Sign in to follow this  
Sumrak

Namalsk island, v1.10

I love your island Sumrak, and I'm probably your biggest fan out there!

Just a few points of critique (constructive, I hope):

- I think you should remove the "ghost atmospheric sounds" around the buildings. Let the mission makers add their ghosts, hearing it continously just makes people immune, and kills the atmosphere I think.

- The new grass density is a bit on the low side for my taste. I see it is better against AI as it allows for a better view, but I would like a higher density, maybe a bit shorter than on previous releases due to player vs AI issues, but it just looked gorgeous.

- Some of the Stalker buildings don't cut it anymore. Next to the beautiful Arma buildings some look really out of place. It would certanily help if it would be possible to bake some shadows on the textures, although I know that is a very time consuming task. Maybe it is time to seek out some modern replacements. Namalsk started out as a sort of STALKER project, but has now proved it is something else, it is stand alone now!

Thats it, apart from that I love the new higher res mesh and the best island ever has just gotten better. Incredible! I also like that the sky has now been cleaned up, again let the mission makers decide if they require a grey sky.

Thanks!

Edited by malkekoen
Spelling

I would have to echo Malkekoen's point about the atmospheric sounds.

Truth be told, I actually downloaded some wilderness landscape noises from freesound.org and replaced the really loud creepy ones, so that I could make regular missions with it.

The sounds are neat, but they're very distracting when they're constantly playing, and they lose their atmospheric effect.

One thing I would ask is; do you think it would be possible to have a namalsk version that has a typical solar traverse instead of the more arctic one the island currently has? (the sun barely even comes up at around 12 noon).

So we can have some full overhead daylight for custom missions?

Edited by Pd3

can we still use this map without having dayz? cause i have alot of missions and campaigns for this map but i don't want to install dayz to use it

Uh yeah. This island was released way before DayZ was.

i have alot of missions and campaigns for this map

What campaigns? I know only 1 campaign on Namalsk - Namalsk crisis. Maybe some links? ;)

I love your island Sumrak, and I'm probably your biggest fan out there!

Just a few points of critique (constructive, I hope):

- I think you should remove the "ghost atmospheric sounds" around the buildings. Let the mission makers add their ghosts, hearing it continously just makes people immune, and kills the atmosphere I think.

- The new grass density is a bit on the low side for my taste. I see it is better against AI as it allows for a better view, but I would like a higher density, maybe a bit shorter than on previous releases due to player vs AI issues, but it just looked gorgeous.

- Some of the Stalker buildings don't cut it anymore. Next to the beautiful Arma buildings some look really out of place. It would certanily help if it would be possible to bake some shadows on the textures, although I know that is a very time consuming task. Maybe it is time to seek out some modern replacements. Namalsk started out as a sort of STALKER project, but has now proved it is something else, it is stand alone now!

Thats it, apart from that I love the new higher res mesh and the best island ever has just gotten better. Incredible! I also like that the sky has now been cleaned up, again let the mission makers decide if they require a grey sky.

Thanks!

- I may/may not remove them soon :D (we will see)

- That will be because of changed surface mask, mainly on Tara island, there is a bit smaller grass density, I have this in mind and will try to do something with that.

- You probably mean mainly my models (not stalker ones) - I am still trying to improve my modelling / graphics skills, but it is hard task to manage all the things around models (my priority was/is mainly to make them working correctly in the actual gameplay)

One thing I would ask is; do you think it would be possible to have a namalsk version that has a typical solar traverse instead of the more arctic one the island currently has? (the sun barely even comes up at around 12 noon).

So we can have some full overhead daylight for custom missions?

This is doable through the island config - but that means it would be changed for all missions ever created on Namalsk => all missions could have different light conditions because of this change (can't do that at this stage).

can we still use this map without having dayz? cause i have alot of missions and campaigns for this map but i don't want to install dayz to use it

Of course, you dont have to own DayZMod to run Namalsk Crisis.

It doesn't say anything about DayZ in the opening topic post, so I'm not sure why'd you assume this.

Remember what the section of these forums is? ARMA 2 & OA - ADDONS & MODS: COMPLETE

- I may/may not remove them soon :D (we will see)

I also echo this request. This is literally the ONLY gripe I have about Namalsk. Would be much much, more useful if it was simply a mission parameter instead.

- Some of the Stalker buildings don't cut it anymore. Next to the beautiful Arma buildings some look really out of place. It would certanily help if it would be possible to bake some shadows on the textures, although I know that is a very time consuming task. Maybe it is time to seek out some modern replacements.

don't worry, in next update i hope we all will see those buildings improved, with proper shadows, new shaders etc. ;) i am sure we will, I already asked Sumrak to help him and do this job for him cause I also love Namalsk mod and I will fix their look,

I just do not know damage-effect on buildings which is in Arma2 engine (wall destruction)

Edited by vilas

some of the seal team six campaigns is on namals and i think soldiers of valor have a few namalsk missions aswel

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

cool it was just it says dayz under requirements and the name of it is dayz namalsk so you got me worried there ;-)

if anybody is interested, i ported Wasteland to this wonderful Island. We do a test-run tonight. if anybody is interested , pm me in here or add me on skype : poldee187 .. And thx sumrak for the gas station info, i managed to make em work via script..

Cheers R.

Awesome Island and addon Sumrak. But Pretty scary bloodsuckers I must say. They scared me to death when one came up towards me :coop: :greetings:

I'm getting this error :

No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWorlds/namalsk/Clutter/bis_SmallPicea.swLighting'.

First to tell you THANK YOU for this great map and great mod! I enjoyed playing campaign and every else mission on this map! It's one of my best to play with! ;) Now, i'm making one SP mission for ArmA 3, and i making it on Namalsk... As you know, i needed to delete some pbo's to make it playible... But, do I have permission to put that SP on this forum? To share it with community... It's your map... ;)