape for all weapons. Not sure if we'll see it in ArmA2 unfortunately.

Yeah, we need a lowering-of-the-gun feature close to walls. Otherwise it's fine me reckon.

2xCTRL? :p

I wish they'd make it so animations don't make you unable to move until the animation is finished.

^ Agreed. Thats the big problem but unlikely to be fixable I think.

I voted no.

Ofcourse improvements are welcomed, but then again what is an improvement? So far from OFP-arma-arma2 I think arma2 has the best movement. I like the simulated body. I read in other threads people that want back the OFP movement. I guess they would see what I see as a huge step backward as improvement.

I have no problem inside buildings, I walk and lower the gun when its not much space (one button that lowers it and take it back up when released).

I think that it is currently very good, though there's always room for improvement. Out of all of BIS' games, ArmA II easily has the best animations, mostly due to the fact BIS have separated the upper and the bottom half of the body to allow them to be animated separately, hence why reloading while moving is possible. Improvements are always welcomed, but don't make it on-the-spot swiveling with crappy animations like that "other game".

Among the things that annoy me about this game, compared to ofp and ArmA1 is the animations. Particularly the Robotic jolting up and down - forwards and backwards motion of your weapon in 'walking' mode, I find it maddening. You would have to be a Robot with Tourette's syndrome to actually move like that in the real world.

Secondly, the speed-of-light transition between the end of the running animation and then bringing your weapon to bear animation. The transition is so quick between the two that the human eye is not fast enough to see the switch between them.

Thirdly, the speed of the 'sideways' slow walk compared to the speed of the 'forward' slow walk. The 'sideways' animation is faster than the 'forward' animation - but I would like to see the 'sideways' animation reduced to around half the speed of the 'forwards' walk, 'sideways' is much too fast and clumsy especially when you are trying to get a peep round the edge of a wall.

Having said that the animations look good in third person mode - but who plays in third person? All these flaws in animation are exacerbated by slow frame rates.

I would love it if the above could be tweaked.

:bounce3:

... Particularly the Robotic jolting up and down - forwards and backwards motion of your weapon in 'walking' mode, I find it maddening. You would have to be a Robot with Tourette's syndrome to actually move like that in the real world.

You have headbob on?

You have headbob on?

No, not the head-bob, I mean the animation of your weapon that you are holding when walking.

I have the head-bob reduced to virtually non-existant.

The poll is flawed. Of course everyone is going to vote for an 'improvement'. In the poll you must specify what you want to change, and make a list of neutrally worded changes. Breakable animations, automatic features, more 'classic' fps feel- all neutral choices. "Who wants to make things better?", not a valid option.

in first person? No issue here, i like the movement when walking, with the gun up.

Noway you can hold a gun steady while you walk. And its worse with a scope!

its the best "sim" part of the first person view...

Edited by kklownboy

Hi zeep! So much time since the Inf days ehh ;)

Let's see. ArmA 2 movement is mostly good, very immersive and with good animations. BUT... it fails for CQB. Why? Because IRL you have a much more control over your own body, you can graduate how long or how short are your steps, how fast or how low, give a half-step and the go to another direction etc. In Arma 2 the "minimum" movement is a step that maybe it's too big, and the animation have to play, it doesn't interpolate with your movements. That's the flaw of Bohemia movement system, which also is the good point: movement is linked to animations much more heavily than in other fps.

I voted yes because some movement tweaks would be good, but I am pretty happy with the movement as oppose to other games.

Cut. Similiar response in a different thread.

Edited by Logan9773

I think in CQB it's great. Just take out a smaller weapon, draw your sights and always walk. Thats what you would do in reality, and it feels great in Arma 2.

I voted no because i didnt agree with the first post, though i do think that it can be improved somewhat. Mostly the weapon should automatically lower when you walk into a wall, while its cool that big weapons are harder to use indoors now its a bit overdone and its alot less intuitive then in real life.

Another neutral here (aka don't care). It is not that I don't care, it is just my concern that 'improving' the movement could result in something like the ridiculous jumping and diving which is found in other fps, where CQB resembles a bunny rabbit disco.

Everybody struggles with the movement when they first start playing ArmA, the inevitable result of being brought up on Quake and COD where you can adjust your position through 360 degrees in centimetre increments like you're on castors and you run everywhere - even indoors. I think most people who stick with ArmA grow to love the movement and the integrity of ArmA's full-body animations (freelook, proper disruption to sighting when moving or changing stance). That's not to say I wouldn't like the animation system to be more interruptible but I understand why they elected for what we have and I think they opted for the right compromises.