Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta!

For handy:

I was able to put an hour or so in the updater-server site, I applied the template of one of my other projects, the template is by Chill :)

I've added list of mods, versions, sizes, and when they were updated (WHICH IS NOT ACCURATE ATM), and there's prototype RSS feature, probably not even useful yet.

At some point I intend to use the information also in the web-client.

Still very WIP, don't bother naughty comments ;)

http://updater.dev-heaven.net/main

(Same framework as the web-client ;))

I used the lazy method for installing ACE and ACEX, using the beta file but I'm getting "Error compiling pixel shader PSSSSMSpecularAlpha:1" Can anyone tell me whats up?

Error-compiling-pixel-shader

Never got an answer for this, so I reposted. Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

The CfgVehicles file was just a way to get the class names for the weapons and ammo before they were put up on the BIKI.

1.) I believe the HK416s have been discussed. They will be added eventually.(I'm pretty sure it was mentioned here)

2.) Are you sure it's different? Or are you playing my mission? If you are playing my mission with it, it's not an ACE2 version. It's Mr_Centipede's enhanced version. I've been playing with the HC lately and I haven't noticed anything different. It would be nice to order them to load though, it's not currently available.(At least I don't know how to do it but would love to know how)

Hi, can anyone tell me whether this is a bug or a feature?

This is what a BMP-2 and a T-72 looks like when it's destroyed in ACE 2.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/PieShade/arma22009-12-1101-54-36-34.png

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/PieShade/arma22009-12-1101-54-24-98.png

Some parts just don't have a damage texture anymore.

Note: These are the standard BIS models, so something has gone wrong.

Edit: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/6788

Edited by IceShade

Did you place @cba first in the -mods= list in the shortcut?

Yeah I just tried that. It still gives me the same error message and I can't figure out why.

Here is the exact message:

Include file x/cba/addons/main/script_macros_common.hpp not found

Thank you.

Just a question, can I run this with extra addons like the RH weapons packs, plus the JTD smoke and fire, the shortened grass mod, etc?

Thank you.

Just a question, can I run this with extra addons like the RH weapons packs, plus the JTD smoke and fire, the shortened grass mod, etc?

Yes, i am using JTD smoke and warfx mods with ace just fine...

1. that ACE2_CfgVehicles is a list of class names for ACEX. You can find it here anyways: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Class_Lists_for_ACEX

To answer your question, NO, you don't need it placed anywhere for ACE to work.

2. regarding HKs, i have already answered this once:

3. you can't give very specific orders to your subordinate squads. That has nothing to do with ACE, but with A2.

Thanks for the answers, yeah the thread is getting long I guess I missed that HK answer within the multitude of posts

I haven't noticed yet in-game since i'm playing custom SEALS missions, but have the USMC units been replaced by US army units, or was army just added as another available faction?

I haven't noticed yet in-game since i'm playing custom SEALS missions, but have the USMC units been replaced by US army units, or was army just added as another available faction?

Added faction

found an interesting bug by accident tonight while playing on kh server, i accidently threw my glowstick instead of attaching it, well i was very surprised when the trench wall i was facing exploded in my face decaping me in the process.

glowsticks protentral dynamite

I see there are lots of posts giving a more "complaining" point of view, so I thought I could share a more "happy ending", constructive report.

First of all, the Six-Updater is, in my opinion, a wonder in itself. Consider the fact that you are not installing a simple mod: ACE is like a combination of efforts from multiple developers and that's why it's so large in size. We all know the quantity and quality of elements contained within the mod itself.

Now think about it: you get the zip file and install it like any other mod..what happens when one single file gets updated? It could be a very important modification for the game balance but it's going to get mixed inside the hundreds of files..so you think: I am going to get a report from my favorite ArmA2 website, download the file, unpack it, place it right where it should be...too many elements.

The Six Updater manages to centralize everything: it connects to a master server, retreives "what is new", understands what mirror is going to be the fastest for you and then updates ONLY what is needed. If you live on the server-side, this makes it for a sunny day in your life.

Now the problem is, installation is not always smooth as silk. The updater is getting better and better and lots of fixes and tweaks have been made in order to make it fully operational.

Generally, from my point of view, there is no problem installing Six-Updater and running it on x86 machines (32-bit).

Installing Six-Updater

1) Download the latest Six-Updater version;

2) Install it;

3) Run it from the desktop shortcut;

4) Select option 1;

5) The updater searches for newer versions and then launches the web interface;

Using the Web Interface

At that point you can use your browser to surf to http://localhost:16333 and the admin interface pops up.

If you are a server admin (this is not required if you are updating your mod installation on a client-side..it's especially useful for the admin who wants to manage the server remotely and does not want to have plain, easy access to the server settings in Six Updater) the first thing you want to do is go change your log/pass.

1) Click on administration, then go to users;

2) Click on "edit" for the admin;

3) Update your profile, change your login and password, save your changes;

Now, the next thing I would is synchronize my Six Updater..

Synchronizing the updater

1) In the updater-client site, click in the side menu on Configuration specifically

2) If you have received login credentials, please enter the Username and Password.

3) Click "Synchronize"

4) Synchronization is finished once you see some records on screen.

After that, you just enter the main area and tell your Six Updater to know what mods and files it will need to keep a look out for:

Entering the mods to install and update in the future

1) In the updater-client site, browse in the side menu to presets (available in the SubMenu of "Configuration")

2) At Beta, or another preset of your choosing, click "edit" (on the right).

3) At Mods, in the box - select -, select an additional mod from the list, and click "Add existing". Repeat this for every additional mod you would like to use..

