Sign in to follow this  
The_Angry_Canadian

Why dont you use the ingame voice chat ?

Just curious.

Everyone says get on teamspeak, blablabla.

Then you get on teamspeak and you just ear everyone talking at the same time.

Everything is included in the ingame voice chat, global, vechicle, side, etc. What did I missed about TeamSpeak that is so important ?

#1 When Players talk on voice chat it is so low I can't hear them where as on Teamspeak I can hear clear as a bell and if needed can adjust volume or mute when I need my ears in a critical situation.

#1 When Players talk on voice chat it is so low I can't hear them where as on Teamspeak I can hear clear as a bell and if needed can adjust volume or mute when I need my ears in a critical situation.

If you take the "Radio" slidder up in the audio option in Arma, you will hear them just fine. I dont know about muting the channel however.

I think it's because there still seems to be a problem with the built in VON causing crashes on servers.

Know what you mean about TS. It had it's day before VOIP in game chat became available but it's kinda obsolete except for chatting now. Some say it's clearer but TBH , when built in VOIP is working I haven't noticed much difference and built in VOIP is just so much more convenient.

Just curious.

Everything is included in the ingame voice chat, global, vechicle, side, etc. What did I missed about TeamSpeak that is so important ?

we use ingame and TS with TS being #1. Ingame is good with "direct" so you can get somebodys attention ect. But overall its only good with a few players, seems to crash some servers, and or gets broken up.

On the server where I usually play, we use TS and we have been experimenting with Mumble.

Probably a silly question but is there a way of knowing if VON is activated on a certain server? Because I would really like to try it.

On the server where I usually play, we use TS and we have been experimenting with Mumble.

Probably a silly question but is there a way of knowing if VON is activated on a certain server? Because I would really like to try it.

Some servers disable it ?

Yes, according to what I read in several forums, not just some but many or even most servers do. What kklownboy stated above is often given as a reason.

Connecting to a server at random, pressing the push-to-talk key and disconnecting if there's no reply is not very polite, is it?

on the server that i used to play in, they use TS for briefing and to organize guys once in the game the built in feature is used.

Having AI comms on the same slider as player comms is a total pain. If you have a hard time hearing a player, you crank it up. Then when your AI starts spamming trash comms, it blows your speakers/headphones/eardrums.

I wish the VON were better, but there are simply too many issues with it's use. It lags. It's often muffled or cut off. Causes crashes for some people.

We use Vent. Hear everyone clearly, perfectly, instantly. We tried the VON and it just didn't cut it.

ymmv

because VON crashes game servers. We used it with teamspeak and the server crashed almost once every mission. Ever since we've disabled VON and use only TS and haven't had one crash since. They need to fix that shit ASAP because like what someone said before, comms discipline is a must or it's just 10 people talking over each other

I havent experienced any VON problems(not related to bad mics etc) after they fixed it.

And the direct chat + vehicle chat is invaluable in practicality and immersion.

For clans, it doesn't necessarily have to replace teamspeak, but it is a great supplement to it.

Edited by sparks50

I never experienced those crashes so far. I'm not playing that often however. Like "No Use For A Name" said, my main issue with Teamspeak is the continuous chatter that is really annoying. I see a lot of people ending in different channels. From what I remember there was a couple of keys you could bind to teamspeak to switch channels, I guess I should try that.

Exactly.

I havent experienced any VON problems(not related to bad mics etc) after they fixed it.

For clans, it doesn't necessarily have to replace teamspeak, but it is a great supplement to it.

did they fix it in a beta patch? Every time we tried to use VON on a dedicated server (especially the vehicle channel) it would crash the server.

Cause I like to keep my hearing instead of getting it destroyed by the freaking AI giving their radio messages. So I prefer TS so I can keep my radio volume down.

Maybe if they would add a separate volume button for VoIP then maybe I would use it.

Just curious.

Public TS is just a mess. A few server even have rules as if you do not use their teamspeak, they will ban you :rolleyes:

I rarely use the ingame voicechat, due to the crappy sound.

Cuz I play single player exclusively, and Robo, Scarlet (gay nickname wtf), and the DMR guy dont really give a shit whatever I say vocally. Course I fear MP cuz I fear douches seeing my ghillie suit in bright pink, this isn't exactly VAC 2 we're talking here.

VON in Arma2 is a disgrace, BF2 has had it working excellent for 5years!! BIS with another half-finished effort.

Having AI comms on the same slider as player comms is a total pain. If you have a hard time hearing a player, you crank it up. Then when your AI starts spamming trash comms, it blows your speakers/headphones/eardrums.

I wish the VON were better, but there are simply too many issues with it's use. It lags. It's often muffled or cut off. Causes crashes for some people.

We use Vent. Hear everyone clearly, perfectly, instantly. We tried the VON and it just didn't cut it.

ymmv

Exactly.

Because we always end up with someone screaming obscenities or spamming sound over the chat. Do not want.

Bear in mind that by the last ArmA 1 patch VON was working perfectly and was excellent, at least in my experience. So the technology is clearly there, it's just not working properly yet in ArmA 2.

And Nazul, unless I'm completely forgetting BF2 doesn't have all the different channels - group, side, vehicle, etc. - and certainly doesn't have direct, the most impressive part of BIS's VON. Clearly it's not a fair comparison.

I think it's such an important part of the game that it's pretty inexcusable for BIS not to have it working for release though.