Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

What happened to the "1 shot, 1 kill" realism the devs went on and on about until about 20 minutes before release?

"You'll be amazed by our hit system, it really brings in the heart of true realism, it's really 1 shot *cough* or 20 *cough* one kill, *cough* maybe *cough*"

"You'll be amazed by our hit system, it really brings in the heart of true realism, it's really 1 shot *cough* or 20 *cough* one kill, *cough* maybe *cough*"

Yeah, seriously, what a crock.

We switched from A2 to DR last night because one of our crew wanted to see DR.

We were doing Campaign 6/11 (Stealthily attack a fuel depot). We snuck up behind a sentry and my buddy shot him 3 times (1 in the head, 2 in the back). I was covering and saw the shots hit but the PLA guy started to turn. As he turned I fired on semi auto, 5 times with the SCAR, hitting him squarely in the back and side. He fell, crawled and then stood up, shooting my mate and killing him. At that point I emptied my remaining 25 rounds into his chest.

Stuff like this just kills immersion.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Hah.. yeah, I know that mission. All you have to do is take out one lone soldier silently so he doesn't set off the alarm and bring all hell down on you, what they forgot to mention in the briefing was that that one soldier is actually Superman.

Hah.. yeah, I know that mission. All you have to do is take out one lone soldier silently so he doesn't set off the alarm and bring all hell down on you, what they forgot to mention in the briefing was that that one soldier is actually Superman.

Yah, I was half expecting to hear the Chinese version of Col. Trautman over the radio :p

"We had our Vietnam, now you have yours (with soldiers made out of Kevlar)"

Eth

Edited by BangTail

It's interesting to observe that people are getting increasingly angry now after OFP:DR has been out for a while, I mean, I've never seen so many furious customers venting about their anger on any game so far.

It says you been on the BIS forum for 8 years - are you sure you've never seen so many customers venting their anger before? And the angry customers over there are actually a small vocal group. CM seem to let the threads stay up unless there's anything offensive. They must be commended for that, as some games forums delete critical threads at launch as I'm sure some of you know.

Its interesting to see that the vast majority of the critical threads, are regarding dedicated servers. If the game was no good, then to be honest noone would really care, so its a sign of the quality of the game that so many people are passionate about having dedicated servers.

It says you been on the BIS forum for 8 years - are you sure you've never seen so many customers venting their anger before? And the angry customers over there are actually a small vocal group. CM seem to let the threads stay up unless there's anything offensive. They must be commended for that, as some games forums delete critical threads at launch as I'm sure some of you know.

Its interesting to see that the vast majority of the critical threads, are regarding dedicated servers. If the game was no good, then to be honest noone would really care, so its a sign of the quality of the game that so many people are passionate about having dedicated servers.

I wouldn't usually respond to your nonsense but what a load of crap.

They delete threads left and right and it has nothing to do with anything "offensive".

100 dedicated servers wouldn't save that mile high pile of manure.

Again, if it's so good, why do you INSIST on wasting your time here? Please enlighten us!

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Last 4 posts removed because they have nothing to do with DR at all.

Ethne, space

take your issues to PM where you don't bother the rest of the community with it, thanks.

I'm wondering, what IS wrong with the soldiers' hitpoint system in DR? They die with one shot to the head and 3-4 to the chest. Every single soldier in the game is carrying full body armour of what to me appears to be Class III or Class IVA. 5.56mm and 5.8mm SHOULDN'T penetrate that at one shot. That's what the vests are there for!

And on the other hand a .50 rifle kills on one shot to the torso because it slams straight through the armour.

Now what is the issue with that? You need something to complain about for the sake of complaining wether it is logical or not?

DR has many, many, many faults indeed. But that's not one of them.

I'm wondering, what IS wrong with the soldiers' hitpoint system in DR? They die with one shot to the head and 3-4 to the chest. Every single soldier in the game is carrying full body armour of what to me appears to be Class III or Class IVA. 5.56mm and 5.8mm SHOULDN'T penetrate that at one shot. That's what the vests are there for!

And on the other hand a .50 rifle kills on one shot to the torso because it slams straight through the armour.

Now what is the issue with that? You need something to complain about for the sake of complaining wether it is logical or not?

DR has many, many, many faults indeed. But that's not one of them.

A round to the head should be a kill shot so it IS a fault, end of story. I've seen headshots fail to kill in DR on more than one occasion.