..you probably want to add ACE, ACEX and CBA here. But notice..there are other mods too..don't make it too busy for now (at least that's what I told myself) :)

4) Click "Update" to save the changes.

If you want to enter you servers in the "servers" tab, do it. It's more for a future plans of having the server tracked and logged, not really mandatory at this point from my point of view but I leave it to SickBoy as I know he can elaborate way better than me on the matter :).

At this point, you need to get to:

Installing and confirming update for the mods you selected

1) In the updater-client site, browse in the side menu to main

2) Pick the action of your chosing ("Install or Update, and start game" is most useful.)

3) Click "Execute" to fetch the latest updater and run it with your selected configuration.

If you click on "ExecuteAlt" the server is going to log the cmd on-screen response and send it via Ajax to your web client...great for remote server administration..now, you see why Six Updater is really a great tool for something as complex and vast as ACE.

Now, as I wrote above..this is what happens, nice and clean, on x86 machines.

One of our servers runs on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 x64..which means 64-bit..which means headaches for most gaming servers of present times..not always, but sometimes..it does.

What happens when you run Six-Updater on x64 machines? The updater is going to get in trouble because the x64 version of "cmd" doesn't use or make use of chcp, which is something Six-Updater needs. This results in the web interface cmd (the second command prompt window appearing on screen..just to make it clear) closing almost instantly after it is launched by Six-Updater.

What does it mean? It means no web interface, no way to open your browser and point it to the http://localhost:1633 interface.

You can work around this problem in two ways:

Workaround for web interface closing on x64 operating systems

1) Use the "lazy" method:

http://dev-heaven.net/wiki/ace-mod2/Lazy

2) Copy chcp.com from c:\windows\system32 to C:\program files (x86)\six-updater\tools\ruby\bin (make sure you use your Six-Updater installation folder, this one is an example for the default installation path);

3) Rename the copied chcp.com to chcp.exe (change the extension to .exe);

After you've done this just follow the normal steps as described above. You'll be able to use option "1" and use the web interface normally.

After a couple days working and testing with SickBoy I can say this works, nice and clean, on all my x64 installments. If you still think Six Updater was "useless" to implement on ACE, take a couple minutes into the web interface and explore the possibilities..if you are a server admin. If you are on the gaming client-side of this matter..think how great it is to click, update just what you need and get to play with a super-updated latest-hot-smoking version of your favorite ArmA 2 mod.

ArmA 2 is a game with a lot of teamplay elements added. It's not too hard to give a little of that teamplay element out of ArmA 2, as well..

-A

Edited by puppi22

The CfgVehicles file was just a way to get the class names for the weapons and ammo before they were put up on the BIKI.

1.) I believe the HK416s have been discussed. They will be added eventually.(I'm pretty sure it was mentioned here)

2.) Are you sure it's different? Or are you playing my mission? If you are playing my mission with it, it's not an ACE2 version. It's Mr_Centipede's enhanced version. I've been playing with the HC lately and I haven't noticed anything different. It would be nice to order them to load though, it's not currently available.(At least I don't know how to do it but would love to know how)

Well it is sort'a the same... except for example when you select subordinate unit and point to a location in first person mode (or third) and press fire button, they do not move to that position.

Six Updater is awesome!

-Click the icon

-press 2

-Start the coffee pot

-Roll one up ( What? Tobacco!)

-It's updated and ready to go.

Can't get any easier than that.

Six Updater is awesome!

-Click the icon

-press 2

-Start the coffee pot

exactly what i do no more no less..... Simplessss

I had problems with the windows key too Lucan. I reassigned the default windows-key bindings to a "regular" key (for me, Shift-X to be precise) and got the interaction window to open for CSW's.

Haven't tried interactions with AI yet.

(PS If you don't know navigate to C:.../Arma 2/userconfig/Ace/ace_keys.hpp to change key binds)

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

I had a similar problem. Had to download Ace.rsync.7z from Armaholic, extract the ".rsync" folder from that, and copy and paste it into @ACE and @ACEX.

thanks, that fixed it.

I have a stupid question.

Given that you are releasing new content AND fixes with frequency, is there any single place to view changelogs? This Biki page is empty so far.

Fresh from the press, Changelogs from the source!

http://updater.dev-heaven.net/main

Otherwise you can find the changelog.txt's in your modfolders, or our ace news tracker.

I really love how easy this setup was....I absolutely love the mod, thanks so much!

Well it is sort'a the same... except for example when you select subordinate unit and point to a location in first person mode (or third) and press fire button, they do not move to that position.

Are you sure? If it's my mission for some reason the 2nd HC group is under F1.(Usually I've seen the player group F1) So if you try to order around the F2 unit nothing happens, cause your ordering yourself around. Check to make sure that's not it.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

I really love how easy this setup was....I absolutely love the mod, thanks so much!

No doubt. Everyday I realize how great this mod is. Let's not forget how great A2 is as well. BIS really gave these guys a great canvas to work with. What I love about this mod is it unlocks the true ability of what this game is and can be.

Cheers to Sickboy and all the ACE2 guys, and to BIS for such a wicked game!

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

exactly what i do no more no less..... Simplessss

Me too!!!!

Six Updater is awesome!

-Click the icon

-press 2

-Start the coffee pot

Agreed, and you can even take it one step further:

Schedule it to run at a set time, for example at each login, so you don't need to have to worry about it at all. A very convenient progam once you get it configured :)

I hope KH continues to support ACE using YOMA tools. 'Cause thats what I've been using. and it's also simple to use :)

Agreed, and you can even take it one step further:

Schedule it to run at a set time, for example at each login, so you don't need to have to worry about it at all. A very convenient progam once you get it configured :)

More time for rollin'. ;)