Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

I don't like arcade console shooters so this game doesn't interest me :(

+1 :)

Remember this horse shit:

5:04-5:18 especially didn't even announce the axing of that..

Edited by SAbre4809

DR looks like a hybrid bastard created by a marketing team trying to think how they could capture milsim and shootemup players. ends up satisfying neither.

pity, i had the money to spend but will save for next installation of arma2.

Kind of like the 'homermobile' from the Simpsons.. The founder of Heinz (yes, ketchup company) said it best a loooong time ago 'You don't need to do anything fancy, just take something simple and do it better than anybody else' No compromises, no meshing. Keep it pure, keep it focused, and do it the best you possibly can. CM need to learn this, and not listen to the marketing boobs.

I was reading that heli's bounce off trees and get no damage when they hit them. That can't be good

It's not a bad game but I won't be spending money on it.

A2 completely covers my military "jones".

Having said that, if you are into BF2 type shooters, it is definitely good fun and it seems well made (for the most part).

I have some gripes about every building being empty, dumbass AI (Yes, A2's AI can be very silly as well). It has nice touches as well; good sound, and the overall feeling of a chaotic battlefield are there.

The lack of a dedi and the foolish use of the franchise name (moronic suits who don't have a clue always preoccupied with how they can gouge people and not realising we have a thing called the net), are causing a lot of problems. Shame they didn't have a little more foresight in that regard.

I don't think it has the years of play that you can get out of A2, but as a casual bit of fun, you could do worse.

Eth

@ Vasmkd : I can confirm, I have seen helos bounce off trees.

Edited by BangTail

IMHO, if BIS could somehow successfully port ArmA2 or Operation Arrowhaed to consoles (xbox360), they would rule the industry for a very long time...

I suspect this is the reason why OA is set in the desert. Yes there will be some trees, but much more easily scalable than Cherno. DR will gauge interest for a proper milsim on console and five months down the line AII's code will be optimised.

Remember this horse shit:

5:04-5:18 especially didn't even announce the axing of that..

Yah, that is a shame. It sounded SO good.

Eth

Regardless of how the game actually plays, I wonder if this represents a new nadir for a developer allocating resources to promotion rather than game design.

Allow me to remind you of this 'in game footage' which was released six months ago:

I mean, how on earth did they have the front to pass that off as anything other than a pre-render?

It was my understanding that this was a proven fake video and not an official CM marketing ploy

Someone just posted this picture on our forums, and I dont know what to say...

Clicky

Half the map seems to be "salt lake" so there is nothing on it. Yeah way to go to make a map of "unseen scale"... Just make a flat bit without objects of 5x5 km to make it bigger....

Well it saves me from digging for info for this game, because I know enough :)

Now can somebody with an account on the CM forums post this screenshot in this stupid topic:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384406

Why do you suddenly have 50 fps but you only have 20 trees on screen.

WHOOPIE.

"CODE MASTERS", GET IT.

If it hadn't been marketed as direct competition for A2 (and if they hadn't used the OFP name), I would have no trouble with it. It is enjoyable for what it is, I can't deny that.

On the A2 front, it's not worth arguing with the guys on the DR forums. They don't understand the astronomically HUGE technical differences between what A2 can do and what DR can't do. There is absolutely NO comparison.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

If it hadn't been marketed as direct competition for A2 (and if they hadn't used the OFP name). I would have no trouble with it. It is enjoyable for what it is, I can't deny that.

On the A2 front, it's not worth arguing with the guys on the DR forums. They don't understand the astronomically HUGE differences between what A2 can do and what DR can't do. There is absolutely NO comparison.

Eth

If only they would/could play both games to get a better idea of that. Your probably right that it will be enjoyable for what it is, I have Crysis, Far Cry 1 &2, all the CoD games, the medal of honor series, Battlefield 2 & a host of others in my collection so I cant deny I enjoy a dumbed down shooter from time to time, but Arma 2 is definitely where i'll be getting my realistic mil-sim style gaming from for the considerable future.

The trouble with the DR fanboys on youtube & the CM forums is its blatantly obvious the flamers are all lippy teenagers (or highly immature adults) who think theres only two opinions in this world - theirs & the wrong one - so even positive criticism sends them into a foaming at the mouth name calling frenzy. They probably have the same attitudes toward music or anything else for that matter, seen it a thousand times on the internet over the years lol

This is just plain riddicilious.

Honestly. What the hell?

The moon. It caused a HDR/bloom effect you expect from sun. What kind of magic mushrooms the game developers ate while making this game? I have seen all kinds of games, but this is the first one ever, that caused my vision to be messed up. Kinda like in ArmA, you watch directly at the sun, your vision will be messed up. Expect now repeat that same thing with the MOON.

I kid you not, but I got killed because the moon was so damn bright and shiny and so on that it was just plain riddicilous.

I'm not trying to flame or cause a shitstorm here, but. Whoah. I'm honestly speaking little bit shocked. Just.. How did they manage that? WHY did they do that?

