Sign in to follow this  
WYZe1

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta

lol, nice vidya richie.

Am I right in thinking getting to rank 12 takes 100 million xp in order to limit peoples progress in the beta? Or are the ranks as equally messed up as they were in BF2?

Am I right in thinking getting to rank 12 takes 100 million xp in order to limit peoples progress in the beta?

Makes sense. :)

Now take away those 1s and 0s at the start of the XP and I think you get the real answer.

Stats will be reset in the retail version (or so I've read). I like this. :)

Watched one video of the beta in action, preordered about 5 minutes later. I'm not usually into the fast-paced FPS market (cod etc.) but this was just too spectacular to pass up.

lol, nice vidya richie.

Am I right in thinking getting to rank 12 takes 100 million xp in order to limit peoples progress in the beta? Or are the ranks as equally messed up as they were in BF2?

It's done on purpose to limit use of the unlocks before release. How long does it take to get to rank 12 anyway? I've played 10-20 rounds so far and I'm still at 2. Personally, I liked the BF2 ranking system; sure it was a little hardcore, but it gave you something to work towards in the long run, the options for progression are rare in FPS.

I must be going crazy. I swear I looked at Bad company 2 LE and DoW : Chaos Rising on Steam last week and BC2 was US$49.99 and Chaos Rising was US$29.99. I thought they were good prices so was going to pre-order but decided to wait. Went to pre-order them today and now BC2 is $69.99 and Chaos Rising is US$39.99.

Am I going crazy or are the prices going up?

I ordered both of those two days ago and they were 29.99 and 49.99 as you said, plus Saints Row 2 for free :), missed it by a few hours?

Because I am just so l33t, thet even cod kids can't touch me.

YOUTUBE

Just joking, I suck :D But this game is really great fun!

You missed a beat :)

But - nice vid anyhow, and gets the point across :D

Edited by DMarkwick

I think this is the best game of 2010, enjoyed every single minute of single player. Its not realistic as BF2, and there are horrible bugs such as pistols without bullet drop... But who cares, its game made to have fun.

I ordered both of those two days ago and they were 29.99 and 49.99 as you said, plus Saints Row 2 for free :), missed it by a few hours?

Oh well. I'm not going to buy it then unless it go's down in price

EDIT : Change that, against my better judgement I ordered it from Cdwow. They've always supplied a good product, but they're customer service leaves something to be desired. I remember I originally got the German Arma 2 then ordered the English one off them. 1 month after release they sent me a message saying "We should have it in stock in 2 months", so I cancelled that one. Ordered a few other things off them and usually they'll send me a "it's been posted" mail, then 2 weeks later I'll get a "we're currently out of stock" then 2 more weeks to 2 months later I'll get a "your item has been mailed" then 3 weeks later I'll get the item. Pretty crap but that's the price of saving a few bucks.

Edited by Bulldogs

When my team loses the T-90 again - I just Ragequitting.

Evil CoD slackers ...

Makes sense. :)

Now take away those 1s and 0s at the start of the XP and I think you get the real answer.

I dunno, for the beta I think its supposed to be like that, hopefully you're right when it comes to the full version. 100 mil xp to get to rank 12 (and the associated weapon/kit upgrades at that stage) will suuuuck

Stats will be reset in the retail version (or so I've read). I like this. :)

In a way, I hope so. In another way I really hope not. I hate losing progress :P

How long does it take to get to rank 12 anyway? I've played 10-20 rounds so far and I'm still at 2.

I'm not the best player there is, usually in the top 5 or 10 on the server, and according to steam its taken me a shade over 15 hours to get to 11. Although there was quite a few hours at the start of that just goofing around exploding the terrain. So probably about 10 to do the actual serius biznis of ranking.

In a way, I hope so. In another way I really hope not. I hate losing progress :P

Well I like it because everyone will start with the same stats (0) on the day of release, no-one will get a headstart and new items unlocked straight away which they already have the XP for. I also like it ebcause with some experience I have gained from playing the beta that my new stats should look better than my current ones. :P lol

Only 5 hours left to play from now (till 15:00GMT), then the beta closes until release. :cry2:

Might just go play some BF2 in the meantime actually.

Well I like it because everyone will start with the same stats (0) on the day of release, no-one will get a headstart and new items unlocked straight away

Except the people who got the limited edition (i.e. all steam users), who get the unlocks out the box.

I also like it ebcause with some experience I have gained from playing the beta that my new stats should look better than my current ones.

True, very true :D

A few things to take note:

The rank 12 stats are purely to put a limit cap on the demo. In full retail you will continue to advance just as before.

BC1 has the same system too, you could get the limited edition or regular edition, both are exactly the same, except limited grants you level 12 unlocks at level 1 etc. To be honest, the ingame difference is not much.

And one more thing, pistols are very funny! Fire one in the air and see what I mean. They have FULL tracer rounds every shot, no bullet drop, and their damage per round is twice that of an Assault rifle.

lol...

no bullet drop, and their damage per round is twice that of an Assault rifle.

lol...

that explains a lot too :D

Realism aside, I think too many arcade game rate pistols too low. Many games make the pistol so it's a fast switch weapon, as it should be, but what's the point of fast switching to it if you can't do any damage with it. As long as the pistol doesn't have a very high fire rate, then it's good to have higher damage per bullet than an assault rifle... well, maybe not an assault rifle, maybe a high fire rate SMG like the P90.

Realism aside, I think too many arcade game rate pistols too low. Many games make the pistol so it's a fast switch weapon, as it should be, but what's the point of fast switching to it if you can't do any damage with it. As long as the pistol doesn't have a very high fire rate, then it's good to have higher damage per bullet than an assault rifle... well, maybe not an assault rifle, maybe a high fire rate SMG like the P90.

