Sign in to follow this  
WYZe1

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta

I've even gotten a "Destruction2.0" kill, lol.

Happend to me.. i was inside a house and it fell over me.. ouch :eek:

lol this is even more ridiculous than getting knifed :p

edit: So i tried one of the 'Hardcore' servers. Been killed 16 times in 10 minutes by snipers or emplaced heavy guns and one or the other xm8 guy. My own kills - none. The moment i simply had to quit was when i hit a guy 3 times (hit indicator) with my SAW from up close and he just went on and then killed me with a pistol :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr Burns

lol this is even more ridiculous than getting knifed :p

edit: So i tried one of the 'Hardcore' servers. Been killed 16 times in 10 minutes by snipers or emplaced heavy guns and one or the other xm8 guy. My own kills - none. The moment i simply had to quit was when i hit a guy 3 times (hit indicator) with my SAW from up close and he just went on and then killed me with a pistol :rolleyes:

Yup^, I don't think "hardcore" ie more damage per ammo, is the solution.

Having low damage in a somewhat twitch shooter, I've not really a problem with that.

It's the recoil here that is itching me. Though, as outlined in previous pages, aparently it's dependant on weapons, and I'm playing essentially medic, who is MG-based, ie needs to shoot crouched/stopped.

But a less large recoil, with same damage, would be way better for me.

I've never really got into BF series, tbh, far too many things that were hurting my feelings and wishes.

I must admit : BC2 (perhaps BC1, but never played this one) corrected many of the flaws

* Gameplay : Allelluia, no more of this unorganized mess called "Assault" forced down your throat. This "Rush" thing, I like way more. Staged A&D, with limited tickets on attack? Very good idea! Now we have a war front, map maker can shape the battlefield better, well, it corrected the original issue

* teamplay : I initially lonewolfed my way into the game, like you usually do with lonewolf games like CoD serie. Found not much new in BC2 ("yay, another BF, though Rush is a bit better") and was about to drop the thing like I did with BF2 & 2142. Then I discovered the "respawn on squad". Then the fact that doing things with teammates instead of random was giving more XP (actually got 5K XP in one round by simply staying alive near objectives and having teammembers spawning on me). So I naturally began to stick with squadmates. And quickly observed how others naturally were doing the same. Teamplay elements here were working, on a public server, without even much chat/voice comm going to explain things. That made me revise my initial statement about the game. Big time. Teamplay wise, it's miles ahead of Modern loneWolf 2

* Sound, ambiance : top notch.

* Desctruction, physics : Destruction system is perfect. Physics are a-ok

Still some points itching me :

* meter-wide recoils :D : It's not a realistic game. Most people are shooting on the move, are jumping out of fire, etc... It's a FPS. Having huge recoil that make your aim more random than controlled is ultra annoying. Taking ages to kill people? Why not, no problem with that. Taking twice ages because on top of it, you don't hit where you aim, frustrating

* post process : far too much bloom. I've configured effects to minimum to avoid them. If there's another way to get rid of bloom, I'd like to know it :) . Too much smoke effects to. Bloody headbob. Well, plenty of effects I dislike (reminds me a lot of ArmA in this respect, too much holywood-cool effects that are more a pain than add to the atmosphere). Why add something which is an hindrance?

Conclusion : 1st approach was not really good, I didn't like.

But when you get a bit deeper into it, it reveals interesting aspects. Very different, for me, from previous BFs which were lacking this kind of polished details and gameplay aspects

Yup^, I don't think "hardcore" ie more damage per ammo, is the solution.

Having low damage in a somewhat twitch shooter, I've not really a problem with that.

It's the recoil here that is itching me. Though, as outlined in previous pages, aparently it's dependant on weapons, and I'm playing essentially medic, who is MG-based, ie needs to shoot crouched/stopped.

But a less large recoil, with same damage, would be way better for me.

I've never really got into BF series, tbh, far too many things that were hurting my feelings and wishes.

I must admit : BC2 (perhaps BC1, but never played this one) corrected many of the flaws

* Gameplay : Allelluia, no more of this unorganized mess called "Assault" forced down your throat. This "Rush" thing, I like way more. Staged A&D, with limited tickets on attack? Very good idea! Now we have a war front, map maker can shape the battlefield better, well, it corrected the original issue

* teamplay : I initially lonewolfed my way into the game, like you usually do with lonewolf games like CoD serie. Found not much new in BC2 ("yay, another BF, though Rush is a bit better") and was about to drop the thing like I did with BF2 & 2142. Then I discovered the "respawn on squad". Then the fact that doing things with teammates instead of random was giving more XP (actually got 5K XP in one round by simply staying alive near objectives and having teammembers spawning on me). So I naturally began to stick with squadmates. And quickly observed how others naturally were doing the same. Teamplay elements here were working, on a public server, without even much chat/voice comm going to explain things. That made me revise my initial statement about the game. Big time. Teamplay wise, it's miles ahead of Modern loneWolf 2

* Sound, ambiance : top notch.

