Sign in to follow this  
tpw

Modern Warfare 2

I agree that the price is pretty damn high. It's not that high for me over here, however, due to many "economic" reasons, so it's not been an issue for me. Though I do agree it's far too high for the majority of customers.

Also - vilas: it's not just for kids. Kids aren't the only ones who play it. It's got a pretty damn mature theme to it. I'd actually say it has a more mature one than ArmA II's story does, but less realistic gore. Case & point - the "controversial" level, as well as many other undisclosed events in the game.

i guess you havent played the airport scene? Im quite suprised they even considered letting this scene in the game in the first place, there is no connection to the actull storie line and just made me feel uncomftable and i had to stop playing after that.

more mature one than ArmA II's story does

We had abused females, mass graves and ethnic cleansing at the very beginning of the Campaign... Arma was mature enough for me at least.

i guess you havent played the airport scene? Im quite suprised they even considered letting this scene in the game in the first place, there is no connection to the actull storie line and just made me feel uncomftable and i had to stop playing after that.

Uh, yeah there is.

You're playing as Pfc.Allen from the Rangers who's undercover in Task Force 141, infiltrating Makrov's group. They perpetrated the attack knowing that you were a traitor, and then killed you and left you behind so that you could be identified as American. Thus, Russia would blame America for the attack, and you can see what happens from there. Especially after Zakhaev was actually made a "hero of the New Russia", and it all took place in "Zakhaev International Airport".

Wow I just read the plot of the entire game on Wikipedia and it sounds quite stupid.

Entire Plot Below: SPOILERS

Modern Warfare 2 is set five years after the conclusion of Call of Duty 4. Despite the efforts of the Marines and the SAS, the Ultranationalists seize control of Russia and declare Zakhaev a hero and martyr. Meanwhile, Vladimir Makarov, one of Zakhaev's former lieutenants, begins a reign of terror against Europe by staging numerous terror attacks. The game begins in Afghanistan, where US Army Ranger Private Allen helps take an Afghan city from an army of militants. Impressed, General Shepherd recruits Allen as a CIA operative and places him in Makarov's organization as an undercover operative. However, Makarov is one step ahead. He kills Allen, exposes his identity as an American, and turns him into a scapegoat for a brutal terrorist attack on a Russian airport. Meanwhile, Soap and Roach infiltrate a Russian airbase to recover a lost ACS module.

Angered by what they believe is an American-supported terrorist attack, Russia stages a surprise invasion of the United States East Coast. Private Ramirez and the US Army Rangers are called upon to defend Washington D.C. from the Russian attack. Meanwhile, Task Force 141 works on taking down Makarov. After chasing down some of his contacts in Rio de Janeiro turn out to be dead ends, Soap decides to rescue one of Makarov's most hated enemies from a Russian prison and use him as bait to draw him out. With assistance from the US Navy and Marines, Task Force 141 manages to free the prisoner, who is revealed to be Price. Price agrees to help them track down Makarov, but knows they must do something extreme to end the war. He temporarily goes rogue, hijacks a Russian nuclear submarine, and launches an ICBM at Washington D.C. Fortunately, the warhead explodes in the upper atmosphere, sparing the city, but the resulting electromagnetic pulse cripples both the US and Russian forces in the city. Later, Ramirez and his squad discover that the Air Force will assume that D.C. is lost and carpet bomb the city. The only way to abort the operation is to set off green flares on the roof of the White House, which is under Russian control. Ramirez and his squad fight their way to the roof the building and manage to set off their flares in the nick of time, while green flares on the roofs of other D.C. landmarks signifies that the city remains firmly in American hands.

Even with the current conflict over, Makarov is still on the loose. Narrowing down his hiding place to two separate locations, Task Force 141 decides to split up. Roach and Ghost raid Makarov's safehouse and obtain much vital intelligence to put an end to him for good. However, General Shepherd betrays them and kills both Ghost and Roach. He intends to take advantage of the global crisis to turn himself into a global hero as well as write history how he sees fit. Price and Soap manage to escape Shepherd's ambush and they decide to take revenge on him in one final, bloody suicide mission. Soap manages to kill Shepherd, but is seriously wounded in the process. Nikolai then arrives to extract them. Price warns Nikolai that they will be international fugitives for what they've done, but Nikolia insists he knows a safe place to take them.

What action-orientated form of entertainment isn't almost always stupid? Lol. The plot may be a bit far fetched, but it makes for an extremely exhilarating campaign that will make you want to play through it more than once. Just like the first Modern Warfare did for me. It isn't that hard to understand, either, once you actually play through it.

I hope they changed the difficulty scales a bit. In COD4 it always seemed that you either had SUPER EASY or AIMBOT GALORE mode.

We had abused females, mass graves and ethnic cleansing at the very beginning of the Campaign... Arma was mature enough for me at least.

But it was the bad guys doing that.

Arma 2's campaign was a fantasy where the Russian minority were 'settlers' and Prizrak was the only member of NAPA committing war crimes.

It wasn't very mature at all when you get down to it.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Wow I just read the plot of the entire game on Wikipedia and it sounds quite stupid.

