Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

I wouldn't say it's a stupid game, it's just been badly mistreated in pre-marketing and naming.

Take away the name "Operation Flashpoint", and you have an ok tactical shooter in your hands. Being accustomed to BI's products I found DR boring and a bit on the easy side, but I can easily see how someone with a run-and-gun background finds it very entertaining.

I wouldn't say it's a stupid game, it's just been badly mistreated in pre-marketing and naming.

Take away the name "Operation Flashpoint", and you have an ok tactical shooter in your hands. Being accustomed to BI's products I found DR boring and a bit on the easy side, but I can easily see how someone with a run-and-gun background finds it very entertaining.

Sadly, I wouldn't even say it's much of a show-stopper in the gaming world full stop. The design choices make it hard to deal with, mainly in the form of bringing up menus in game stops player movement, but that's only one of the many issues it has. The campaign, SP missions and MP missions are also rather uninspired and generic. Plus, the MP is also broken, but it doesn't matter since there's only really 4 maps.

It's not that great of a "game", even.

IMHO: The hype about Dragon Rising was just that "hype". It is so hard not to flame CM over this. They have defiled and desecrated the sacred name “Operation Flashpointâ€. I will never use the term "Operation Flashpoint" when referring to Dragon Rising.

The BIS releases still have no peers. Nothing else even comes close. "Dragon Rising turned out to be a joke. Once I got it installed and started messing around with it I kept waiting for the punch line. LOL

I'm glad I bought the download for only 39 US dollars and didn't waste any more money on "Dragon Rising". :(

It’s nothing more than your average little military game and while it may do something to promote military games in general, it is in no way, shape, form or fashion in the same league as any of the BIS releases. The real Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis beats Dragon Rising by miles and it’s ten years old.

I need these forums way to much for information and help editing missions to get myself banned over this "crap" so I'll just shut up now. (Per the first post “crap†is allowed.) I almost filled up an entire page posting the word crap a thousand times. Can you tell I’m not really happy with CM right now? :mad:

DOA out.

The campaign, SP missions and MP missions are also rather uninspired and generic. Plus, the MP is also broken, but it doesn't matter since there's only really 4 maps.

I completely agree with this, it's imho very monotonic, but once again the significance of all that depends on what we compare it with. Sure it doesn't come close to Arma2, but take for example COD5, no doubt a familiar title to the majority of current DR players, and you have a much more even comparison. People have different tastes and different standards based on their gaming background: Some don't like Arma2 precisely for the reasons that make it so great, mainly a huge, open live world and the strive for realism. Just see how DR was treated by some guys: It received a few bad reviews because the reviewers found it TOO difficult and realistic :D

Well that was patronizing.

What I was talking about specifically was the multimedia presentation that the AI designer guy did at some games convention.

Most of their 'target renders' were labelled such somewhere in fine print. It's a shame they had such a problem meeting their goals. Maybe the team needs a life coach or something.

ah... but companies still do that smoke and mirrors thing.

What they do, is show the pre-rendered stuff, then shove in a "Work in Progress" as like a disclaimer. Like that let's them off the hook.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Anyone have an opinion on is the games soundtrack good?

This is sad, the part I DID LIKE? The history lesson flashing in front to get you up to speed. If you slow it down, you see stuff like Swing Flu posted and so forth just wizzing by like taking snap-shots of history. That I did like. Was sorta cool.

that's it.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

There are NO PLANS for a dedicated server. NO PLANS.

i.e.

Its not coming.

Dont hold your breath... actually... do.

Yeah, I can confirm that nothings in the works. There is even a petition they are trying to get people to sign to make dedicated server files.

This thread is EPIC!

I lost track back at page 80 something and have only skimmed over the rest but it goes down as one of the best I have seen on these forums in my short time here.

Here's my Fraps test video. Disable the annotations if you don't want to see my "commentary". :D

Dragon Rising SP Mission 5 - Encampment (Fraps test)[/url]

That's pretty smooth, is that the latest FRAPS?

The whole trick to the night mission crap is to just watch for the tracers. They will fire 20-30 rounds all over, and just watch for them. Also, nobody told CM that snipers don't use tracers in real life. If you have a sniper out there, just follow the tracers and pop him.

