• Kellu by Mondkalb
    • Klurs by SenChi
    • Namalsk by Sumrak
    • Panthera by IceBreakr
    • Queh-Kibrul by floosy
    • Sbrodj by ADO Old Bear
    • Six litte green bag by spirit

Hello everbody

since my favourite toys in BIS games are the Islands which are created by our community members I just thought to open a poll to see which 3rd party Islands are the best and which is the favourite Island for the community.

This is definitely a tough decision due to the extreme quality of what I've seen so far.

I left beta and demo versions out of this poll, my apologies to the authors I didn't list for that reason and moreover I was limited by ten options in the poll available.

Please leave a brief comment why you voted for a particular Island.

Edited: This is a multiple choice poll so you can give more than one vote.

Thank you.

nettrucker

p.s. Please remind that all the map makers are working hard to realease new quality stuff for the community and their only reward they have is your feedback

Edited by nettrucker
added content

My vote went to Quesh-Kibrul, though I need to spend more time on Podagorsk.

At first Quesh seems like a fairly standard (though very well-made) desert island map, but the more I play it the more impressed I am. It's very well designed both on a large and small scale - it feels very good for long-range tank or air battles but just as good for infantry. It surprised me just how authentic it feels when running around on foot.

It's also nice that I can max out my viewdistance on it without lagging!

Queh-Kibrul - Just the best island in arma 2. Original which most of the above maps just lack.

I like too many Islands to vote for just one.

I've made the poll multi choice so that you can select the Islands you like most.

I for myself did a multiple choice voting, since every Island I voted is top notch and unique in it's creation. Every Island got it's own atmosphere. The ones I voted are my preferred and the best released so far IMHO.

Cheers

nettrucker:D

Voted Podagorsk, Everon and SiX Little Green Bag.

Podagorsk, best island ever for any BIS game, period. Everything feels just about right. Only Tonal comes close to this experience.

Everon, because...well, its Everon and Sgt. Ace did one hell of a job converting it to Arma 1/2 standarts. With bigger cities/villages and denser forrests it would be perfect.

SIX Little Green Bag, cute little island with lots of interesting spots to explore. SLGB + SIX Mission Generator = countless hours of fun.

But I do enjoy other islands, too, of course, its just that the three above match my personal preferences the most. :)

Edited by malibu.stacey

Quesh-Kibrul is a truly fantastic map. I was a bit sceptical at first looking at some of the screenies, but finally there is a decent desert map for A2.

A work of art :)

Edited by cm.

I voted Quesh-Kibrul & Panthera but if you had waited a little longer with this poll i would most likely have voted Isla Duala ;)

I voted Quesh-Kibrul because i like the desert middle eastern atmosphere and the huge urban area :cool:

I voted Panthera because it's a well made island and objects is not just randomly placed but thought out :cool:

Voted Podaga, Quesh comes a close second.

Really looking forward to Thirsk though.

Interesting thread!

Another point worth bearing in mind is that quite a few (most?) of these islands are revamped ported A1 islands - understandably, only the best islands get ported, so the "A1 in new clothes" guys are already "best of the bunch" (and first to be released)... Full-scale built-from-scratch A2 islands are mostly still work-in-progress (islands take ages! :(), and there's some truly astonishing stuff in the pipeline...

Meantime I voted FDF Podagorsk for sheer attention to detail (their motto is obviously More Real Than Real!)

Panthera for bold use of navigable waterway and use of Real World elevation data

... and Sbrodj/Quesk-Kibrul - for sheer playability (often forgotten in the quest for pure terrain awesomeness)...

... can't vote for Duala... yet...

B

quesh-kibrul and panthera are my favourites, podaga in armed assault 1 was my favorite, now in the 2, the vegetation of arma 2 leaves much to be desired, therefore I cannot like: (

what duala leaves, its my favorite without doubts: D

I think that the island Klurs should not participate in the voting:)

Because I had not yet released his.

A Klurs-1 is just a port A1 :)

I think that the island Klurs should not participate in the voting:)

Because I had not yet released his.

A Klurs-1 is just a port A1 :)

Sorry. Do you want it to be removed from the polls list? Than I will remove it.

Please let me know.

Thanks

p.s. Even it's a port I love your Island.

Please let me know.

No no no, do not worry:)

I just said it ,because the quality Klurs-1 is much lower than the new islands A2 :)

He was square and ugly.

Man this is a hard decision. All of them are very well made. But I had to vote for Podagorsk. Simply because I love FDF mods work since OFP.

I am still trying out different islands, so I have not yet decided what island I like the most, therefor I have not yet voted. Seeing that Podagosrk received the most votes, I am a little confused as to why. I designed a huge mission in Podagosrk and I was very happy with the entire design. It took me a couple of weeks to finish creating the mission. When I finally started playing it with friends I started to notice that on way too many occasions the enemy was shooting at us through the trees. We could not see the enemy at all through the trees, yet the enemy could see us and accurately kill us through the trees. Many times the trees would get knocked over by enemy tanks, which made spotting the enemy even more difficult and we would still continue to get killed by enemy shooting through the fallen trees. I scrapped the mission. I will never use that island again. It's not the island that is the problem really, the real problem is how the AI can see you right through the trees and they will shoot you.

I just finished building a mission using the island "Faysh Khabur Iraq", which has almost no trees and it is a huge island, but I ran into some problems where my RPT file shows the following errors:

opxbuildings\little mosque.p3d: house, config class missing

opxbuildings\shack.p3d: house, config class missing

Apparently the opx addon is the problem and I can't seem to get it sorted out, so it looks like I will be scrapping another 2 weeks worth of hard work. If somebody knows a way that I could fix my opx errors, like if there is a more up-to-date version of the opx addon, please let me know.

I did a search for "Arma 2 best Addon Island" and it lead me to this thread. I am going to try some of the other islands that received alot of good votes. I'll come back and vote here when I have more experience with the different islands.

I fail to see why you have to dig out a more than 2 years old thread for your complaints about the AI and problems with downloaded terrains.

The AI can not see through trees, we had enough discussions about this in the past and it's simply not true.

For your problems with Faysh Khabur, contact the creator or post this in the release thread.