Entire Plot Below: SPOILERS

Modern Warfare 2 is set five years after the conclusion of Call of Duty 4. Despite the efforts of the Marines and the SAS, the Ultranationalists seize control of Russia and declare Zakhaev a hero and martyr. Meanwhile, Vladimir Makarov, one of Zakhaev's former lieutenants, begins a reign of terror against Europe by staging numerous terror attacks. The game begins in Afghanistan, where US Army Ranger Private Allen helps take an Afghan city from an army of militants. Impressed, General Shepherd recruits Allen as a CIA operative and places him in Makarov's organization as an undercover operative. However, Makarov is one step ahead. He kills Allen, exposes his identity as an American, and turns him into a scapegoat for a brutal terrorist attack on a Russian airport. Meanwhile, Soap and Roach infiltrate a Russian airbase to recover a lost ACS module.

Angered by what they believe is an American-supported terrorist attack, Russia stages a surprise invasion of the United States East Coast. Private Ramirez and the US Army Rangers are called upon to defend Washington D.C. from the Russian attack. Meanwhile, Task Force 141 works on taking down Makarov. After chasing down some of his contacts in Rio de Janeiro turn out to be dead ends, Soap decides to rescue one of Makarov's most hated enemies from a Russian prison and use him as bait to draw him out. With assistance from the US Navy and Marines, Task Force 141 manages to free the prisoner, who is revealed to be Price. Price agrees to help them track down Makarov, but knows they must do something extreme to end the war. He temporarily goes rogue, hijacks a Russian nuclear submarine, and launches an ICBM at Washington D.C. Fortunately, the warhead explodes in the upper atmosphere, sparing the city, but the resulting electromagnetic pulse cripples both the US and Russian forces in the city. Later, Ramirez and his squad discover that the Air Force will assume that D.C. is lost and carpet bomb the city. The only way to abort the operation is to set off green flares on the roof of the White House, which is under Russian control. Ramirez and his squad fight their way to the roof the building and manage to set off their flares in the nick of time, while green flares on the roofs of other D.C. landmarks signifies that the city remains firmly in American hands.

Even with the current conflict over, Makarov is still on the loose. Narrowing down his hiding place to two separate locations, Task Force 141 decides to split up. Roach and Ghost raid Makarov's safehouse and obtain much vital intelligence to put an end to him for good. However, General Shepherd betrays them and kills both Ghost and Roach. He intends to take advantage of the global crisis to turn himself into a global hero as well as write history how he sees fit. Price and Soap manage to escape Shepherd's ambush and they decide to take revenge on him in one final, bloody suicide mission. Soap manages to kill Shepherd, but is seriously wounded in the process. Nikolai then arrives to extract them. Price warns Nikolai that they will be international fugitives for what they've done, but Nikolia insists he knows a safe place to take them.

What... the. fuck.

Has anyone had any issues installing this game? For some reason installing it off the cd is unheard of now, steam wants me to download the entire game.

Any other PC users having this issue?

Maybe that's how they're responding to the factory defect issue? Where one of the discs is not working properly?

Pretty logical way of fixing it.

Wow, that does sound stupid.

Looks like they hired in Codemaster's story writing crew for that one...

Sounds like the SP is fun, and that's the only reason I'd get it. But it's not worth the price.

Maybe when it's cheap someday, although I'm still waiting for World at War to be cheap.

I don't get all the fuss over shooting civilians. I've had fun shooting them in all the GTA games. I can only laugh at people that are happy to play a game about shooting people then suddenly get all upset if they are civilians.

Anyway, you're apparently playing undercover and trying to infiltrate the terrorists at that stage. And you don't even have to shoot them.You can skip that level entirely, the game gives you a choice. So if you have a problem with it, nobody cares.

Edited by Maddmatt

I dont get the fuss about shooting civilians either. Yes it is distasteful but that is the sate of the whole industry I guess, I mean even ignoring the GTA series. Maybe it is just me but I found the whole COD4 storyline to be distasteful at best, offensive at worst ( at least for the first 2 and a half hours that I managed to play from the campaign before i stopped for gameplay reasons). But that did not "shock" me to protest about it or anything, like I said it is the state of the industry from C&C generals to FSW.

Some really interesting discussions here. plot issues aside, my take on the value for money thing is this:

- All retail PC games are overpriced in Australia, with most new titles in the A$80-$100 range. MW2 and Arma2 both cost me $100. Arma2 does offer unusually high value for money in whatever mode you care to play it.

- Most FPS single player campaigns are in the 6-10 hr range nowadays. Games running much longer than this tend to become repetitive (eg Far Cry 2). I'm shit at games, so in reality a 6 hr campaign takes me a hell of a lot longer :)

- Given that I'm looking at $10/hr of gameplay, then I'd prefer if the campaign was memorable in some way - innovative / intense / exhilarating / interesting plot / interesting twists / graphically envelope pushing / great design etc. The games I've enjoyed the most recently have definitely been memorable in some way (eg Mirror's Edge, Crysis Warhead, Dead Space, MW2, ). Others have cost me the same and I've found them pretty forgettable (eg Fear 2, OFP:DR)

I like to compare computer games to books (my other main hobby). The average new book costs me $35 and is finished in a few hours of solid reading. Good books I'll go back and reread, the same as good computer games. Arma 2 is like a whole bloody library.

