FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

They pushed it back to post release as they're "fixing stuff".

Btw, I'm the creator of that comparison list. Full thread version here: http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380389

Most of the comparisons you made on that list wouldnt be valid unless you had actually played the game, which at this stage, I assume you haven't.

Modding it, essentially without an SDK, sounds like a world of pain.

Interesting comparison Ryujin, I agree with some of your points and it is also true that ArmA 2 is not perfect.

Vehicles:

OFP2 = Real fire control

Are you sure about this ? For which vehicles ?

AI

ArmA =

OFP2 =

OFP2 win

It is difficult to say I think, as ArmA 2 has been released for a few months and OFP2 has not been released yet. The AI in ArmA 2 is 50/50 : sometimes it gives a good performance sometimes a bad one. It also depends where you are looking at during the misssion lol.

The AI in ArmA 2 is somewhat unpredictable (good for replayability and the feeling of danger) and it can shoot the same target 2 times in a row. In DR's videos the AI looked very predictable and it seemed they tried their best not to hit the player. In the end, I don't think DR's AI will be flawless or ground breaking. It will be different.

Infantry weapons:

ArmA =

OFP2 =

Slight draw / minor OFP2 win

I disagree, you can carry 2 main weapons in DR (machine gun + sniper rifle) which is a big arcade feature imho (one man army syndrome).

Amount and realism of content (troops/vehicles/weapons)

ArmA =

OFP2 =

Minor ArmA win

I could be wrong but I think that ArmA 2 has much much more units and objects available for the player in the mission editor. This is a huge advantage.

Immersion

ArmA =

OFP2 =

This is probably a ArmA win...Overall this is a pretty subjective topic.

I disagree, immersion in ArmA 2 seems to be much better than what I have seen in DR. Suppressive fire has no effect on the player's aim in DR. Also, no freeaim, no freelook, no lean, i heard you can only run (not walk) on the PC version too.

I will add another point of comparison,

Theater of war:

ArmA 2 = Chernarus

OFP2 = Skira

Easy win for Chernarus : much more credible and interesting (infrastructure, history, factions...). Skira looks very generic and uninspired.

In the end, I am really looking forward to DR and I will download the demo but my main problem with DR are the console limitations :tether and small maps. As an OFP vet, I think it feels a bit 'castrated' and I don't know if I will be able to look beyond those limitations.

Are you sure about this ? For which vehicles ?

I was interested by that too, and have been digging around for a while, and I cant find ANY evidence of real fire control. There is no laser range finders, no lead/lock capability, and theres no evidence of the reticules/graticules being calibrated for their ammunition too.

Suffice to say ArmA2 lacks this too, so its more of a draw than a win to either...

Easy win for Chernarus : much more credible and interesting (infrastructure, history, factions...). Skira looks very generic and uninspired.

Don't forget Skira is very empty too. Havent seen anything larger than a farm yet, people are raving about how DR's CQB is going to be better, but if there are no built up areas, how do you CQB?

No offense to Ryujin, but Viiiper isn't the most reliable and unbiased source ever. And also, I think there has been a few things to show that the developers view of "as customizable as OFP" wasn't the same as ours. We were thinking total conversions and using only the engine, while they were thinking of the mission editor. There was a maybe at best for modding tools. And even if you can make apis, I have a hard time believing that you'll be able to make more than a few models, I have my doubts that making a custom island is going to be possible.

And all that boasting about streaming technology and then making the player trapped in a box...undermines the point of streaming technology and makes you wonder about it.

And I've yet to see more than 10 chars on screen at once.

Can anyone from the DR fanbase really say anything relieable about the release (PC) version of DR? Or is just wild guessing, rumors and hearsay?

Simple solution if someone is interested: wait till the demo is released and judge it on your own + read some non-praising & serious comments about DR.

Don't forget Skira is very empty too. Havent seen anything larger than a farm yet, people are raving about how DR's CQB is going to be better, but if there are no built up areas, how do you CQB?

Open the editor and place 100 locked M1's parked close to eachother, unless they also have a limitation that doesnt allow the placement of more than 4 tanks...

Im not entirely sure what the point in having helicopters is if the furthest you can possibly travel inside the box is 2km. It will end up with choppers getting shot down before they can take off.

Especially considering that Sniper Rifles are now a form of AAA :p I wonder if they can destroy tanks too...

@ Ryujin

I know You're comparing features, but without actually playing DR, I think the comparison is somewhat, well...futile.

Not meant as a flame, I see You post in very positive and polite manner. :)

Anyway, I will make up my own mind whether to buy DR or not when (PC) demo comes out.

@Everyone

What's all the fuss "demo coming out after release date" about?

As if you all bougt every game you own right on release date. :D

I did that only with three games: OFP, ArmA, Arma 2. :p ;)

The objects and terrain are loaded only when needed. This allows you to create enormous and highly detailed environments.

The same technology is used in ArmA and ARMA 2.

ah i see, thanks.... so what would it be that is so special about OFPDR's streaming tech?

so what would it be that is so special about OFPDR's streaming tech?

