Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Just an update from viiipers post

"if you wanted a mirror of OFP1 then your going to be disappointed if you wanted a War game that placed you in the middle of a realistic hot zone or special operations mission then your going to get it"

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381002&page=2

That's it now we know its nothing like OFP, just as alot of us had suspected all along

Edited by vasmkd

New Trailer:

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,695830/Operation-Flashpoint-Dragon-Rising-Gold-Meldung-neuer-Trailer-und-Screenshots/PC/Video/

(They're also reporting some new screenshots with "ugly textures")

There is most definitely pre-renders mixed in with the real-time scenes in the video. You can see dramatic changes in the details between scenes.

There is most definitely pre-renders mixed in with the real-time scenes in the video. You can see dramatic changes in the details between scenes.

Sorry but I must be blind. I'm not seeing this.

Look at the soldiers, vehicles buildings, particularly the chopper.

I don't know how old this video is but CM has been doing it since the beginning

first it was entire videos pre-rendered which is to be expected as it was still work in progress but now it's a mix of realtime and pre-rendered with quick cuts

no real chance to see the difference unless you watch in HD and pause.

Kinda helps to download the video in HD and watch it fullscreen and pause

but theres a big difference in fine details from scene to scene.

The subject of pre-renders has been discussed on the CM forum

but threads that point it out when the video claims to be realtime

get deleted.

Heres an example of a video....

Look at the poly-count on the vehicles, the textures.. unless this a really really old build

it looks nothing like newer videos let alone the same game.

Seems CM is actively blocking users who post anything on their videos regarding the limited map sizes and tether

OFP2 has gone gold so expect bans and thread deleted to go into overdrive.

CM does this with most or all of their game videos

watch the live videos also. big difference.

screenshots they post also have pre-renders mixed in.

Edited by jblackrupert

Woah, the suppressed AI actually look suppressed! I know it's a bit lame, but at least there's some sort of visual to acompany being suppressed. That's an awsome feature missing in ArmA2.

Look at the soldiers, vehicles buildings, particularly the chopper.

Thats all right for me if it results in a better and more stable framerate.

the damned cannons on the helicopters don't even spin.

Think of every single game - shooter, vehicle, arcade, simulator - that featured an oversized rotary machine gun and think how many of them didn't animate the barrels spinning. None that I can recall. This is like when FPSs from the nineties had machine guns with static ammo belts or no cartridge ejection because it was too much for the engine to handle.

This just infers so much about the quality of the game it's distressing. Either their attention detail is so lacking they honestly didn't notice such a thing (and who knows what else was missed), or the engine is so taxed they had to cut that simple animation.

And it's not exactly looking pretty to begin with, compared to any next-gen action game. And that's taking into account the scale. interiors are bare. The parts with the choppers looked on par with Battlefield 2. Please don't mistake me for some fanboy who wants CM to "die die die :mad:" because I view them as some competition to Arma. I was very disappointed with Arma2 and was rooting for OFP2 to deliver a decent game.

I posted on the official forums. Look at the hilarity that ensued:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381179

Watch for the Moderator posting and how everyone blacklashes against him when he tries to troll the thread.

From the above-linked thread:

the game really should be played by people with imagination so they can fill in the blanks lol.

This man will go far in life.

I posted on the official forums. Look at the hilarity that ensued:

Watch for the Moderator posting and how everyone blacklashes against him when he tries to troll the thread.

1. I cant believe I just wasted 5 mins of my life reading all that drivel.

2. Despite that, it is amusing to once again see viiiiiiiper totally miss the point of the post during his pro-dr trolling. If I was a higher-up at codemasters I would be ashamed of that forum and the "staff" that run it.

LOL so going to the other site and posting like that isn't trolling? So the game is missing an animation. Something else to add to the list of disappointments.

Isn't it great that A2 is perfect and isn't missing anything right? You're all going to flame me now but please have some common sense!

Isn't it great that A2 is perfect and isn't missing anything right? You're all going to flame me now but please have some common sense!

Have fun trying to find anyone around here who thinks ArmA 2 is perfect.

I think it's just that as of late, CM has been announcing more and more problems with DR, and thus the negative sentiment. If they were announcing good stuff, there would be a more positive response. Despite what some would believe, most of us here would have liked CM to make a good milsim.