Eth

Thankfully this hasn't happened to BIS and I hope it never does :)

Eth

The same thing did happened on Arma2, it just that BI are being lucky not to promise anything and that we all know they will release many patches to fix the game(not completely, but close)

You're objective?

What a crock :rolleyes:

You're a DR fanboy whose claims have been refuted over and over again.

The whole fracking game was a "broken promise" FFS.

Yes Flarma, paying customers get angry when devs promise features and then deliver a game where none of the "promises" are fulfilled. I'm confused, should we be happy about that?

If DR is so great, why are you here again?

I tried to play it again last night with a mate and it's a pile of shite tbh. We emptied 10 rounds into some China man and he proceeded to stand up and return fire. What happened to the "1 shot, 1 kill" realism the devs went on and on about until about 20 minutes before release?

Eth

Ive spent a couple days checking out DR now, and after a few dozen games haven't really had what you complain about happen, with needing 10 rounds to kill someone. Ive seen people just simply miss, but INSIST they hit the target... which might be more your problem. But with reciving a clear hit, I have yet to see a soldier take more then 3-4 rounds... let alone 10.

With that said, there does seem to be a massive issue with the hit detection. At one point I fired a full magazine at a guy only 100 feet away, and despite having nothing between us, and the crosshair CLEARLY on his body my shots simply would not hit. I could see that causing someone to think they are hitting tagets, when your actually not.

Anyway, tbh this is quite the amazing community. BIS can do no wrong, but let one other developer make any mistake and its the end of the world. Want to talk missing features? Read the first previews for what was at the time "game2" back in 2005, and then take a look at ArmA2. There is nothing from thoes previews/interviews that actually made it to ArmA2. Say "Well game2 was a diffrent project!" all you want, but even BIS's own site stated "ArmA2 is Game2" when it was first announced. Yet BIS fans will ignore that and trash other companies for far smaller omisions from their games. Really makes me laugh.

Don't get me wrong. I like ArmA2 and BIS is one of my favorite developers. ArmA2 a fairly good game, and its an acceptable sequal to flashpoint, but it is nothing like it was first announced as in 2005... and is actually not a whole lot diffrent then OFP1 tbh. Its bug ridden, its engine is very very dated, and the game lacks the polish of a mainstream game... not to mention the fact it was, following in ArmaA1s footsteps, released way to early. Gameplay is most important of course, but with its wonky controls and bugs thats not always enough to save it. Im not trying to trash ArmA2 at all... just stateing that its funny that fans of ArmA2 can sit there and call any other game a bug ridden POS, and have the nerve to call someone who likes said game a "fanboy".

If you love ArmA2 thats great... but its just not right to riddicule people who don't or who like a diffrent game that is competition for ArmA2. If yoy don't want to see what they have to say... why are you even in a thread dedicated to Dragon Rising? And just remember, ArmA2 is one of the buggiest, broken, and un-polished games out there in its own right... so think about that before trashing other games.

------------------------

However thats for another thread I suppose. On topic with Dragon Rising, the absolute main issue it has is the fact its a strait port from the console. It looks, feels, and plays like a 360 game. The controls are worse then ArmA2, and its bland graphics make the world unimpressive. At times certain controls are even un-responsive, such as trying to prone/croutch/scroll weapons. This is a real pain in the butt when the crap is hitting the fan.

DR suffers from a whole other range of issues... so many it would be hard to sit here and list them all. The main ones center around its AI, and mission design. The missions are fun, but the AI is pretty much just basic "Kill or Camp"... and the whole sense of a war being fought around you simply isn't there. Also a pain is its clunky command system. I personally thought the ArmA2 system was getting dated, but its easier to use then the maze of circle menus in DR.

And MP? Don't even think about it. The lack of dedicated servers, and no cheat protection team up for one hell of a bad experience. And even if there was cheat protection... how do you ban people since there are no CD-Keys? Lack of CD-Keys allows for an even more frustrating scenario for thoes of us who actually bought the game... it takes no effort for someone to use illegal means to get the game and play it online, which is a slap in the face to lagit buyers.

Overall I was hopeing DR would be at least similar to OFP/ArmA just with a new, fresh engine. Its not.. at least not really. The game I find myself more closely comparing it to is Bad Company, with larger maps. Thats not terrible since Bad Company was a decent game... but its just not a mil sim game. Not to mention its full of bugs, and smells of console port as bad as any other game in history. Give it a shot if you like Bad Company... but otherwise this is one to pass on.

