Sign in to follow this  
silola

DAC V2.1 (WIP) discussion

After reading the whole thread: :yay:

Sound really nice! Also the tool for lazy guys like me:D (Not only for being lazy, also time saving, because of no more typing error's ;))

For "AI improvement addons" implementing, this one sounds interesting: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=88194

I'm waiting for DAC 2.1 :) (x-mas? :D)

Silola, nice to hear that DAC is coming to Arma2. I planned to use it for a few missions but found the files troublesome to use. Nothing wrong with the files, I'm just lazy and can't remember class names :).

To this end I started to create a front end to make them easier to use.

Unfortuantly real life intervened and I haven't finished it yet.

If the new files are similar to the old ones it probably wouldn't take much to implement it for V2.1

Here are links for some screens.

Screen 1

Screen 2

Screen 3

Screen 4

Screen 5

Screen 6

If you would like to have a similar thing done for V2 PM me and I'll give it a go.

Scott

This definitely looks user friendly. Can you release both DAC v2.0 and v2.1 if possible once done?

Hope we get this and DAC 2.1 before Christmas.:)

Hi :)

i0n0s, you are crazy? I had always hoped that nobody has this idea because it involves a lot of effort.

But hey, I'm crazy as u and so, yesterday I worked hard on such a function.

And yes, now with version v2.1 it's possible to create a new DAC zone on-the-fly :D

To clarify? If I kill one DAC-spawned M1A1 and that will be respawned from a DAC-base I can define the time before respawn to whatever I like. So if I have the respawn delay to 2 hours, what happens if I skiptime 3 hours? Will the tank be there?

What Im asking is if that delay is in RL time or in ingame-time. I cant remember how it was in DAC and just want to make sure its ingame time. So if I skiptime to next day all units are respawned from the bases.

FIXED, now you can skiptime and and everything behaves as it should,

for example respawn + deleting of units&vehicles

Quick unrelated question regarding DAC I've been wondering about for a while now:

If I recall correctly, DAC used to have a requirement that no two DAC zones could be located at the same position. Was that still a requirement as of 2.0? The thing is, it would be nice to stack DAC zones. Much easier than having to put them slightly side-by-side and keep track of all that. Anyhow, just curious.

FIXED, zones may now be placed in exactly the same position.

In addition, I will expand the existing method:

DAC zones then can include custom waypoints, after they were moved.

Condition is then that the waypoints are in the catchment area of the zone.

Any number of custom waypoints can be predefined somewhere on the Map.

Once they are detected by a zone, they are also involved.

DONE

minor things:

--------------

- reducing of mixed groups DONE

- correct respwawn of mixed groups DONE

- spawning vehicles with more than 1 gunner DONE

- Define units types, which allows suppressedFire / DAC_SP_Soldiers = ["RU_Soldier_MG","USMC_Soldier_MG"....]

- Define the timing for suppressedFire | (whole time, count interruptions, duration of interruptions) | _setSupTime = ["2 + ((skill _leader) * (3 * DAC_AI_Level))",2,5];

- Define the timing until the AI leaves its cover, for example, to retreat or advance (after a group has first enemy contact) | _setHidTime = ["(((10 * DAC_AI_Level) + ((_target distance _leader) / 5)) / ((count units _group) + 1))"];

Greeting

Silola

i0n0s, you are crazy? I had always hoped that nobody has this idea because it involves a lot of effort.

The question is rhetorical or? :cool:

But nice that it will be possible in 2.1. Oh wait: This could be bad since "someone" need to create a DAC-zone builder dialogue.

*/me tries to sneak off*

:D

Hi,

please note that the new function requires a certain condition and has one limitation:

1. DAC must have been initialized with at least one zone.

2. New zones can only be inserted one by one. You must therefore wait until a zone is fully integrated, before you add another zone.

Normally DAC can generate waypoints in up to 4 zones simultaneously.

But I think that this limitation is acceptable.

Greeting

Silola

Hi and sorry,

but I have spent several days in my bed because I had contracted a severe respiratory infection.

Therefore I could not respond the last days

But now ... it's me little better every day, and I get back my concentration.

Sorry to hear you were sick... that sounds like it must have been awful. :( Good to know you are up and at em again. :)

After you've told me the whole "marker" story ... you've convinced me :-)

My Suggestion: You make your marker functions ready for DAC V2.1

and describe the use of the functions, so that I can include that part in the readme.

So...You and your functions will get a permanent place in the DAC and the DAC readme :D

Awsome!

I'll look toward putting together a good description for the manual. Based on your rapid progress recently, can we infer you are somewhat close to release? (No pressure or anything. :p )

fyi - I will be out of town for the next couple of weeks and most of that time I won't have access to a computer... If release is imminent though, maybe we can simply use the descriptions from the headers within the functions for the manual? They do give a thorough and precise explanation of what the functions do. (But... not necessarily how to apply them to greatest effect.)

