Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta!

Oh, in addition they don't realize how much it restricts your breathing to wear one of those vests.

So will NAPA fighters be marathon runners, or does ACE assume that they're out of shape?

Its hard to argue with you about you experience so i wont, but i have trained crosscountry running pretty much all my life and i have been in the Swedish amphibious army that is considerd one of the more though experiences the military in Sweden has to offer. I have trained alot before i was drafted and was often out, running in the forrest with 20kg in backpack and my boots. You CAN run with that ammount in the backpack and boots, but in my experience, you cant run very fast for very long (no 2*W that is) and the weapon you have usually decrease your running performance bigtime.

When we wore out running we usually ran at a tempo slightly lower then the usual arma 2 running tempo and in that tempo we could keep going for miles...

I think this topic has been discussed so may times already so i dont think your gonna have alot of luck with changing the ACE-teams mind. But if you wanna try, send in a feature ticket. ;)

Running in lower tempo for miles, would be a very good way to make mod mod more realistic and playable, instead of running fast and drop down after 100meters.

ok trying to read all this forum and the tracker list is way to much to try read and concentrate to find any thing im looking for to me it waste of time i try searching keyword but time no luck, any way idk if this has be asked but i will ask in hope tht some one can help out or point me in the right direction i just wondering about the character seating animation in the helo as most of them stand like a star rather than seating in a seat? is tht a error or me?

Sounds like a bug

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

So will NAPA fighters be marathon runners, or does ACE assume that they're out of shape?

You will have to ask them.

Stamina is good. No point to argue on that, ACE team wont change it anyways... BUT! Recovering time is TOO LONG! ACE team you can say whatever you want on this, but it is too long, and I'm sure many will agree on this.

Effect of closing eyes and deafness is wrong, if you can't think of anything better because you don't want to affect game FPS then remove it and make character move slower with heavy breathing and hart bumping fast only....

The way it's done now is annoying even for experienced ACE players and real life trained soldiers.

Thanks guys. Writing your feedback/reports in bold, won't get the report onto the issue tracker though.

Feel free to discuss in here, but if you want it to reach our devs, you'll have to update the tracker instead :)

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/6986 ;)

My post crossed yours. Cannot/did not see it in the list because you have put it in the wrong project. You want A.C.E. 2 project.

Edited by [KH]Jman

Ive heard something about a helicopter pilot using side view camera, but I coudn't find any documents on it.

Is it not implemented yet? or am I having a daydream...?

It's not for pilots, but for crew chief and door gunner slots. when you are in one of those slots press "w" to get a leaned out view. It is called the "load master camera" feature. It is implemented and should work for just about every appropriate slot.

anyone else got the problem with the updater, that you have to run it a few times, that there are all pbos in the ACEX/Addon folders?

yesterday i downloaded the new update with the SIX_Updater. just pressed button 2, and ENTER as always.

Then i saw that there is just the .repositry.yml in the addon folder.

2nd try, like 8 pbo's where in the folder. (all were still packed at .repositry folder)

3rd try it finally worked.

today wanted to download a new island, created a new preset for it. (just to download the island)

its still checking and deleting my ACEX folder^^

any ideas?

anyone else got the problem with the updater, that you have to run it a few times, that there are all pbos in the ACEX/Addon folders?

yesterday i downloaded the new update with the SIX_Updater. just pressed button 2, and ENTER as always.

Then i saw that there is just the .repositry.yml in the addon folder.

2nd try, like 8 pbo's where in the folder. (all were still packed at .repositry folder)

3rd try it finally worked.

today wanted to download a new island, created a new preset for it. (just to download the island)

its still checking and deleting my ACEX folder^^

any ideas?

Thanks for report. Does the updater suddenly die ? If it does, please add six-updater\tools\ruby\bin\ruby.exe to DEP Protection exceptions. At least, i've seen people workaround 'suddenly dies' situations.

(The DEP exception list is under the "Advanced" tab in the System Properties control panel.)

Otherwise, please attach the logfiles located in six-updater\logs to a ticket at: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/issues

nope sickboy, it didnt die.

said it was ready please press ENTER to exit :)

i guess ill just wait for the next update, if problem still exists ill open a ticket.

thanks anfiach ok so dose tht mean i have to look though over 600 bug reports on the issue tracker to make sure no one else has posted it??? it be helpful if there was diffrent section to narrow it down like armor, air, infantry, weapon, equipment, six update, the game itself, im sorry for the constant nagging and i know it still a beta, it just be cool to know whats going on with out spending hours asking and searching question and answers

thanks anfiach ok so dose tht mean i have to look though over 600 bug reports on the issue tracker to make sure no one else has posted it??? it be helpful if there was diffrent section to narrow it down like armor, air, infantry, weapon, equipment, six update, the game itself, im sorry for the constant nagging and i know it still a beta, it just be cool to know whats going on with out spending hours asking and searching question and answers

You can use the search function to see if it has been reported as a bug, I've seen similar bugs occurring while playing so it has been reported most likely but it could also be an issue with the map. If you are seeing it all the time it might be on your end. That's the best I can tell you mate as I am neither BIS or the ACE mod team.