The same thing did happened on Arma2, it just that BI are being lucky not to promise anything and that we all know they will release many patches to fix the game(not completely, but close)

Maybe, maybe not. I've been playing A2 (and designing missions since launch) and objectively, I can say that when I score a headshot in A2, the Tango dies.

A2 is has it's issues, but in my experience, that isn't one of them.

Let's be fair, DR is not in the same league as A2.

Eth

---------- Post added at 05:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 AM ----------

Ive spent a couple days checking out DR now, and after a few dozen games haven't really had what you complain about happen, with needing 10 rounds to kill someone. Ive seen people just simply miss, but INSIST they hit the target... which might be more your problem. But with reciving a clear hit, I have yet to see a soldier take more then 3-4 rounds... let alone 10.

With that said, there does seem to be a massive issue with the hit detection. At one point I fired a full magazine at a guy only 100 feet away, and despite having nothing between us, and the crosshair CLEARLY on his body my shots simply would not hit. I could see that causing someone to think they are hitting tagets, when your actually not.

Anyway, tbh this is quite the amazing community. BIS can do no wrong, but let one other developer make any mistake and its the end of the world. Want to talk missing features? Read the first previews for what was at the time "game2" back in 2005, and then take a look at ArmA2. There is nothing from thoes previews/interviews that actually made it to ArmA2. Say "Well game2 was a diffrent project!" all you want, but even BIS's own site stated "ArmA2 is Game2" when it was first announced. Yet BIS fans will ignore that and trash other companies for far smaller omisions from their games. Really makes me laugh.

Don't get me wrong. I like ArmA2 and BIS is one of my favorite developers. ArmA2 a fairly good game, and its an acceptable sequal to flashpoint, but it is nothing like it was first announced as in 2005... and is actually not a whole lot diffrent then OFP1 tbh. Its bug ridden, its engine is very very dated, and the game lacks the polish of a mainstream game... not to mention the fact it was, following in ArmaA1s footsteps, released way to early. Gameplay is most important of course, but with its wonky controls and bugs thats not always enough to save it. Im not trying to trash ArmA2 at all... just stateing that its funny that fans of ArmA2 can sit there and call any other game a bug ridden POS, and have the nerve to call someone who likes said game a "fanboy".

If you love ArmA2 thats great... but its just not right to riddicule people who don't or who like a diffrent game that is competition for ArmA2. If yoy don't want to see what they have to say... why are you even in a thread dedicated to Dragon Rising? And just remember, ArmA2 is one of the buggiest, broken, and un-polished games out there in its own right... so think about that before trashing other games.

------------------------

However thats for another thread I suppose. On topic with Dragon Rising, the absolute main issue it has is the fact its a strait port from the console. It looks, feels, and plays like a 360 game. The controls are worse then ArmA2, and its bland graphics make the world unimpressive. At times certain controls are even un-responsive, such as trying to prone/croutch/scroll weapons. This is a real pain in the butt when the crap is hitting the fan.

DR suffers from a whole other range of issues... so many it would be hard to sit here and list them all. The main ones center around its AI, and mission design. The missions are fun, but the AI is pretty much just basic "Kill or Camp"... and the whole sense of a war being fought around you simply isn't there. Also a pain is its clunky command system. I personally thought the ArmA2 system was getting dated, but its easier to use then the maze of circle menus in DR.

And MP? Don't even think about it. The lack of dedicated servers, and no cheat protection team up for one hell of a bad experience. And even if there was cheat protection... how do you ban people since there are no CD-Keys? Lack of CD-Keys allows for an even more frustrating scenario for thoes of us who actually bought the game... it takes no effort for someone to use illegal means to get the game and play it online, which is a slap in the face to lagit buyers.

Overall I was hopeing DR would be at least similar to OFP/ArmA just with a new, fresh engine. Its not.. at least not really. The game I find myself more closely comparing it to is Bad Company, with larger maps. Thats not terrible since Bad Company was a decent game... but its just not a mil sim game. Not to mention its full of bugs, and smells of console port as bad as any other game in history. Give it a shot if you like Bad Company... but otherwise this is one to pass on.

If they weren't being compared, I could accept DR for what it is, a GRAW clone and in that respect, it has merit.

Beyond that, whatever :(

Eth

Let's be fair, DR is not in the same league as DR.