* Desctruction, physics : Destruction system is perfect. Physics are a-ok

Still some points itching me :

* meter-wide recoils :D : It's not a realistic game. Most people are shooting on the move, are jumping out of fire, etc... It's a FPS. Having huge recoil that make your aim more random than controlled is ultra annoying. Taking ages to kill people? Why not, no problem with that. Taking twice ages because on top of it, you don't hit where you aim, frustrating

* post process : far too much bloom. I've configured effects to minimum to avoid them. If there's another way to get rid of bloom, I'd like to know it :) . Too much smoke effects to. Bloody headbob. Well, plenty of effects I dislike (reminds me a lot of ArmA in this respect, too much holywood-cool effects that are more a pain than add to the atmosphere). Why add something which is an hindrance?

Conclusion : 1st approach was not really good, I didn't like.

But when you get a bit deeper into it, it reveals interesting aspects. Very different, for me, from previous BFs which were lacking this kind of polished details and gameplay aspects

Lets face it, in true DICE fashion, the HC mode is about as silly as it gets.

First of all, it removes aiming devices from vehicles - like the grenade reticule from BMDA. Why would a "hardcore mode" turn modern vehicles into what amounts to WW1 vehicles?

Next, the gun mechanics/ballistics etc are awful. Why have they removed select fire FFS. I'll tell you why, there is no point in having it when you have to empty half a mag into someone. I hit someone 3 fecking times with a shotgun this morning and they proceeded to knife me. It quite simply isn't lag, this disappointing "feeling" has been around since vBF1, they have never had it right.

The destruction system IS excellent as is the audio (albeit totally OT, but still very good). There is a lot to like here and I understand why they have to make the game "casual friendly" but at least make the HC mode "Hardcore" instead of nonsensical as it is now.

I'll wager the cheating has already started because I constantly find myself being killed by the same guy who also happens to be miles ahead of anyone else scorewise and tends to hit me when I am in a building while he is using the M24 from 500 yards away. If it's already started, it will get MUCH worse when the game releases.

They NEVER get it right which is why not allowing people to mod is a crime against the PC gaming community where this franchise is concerned.

Edited by BangTail

I dont find the recoil being the issue with LMGs (you are ironsighted right?), its either the low damage or the low accuracy. I'd prefer damage to accuracy (love to spray). Or truly good accuracy, BF2142 style. Its sad when DICE learn nothing. The machinegun system for BF2142 (more accurate the more you fire) absolutely rocked and was the ultimate balancer for CQB machinegun dancers.

I dont find the recoil being the issue with LMGs (you are ironsighted right?), its either the low damage or the low accuracy. I'd prefer damage to accuracy (love to spray). Or truly good accuracy, BF2142 style. Its sad when DICE learn nothing. The machinegun system for BF2142 (more accurate the more you fire) absolutely rocked and was the ultimate balancer for CQB machinegun dancers.

Wrong word on my side, yes, I'm talking about accuracy, not recoils per se, that 's something the player can control / counter. Not the accuracy / spray.

I'm the opposite, I HATE spray&pray in a FPS (even if I'm not good enough to avoid using it, I don't like relying on it). Movement & aiming are part of FPS, for me.

For those that aren't aware, the current Hardcore mode servers. Are just server side config changes to remove the crosshair etc. We have not seen what the official hardcore mode will be like yet.

For those that aren't aware, the current Hardcore mode servers. Are just server side config changes to remove the crosshair etc. We have not seen what the official hardcore mode will be like yet.

That's mildly reassuring as the server side changes are not very well thought out. It does seem that people go down faster (slightly) but that may just be me and my wishful thinking ;)

its a fun game, alot more fun when people actually use tactics instead of just going one man army and getting all the armor support blown to hell or 16 snipers that get raped by armor and mounted mg's

no lie, 360 version me and my little brother stole the defenders apache, we then proceeded to take out everything that could pose a threat to us - all mounted weaponry, armor...anyways even with this apache rape going on the whole opposing force was trying to snipe, after they fell back again we had a stolen bradley, stolen blackhawk, uav, t90 and us in the apache to take the last two points...this entire other team was still sniping...wtf

Edited by Whiskey_Tango

no lie, 360 version me and my little brother stole the defenders apache, we then proceeded to take out everything that could pose a threat to us - all mounted weaponry, armor...anyways even with this apache rape going on the whole opposing force was trying to snipe, after they fell back again we had a stolen bradley, stolen blackhawk, uav, t90 and us in the apache to take the last two points...this entire other team was still sniping...wtf

Alas, the flaws of people going about their own buisness with no regards to the team.