But hey, I'm crazy as u and so, yesterday I worked hard on such a function.

And yes, now with version v2.1 it's possible to create a new DAC zone on-the-fly

Wonderful addition!

Now my crazy ideas are spinning... For the ultimate clean end-to-end solution, how insane would we have to be for an equivalent Destroy-DAC-Zone on-the-fly? (Probably too crazy, but I have to ask. :D )

FIXED, zones may now be placed in exactly the same position.

That is welcome news indeed. It certainly will be nice stacking up zones without worrying about dire and mysterious implications!

Hi :)

Now my crazy ideas are spinning... For the ultimate clean end-to-end solution, how insane would we have to be for an equivalent Destroy-DAC-Zone on-the-fly? (Probably too crazy, but I have to ask.

Hey m8, the basic idea of DAC is to generate units, not to delete them :D

Maybe I have to build a new script-pack called DAD (Dynamic-AI-Deleter)...haha.

hint: If you deactivate a zone, this process has the same effect as deleting of a zone.

Let's see, maybe I still have time left for this *MadRussian* function ;)

Greeting

Silola

Hi,

I've built a new init hint. Nothing special, but it looks a little bit better than the old one :)

hint2.jpg

Greeting

Silola

Oh very nice Silola. Once DAC is released my renewed mission editing abilitys will switch on! :) i cant wait!!

So is this something for the advanced mission maker? I'm wondering what the advantages are over simply using the ambient combat module.

So is this something for the advanced mission maker? I'm wondering what the advantages are over simply using the ambient combat module.

There are many reasons that DAC is superior to the ambient combat module, but I guess the most efficient way to appreciate this is to simply use it and see :)

However, as a rough quick guide to some reasons:

The DAC solution is not player-centric, in the sense that the ambient combat module spawns enemies close to the player, specifically for player combat action. DAC has groups patrolling areas wherever the zone is specified, whether the player is there or not.

The DAC will reduce very distant patrolling groups down to one single representative unit to save resources. When such a reduced group encounters either another group or a player, they are built up again to full strength.

DAC groups can interact, so contact with one enemy group might mean that the group has radioed for help, and more DAC troops could be inbound.

DAC adds in tactics and extra AI functionality, so a DAC group that spots you will search the area looking for you, will deploy smoke shells on vehicle disembarkation, will drop parachuting units from radioed helicopters etc, will use artillery on spotted units etc.

LOTS of other functionality too :) including custom groups (made from any units you have, including 3rd party mods), custom behaviors, and custom or random patrol points or even a combination.

dmarkwick,if what above is just the half of the thruth this Silola could be the man who the president of the United Nations would send to the first contact with the aliens

DMarkWick,

thank you for your very good explanation. I myself have some problems with it,

to explain the rough features of the DAC (in English) :)

Greeting

Silola

dmarkwick,if what above is just the half of the thruth this Silola could be the man who the president of the United Nations would send to the first contact with the aliens

The post I made represents only a small amount of DAC functionality, I just tried to mention some of the more immediately obvious benefits :) even so, there is plenty of stuff I haven't mentioned.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

DMarkWick,

thank you for your very good explanation. I myself have some problems with it,

to explain the rough features of the DAC (in English) :)

Greeting

Silola

Unfortunately I had to make that post rather quickly, otherwise I could have been there all afternoon remembering all the nice points that DAC offers :)

For everyone DAC 2.0 did these things, but with DAC 2.1 looks like there is going to be a lot of new things added to this list

2.0 for Arma

DAC 2.0 Features:

