Sign in to follow this  
Rexxenexx

Sometimes freezes with grey screen on exit [Build 60000-also prev. Builds] Repeatable

People who have this problem, what are you using?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. People who have this problem, what are you using?

• Windows 7 + Nvidia card with 191.07 drivers
    • Windows 7 + Nvidia card with pre 191.07 drivers
    • Other Windows OS + Nvidia card with 191.07 drivers
    • Other Windows OS + Nvidia card with pre 191.07 drivers
    • I am not using an Nvidia based videocard

If you start a game (I do localhost LAN MP) then Exit you get a grey screen, no mouse, alt+tab doesn't do anything, not much hard drive action. The only thing you can do is Ctrl+Alt+Del then Task Manager and End Task. The mouse is only visible in the Task Managers window. Outside it's invisible (still captured). This happened in the two previous builds I believe.

CompSpecs:

Win7-64bit

4GB RAM

Nvidia GTX285

Same here, and almost always after having used the editor. Not that frequent if I just play a little online for a while. I've had it since 1.04. Together with the editor freezing up on alt-tab. Somehow I think they are connected :)

I've seen this at times when I back out of the game to quick. Might have something to do with loading the background "mission" + textures at the same time as trying to shutdown.

I've seen no problems after letting it load up the background stuff before I do the last "EXIT".

I've seen this at times when I back out of the game to quick. Might have something to do with loading the background "mission" + textures at the same time as trying to shutdown.

I've seen no problems after letting it load up the background stuff before I do the last "EXIT".

same here

Same here, but i think i know why. please test this:

When you exit, wait until the menu and background graphix have loaded, then end the game.

I have noticed, when quickly exiting to main menu, and then choosing End Game it produces this error.

However when exiting to main menu, waiting until all is loaded, then exiting to Desktop seems to work flawlessly...

Anybody else observe this?

Edited by markushaze
@=WFL= Sgt Bilko sorry, must have not read your post...

everyone here has Windows 7 64bit or anyone from You on different OS ?

If you start a game (I do localhost LAN MP) then Exit you get a grey screen, no mouse, alt+tab doesn't do anything, not much hard drive action. The only thing you can do is Ctrl+Alt+Del then Task Manager and End Task. The mouse is only visible in the Task Managers window. Outside it's invisible (still captured). This happened in the two previous builds I believe.

CompSpecs:

Win7-64bit

4GB RAM

Nvidia GTX285

it happened to me only once and never again! i'm thinking mod issue, maybe! try to run the game with no mods and test.

I got this grey screen at exiting a few betas ago... havn't tried last betas so I cannot comment on that. Win XP 32 SP3 here. Also AMD 9850, ATI 3870, 2GB ram.

EDIT: Actually, not even ctrl+alt+del worked for me, so so the nature of my bug might be different from yours...

Edited by someBoy

everyone here has Windows 7 64bit or anyone from You on different OS ?
Currently WinXP-32 (will go Win7-64 on next rig in about a month).

hmm ... no matter how hard and from what angle i try i can't replicate this

i see fullscreen turn 'grey' for 0.5-1s but game exits correctly

same goes for ending LAN game etc etc ...

either i'm missing some step or so ...

can someone write step by step repro into CIT ?

also does it happen with any island background demo or just chernarus or so ?

Well the only mod I have is mod=beta so..dunno. I'll try the waiting for the BG to load textures and report back, sounds like a good plan.

Just happened again with the Udes (Carrier Fly over) in the BG before exit. I waited. Next time I'll look at the HD lights to see when they go out/slow down then try.

UPDATE: It's not repeatable. Today its not doing it. Yesterday it was consistent. Tried a couple things. Maybe Fraps...Still testing...

UPDATE2: Ok I think it is fraps. The first go. Started Game, as soon as Exit button showed up (Utes Carrier Demo) I clicked Exit and got the Frozen grey screen. Still testing...

UPDATE3: Second try with fraps on, same steps as above, exited normally. Ugh. This is odd...Still testing...

UPDATE4: fraps off. froze. I'll post a youTube of the sequence of testing.

UPDATE5:Sry for so many updates. I have a youTube I'll post the link once it's done uploading. It took a while to reproduce so for sure it's not repeatable like yesterday. Cool thing is the Fraps was still running even on grey screen -also when I alt+tab to quit the exe in Task Manager- so you can get an idea of what happens. I recorded as soon as the splash started so you can see all steps.

youTube (still processing video when I posted):

_H0thjVo6NM

To sum up, freezes on exit: with fraps on or off doesn't matter| with Utes Carrier Demo/Chern landscape Demo | I don't think loading a mission has anything to do with it since in UPDATE2 I hit Exit as soon as ArmA2 loaded.

Edited by Rexxenexx

thansk for the video ... at least i know i done all steps to try reproduce correct :)

until the grey screen it's all same but mine in <1s ends game process and returns to video (tried both windowed and fullscreen) ...

if anyone else getting this and get stuck on exit as per video please post with details about your system (OS,chipset,cpu,gpu,drivers)

I have/had it. Not yet in build 60091, but in all builds since 1.04 patch. I don't play fullscreen though.

WinXP 32bit SP3, w/2GB matched memory.

Intel Core 2, 6600 @ 2.4GHz, not overclocked.

Onboard Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio (yay! :p)

NVidia GF 9800 GTX, latest 191.07 drivers.

Related to the fact that editor will hang on alt tab?

Haven't got to try much editing in the latest beta yet though.

Some bugs was never designed to be made easily reproducible.

It's like that formationDir AI failing. It NEVER happens when I try for it.

But it ALWAYS happen at some point when I'm not. Go figure...

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Hello Community

I have to say, it not regular at all.

sometimes it happens, sometimes it dos not.

Since the last betas since the latest 2 betas it didn't happen anymore here....

gruss

but the point is, why would you need to exit the game that fast anyway?

but the point is, why would you need to exit the game that fast anyway?

Its not to do with the speed at which it exits, not for me anyway. Its the fact that you have to ctrl, alt, del to end the Arma2 process. This can cause corruption of your profiles and Arma2.cfg. Its just not a good bug to have if it can be fixed easily.

However, while I do get this, it seems to be only if I run FRAPs and even then not every time. This is with the nonbeta version, not really tested it with the beta. (actually come to think of it, I only ever use fraps when I'm using the editor, so maybe it is an editor issue.)

Win vista 64

happens with various Nvidia gfx cards.

nvidia 191.07

780i motherboard

q9300

res 1680x1050 120hz

Edited by -=seany=-

you can start with your video driver. Uninstall and do driver clean ups, re-boot and re-install drivers. I had this once but i don't remember what i exactly did after it! maybe updated my ati driver after doing a complete driver cleaning! funny some people ctd and you can't exit to desktop!!

I've just had this for the first time after messing about in the Editor for an hour or two with the latest beta patch 60091 ;)

Exited as fast as I could from the Editor and got the Grey Screen of Death as above.

Specs similar to OP, including Win 7 x64 fwiw.

P

OK I've added a poll to the thread, please vote if you have this problem so the Dev's can attack it before the next patch is final!