Sign in to follow this  
Sumrak

Namalsk island, v1.10

These things should be optional. I feel for people with low spec machines but I wouldn't want to see the High detail removed in favour of the low spec crowd.

You can use setTerrainGrid to lower the detail for the moment.

Eth

You missed my point wich was the feeling i had all along that people would. I said everywhere that im not against high detail, but im against NOT scaling that detail over the settings.

If i have a medium/low spec machine i should be able to set the terrain detail to LOW and the terrain should scale down enough for me to be able to play. What Namalsk failed a bit with was to do just that. It should have less clutter on LOW but as it is now the clutter is very dense/far drawn even on LOW wich IS the setting im having it on. You with a super PC can play on HIGH/VHIGH and thus KEEP your very high detail, but why does it need to be high detail on the LOW setting?

I would never tell addon makers to draw down on their detail just so people with sucky pc's can play, but im trying to get a point across that a map can be enjoyed by both super pc's and lower spec ones if the island makers can make the terrain detail settings (LOW-VHIGH) scale better.

Is it clearer now?

And huge thanks to Sumrak for actually looking into doing this! :)

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Fair comment but even the stock maps run better fps with foliage than this. And it would be scalable anyway. Its clear this map can be optimised to scale without much eye candy loss. Please don't word things as "in favor of low spec crowed" sounds a bit snooty & really not the point of what has been asked. A map should be optimised well if the FPS is only the foliage killing it then that would need optimising no matter what spec, currently the loss in fps JUST becuase of this isn't because we all have crap systems.

I do remember Schmalfelden map for arma1 actually releasing some versions of foilage, low med & high ... maybe that would be a good idea so then you choose what you want.

It wasn't meant to sound "snooty" but why should those of us with high spec rigs suffer? The fact is that the map runs fine for me and the 2 guys I was testing with all weekend. As I said, if you use setTerrainGrid via trigger or whatever, you can increase your performance considerably.

As Alex has explained his comment, there is no longer any ambiguity. I'm all for optimization so as long as detail settings are optional :)

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Nice island! Some improvements for AI (eg. paths, roads, buildingpos) and performance would be great! :)

It wasn't meant to sound "snooty" but why should those of us with high spec rigs suffer? The fact is that the map runs fine for me and the 2 guys I was testing with all weekend. As I said, if you use setTerrainGrid via trigger or whatever, you can increase your performance considerably.

As Alex has explained his comment, there is no longer any ambiguity. I'm all for optimization so as long as detail settings are optional :)

Eth

The point is no one would "suffer" if it was done right, hence the request, and I wasn't suggesting you are ARE snooty, I was saying that wording it in such a way can read that way and wouldn't be correct in what was being asked, that's all.

And yes details settings all the way should be optional, like for example the way the shmalfelden map was done, pretty sweet way for all specs.

but why does it need to be high detail on the LOW setting?

Is this not the case on "normal" too?

Bottom line is, if this can be sorted which clearly its being looked at, then I will be making missions all over this map its great :) But currently the scaling as Alex has pointed out does need that tweak. Cant wait for update version anyway :)

Edited by mrcash2009

The point is no one would "suffer" if it was done right, hence the request, and I wasn't suggesting you are ARE snooty, I was saying that wording it in such a way can read that way and wouldn't be correct in what was being asked, that's all.

And yes details settings all the way should be optional, like for example the way the shmalfelden map was done, pretty sweet way for all specs.

Is this not the case on "normal" too?

Bottom line is, if this can be sorted which clearly its being looked at, then I will be making missions all over this map its great :) But currently the scaling as Alex has pointed out does need that tweak. Cant wait for update version anyway :)

This is probably the best Island I've seen in my many years of playing OFP/ArmA. It is absolutely first rate.

Eth

I am with ethne, I love the longer draw distance. I agree it should probably be more adjustable, i think removing some of the detail is a better option than draw distance.

One thing I have noticed (and apologies if it's been mentioned, I did search but couldn't find anything) is that when I place a Sniper on the chimney or the crane in Norinsk, they absolutely will not engage things on the ground.

I've spawned as them and they have a clear LOS etc but yet they won't attack. I'm assuming this is a height thing.

Anyone know a way around it?