MW2 was a very exhilarating and enjoyable few hours and I'll definitely revisit it.

Hi all

Bit expensive for a buggy DVD film with an advanced menus system I will wait 3 or 4 months until they fix the bugs and cut the price and it starts appearing in the bargain bins.

Kind Regards walker

Has anyone had any issues installing this game? For some reason installing it off the cd is unheard of now, steam wants me to download the entire game.

Any other PC users having this issue?

I had a problem where my dodgy wifi dropped out just as the install via steam was getting started. When I restored it and tried to install again, steam tried to download the whole thing. I had to uninstall to remove all local cached stuff, and then it installed again from the DVD no problems.

Im just going to keep this short because i CBF atm writing alot, just to sound negative, but the single player of MW2 is absolute garbage. Spamfest, corridor shooter. Ive played all the CODs and loved them, but this is just going to far. Dragon Rising requires more tactics than this. Very disappointing game, its all polish and no substance.

4/10

I just read the kill/death streak list for MW2.

My god what where they thinking???????

That's turning into a damn pokemon game! What are they trying to do? I know it's about having fun and all that but come on... a tactical nuke? A tactical nuke that can be stopped with some sort of alien emp technology?

A deathstreak called "copycat" where you magically take the powers and loadout of the player that killed you?

This is some Harry Potter shit right there! FOR SHAME!!! Man, if I wanted magical superpowers I'd play WOW or something.

No I wouldn't... But you know what I am saying.

The game is not doing to well with the user scores. A 1.3 on metacritic, 1.5 on IGN and one and a halve star on Amazon. I don't think Amazon will delete that now like they did prerelease. Even the xbox360 version has a 5.5 userscore on metacritic. That's quite a contrast compared to the glowing official reviews, but that is nothing new.

People got upset by the removal of dedicated servers, amongst other removals in the MP side of things.

Now, the same people have the game, but something is different.

People are viewing the game through shit-tinted spectacles.

By the removal of these features, people are trying to point out every other single flaw with the game, even criticizing what is a clear action-filled corridor shooter... Of being an action-filled corridor shooter! Some of you people make no sense what so ever.

To be honest, I'm loving MW2's MP, even with the restrictions imposed on it. In fact, I'm enjoying it more than COD4's. If a free-for-all map in COD4 was to have about 20 players, the game is nothing but a spawn-rape fest. Especially on Creek. With lower players, I'm actually finding it to be more intense. More fun.

But jesus, saying the SP is bad? The COD4 plot was quite ridiculous as well. But did people hate on it for that? No. In fact, people regarded it as one of the best SP portions of a game ever made. Even with it's short length. I did too.

So what, suddenly it being full of action, short but intense story and awesome multiplayer that has had some things removed from it makes it an utterly shit game? Even though it builds on the great features of COD4?

The ones disappointed with the game either 1) set out to hate it or 2) do not like the genre. It is a shining example of the FPS genre. An awesome game.

People got upset by the removal of dedicated servers, amongst other removals in the MP side of things.

Now, the same people have the game, but something is different.

People are viewing the game through shit-tinted spectacles.

By the removal of these features, people are trying to point out every other single flaw with the game, even criticizing what is a clear action-filled corridor shooter... Of being an action-filled corridor shooter! Some of you people make no sense what so ever.

To be honest, I'm loving MW2's MP, even with the restrictions imposed on it. In fact, I'm enjoying it more than COD4's. If a free-for-all map in COD4 was to have about 20 players, the game is nothing but a spawn-rape fest. Especially on Creek. With lower players, I'm actually finding it to be more intense. More fun.

But jesus, saying the SP is bad? The COD4 plot was quite ridiculous as well. But did people hate on it for that? No. In fact, people regarded it as one of the best SP portions of a game ever made. Even with it's short length. I did too.

So what, suddenly it being full of action, short but intense story and awesome multiplayer that has had some things removed from it makes it an utterly shit game? Even though it builds on the great features of COD4?

The ones disappointed with the game either 1) set out to hate it or 2) do not like the genre. It is a shining example of the FPS genre. An awesome game.

The SP is just action filled junk. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault shows how the singleplayer should be done in an FPS.

Its worth it. Get it. The SP is very well done, fun and indeed at times exhilarating a tpw said. MP is also very fun and dynamic with larger maps and new types of play. Meanwhile all looks gorgeous without having a super computer.

But I wonder why people who don't like CoD type games to begin with are posting in this thread? Its like saying: "Hey I don't drink or like wine, but my opinion on the subject should still somehow matter and a wine tasting cannot go on without me ruining everyone's day".

The SP is just action filled junk.

That's. What the game. Is about.

:confused:

But I wonder why people who don't like CoD type games to begin with are posting in this thread? Its like saying: "Hey I don't drink or like wine, but my opinion on the subject should still somehow matter and a wine tasting cannot go on without me ruining everyone's day".

Exactly what I'm wondering. It makes no sense to complain about something which delivers on what it promises...