Perhaps there is some way of modeling the chaffing of skin, the smell of being unshowered for 3 days straight, and the mental fogginess of going without sleep for 36 hours? I mean, if this is about "hi fidelity" combat simulations....

Any chance of getting "Fast Ropeing" to work in multiplayer?

is there a post dedicated to the six updater? i did a quick look around and didnt find one. It might be smart to dedicate a thread to it, since so many are having simple issues, that could be solved without adding tickets on devheaven.

besides all the flaming of it is useless in this topic.

ps. i personally love it to death, despite cussing it mercilessly for a few hours till i figured out the error i made. once i fixed my issue and followed directions, OMG its a dream come true!

I just wanted to chime in and say that so far I've been enjoying ACE since it's release and refuse to play without it now. I've had no issues yet with stamina (I realize it's hard to do in a game and the team is trying their best to give a good feel and have come to actually like it in some ways. It forces me to think about what I can and should carry instead of being a one-man army).

As far as the updater, I hated with every fiber of my being.....at first. It was due to my lack of understanding how to do everything, but as I do it more and more, it becomes less painless and quite simple to use for updating. :)

My only gripe at the moment and a rather minor one at that, is the pressure effect. I like it, but for some reason I'm noticing a bit of occasional nausea kicking in if I see it too much when firing the 249 for example. I think it's just my crappy eyesight that is doing it. Again, it's only a minor thing and not really the fault of anyone other than me for having such horrible eyeballs screwed into my head from birth. :p

Liking the recoil values as well. I don't feel like a frail 90 year old trying to shoot anymore like I did back in ACE1 for Armed Assault.

Overall, I am enjoying ACE2 hands down through and through. :yay:

is there a post dedicated to the six updater? i did a quick look around and didnt find one. It might be smart to dedicate a thread to it, since so many are having simple issues, that could be solved without adding tickets on devheaven.

besides all the flaming of it is useless in this topic.

ps. i personally love it to death, despite cussing it mercilessly for a few hours till i figured out the error i made. once i fixed my issue and followed directions, OMG its a dream come true!

Thanks a lot for your message franklin! (and Betsalel)

I've been considering it multiple times but we work with the dev-heaven.net issue tracker.

(Maybe still good to have a discussion thread?)

The issue's going to be that people probably will search support for the download they want to get, thus ending up in the ACE or other mods threads anyhow.

So instead we redirect people to the issue tracker unless they are reporting a known issue.

The biggest wave of complaints and problems were the first 2 days, now there's here and there a problem or complaint popping up, but i'd like to think it'll disappear mostly in time :)

I'd think we should close this thread upon Beta 2, RC / Final, if the mods agree, and start a new one.

If we keep improving the documentation, software and mod, open up the platform's apis and services to more mods/servers,

and milestone releases keep being provided as ordinary downloads, all should be well :)

Most people seem to look only at the work involved in setting up the updater, and only see that in context of the ACE Mod.

In fact they are preparing themselves once for a whole range of mods / servers, accessible with the push of a button.

In any case, people will have to accept that the official distribution system for the Mod at this time is the Updater Suite, (certainly can't complain the support has been lacking :P)

but also know that they can find the mod elsewhere at fan-sites, in their favorite format. Just not officially supported.

Edited by Sickboy

will there be an update today ?

Nope.

Update schedule is 6:00PM GMT on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. This will be broken only if a showstopping bug is found, and an update cannot wait until the next scheduled update.

Just want to extend my thanks to the ACE team for a job well done. The amount of time spent on this project is very apparent and the fact that it is free is a testament to the love of the game. Well done!

I have followed this thread from the start and have read every post would like to take a moment to say a few things. I believe it would be my American brethren that are the ones pondering if they can carry X amount of gear so far cause they have done it in real life ect ect. Let me do a bit of math and maybe this discussion will be nipped in the bud, or at least until it gets burried. After breaking out my conversion calculator...40 kgs in gear is equal to 88 pounds...yes, 88 pounds ( heavier than you thought? ) Now go and grab a bag of cement mix which weighs in at 80 pounds, strap it to you back at your local footbal field and do a 100 yard dash. You can envision the rest...