Cheers,

Eth

I never wanted to come across like i wanted for Sumrak to remove detail just so I can play. :) And im wondering though how it works when making an island? Because if it is as my first option (below) then i have nothing more to say. I mean that i wont tell Sumrak to lower the detail globally cause that is none of my business. It is his island, and higher spec PC's should have an island with lots of detail to enjoy! But if it works as my option nr 2 then the draw distance can be preserved for high spec PC's and lower spec ones through the terrain detail setting.

1. The draw distance of grass is entirely up to the engine, and island creators have no control over it TD settings wise?

OR

2. The island creator can set the grass draw distance himself to 100m @ vhigh, 75m @ high, 50m @ normal, and 25m @ low?

1. The draw distance of grass is entirely up to the engine, and island creators have no control over it TD settings wise?

OR

2. The island creator can set the grass draw distance himself to 100m @ vhigh, 75m @ high, 50m @ normal, and 25m @ low?

Its 2 but not as you say. YOu set a max draw distance for clutter and fading away is engine based.

I'd love to see a crashed & rusting Mi-6 hid somewhere, maybe as a makeshift base/camp.

When I go for a walkabout on this map I feel like I'm going to see bigfoot or some other creature....If i do see one, nobody's gonna believe me.

Betatest was succesfull, betatester report an fps increase :p

Fix for island will be soon. ( Only patch for namalsk.pbo )

;)

If this fix is just one pbo file how will it effect any missions made on the island so far.

Ive been working on porting ove a mission to run on this island and though the scripts are not mine Ive got a lot of time in getting things working ..

I have a VERY rought beta of te mission running my server right now.

The next version will require one add on (anti-cheat)..details of that to follow

great island

got me a new powerful graphic card got sick getting fps problems got this island running on very high settings no problems whatsoever

thanks for hard work!!!!!!

excellent catch, dlng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JXpjHkHLWc&feature=player_embedded

From having a closer look at the tall grass in this vid and me being the guy who made that particular model and texture, i have to say that it looks a bit tall, it was never meant to be scaled that high, is it supposed to be bull rush or something?, if so, then why not make it look like it?

go ahead and edit the texture if thats the type of grass you're going for.

http://www.coal.gov.uk/media/41461/Bull%20rush.jpg

This plants can be found under plants2\plants\p_phragmites...

even if it should be "p_typha" as that is the real name of the plant :)

...by the way, a very nice Island but my rig is a bit too low spec to handle it...:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JXpjHkHLWc&feature=player_embedded

From having a closer look at the tall grass in this vid and me being the guy who made that particular model and texture, i have to say that it looks a bit tall, it was never meant to be scaled that high, is it supposed to be bull rush or something?, if so, then why not make it look like it?

go ahead and edit the texture if thats the type of grass you're going for.

http://www.coal.gov.uk/media/41461/Bull%20rush.jpg

I know, i must find better texture for this type of plant ;)

This plants can be found under plants2\plants\p_phragmites...

even if it should be "p_typha" as that is the real name of the plant :)

Thanks, i try to look on this plant :)

...by the way, a very nice Island but my rig is a bit too low spec to handle it...:(

Don't worry, if will be all fine, i release at monday the performance fix, which improves clutter... so, you can try again with this fix ;)

This place is pretty cool, I checked out the area labeled AI and i think it would be perfect for a sci-fi (like, sci-fi sci-fi) thing!

Look, i know its just a bit of grass, but you must understand, being a modder yourself, that if someone uses a something made by someone else in their mod, you give them credit for it, that's fair right?, even if you change the colour's or edit the model, you still built upon someone else's work, and i dont mind if you do that, obviously if you edit it enough then it you can call it your own but in its current state?, no fucken way.

This place is pretty cool, I checked out the area labeled AI and i think it would be perfect for a sci-fi (like, sci-fi sci-fi) thing!

Yes, you can wait for campaign Namalsk Crisis, there will be all described about these objects (A1, A2) ;) Object A1 will be big problem for all :D

Look, i know its just a bit of grass, but you must understand, being a modder yourself, that if someone uses a something made by someone else in their mod, you give them credit for it, that's fair right?, even if you change the colour's or edit the model, you still built upon someone else's work, and i dont mind if you do that, obviously if you edit it enough then it you can call it your own but in its current state?, no fucken way.

Huh, if i understand well (my english is not good) :D That grass model is made by me. There is only this - all grass models using texture by SenChi, that's all. I add this point to ToDo list and i fix it :) it is not easy search nice texture for this type of bush :rolleyes:

I still didnt find underground lab... Argh you hide it well my friend lol.