I think even ARMA2 falls into that category.

I think the pistol should have the exact same damage as an SMG, not more, not less.

Because in real life, an SMG is just a machine pistol pretty much. The MP5 fires the exact same 9mm bullets as your average sidearm. Not perfectly realistic, but for a game like battlefield, would be fine.

I think the pistol should have the exact same damage as an SMG, not more, not less.

Because in real life, an SMG is just a machine pistol pretty much. The MP5 fires the exact same 9mm bullets as your average sidearm. Not perfectly realistic, but for a game like battlefield, would be fine.

What Bulldogs said - So many games are guilty of turning the pistol into a glorified spud gun.

I must admit, the .45 in BC2 actually kills quickly.

What Bulldogs said - So many games are guilty of turning the pistol into a glorified spud gun.

I must admit, the .45 in BC2 actually kills quickly.

I agree, I love the fact that pistols do damage, but I think this is why it feels wrong:

EVERY other weapon has far too little damage compared to real life. It's meant to be that way, of course.

But the Pistol, rather than having way too little damage, is just about right. So it feels totally overpowered for no reason.

That's my opinion anyway.

:)

I agree, I love the fact that pistols do damage, but I think this is why it feels wrong:

EVERY other weapon has far too little damage compared to real life. It's meant to be that way, of course.

But the Pistol, rather than having way too little damage, is just about right. So it feels totally overpowered for no reason.

That's my opinion anyway.

:)

Yah, it's always the same with BF games as far as the rifles, GLs etc go. I've landed grenades on top of people only to watch them run away (or shoot back and kill me).

I've played on several supposedly "hardcore" servers and the damage did seem to be better although the gun handling just doesn't feel "right" when it comes to the rifles.

I know it's just a fluff FPS but I would really a appreciate the ability to "select fire" as well. I hate being forced to use "auto". Then again, this just speaks to the way the devs designed the game. Empty a mag in the general direction of your enemy and pray they go down :(

Yah, it's always the same with BF games as far as the rifles, GLs etc go. I've landed grenades on top of people only to watch them run away (or shoot back and kill me).

I've played on several supposedly "hardcore" servers and the damage did seem to be better although the gun handling just doesn't feel "right" when it comes to the rifles.

I know it's just a fluff FPS but I would really a appreciate the ability to "select fire" as well. I hate being forced to use "auto". Then again, this just speaks to the way the devs designed the game. Empty a mag in the general direction of your enemy and pray they go down :(

Yeah, so true. And not realeasing dev tools? Come on!

One of the things they did do right, which so many other games completely screw up, is the LMG handling. In BC2 it actually has a very low recoil rate, making it a lethal supressor and easily able to mow down a 4 man squad. But when you move, it is very hard to control, so the only way to be efficient is to stop, but stop = vulnerable.

Probably one of the best balances I have ever seen in an fps!

In real life SAW's are absolutely lethal, they have uber low recoil and will happily spray a whole squad down. Load up the SAW on call of duty, and it will recoil like some kind of un-mounted 50.cal machine gun...

Edited by Guest

Yeah, so true. And not realeasing dev tools? Come on!

One of the things they did do right, which so many other games completely screw up, is the LMG handling. In BC2 it actually has a very low recoil rate, making it a lethal supressor and easily able to mow down a 4 man squad. But when you move, it is very hard to control, so the only way to be efficient is to stop, but stop = vulnerable.

Probably one of the best balances I have ever seen in an fps!

In real life SAW's are absolutely lethal, they have uber low recoil and will happily spray a whole squad down. Load up the SAW on call of duty, and it will recoil like some kind of un-mounted 50.cal machine gun...

Initially, I didn't really care for BC2 but especially after playing on hardcore servers and in a decent squad, I started to like it.

Sure, it has it's shortcomings but it is good fun and rewarding when you employ some decent squad tactics.

Unlike AvP or Bioshock 2, I already got my $49.99s worth out of playing Port Valdez and now we are going to get the full game in a few days which I am sure I will get at least a month of enjoyment from.

They have hinted that dev tools might be available at some point after launch which is also promising (although not written in stone).

Edited by BangTail

Initially, I didn't really care for BC2 but especially after playing on hardcore servers and in a decent squad, I started to like it.

Sure, it has it's shortcomings but it is good fun and rewarding when you employ some decent squad tactics.

Unlike AvP or Bioshock 2, I already got my $49.99s worth out of it playing Port Valdez and now we are going to get the full game in a few days which I am sure I will get at least a month of enjoyment from.

They have hinted that dev tools might be available at some point after launch which is also promising (although not written in stone).

Dev tools would be amazing. Without a doubt, we would see some absolutely amazing realism mods come out. Sort of like project reality. As far as I am concerned, Arma 2 will never be passed in terms of realism, but a good cross between arcade and realism is always great for a rainy day when Arma 2 feels a bit too heavy!

Dev tools would be amazing. Without a doubt, we would see some absolutely amazing realism mods come out. Sort of like project reality. As far as I am concerned, Arma 2 will never be passed in terms of realism, but a good cross between arcade and realism is always great for a rainy day when Arma 2 feels a bit too heavy!

I feel the same because most of the time when I play A2 with friends, it takes several hours to play one mission and not everyone has time for that.

BC2 is great to just log in and hack around for a while.

I can still remember when the Australian army started using SAW249. There was a big debate at the time because it was believed that an MGs only purpose was to suppress, so spending money on an accurate/low recoil MG seemed a waste for them.

I like when twitch shooters actually balance their weaps properly. So many times it seems like devs want to balance for realism then at the last moment say "but you should be able to bunny hop", either that or they take the route of "the assault rifles are too powerful, make them highly innacurate beyond 10m"