If only they would/could play both games to get a better idea of that. Your probably right that it will be enjoyable for what it is, I have Crysis, Far Cry 1 &2, all the CoD games, the medal of honor series, Battlefield 2 & a host of others in my collection so I cant deny I enjoy a dumbed down shooter from time to time, but Arma 2 is definitely where i'll be getting my realistic mil-sim style gaming from for the considerable future.

The trouble with the DR fanboys on youtube & the CM forums is its blatantly obvious the flamers are all lippy teenagers (or highly immature adults) who think theres only two opinions in this world - theirs & the wrong one - so even positive criticism sends them into a foaming at the mouth name calling frenzy. They probably have the same attitudes toward music or anything else for that matter, seen it a thousand times on the internet over the years lol

/Agreed

I enjoyed CoD:MW and I love PRM (BF2 MOD) for the squad play. Just because they are different than A2, it doesn't make them bad.

Like you, I enjoy a "dumbed down" shooter as well, and like you, I appreciate them for what they are. It's the foolish comparisons that cause the problems and the numerous "lippy teenagers" (and adults who insist on behaving like "lippy teenagers") that spoil everything with their unobjective stupidity and total lack of understanding when it comes to the numerous technical differences between A2 and x FPS shooter.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Allow me to remind you of this 'in game footage' which was released six months ago:

Forgive me if I have little sympathy for anyone that thought that actually was in game footage...

I like BF2 and I don't like OFP: DR. At least not so far. It all feels chunky. The character movement is obsesivly slow, the weapon changes are slow, etc. I understand to a point, but the BIS system is much better.

No bullet drop. The smoke FX is flat. The gfx themselves are very flat after some 300m. The grass disappears faster than in ArmA2. You can move other soldiers by running into them. Try it, you can move them like they're on ice. The enemy AI is woefully inaccurate. Friendly AI is no better. The AI is so so. They go into cover. The commo rose is personal prefrence, I dislike that you need to press keys, BF2 style is better. There are some commands that ArmA2 desperatley needs, such as fire on my lead and supress. The context sensistive thing seems to work, you can order the AI to storm a building and they do it very well. Every enemy and friendly weapon seems to fire only tracers, OFP style. I looked down and tried to see my own shadow to check for shadows, couldn't see it. They are there though. Tried to check out the massive gore that some people have been getting a boner over and it's just some massively overdone blood splatter. All the particle effects are overdone in size for no reason at all.

So far, it's a big pile of shit, much like I thought it would be. I'll take a second look tommorow and judge it some more. Good thing I didn't buy it.

I think I better save those 17 pounds and go get a new

CPU for amra2 then, this game is a no go for me

No lean and no TRACKIR SUPPORT!

WHAT? I thought it was suppose to support "limited" TIR capabilities?

What is shame, that most of you saying that game is bad, but still you bought or preordered game. In fact you say to publishers let do that again, again promise things that are not technically possible, lay and steal ideas, make renders and photoshoped sshots. If players ask why games look today as they look, its because that. Because lot of people are able to buy, preorder just because PR and previews at magazines that are dependend on advertising sales. Its sad, where game industry going :(

Ha...thanks for NOT following suits, :)

Well I am glad I stuck to my never preorder a game. I always wait for release or demo before buying, so I have saved myself some coin that will be left for OA

Opps - damm codemasters getting me into trouble on these fourms

Edited by MattXR

Well I am glad I stuck to my never preorder a game. I always wait for release or demo before buying, so I have saved myself some coin that will be left for OA

Yep, bring on OA. Can't wait :D

Eth

I might buy it just to have a look at the head shots,see if theyre like in the youtube vids,the anims looked pretty good.however i cant help but think OFP2 will join some of my other games I call 1 players,ie play once-enjoy,uninstall such as Farcry2,Crysis,MoHAirborne,CoD5 WaW,and ALL of these games were touted as THE BEST gaming experience yadda yadda yadda.

Pity really, woulda also preferred they just called it Dragon Rising and dropped the operation flashpoint tag.

Although i dont actually have the game yet, i should have it tommorow and as such will post my initial thoughts then. From what i have managed to pick out of the mess that is the CM forum though, its not looking good at this point.

I love the OFP/ArmA series and in my opinion the only real "problem" is the time and knowledge (if thats even the right word to describe it) it takes to play the game to its potential. I was hoping OFPR would bridge the gap between ArmA and COD, i admit i do like COD:MW and play it. But only because there is nothing else out there i can jump into a game with those in my squad who dont have the time each week to keep ontop of addons and game changes to keep ArmA running at its best.

The obvious downfalls at this point are very much the lack of dedicated server support and the modding ability. Even the confirmation of either by CM would be good enough, as we know from BI, it takes time to release these things and i think people will be prepared to wait. I have to say at this point it really is looking like a big developer, wooing us with glorious facts and media, then not interacting with the fanbase. I just get the feeling codemasters, now they have the game released will move the development team onto the next project.

