Sign in to follow this  
Sumrak

Namalsk island, v1.10

I noticed that your map renders grass much further away than other maps.

Can i replicate this?

@CombatComm

In BIS-Buildings are special path and positions. If you are commander you can give your AI the command to walk on for example 2. floor position 6 on northside... you can do it just by holding your mouse on a special place on the building... In buildings, made by the com. these path/positions are missing... if you tell your AI to move to this house, they will just stand in front of it.... If you don´t understand what i am talking about, just watch this video

15cfa4-4.jpg

Regards Culti

Yet another great mod from the modding community!!!

I am having the grass issue as well, but I leave it on just to enjoy the scenery.

Also, I noticed when viewing objects at a distance through binos or scope there seem to be some texture flickering.

Thanks again!!! super map.:yay:

nice work, how about some small maps with real world locations as well.

these would be good for mp firefights as a setting.

this map is amazing, i used the cold weather module along with the nims weather mod and its simply amazing, kills my fps though, but its worth it, hopefully we will get a performance patch in 1.5 , so i can enjoy all these new islands coming out.

Absolutely first rate work. I'm totally impressed.

EXCELLENT!

Eth

Fantastic work mate, sadly fps is a bit low for me. getting a new pc on the 12though so hopefully i can at least run this game on high without much lag :)

excellent looking Island samrak, and snow :p. fantastic, cant wait to DL finishes :)

second floor? can i say resident evil arma2 style?

btw, i noticed those two tunnel entrances near the raylroads, man those shouldn't be closed, those could be entrances leading to towns(as they are named like that now...), but in the middle of the tunnels, it could be underground bases or something, just an idea...

love the map!

P.S. Namalsk + NIM dynamic weather mods = awesomeness

Yep, that would be good, but, making "underground" it's difficult, because you must make a big hole into terrain and start mask that hole with objects :rolleyes: :-D

I try NIM weather modules too :-P

-rF- Cultivator:

Yes, that is on my plan - island is finished (i mean objects are on place), but objects are still in development, so, i want paths on buildings on 100%. With this i can still fix small issues on some objects..

nubbin77:

I don't, i have same system as Bis, but, i can in further versions add some misc objects into editor.

rabs:

Maybe, i tested it, and i set distance little higher than normal, but, i don't had performance drop..

So, but, this is interresting, i tested right now change clutterGrid, i try to play with this number :-)

EDIT: This will be maybe, what i need, i try to change this number to 1.5 (there was some visual change, but, no high) and i get +8 fps :D i try another numbers and i see.. but, if was that big increase +8 fps on my laptop, on normal pc will be more than good :-)

Dissaifer:

Also, I noticed when viewing objects at a distance through binos or scope there seem to be some texture flickering.

I know, i try to fix it :)

diveplane:

nice work, how about some small maps with real world locations as well.

Maybe, but, my first goal is finish Nightstalkers: Shadow of Namalsk mod :-) then i continue with my other projects ;)

Edited by Sumrak

EXCELLENT map! It certainly sets the standards other maps will be judged by!

The only thing I hope gets addressed in next release is the walls around the city. The AI path is a weak point in arma2 and getting AI to go inside city has been diffucult.So please remove walls.

Aside from that great map. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Great map! However I have a question:

Is there any way to put units underground at say, AII?

This map is very nice indeed, but the first map I can honestly say brings my rig to a obvious fps struggle fest ... which is a shame (for me).

Wow, it's not often that I'm impressed with a fan made island for Flashpoint, ArmA or ArmA 2 but this and Dreide Island are my favourites. This island is good enough to become "official" ArmA 2 stuff, when the small problems are worked out.

I hope there'll be warfare versions hosted in the future. I would LOVE to play multiplayer warfare on this great map!!! I'm afraid now it'll just sit on my harddrive waiting to be explored once a year.

Great job, absolutely fantastic map!

Id just like to add by switching terrain detail to OFF I get the fps I would expect, upping to normal (as I do an any other map) is far too much of FPS hit on this map. And that's 1 single man as me simply walking around.

Anyway to optimise the foliage and grass would be a bonus. It just seems quite an extreme fps hit for just grass and foliage, yet all else I have high and is fine.

But ... to keep things on a positive this map is very professionally done (apart for the optimisation of foliage :) ) I just cant play on it with low terrain because that looks like a 2001 game :)

Edited by mrcash2009

Scaling the terrain detail settings would be superb if possible. Noticed that other new map also have very long draw distance on the grass even at low TD.