Can only guess that its the first time its been seen on console? I know PC's have been doing it for a while know (flight sims, ArmA, usually only in sims)

Otherwise its just more of the same marketing BS... :rolleyes:

I guess i would trust PC Games this time (after all they didnt really lie about the bug fest in ARMA2), this seems to be a good game, just not "operation flashpoint", eventhrough they carry the same name

Ive got to stop reading that comparison thread its killing my brain. Why do they flat out ignore every good point about ARMA? That BF Bad Company clone is not going to come anywhere close to ARMA 2 in scale, realism, community, anything. And Viiiper..... What a joke.

I honestly think when its released and plays like a BF game, everyone will defend that, and start saying that realism doesnt equal fun, the balance of realism/arcade is better etc... Anything to try and push the fact ARMA2 is easily the most impressive military simulation on the market. Period.

The mod love there is just.... strange. Dedication to Helios threads every few pages, with 10 plus pages of people saying "thank you helios for lying to us about a console demo, about MP sizes, about MP map sizes, about a true free roam game, about number of weapons, vehicles, about coop tether's, about numerous other failures in the game". Strange people for sure.

Sorry it just really irritates me because i already know that people on the consoles are going to get this game, and think its the pinnacle of realism, realize its pretty average, and not want to play a "realistic" military game again. All without trying ARMA2.

@Everyone

What's all the fuss "demo coming out after release date" about?

As if you all bougt every game you own right on release date. :D

I did that only with three games: OFP, ArmA, Arma 2. :p ;)

If we go with logical thinking releasing the demo before the game release date can only improve sales because people already have a general idea about the game, so the fact that they are delaying the demo looks somewhat suspicious. I'm not buying the excuse that they are focusing on the full game, a big company like CM can easily work on both the demo and the full game. So if they don't see the demo as something to increase initial sales than it means that they have others interests. My own conspiracy theory :D is that they want to be sure that all those fanboys on CM forums(90% of users) will blindly buy the game in the first day because they can't wait for the demo. After all, why release a demo before and risk to change peoples minds if you already convinced them with cool eye-candy videos.

This won't affect me since I never buy games before playing the demo but its rather sad to see big companies making money on fools expence.

Edited by BogdanM

Haha, that Viiiiper guy made the decission for me: I dont want to be part of that community in any way... If they hire moderators like that, who knows what else CM has/had up their sleeves.

Its funny how OFP: DRice has gone in my opinion: First I thought: Oh its gonna be another crappy arcade CM game. But when the preview videos came I changed my mind and started to watch the progress. From that point, well... You all know it has gone downwards. (for the serious gamer at least)

As many said, its a pitty its no competition for BIS. Might have been a good kick to their asses to fix the so apparent bugs :P

My own conspiracy theory :D is that they want to be sure that all those fanboys on CM forums(90% of users) will blindly buy the game in the first day because they can't wait for the demo. After all, why release a demo before and risk to change peoples minds if you already convinced them with cool eye-candy videos.

Hahaha, thats so cynical even I would have struggled to come up with it! I like it tho :D

If we go with logical thinking releasing the demo before the game release date can only improve sales because people already have a general idea about the game, so the fact that they are delaying the demo looks somewhat suspicious. I'm not buying the excuse that they are focusing on the full game, a big company like CM can easily work on both the demo and the full game. So if they don't see the demo as something to increase initial sales than it means that they have others interests. My own conspiracy theory :D is that they want to be sure that all those fanboys on CM forums(90% of users) will blindly buy the game in the first day because they can't wait for the demo. After all, why release a demo before and risk to change peoples minds if you already convinced them with cool eye-candy videos.

This won't affect me since I never buy games before playing the demo but its rather sad to see big companies making money on fools expence.

Exactly my thoughts BogdanM, You even stole my conspiracy theory. :D

That's why I'm not buying DR before trying the demo. I will wait for the demo as long as it takes, not that DR interests me very much...I'll try it just for the heck of it.

And then only if I like it as close as I love ArmA2, I'll buy it.

Not much sense in buying something you don't like when you have so much fun with another game already, is there? ;)

To be blunt, dispute over Operation Flashpoint name doesn't bother me that much, as much as I like BIS.

What interests me, however, is making up my own mind.

EDIT:

Hm, or do you say: making up my mind on my own?

Edited by Kernriver

Bad sound quality? Presenters with slurry speech? Somebody keeps moving away from the mic? What is it man, TELL US!

Haha, that Viiiiper guy made the decission for me: I dont want to be part of that community in any way... If they hire moderators like that, who knows what else CM has/had up their sleeves.

Its funny how OFP: DRice has gone in my opinion: First I thought: Oh its gonna be another crappy arcade CM game. But when the preview videos came I changed my mind and started to watch the progress. From that point, well... You all know it has gone downwards. (for the serious gamer at least)

As many said, its a pitty its no competition for BIS. Might have been a good kick to their asses to fix the so apparent bugs :P

They just hire the worst fanboys posting on their boards as moderators.

Bad sound quality? Presenters with slurry speech? Somebody keeps moving away from the mic? What is it man, TELL US!

Oh, just the points mentioned before but I just listend to it myself and they really talked alot about AI not even using roads...One time there was a lake in the way and the AI just tried to drive through it...