Sign in to follow this  
mrcash2009

Should Arrowhead - Introduce Whisper Voices?

Do you want to see BIS put time in for whispered voice acting in the new expansion?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see BIS put time in for whispered voice acting in the new expansion?

• Yes, I think BIS should take time out on this feature.
    • No, its not worth the extra time to do I can live without it.

Hi guys,

I know it might be touched on here someplace, and I had a search but could not see anything (shoot me if I missed something blatantly obvious and lock this thread otherwise or merge).

Here's the main question:

Who would like to see BIS go an extra mile with Arrowhead and use the opportunity to enhance engine (which they are doing via the expansion), and get the voice actors back in on one final temp job and get them cracking out whispered voice commands & responses ... so Arma finally has stealth chatter?

I don't know how much BIS will go into arma3 if at all, but one final polish in the audio department to nail a missing and very essential realism part would add the finishing touches just nicely.

The bank of whispered audio just needs a pbo of them all (a large config) and some engine update switch that uses these audio sets when set to "stealth" mode or even a new option in the command menu "silent" .. or something relevant.

I understand time constraints, I understand budgets, but Im coming from the angle that Arrowhead "may be" the final icing on the arma series cake and this is the addition that would finish it off perfectly.

Seeing as they are spending time to balance AI so you can use stealth more, surely on gods green earth that would justify realistic spoken comms to fit that scenario, which happens more often that people might think even in a lead up to a battle or ambush.

+1's please.

Edited by mrcash2009

Well it would be great if sound and chatter could be reduced according to behaviour eg on careless they talk, yell and chatter lot but on stealth its all reduced to minimum with clear + precise whispering reports/feedback. Think that BIS can find a solution for Arma2 and Operaton Arrowhead.

Yes, I think they should take time to TOTALLY redo the voices. The voice acting is the most ridiculous part of arma 2. I can deal with the bugs and quirks and such, but the voices are just aggravating.

If I'm showing off the game to a friend, it looks really cool with all the action and the realistic models etc, but as soon as an AI team mate goes "enemy man WAAAY to our front-close" they burst out laughing. oh and the guy that keeps on moaning about his leg... :rolleyes:

I really really hope that BIS does something about the voices because they take away from the atmosphere of the entire game to the extent that some scenarios are ruined. take a situation where youve taken fire and should be slowly advancing through a forest, when all of sudden #3, a private, decides it would be cool to spam over the radio "go, im covering. cover me. GOOO! moving! go I'll cover" about 10 times.

If you watch videos of actual combat, sometimes the voices on the radio, or the shouting are the most intense parts: The reassuring voice from HQ of "Shot over" after youve requested arty and that sort of thing (calling out locations, saying grid references). Honestly BIS needs to address this.

sorry for the rant, but I seriously hope that the voices get a do over, including "whisper voices". to me, sound is incredibly important, and as amazing as the rest of the game is the voices just take a lot away. :mad:

All, go to THAT suggestion topic, at SIX o' clock!11111!!!111!!111!!11111one

Yes it would be nice but with all the money they would spend doing that I would rather have BIS keep it for themselves or improve something not as radical.

It would be nice though for my stealth missions.

Way too expensive.

Well I kind of think the same to a point, but as this is a request section it would be "nice if they could" :)

I do honestly not know why they didn't, they had it half done in Arma1 when the whisper mod came out to use it, but it was either or ... no choice on/off completely.

I wouldn't suggest re-making all audio as noted here, just whispered versions of existing responses.

Edited by mrcash2009

I think they should focus on just getting the normal voices polished rather than working on whispered voices as well.

Get it right before expanding...

And yes... they are terrible. OFP1 had better voices, they should have just kept them...

I play multiplayer only, i need all AI Radio commands to disapear including the radio messages. Ingame VON is bad enough let alone with AI voices cutting in.

I will be the first person to post on the modders thread with a dancing banana:yay:

Its not really a very important thingy to me tbh. But to make it, it would need 3 different modes right?

-Out of combat: normal talk.

-Spotting the enemy: whisper.

-In combat: scream/loud voices.

Would be a nice touch ofcourse, but getting more technical features implemented better and stuff is more important to me. The tech in ARMA2 is very low-tech like javelin, tanks, laser designator etc etc. To get them better simulated would rank above this one personally. But if they get voice actors for it and want to do it - then yihaa. :)

OFP DR has this doesn't it? BIS are you really gonna let CM get one over on you. Come on they screwed you over so screw em back and even put in a new battle cry "CM Sucks Donkey Balls!!"

OK I went for the reverse phycological angle - sue me :p

I agree with AnimalMother92.

The voices/dialogs are kinda ridiculous.

They make me think about some low budget action movie. The kind of bad movie you watch when surfing through TV channels when you have nothing better to do than waste time on the couch.

But not something important at all: I mainly play MP. Voice actors can be expensive so I'd rather see the budget put into something more important.

I love it when I ask my squad to regroup and I hear "Fall Back"...:mad:

The voices are so annoying there's a small mod out there that silences at least some of them making the game tolerable.

Would be nice if there were some consistency to the voice commands as well. A "Regroup" should never shout out "Fall Back". All we need is ONE , damn it , just ONE well done command for each one available.

If I were one of the voice actors for this game I'd be downright embarrassed to admit it.

Hopefully they WILL fix the voices as well as the gawd awful muzzle flashes.

Hmmmm, interesting idea, but I would prefer to polish the voice overs as they did with the original Operation Flashpoint. This is one of the weaknesses to ARMA I & II. I've gotten used to the voice stuff as it is now and overlook it when I am playing. Good to great voice talent costs money, I would use the investment of money on the technical side of this game. It be nice to see a real improvement on the voice acting in general.

I don't mind the terrible voice acting, because I'm used to it I guess...

Whispered voices would be cool, but as people have said, before expanding the voice system it'd be best to polish/fix it first!

I've been trying to get my friends involved in Arma, and they're always interested until they hear:

ALL go, to THAT... tweee. AT. fiveoclock!

After that my friends just can't stop laughing... :/

I've been thinking, instead of re-recording all voices as whispers, wouldn't it be possible to develop an audio filter to convert the existing voices into something that resembles whispering? I'm not an audio expert in any sense, but I have some experience filtering sounds with GoldWave and Audacity. I'm pretty sure it should be possible to at least decently approximate whispering.

I mean, think about what differentiates whispering from normal speaking:

- lower volume

- narrower frequency band (no "bass" etc.)

- breathiness

The first two can be easily accomplished with existing filters. As for making a normal quiet voice sound "breathy", couldn't that be emulated by adding a kind of volume-dependent "background noise"?