# generate units and waypoints dynamically in AI-zones

# highly dynamic game experience, because of AI-zones being generated at every mission start

# dynamic decrease of unit number (infantry or vehicle groups)

# freely chosen size and number of zones (modify directly in in-game editor)

# every zone can be configured individually (modify directly in in-game editor)

# up to four different unit-categories can be generated per zone

# two zone types: unit-zones, waypoint-zones, can be combined

# freely chosen number of unit-zones can be linked with each other

# freely chosen number of waypoint-zones can be linked with unit-zones

# freely chosen number of unit-configurations can be defined

# freely chosen number of behaviour-configurations can be defined

# freely chosen number of waypoint-configurations can be defined

# movable zones (global troop movement)

# size of a zone can be changed at every time

# new behaviour-configuration can be loaded at every time

# new unit-configuration can be loaded at every time

# dynamic AI-respawn in camps generated dynamically (no respawn or camp limits)

# freely chosen number of camp-configurations can be defined (by a maximum of six camp-upgrades)

# camps can be linked to zones

# AI-respawn also possible without camp

# “Standby-mode†for zones, units are generated when needed

# zones can be activated, deactivated as often as you want to

# script, which can delete units (depending on time and/or distance)

# user defined waypoints can be included

# dynamic AI-addon is defined, possibility to choose between four difficulty levels

# running on dedicated servers

# dynamic weather script

# control markers can be activated

# freely chosen number of marker-configurations can be defined

# new marker-configuration can be loaded at every time

# radio messages and markers depending on chosen side can be activated

# units placed in in-game editor can use DAC routines as well

# AI conquers buildings

# AI detects empty vehicles

# AI uses empty static guns

# AI uses smoke grenades

# complete new routines for detecting the enemy

# scripted artillery support for players and AI (static and mobile)

# AI-(voice-) sounds can be defined on seven different situations (works with MP)

# extended error handling (to avoid user input errors)

# 6 configuration files for individual modifications

# good MP performance

Thx :)

I have added the new features in the list:

DAC 2.1 Features:

# generate units and waypoints dynamically in AI-zones

# highly dynamic game experience, because of AI-zones being generated at every mission start

# dynamic decrease of unit number (infantry or vehicle groups)

# freely chosen size and number of zones (modify directly in in-game editor)

# every zone can be configured individually (modify directly in in-game editor)

# up to four different unit-categories can be generated per zone

# two zone types: unit-zones, waypoint-zones, can be combined

# freely chosen number of unit-zones can be linked with each other

# freely chosen number of waypoint-zones can be linked with unit-zones

# freely chosen number of unit-configurations can be defined

# freely chosen number of behaviour-configurations can be defined

# freely chosen number of waypoint-configurations can be defined

# movable zones (global troop movement)

# size of a zone can be changed at every time

# new behaviour-configuration can be loaded at every time

# new unit-configuration can be loaded at every time

# dynamic AI-respawn in camps generated dynamically (no respawn or camp limits)

# freely chosen number of camp-configurations can be defined (by a maximum of six camp-upgrades)

# camps can be linked to zones

# AI-respawn also possible without camp

# “Standby-mode†for zones, units are generated when needed

# zones can be activated, deactivated as often as you want to

# script, which can delete units (depending on time and/or distance)

# user defined waypoints can be included

# dynamic AI-addon is defined, possibility to choose between four difficulty levels

# running on dedicated servers

# dynamic weather script

# control markers can be activated

# freely chosen number of marker-configurations can be defined

# new marker-configuration can be loaded at every time

# radio messages and markers depending on chosen side can be activated

# units placed in in-game editor can use DAC routines as well

# AI conquers buildings

# AI detects empty vehicles

# AI uses empty static guns

# AI uses smoke grenades

# complete new routines for detecting the enemy

# scripted artillery support for players and AI (static and mobile)

# AI-(voice-) sounds can be defined on seven different situations (works with MP)

# extended error handling (to avoid user input errors)

# 6 configuration files for individual modifications

# good MP performance

# You can create AI zones "on-the-fly"

# option to create mixed groups, for example 1 tank with 6 soldiers

# Zones can now be rotated

# Zones can now take the form of a circle or an ellipse

# Zones can now have the form of an arbitrarily shaped polygon

# Custom Waypoints can now be pre-defined everywhere on the map

# New behaviour options

# New "Config_Weapons" to define a custom weapon-layout foreach soldier type in every unit_config

# and of course ... fixed some bugs

Greeting

Silola

#edit: the zone form "ellipse" is WIP (thx to CarlGustaffa for the marker tip :) )

Edited by Silola

the big question is:are these features reasonably connected to the mission the player wants to make?I mean,Silola's "Faust" spanwns groups ,ok but can I decide their composition to make them in armony with my mission?bah...one thing is sure:I did not understand the core of it and I am too noob to explain better what I mean..

however Silola hurry up!!the shuttle is waiting for you!!

the big question is:are these features reasonably connected to the mission the player wants to make?I mean,Silola's "Faust" spanwns groups ,ok but can I decide their composition to make them in armony with my mission?bah...one thing is sure:I did not understand the core of it and I am too noob to explain better what I mean..

however Silola hurry up!!the shuttle is waiting for you!!

DAC can be used as a background "layer" over which you can make your own mission, and it will provide a sort of realistic background "noise" which is different every time.

If you require that your mission plays out specific things at specific times only, then DAC is not useful for this, but if you wish for your mission to be replayable even by the mission designer, with subtle differences between plays, then it is very good for this.

whats the ETA on this great sounding system?

I didnt play Arma, so Arma II is my first experience. I am still in "AWWW" mode over the SECOP modules, so imagine what this will do. When is its release or estimate? thanks

I crossed all my 12 fingers too :D

"By Christmas" is the cast-iron promise ;)

What year? :D

(I used that ambiguity for a release a long time ago....) ;)

or just

"Its done when its done"

I heared this text is "free for use" since Duke is gone loooooooooooool