Reading through the above section myself i realise it does sound a bit harsh maybe to CM at this point, with the game not even released worldwide yet. But i am happy to be proven wrong. The one thing that BI have done fantastically well at over the years is interacting with the fans and providing us with support for many months/years. I fear this is going to be the biggest pittfall with OFPR, again i hope to be proven wrong.

I suppose i should end this now before i end up writing an essay...

Hopefully my copy of OFPR will arrive tommorow and i can asses the game for myself, at least now i am prepared for what i will be looking at (and what i'll be missing).

Just played it.

So far what I've noticed is that you can run up really steep rocky terrains, which is useful I guess. You can also walk through other units - and no you dont die from one shot.. Though your health does not regenerate you won't die as fast as you typically would in arma 2. Also, it hates fraps. It would crash a lot of the time if I press F9 to record. Once I got it to record and the video came out flickering each frame.

The running animation of the gun is really annoying. Also you run freakishly slow. And if you look down you don't have legs, but you do feel like a migit because for some reason you're very close to the ground.

What I did like however is the long ranged combat. You can see enemy units well - even if it is a forest. Hitting them isn't too hard - and they can't hit you as amazingly as the ArmA 2 AI could (which now may have been fixed, I really didn't test them in the latest patches).

I gotta get back to homework but so far I'd say it's pretty cool for an arcade shooter with a bit of spice to it. To arcade shooters it's a very new thing however, but I'm not too surprised since I've been playing ArmA 2 a lot.

Oh and as for the graphics, they are indeed not very advanced. A lot of the grass and other vegetation I noticed looks very 2dish, really choppy. Also if you climb down a steep mountain you can sometimes see below the terrain.

Friendly squad AI CAN get distracted - however they catch up later on, it was probably because I climbed down a hill that they were afraid to get down to or something.

I couldn't exactly figure out how to use the tactics menu. By pressing Q you can access it but I'm not sure how you activate it.

Also I hadn't found a good way to heal allies because whenever you take a step they take a step as well so you can't really walk up to them.

But I've only played for 20 minutes so I know I might not have gotten a lot out of it and might not have learned a lot of things yet.

Another thought - explosions don't look as pretty as in ArmA 2, and I also don't like the colors of the smoke particles. Red smoke seems strangely unrealistic to me.

Alright what else... Ah, I found sneaking up fairly easy. When I got separated from my AI, I climbed a hill and snuck behind a small stone castle-like structure, and on the other side there were 3 AI shooting at my guys (which I knew). I easily peeked out and shot them down. I don't remember being able to do this in ArmA 2 so that was interesting.

It's a really nice addition to the FPS genre I'd say, but I can't say it's a full military simulator. I wonder what it's like when you're able to fly helicopters and such. At least the campaign isn't bugged up as far as I see.

Also will probably try co-op soon.

Anyway I'm out, there are my first 20 minute impressions.

I have had the pleasure of playing about with this game for 3 hours last night, I’ve made some FRAPS footage of various things and that will be going up to youtube tonight.

I have the PC version – 1900x1200 everything maxed and still getting 60-70 fps

PC Version - Editor - I found the editor to very easy to use and straightforward, it is not overly complex but with the use of LUA scripts I’m sure a lot more could be done with it.

Using the editor I placed most of the vehicles in game on the beach and ran round to have a look at them (exactly what I did with arma2 on release) I found some terrible LOD switching all caught on FRAPS (will post the movie later)

Multiplayer on the PC – I found this to be an odd affair, with no dedicated servers my pings were all over the place and what would be deemed to be unacceptable +200ms ping was the normal in games.

The game didn’t lag in MP which was good, and I actually managed to get 2 games of 16 vs 16, the MP modes need changing as it would very soon become boring, the whole no join in progress and dedicated servers is killing PC MP at the moment, I found I was just hitting the ‘auto join’ button to find some action, then you have to wait for the server to fill and everyone to be ready

I also tested the death animations, and found they were also limited, I remember someone placing an arma2 movie on Youtube showing death animations and complaining, so it’s a good comparison.

For me the vehicle driving model is just real bad, I found it very difficult to drive in a captured PLA jeep, the Helicopter flight model didn’t seem much better difficult to gage the helo (I need to fly more to give more information), overall I need to do a lot more driving to get the feel for them.

The M1A1 tank has dragster like qualities.

So far (I have only played 3 hours mind) I would suggest if you are thinking about getting this on the PC, then wait for the demo, if however you want this for the PS3 or Xbox360 I’d say go for it.

I will not be commenting too much on the gameplay as I think that is a personal opinion, but I will be looking very closely at the features etc of the game, and making movies as I go along.

I play MP, I’ve never actually played the missions/campaign in Arma2, so OFP-Dr in it’s current state is a let down, I’m sure the campaign might be good and with MP being so bad I actually might try it.

If anyone wants to ask questions fire away I’ll answer them later, if you want me to try something in game I’ll do it and takes shots/movie etc.