Keep in mind that 100 yards is only only 91 meters.

Sickboy, I have really no complaints other than wish the heartbeat would get progressivly faster rather than kind of peak out at a sound and rate like im at a scary movie hehe. If you think it is worthy of bringing up in the dev section I will. Also just something for you guys to think about....Although it does not bother me, you may want to remove the flashing blackout screens but keep the fall down blackout, reason being is random flickers like that can cause a siezure, it can trigger them even if someone has never had one before but were medical disposed to eventually having one. the fact that it also cuts the sound when it happens amplifies the effect. Up to you guys, I think its fine but I am also not liable <wink>.

Great mod, great work, great support...

I can't get any of the goggles/glasses/balaclava etc. items to work. I have copied over my profile info into the cfg in the ACE folder like the FAQ said and added a name part yet I can't get the items to become usable. It says the action menu, that is when you click or scroll the middle mouse wheel right? Or is it the left windows button binding, because I can't get that to do anything either. Any help?

I have followed this thread from the start and have read every post would like to take a moment to say a few things. I believe it would be my American brethren that are the ones pondering if they can carry X amount of gear so far cause they have done it in real life ect ect. Let me do a bit of math and maybe this discussion will be nipped in the bud, or at least until it gets burried. After breaking out my conversion calculator...40 kgs in gear is equal to 88 pounds...yes, 88 pounds ( heavier than you thought? ) Now go and grab a bag of cement mix which weighs in at 80 pounds, strap it to you back at your local footbal field and do a 100 yard dash. You can envision the rest...

Keep in mind that 100 yards is only only 91 meters.

Your concept is flawed. The weight of said items is distributed, not just one central location. Modern body armor distributes the wieght between the shoulders, and the hips, allowing to carry heavier loads. Add ammunition to the front of your vest, and other various equipment. Then put an assault pack on your back. The two balance each other out. The body can perform longer with the weight distributed throughout the body. I have run 100 meters with all this crap on, tired? Yea, a bit. Gunna pass out? I think not.

It takes quite a bit of running before you get to the point of passing out. Take it how you will, I don't have any real complaints about the system in use.

Your concept is flawed. The weight of said items is distributed, not just one central location. Modern body armor distributes the wieght between the shoulders, and the hips, allowing to carry heavier loads. Add ammunition to the front of your vest, and other various equipment. Then put an assault pack on your back. The two balance each other out. The body can perform longer with the weight distributed throughout the body. I have run 100 meters with all this crap on, tired? Yea, a bit. Gunna pass out? I think not.

It takes quite a bit of running before you get to the point of passing out. Take it how you will, I don't have any real complaints about the system in use.

If you noticed, I was not complaining about it, was putting things into perspective for those who may not realize how heavy a kilo is. Nor did I say you would pass out after doing that in real life, nor did I say you could not do it in the game with ACE, cause you can. Think you read the wrong post.

Recovering time is TOO LONG! ACE team you can say whatever you want on this, but it is too long, and I'm sure many will agree on this.

Effect of closing eyes and deafness is wrong, if you can't think of anything better because you don't want to affect game FPS then remove it and make character move slower with heavy breathing and hart bumping fast only....

The way it's done now is annoying even for experienced ACE players and real life trained soldiers.

I agree that it is too long, but the solution is simple: Never get to that point in the first place. ;) If you have problems keeping up, inform your squad leader. Unless those times that I've tried the system, I've never ended up in a stamina "problem". Except once, but I believe it was a bug; stamina had not recovered after 30 minutes and I've taken off all/most of my gear.

I agree that "slower walking" would be better, but animation speed cannot be controlled this way, so... Only heavy breathing and heart pumping? Nobody would care. Blur might be a better solution than blacking out and hearing loss, but won't that affect low res users more than high res users, creating imbalance? Also, can once blur effect work at the same time as another (tear gas i.e.)?

Nobody has problem seeing that some of the effects are unrealistic. Unfortunately, forcing a stop is required to make an effect on the player, and not too many other options exist. Unrealistic, yes. Do I have problems with it? Not at all. For those that do have a problem with it, try to prevent getting into that situation in the first place.

And, naturally, don't go play Domination and whatnot on public servers. The gameplay here is usually so fast they should never have run ACE in the first place. You feel "forced" into a fast pace because "everyone else" plays like it was BF2. Go play with someone who prefers to slow down everything, it's a much better experience.