Sign in to follow this  
9thAircav

kiska / skira ,does anyone want to see this island in A2 ? (the OFPDR island)

It's gotta be done. If I had the faintest idea about island editing, I'd give it a tilt myself.

Well i literary spent a whole weekend in visitor and wasnt very successful so i have the greatest respect for island makers and modders in general, i to hope that someone would take this on, would be a great excuse to use them ACEX PLA that ive only used once or twice ever.

i think the best skira island ,works with Mikebarts Vegitationspack

i believe that this would be a great map for ARMA 2. i feel a sudden urge to re make the airport taking level in OFP: DR and make it better.;)

in summary definitely want this island

is someone doing this map? if not has someone the source file and can reupload it? thx4info

I have a very advanced version of this island. At the moment has:

- Complete road net

- Most settlements done. Just buildings, not details such as small objects, fences, etc...

- Mostly finished submarine base.

- Most woods and areas are done

- ILS and airport done (with lights, fences, etc...)

- Cities, towns, villages, named areas, etc... are done

- Couple lakes with the pond snappable object are done. Sat mask has been edited so the pond object is not inmediatly noticeable from afar.

- An intro mission (could benefit of a little tinkering and refining)

- All cliffs slopes have been manually edited to make them more steep.

- All beaches have been edited to make their slope not so step.

I have tried to reproduce a couple of the OFP:DR campaing missions, but the range of engagement of the A2 AI is different from the OFP:DR one and the missions don't have the same feeling

If the original poster of this island agrees I could upload the island such as it is now.

That's great news mankyle. I'm really looking forward to making some missions for this island. I hope you get permission to release.

Indeed very good to see this project is not dead. Of all things in Operation Failpoint2, the map was the only good thing. :D

I have tried to reproduce a couple of the OFP:DR campaing missions, but the range of engagement of the A2 AI is different from the OFP:DR one

That's because ArmA2 AI > DR AI

...and the missions don't have the same feeling

That can only be a good thing. :)

If the original poster of this island agrees I could upload the island such as it is now.

I'm not the original poster, but I'd vote +1 for releasing. :)

(And, I've been looking at Semisopochnoi island for my first effort at terrain, but if someone else were to do it first.....) ;)

It's cool news :) Any screenshots from WIP version?

goddamit!! he send me a file, this island is much more finished i though!

All this map need are some sneaky smal details so that she looks really awesome!

I will take sreens and will post them asap!

That's great, looking forward to it!

arma2oa20101203183820697a4f3b34jpg.jpgarma2oa2010120318384320a5d37f43jpg.jpgarma2oa2010120318400145a58387d6jpg.jpgarma2oa20101203184048890726bf4bjpg.jpgarma2oa2010120318414132edc1a315jpg.jpg

All this map needs are the details, please finish this island!! There is so much potential in this would be a shame if it will never be finished.

GREAT JOB mankyle!!

P.S forgive me for my double post due the 5 pictures limitation *HideAndDuck* but this map makes me crazy!

Edited by Clawhammer

Me too... Island was the only good thing in DR imo... Can't wait!

EDIT: Looks great!!!

;1803870']Me too... Island was the only good thing in DR imo... Can't wait!

That's a big island to find 64 entities...oh wait, this isn't DR :D

Looks very good, better than I expected actually.

Sure the original buildings are missing but the stock ArmA2 ones do the job too.

Looking forward to explore the map. :)

thanx for working on it, whoever it is. i hope you finish it. if not post the source files so somebody else can take over.

Edited by rstratton

It's me who has worked on this island

Well, I would say that one of the most difficult things was to add and assemble the little snappable pond objects (there is a giant lake in the middle of the island and a couple more small ones on the west and east parts) and edit the sat and mask so the lakes don't look as if they appear from nowhere suddenly.

Ah!!!

And in the screenshot depicting the quarry, I was experimenting and I added an small rock as clutter. But it didn't look well. And I forgot to remove the small reference from the clutter entry

Now, this map is using only 4 types of surfaces. I had a previous version that used 5 and worked well.

http://s3.imgimg.de/uploads/arma2oa2010120318384320a5d37f43jpg.jpg

in this picture you can see part of the giant lake.

Now, as it is, it is more or less (more less than more) playable, but it would require a good team of people to create something of real good quality

The submarine base is something I'm particularly proud of. I hope some screenshots will be posted soon.

Regardless of whatever it is said, it is still very beta. I don't think I have time now for working on this. I have sent the visitor files so I hope someone will take over this project.

I have now another island in the works, a 1:1 reproduction of the portuguese island of porto santo, and that is a real PITA, much more difficult that this one (I have now around 45000 objects, most of them placed by hand).

I will post screenshots of Porto Santo soon.

Edited by mankyle

to add and assemble the little snappable pond objects

There are snappable pond objects available?? Could you tell me wher to find them??

Very nice island by the way.... :)

It's me who has worked on this island

Well, I would say that one of the most difficult things was to add and assemble the little snappable pond objects (there is a giant lake in the middle of the island and a couple more small ones on the west and east parts) and edit the sat and mask so the lakes don't look as if they appear from nowhere suddenly.

Ah!!!

And in the screenshot depicting the quarry, I was experimenting and I added an small rock as clutter. But it didn't look well. And I forgot to remove the small reference from the clutter entry

Now, this map is using only 4 types of surfaces. I had a previous version that used 5 and worked well.

http://s3.imgimg.de/uploads/arma2oa2010120318384320a5d37f43jpg.jpg

in this picture you can see part of the giant lake.

Now, as it is, it is more or less (more less than more) playable, but it would require a good team of people to create something of real good quality

The submarine base is something I'm particularly proud of. I hope some screenshots will be posted soon.

Regardless of whatever it is said, it is still very beta. I don't think I have time now for working on this. I have sent the visitor files so I hope someone will take over this project.

I have now another island in the works, a 1:1 reproduction of the portuguese island of porto santo, and that is a real PITA, much more difficult that this one (I have now around 45000 objects, most of them placed by hand).

I will post screenshots of Porto Santo soon.

post the link to the source files, i might work on it some more.

The snappable pond object is here

Although I'm not totally sure I think it was you, rstratton, the one who did the sanpable pond object.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=08JNKTHQ

I will post the source files tomorrow so anyone who wants to take this massive undertaking of an island can do so

Edited by mankyle

I hope this island gets finished; not just because FPDR was so damned terrible, but because it would prove interesting terrain.

Here's to whoever takes on the mantle of this mighty beast *cough* Clawhammer *cough*.

Good looking island. It would be tempting to reproduce the Dragon Rising campaign and improve it just to rub it into someone's face and say "look, this is how it's done" :p

Finally, drive a Hummer over towards the monastery that doesn't handle like a loaded supermarket trolley.