Codemasters hyped the game up, promised a lot. Now they can't deliver and it's backfiring at them.

While this is a very small and fairly unoticable animation, it's hardly any reason to deny the lack of it.

In that ridiculous way of handling it I felt the need..

testnhh.jpg

That is all. Now I'll exile myself from this thread.

Edited by colossus

I can't see ofp2 comparing even remotely to arma 2.

just the vast difference in numbers of usable vehicles alone, completely gimps their potential.

I mean they literally have like half the amount of usable vehicles and no jets at all.

Arma 2 however suffers from the same kind of bugs arma 1 suffers from.

I think ofp2 will be far more stable, but far less content.

and in the war of the games, content tends to win.

I know I won't be buying it anyway.

LOL so going to the other site and posting like that isn't trolling? So the game is missing an animation. Something else to add to the list of disappointments.

A2 is not perfect and the problems are clearly highlighted and discussed on these forums.

The only reason that negativity about A2 is deleted on these forums is if it is presented in an inappropriate or belligerent fashion.

The same cannot be said for the CM forums. Some of the mods are so blatantly unobjective, and for lack of a better nonexistent word, "fanboyish". I don't know if CM even realises (or cares) that these guys are doing way more harm than good.

DR loses features daily and is now showing itself for what I suspect it always was. A tactical shooter that was designed with consoles in mind that is being ported to the PC (with a couple of "throw away" enhancements).

Does that mean it will be bad? I don't know. Does that mean the the fans have been misled? From the title on down :rolleyes:

Eth

PS : I don't like the fact that CM used the OFP name but with that exception aside, I would have still rather had a good game (that was real competition for A2) than this watered down console schlock any day of the week.

Edited by BangTail

The same cannot be said for the CM forums. Some of the mods are so blatantly unobjective, and for lack of a better nonexistent word, "fanboyish". I don't know if CM even realises (or cares) that these guys are doing way more harm than good.

That is exactly how I would describe the BIS mods as well. Remember when the claimed several video game sites were involved in a conspiracy against them because they didn't give 100% positive previews? Or when that polish (or was it german?) review came out listing all the bugs in the campaign and they claimed none of those existed and lambasted them as unprofessional, right up until forum members got their hands on copies.

I don't like the fact that CM used the OFP name but with that exception aside

It is their name to use. They own the franchise fair and square.

That is exactly how I would describe the BIS mods as well. Remember when the claimed several video game sites were involved in a conspiracy against them because they didn't give 100% positive previews? Or when that polish (or was it german?) review came out listing all the bugs in the campaign and they claimed none of those existed and lambasted them as unprofessional, right up until forum members got their hands on copies.

It is their name to use. They own the franchise fair and square.

I've NEVER seen a mod here (since OFP was released) behave like the mods on the CM forums, EVER. I've seen bias towards A2 but never the unobjective ranting a la CM mods. Further, threads that paint A2 in a negative light are not deleted unless they are formulated in a rude or inappropriate fashion.

Yes, it is their name to use dishonestly, "fair and square" as you say. In the end, it's only going to hurt them when the masses figure out that DR =! OFP (which is happening on an hourly basis JFYI). It should have been called "Warfare : Dragon Rising" or something to that effect - End of confusion!

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Past caring really, only shock left is that PC dedicated servers files don't exist and join in progress is out.

I'll still buy this for the PC, the loss of the editor meant I no longer wanted it for the PS3.

Expect to see lots of youtube movies once it's released, I feel the urge for some comparisons (unfair I know as Arma2 and OFP-DR are not competing) :)

Southy

Edited by Eble

Yeah, I remember some of that. But lets be fair, that review was extremely unprofessional. They didn't even have the correct aspect ratio .

Don't know if this was posted before. Looking at the full size screenshots on IGN, it looks... bad :(

I hope that's the console version...

http://au.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/901430/operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-/images/operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising--20090924064251842.html?page=mediaFull

There were some better and sharper screens a while ago though, so maybe it can look better on a good PC.

The colours look plain weird. Look how brown this Marine is (I'm not talking skin colour!): http://au.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/901430/operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-/images/operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising--20090924064259998.html?page=mediaFull

And everything looks brown here:

http://au.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/901430/operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-/images/operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising--20090924064254514.html?page=mediaFull