I noticed the same thing last game. We where like 3 people trying to push to the objectives against the entire entire team. Where are the rest? Falling off sniper hill because its so damn crowded of course. Sometimes it feel like snipers are dedicated to making their team loose the game. But I suppose as long as they get their pointless kills they're happy. Its not like the enemy has unlimited lives and every failed attack due to zero support drain friendly lives.

Alas, the flaws of people going about their own buisness with no regards to the team.

I noticed the same thing last game. We where like 3 people trying to push to the objectives against the entire entire team. Where are the rest? Falling off sniper hill because its so damn crowded of course. Sometimes it feel like snipers are dedicated to making their team loose the game. But I suppose as long as they get their pointless kills they're happy. Its not like the enemy has unlimited lives and every failed attack due to zero support drain friendly lives.

Exactly and this is why vBF is always the truckload of fail that it is (for me at least).

Everyone is obsessed with their own score and no one really cares about the team experience.

I hate to keep referencing PRM but it wasn't until PRM came out that I actually enjoyed BF2. The forced grouping gets rid of the people who want to sit in buildings sniping the whole round.

If I devote any time to BC2, I will have to join a dedicated clan that is on a private server. There is no way I will play that game publically for the long haul. It's just a complete waste of time for the reasons many of you have stated :(

Edited by BangTail

In more cheerful BF news(though I know some people have problems with PR too).

0.9 of PR is about to be released, and thats where youll find me, not on this console beta thingy :D

http://www.realitymod.com/

0.9 of PR is about to be released, and thats where youll find me, not on this console beta thingy :D

It's not balanced .... for prone.

http://twitter.com/OfficialBFBC2/statuses/8499446582

I swear it's becoming "du jour" to leave essential features out these days.

Of course these dullards just have to cater to errrr ... these dullards :rolleyes:

PRM isn't perfect but it encourages teamplay and is just a way better experience in general than any vBF game to date.

Edited by BangTail

Exactly and this is why vBF is always the truckload of fail that it is (for me at least).

Everyone is obsessed with their own score and no one really cares about the team experience.

I hate to keep referencing PRM but it wasn't until PRM came out that I actually enjoyed BF2. The forced grouping gets rid of the people who want to sit in buildings sniping the whole round.

If I devote any time to BC2, I will have to join a dedicated clan that is on a private server. There is no way I will play that game publically for the long haul. It's just a complete waste of time for the reasons many of you have stated :(

thats the way it should be played....anyone with any sense will do the same on console as well...playing public with random idiots just isnt worth the stress...im not saying it will be a tactical game by any means but it has alot of potential for a good teamwork game

thats the way it should be played....anyone with any sense will do the same on console as well...playing public with random idiots just isnt worth the stress...im not saying it will be a tactical game by any means but it has alot of potential for a good teamwork game

Yes, that argument comes up alot... But it doesnt have much to do with the game. People say the same thing about Arma II.

Personally I dont mind. Yeah, most people are idiots but you can find good players amidst the chaos and have a blast. Those are the moments worth gaming for.

Exactly. The "I'm holier than thou" attitude will get us nowhere.

To each his own. BF is not realistic, I take it as it is, not trying to make it what it is not. There's A2 for this, amongst others. Bring on bunnyhopers, at least they provide a challenge and can make for fun fights

My first impression is:

I keep trying to go prone.. ;)

But overall it is what I expected it to be.

It plays like old BF, endless anonymous rushing. Great sounds.

* post process : far too much bloom. I've configured effects to minimum to avoid them. If there's another way to get rid of bloom, I'd like to know it :) .

C:\Users\Richey\Documents\BFBC2Beta\Settings.cfg

Bloom=false

Thanks a lot!

Though now, I've awefull performance, even with settings on low. I get much stutter and freezes mid battle, often when fired upon and inside smoke. And a screen freeze just when you get shot at, is very bad :P

C2D E6400 @ 2.1GHz

3G RAM

geForce 8800GT

Win XP

I don't know what goes wrong

How active is Project Reality?

Well its rather interesting that it has superior performance on 1080p...

However, its not quite a logical argument. Taken a look at monitors lately? 1080p at 22-24" is becoming pretty much standard for a PC monitor too. And that's not even mentioning the fact you may want to plug your computer into the 40"+ HD TV.

Personally I'd only find it good if PC games optimised for 1080p. Who the f**k want to game at 1024??? I wouldnt trust Steam surveys at all since apparently 50% of the user base seem to be playing CS on 8 year old computers.

How active is Project Reality?

Usually very active. It has quite a dedicated community.