Now its very very nice that we get islands with long draw distance of grass, but the low setting should have only short draw distance and then scale up to longer and longer. As it is now on the 2 latest islands the grass is really lush and reach far from the player even at "low", and to us that need to play grass on low/normal it just gets too much FPS loss.

I really love and greatly appreciate new islands and i hope the grass scaling can be thaught of a bit extra if possible so more people can enjoy it - with at least some grass. :)

Alex

Very good job at this map.

With my team (Force Spéciale Française / French Special Force), we started to edit missions on this map.

it's a pleasure to play on.

We just noticed a small problem with the height of the grass. Is there going to be an update to reduce the height of the grass ?

Hoping to see new projects from you.

CaptainBravo:

The only thing I hope gets addressed in next release is the walls around the city. The AI path is a weak point in arma2 and getting AI to go inside city has been diffucult.So please remove walls.

I try to make another entrances, maybe some broken walls with paths.. but, i want to keep walls as its possible.

Hamm:

Yes, you must use (put these code into soldier initalization)

this SetPos [(GetPos this) select 0,(GetPos this) select 1,(GetPos this select 2)+height]
, height = number, it is height above ground, so, i don't know exactly number for place unit into underground, so, you must try..

mrcash2009, Alex72:

I know, without grass its like ofp :D i'm trying to get higher fps with clutter, currently i have a new build and i waiting for response by betatester. ;)

PorkyJack:

huh, i never had own server, but, i think, you must unpack on server and run with mod parametres (default is -mod=Nightstalkers)..

[F.S.F] Guiguit59:

We just noticed a small problem with the height of the grass. Is there going to be an update to reduce the height of the grass ?

For now, i keep grass, i have 5 months to thinking and maybe, i create some another models of clutter, which will be better.. as i said, i see what i can do...

Thanks, Sumrak ;)

I know, without grass its like ofp i'm trying to get higher fps with clutter, currently i have a new build and i waiting for response by betatester.

Thank you very much Sumrak for looking into it! :)

Alex

Scaling the terrain detail settings would be superb if possible. Noticed that other new map also have very long draw distance on the grass even at low TD.

Now its very very nice that we get islands with long draw distance of grass, but the low setting should have only short draw distance and then scale up to longer and longer. As it is now on the 2 latest islands the grass is really lush and reach far from the player even at "low", and to us that need to play grass on low/normal it just gets too much FPS loss.

I really love and greatly appreciate new islands and i hope the grass scaling can be thaught of a bit extra if possible so more people can enjoy it - with at least some grass. :)

Alex

These things should be optional. I feel for people with low spec machines but I wouldn't want to see the High detail removed in favour of the low spec crowd.

You can use setTerrainGrid to lower the detail for the moment.

Eth

Thanks for the news about the clutter / grass issue. That's the biggest problem with me and this island right now.

Yeah Sumrak excellent work.

it seems this may have been mentioned (clutter thing), trees over the snow covered hills - could you make wide open paths of no trees pls? like a snowy mountain that has trees sections removed for skiing etc (but this is for tanks ;) ) - for my missions :bounce3:

2 things;

-Can we have like marsh's, wetlands (marshlands!) lol idk.. i see u hav marsh in map, but its not wet! :s (or am i missing it)

--And the Tunnel, is there a tunnel? can we have a tunnel?

Dont worry about the clutter of grass, just make a lawn mower addon :D

--- i am currently making some missions for this island---

Edited by viibez

These things should be optional. I feel for people with low spec machines but I wouldn't want to see the High detail removed in favour of the low spec crowd.

You can use setTerrainGrid to lower the detail for the moment.

Eth

Fair comment but even the stock maps run better fps with foliage than this. And it would be scalable anyway. Its clear this map can be optimised to scale without much eye candy loss. Please don't word things as "in favor of low spec crowed" sounds a bit snooty & really not the point of what has been asked. A map should be optimised well if the FPS is only the foliage killing it then that would need optimising no matter what spec, currently the loss in fps JUST becuase of this isn't because we all have crap systems.

I do remember Schmalfelden map for arma1 actually releasing some versions of foilage, low med & high ... maybe that would be a good idea so then you choose what you want.

Edited by mrcash2009