Indeed.

@stakex, its one thing to say "here what we want to try and do", and then retract some of those statements years later. And we did get some of the original game 2 content in Arma 2. BIS have not advertise a bunch of features for arma 2 and then not put them into game (besides the "some vehicles will feature simple countermeasures" bit)

its another to make all these grandiose promises, claims and such from the start of development right up until release date, and still not deliver

Indeed.

/Shenanigans

I'd corrected that pretty quickly ;)

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

@stakex, its one thing to say "here what we want to try and do", and then retract some of those statements years later. And we did get some of the original game 2 content in Arma 2. BIS have not advertise a bunch of features for arma 2 and then not put them into game (besides the "some vehicles will feature simple countermeasures" bit)

its another to make all these grandiose promises, claims and such from the start of development right up until release date, and still not deliver

QFT

/10 chars

Went out and bought OFDR, finished the campaign, money not so well spent.

Can honestly say it is crap. Back to arma :)

Only thing that it does better than arma 2 is performance and optimization for quad core processors, but thats probably co's the graphics are awful and ai is dumb etc.

Good thing tho is that console gamers get somekind of taste of alternative to Call Of Duty etc, and maybe after that they want to try Arma :)

@Stakex

Most of what BIS advertised as being in game 2 is in ArmA 2. Additionally, the stuff they were playing with but didn't pan out was mentioned by the devs BEFORE they released the game. I can't think of any multimedia presentations made by BIS that clearly list an abundance of ghost-features.

There is an issue in your logic and a neglect of relevant evidence when you are saying that we should turn the other cheek when another game fails to live up to expectations. Firstly, because someone does something wrong doesn't mean his criticism isn't valid if he's telling someone else not to do it. By accepting BIS's software for whatever reasons doesn't mean we must now accept other software regardless of its flaws. Secondly, I remember quite a few posts on the launches of ArmA and ArmA 2 where people were losing their shit they were so pissed. Every once in a while there is still new hater threads popping up in the ArmA 2 general discussion forum. I think you'll find that this community has all kinds of people in it. Some people are irate about the bugs in ArmA 2, some people accept them. Here in this thread, some people like DR in spite of its flaws, some people do not.

So, neither the community at large or people as individuals really seem to be the hypocrites that you would make them out to be. We are just individual people voicing our opinions.

Posted my first impressions on another forum, but might as well do it here too:

Ok my first attempt on DR is now behind and ahemm.. Well I'm not sure if I dare to try again

After I fired up the game it was time to set settings and map controls. The main menu is ok and looks good, although it's pretty consolish with things like "Press return to enter main menu". When that was done I started a campaign on hardcore. No briefing or any intel at all before the first mission, but anyway the first task was to clear an LZ. I ordered the AI to fall in on me and proceeded towards a hill near the obj. Once we were almost on top of the hill a few enemis SPAWNED out of nowhere in defensive postions on top of it, but two of my AI quickly dispatched them. The two then charged the enemy positions on their own, without orders, while a third threw a grenade into... the position his mates just charged

The nade went off and killed both of the chargers, and at the same time my PC went into a hard lock forcing me to cut power in order to reboot. Now I'm wondering if I dare to start up the game again, because those hard locks sure aren't very healthy for the system.

Testing continues, but I can tell you one thing: Even with all its faults Arma2 has never hardlocked my PC,

How comes I find no user done video of Codemasters DR on youtube?

Anyone got an url?

I only knew the one from that russian guy ...

Everything else I find is just advertisings from Codemasters ... many, many ... but nothing I can really use to get an authentic impression (before getting the demo).

How comes I find no user done video of Codemasters DR on youtube?

Anyone got an url?

I only knew the one from that russian guy ...

Everything else I find is just advertisings from Codemasters ... many, many ... but nothing I can really use to get an authentic impression (before getting the demo).

Because OFP:DR hate Fraps, dunno if it is "intentionally"

You mean, you cannot make videos of DR using FRAPS?

People who was trying to record with fraps have problem, I dunno what it is as I dont have the game, but I recall numbers of post saying that.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWazUydZJZs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWazUydZJZs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StWArGzWnBU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StWArGzWnBU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crw4jBk0Z2A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crw4jBk0Z2A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

a good Arma and OFP2 comparision vid

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPxoLj1O0UY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPxoLj1O0UY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Edited by Eble

Love that last one :o