Luhgnut;1465264']That's pretty smooth' date=' is that the latest FRAPS?[/quote']

Yup, v2.9.99, the one that was released today. I was getting around 30 or so FPS when recording. You can see my system specs in the video's description.

Luhgnut;1465264']The whole trick to the night mission crap is to just watch for the tracers. They will fire 20-30 rounds all over' date=' and just watch for them. Also, nobody told CM that snipers don't use tracers in real life. If you have a sniper out there, just follow the tracers and pop him.[/quote']

Night is friggen pointless in the game if you play against human opponents. It's fighting in blue daylight. Can't believe the AI can't see as well at night...

Yes, I really hate their throat singing approach to some of the songs. Apparently it's a traditional form of Chinese singing, but it's sung in the soundtrack by an American family, believe it or not.

Apart from the songs with the ugly throat singing, the rest of the sound track is quite nice. I downloaded it all from that pack they posted on the CM forums. Can't see how it's a soundtrack, though, since none of them are really used in the game...

Being chinese myself, I LOLed when someome saying that its from any form of traditional singing in any part of china, the simple fact is it dont even come close to anything, the rest of the track is OK but not my taste, the fact is I have listen once and I deleted them, after all i got much better ones to listen to.

Night is friggen pointless in the game if you play against human opponents. It's fighting in blue daylight. Can't believe the AI can't see as well at night...

Remember those old movies like "The Blob" and all the old cornhole "B" movies? They would shoot them during the day, and put a heavy blue filter over the lens. that's EXACTLY what it looks like.

Luhgnut;1465303']Remember those old movies like "The Blob" and all the old cornhole "B" movies? They would shoot them during the day' date=' and put a heavy blue filter over the lens. that's EXACTLY what it looks like.[/quote']

I am quote sure they still do this these days

Luhgnut;1465303']Remember those old movies like "The Blob" and all the old cornhole "B" movies? They would shoot them during the day' date=' and put a heavy blue filter over the lens. that's EXACTLY what it looks like.[/quote']

They did that in The Sum of all Fears for the carrier attack, only modern effects are a little more advanced, plus they had a pretty massive budget for the Clancy flick lol.

DR sound=hollywood.

sound effect wise DR did do better then A2 without mod

DR sound=hollywood.

ARMA2 sound=bollywood

And then BFBC2 sound=hollywood with realism, about perfect.

Edited by Leopardi

Parts of it yeah, but it sounds sorta "plastic" doesn't it?

The menu music sounds like someone is choking/drowning a chinese woman in a tub.

It actually makes me cringe.

Eth

That cracks me up. The menu music is almost as bad as the World At War menu music. Sounds like he keeps dry heaving while singing.

I just completed the campaign and saw the credits rolling by. It may not be a fantastic game, but they are not completely humourless.

http://upload.snelhest.org/images/091014sion.JPG

Anyone recognise Sion's desktop background? :)

O.M.G. I can't believe that my wallpaper made it into a game (even if it was just the credits).

I'm ashamed to have inadvertently contributed to DR. :(

Abs

Don't know if anyone's posted this one yet but there's a very good non-bias graphical comparison video someone posted... somewhere else.

Anyways, here it is.

Not really. While small arms is a matter of taste, I think it is obvious that vehicle sounds in ArmA 2 are far superior to anything we have seen in any FPS let alone DR.

I love the multiple sounds of each vehicle engine especially when it is one big tank idling then starts moving, you really feel the diesel engine kicking in.

Only other place i have heard better sounds are in dedicated sims and in CMSF.

Thank you for the side by side comparison. I'm still waiting on a demo , but seeing this and the reviews, I don't think a demo will be necessary.

Some games just shouldn't be built from the ground up as multiplatform..... especially when NEXT GEN has the same limitations as the LAST GEN.

the only thing that i can say about the vid: arma2 has crappy voices and sounds. Even when a soldier runs, the sound looks like at someone with water in his shoes.

but arma2 is nicer than ofp:dr. the bad thing is, that a powerful computer is needed to run it.

to "4 in 1" and "leopardi":with all respect for you,look at some video of real fight and you will discover that arma 2 provides realistic sounds of all weapons,also the hugly sound of certain models of AK(it is close to reality) so I cant figure out the legend about the supposed "low quality weapon effects of arma"....the real weapons arent "funny" to use,not "cool" as movies,cod,bf,dr,ecc...