Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

If only ArmA2 had SOME of the OFP DR visuals..

Not wanting to criticize the BI developers as they have presented an awesome game that I thoroughly enjoy but , apart from some of the deeper , technical problems of the game (none of which I've come across) some complain about,MY biggest complaint,whine,whatever :rolleyes: concerns some of the immersion killing visual aspects of the game , some of which are even game killers IMO. (ie hate/wont play night missions because of the flash bulb muzzle effect)

If you want an idea of what it's like to approach an enemy compound and come under fire check out OFP DR. The sights and sounds of those tracers ripping over and around you and thumping into the ground does increase your heart rate.

Bullets chewing up the ground , a stone wall disappearing behind the dust created by your AI squad throwing suppression fire their way,these are only some of the stunning visual effects.

And it CAN be done in ArmA2. Someone already posted a small mod that increases the bullet impacts so they no longer look like Air Soft impacts.

TBH , DR isn't a fraction of ArmA2 for realism and wont replace ArmA2 , but damn..I wish it has at least SOME of the visuals.

There are some things that I prefer in OFP|DR like ragdoll, lighting (NOT night look). But huge bullet impacts is not one of them I'm afraid. The effects are very "Hollywood" and way over the top. Like "WarFX", I'm sure there will be an addon that can tweak the effects the way you want.

As far as the "flash bulb" muzzle effect everyone agrees that there needs to be some variation but the night effect is actually very good. I have a night scope and although I don't shoot with it I can say that a muzzle flash would completely white out the view or produce a big blob if gain/sensitivity set low.

Edited by EDcase

As far as the "flash bulb" muzzle effect everyone agrees that there needs to be some variation but the night effect is actually very good. I have a night scope and although I don't shoot with it I can say that a muzzle flash would completely white out the view or produce a big blob if gain/sensitivity set low.

DOH!! I tried shooting an AK at night without the NV and guess what...you're right. No more blinding flash bulb (though i couldn't see anything to shoot at in the dark either..:p). It's more of a soft yellow/orange blob now. Assuming the AK modeled in ArmA2 is without a flash suppressor though.

Still needs improvement though.

And as far as the impacts go , tracers and impacts are how you zero in at long ranges as well as being an indicator that someone is actually shooting at YOU. :p

dust puffs in arma2 engine lags more. that's why it is used sparingly. ofp dr can afford some better visuals because overall it looks like crap.

concerns some of the immersion killing visual aspects of the game , some of which are even game killers IMO.

Like DR's vehicle entry animations, blood sprays viable from over 500m, sharp jagged unrealistic helicopter movement, gay ass land vehicle physics and not to mention DR's overall graphics as rather dated and all cm's spin aside there is nothing new in cm's crappy product... its a complete fail.

The worst thing cm did was to call it 'Operation Flashpoint' because now cm have killed a great franchise name and it will be hard to revive it for a sequel.

WarFX and JTD Smoke & Fire (and birds!!) is here and makes tons more impact on immersion. Soundmods will come out that gives more immersion. This is ARMA and the addons will keep coming. We as players have the power to pick and choose what we want to create our own experience when playing. ARMA2 is still young addon wise and im 200% positive that addons will come that make the effects even more amazing (sound & visual).

Just give the great community some time and im sure you will get happy. :)

Those bullet effects from OFP: DR are terrible. Number one, the only reason why there are "so many bullets flying past you" is because of that POS invisible shield they have on there.

Let's not turn this into yet another discussion about how much DR sucks, but try and concentrate on the aspects pointed out by the OP. Personally, I would love to see the muzzle flashes in Arma2 improved. As the OP pointed out, shooting with an AK at night is just horrible.

dust puffs in arma2 engine lags more. that's why it is used sparingly. ofp dr can afford some better visuals because overall it looks like crap.

Ι wouldn't go as far as to call it crap. But yeah, DR visuals are pretty basic when it comes to variety so it makes sense that they use all the remaining processing power to impress you with... you know.. tricks...

That is why CodMW2 looks so fucking great too. Cause there is nothing else going on apart from graphics.

I 'tink the real question we need to be asking ourselves is "if only ArmA2 had SOME of the CRYSIS visuals" ... like ... oh say ... shadows on flashlights and headlights ... ?

Edited by LJF

I 'tink the real question we need to be asking ourselves is "if only ArmA2 had SOME of the CRYSIS visuals" ... like ... oh say ... shadows on flashlights and headlights ... ?

and special effects and the physics and the state of the art animations and skeleton systems blah blah blah.

On a realistic note, I do believe BIS could easily implement into OA multi staged effects like in DR. The Muzzles and smoke effects would look alot better.

I'm NOT talking about scenery , animations etc. I said "SOME" of the visuals.

Right now ArmA2 bullet impacts resemble Air Soft/BB's more so than a high velocity projectile.

There is no feeling of immersion when you come under fire as there is little indication you are. No dust , debris flying from impacts. Just little Air Soft puffs. DR gives you an immersive under fire feeling along with the whizzes , cracks etc.

In ArmA2 all we get is a few cracks once in a while.

There is a FX mod I'm using that increases the impacts and makes them far more realistic but why in the hell was something as simple as this left up to a modder? I wont play without this mod being active now.

the question I ask is: when you are under fire un real life, is there really lot of dust and debris flyng around?

if yes then we need it, if no then I don't want it

DR gives you an immersive under fire feeling along with the whizzes , cracks etc.

The only reason you feel that immersive under fire feeling is that you're being shot at for too bleeding long.

However I'd like to see muzzle flash variation. Or atleast a smaller flash. I edited mine to a smaller scale, but there seems to be an alpha channel thingy around the whitish core. So it has a transparent orange flower expanding from it. Doesn't look too shabby, though.

Are you joking? Dr has its good sides, but visuals is definitely not one of them.