FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Correct, also known as missions in OFP/Arma-series :)

edit: And in this case we'll count DR as belonging there, since there's only one big map where the missions take place.

Edited by Fincuan

It just keeps getting better and better!

The next thing they'll tell us is that there are only 3 rifles in the game (each trailer has really only showed a total of 3 anyways).

So, they boast about creating this massive island, the likes of which have never been seen on a console, but yet they only include four multiplayer missions based in 4km^2 squares?

At least tell me that there's some way of creating random missions like there is in ArmA?

Edited by echo1

So, they boast about creating this massive island, the likes of which have never been seen on a console, but yet they only include four multiplayer missions based in 4km^2 squares?

At least tell me that there's some way of creating random missions like there is in ArmA?

It is not.

Another "fantastic" video here :P Clicky For Video

Edited by PuFu

Combat looks quite entertaining and dramatic, don't mind that.

The video is entertaining and dramatic, not the combat. Nearly all of the enemies killed weren't even shooting back, and most were within a range of fifteen meters or had their back turned.

Other than that, the AI looks pretty decent.

The helicopters look very underpowered, though. Perhaps it would be better if one hit just disabled the weapons/disabled the tail rotor so, while the helicopter would no longer be considered a threat, the pilots won't be instantly killed.

so the rest of the missions are going to be payable DLC or free DLC? Or is Codemasters going to do what I expect them do and milk the player to every last drop?

Also, what happened to the progressive dirt on the vehicles and weapons, I remember everybody getting wet over that.

It was said that the first DLC will be free but for all the other DLCs people have to subscribe + pay for. No statement if patches will be free from subscription/payment. ;)

In the end DR could be a nice (advanced) shooter for console players - who knows?

man I can't help but lol everytime helios mentions a new disapointment and this huge shit storm erupts in the forum.

Yeah, and I somehow doubt we've seen the last of the disappointments from CM...

So almost certainly no dedicated server and probably no JIP. What were they thinking?

That said, you only have to glance at the MP forum here to see that BIS didn't exactly address the modern gamer's expectations of MP. Small saving grace here (for co-op at least) is the relative ease with which ArmA I missions could be ported.

So almost certainly no dedicated server and probably no JIP. What were they thinking?

Where do you get that from? I've seen no info about dedicated servers, and JiP hasn't been confirmed as absent for any game form AFAIK

Interview with Tim Browne confirms no JIP for Co-op (on Page 3).

I'll let you draw your own conclusion as to why CM refuses to post in this 29 page topic clamouring for information on a dedicated server. The website for some 3rd party company (Quazal) states they will be hosting MP services for the game, though that might just be for consoles.

I want this game to be good, for me it could fill a niche that ArmA doesn't and if it has a dedicated server, reasonable server browser and JIP for PvP I anticipate my community could get a lot of fun out of it. However nothing that CM are saying (bugger all) is providing me with much confidence.

There have to be dedicated servers. If there aren't, how else will people play the missions they built with the editor? Although I guess with all the limitations the game has, hosting locally won't be as much of a problem as with Arma2. Still... it would suck big time.

Or will the mission editor perhaps mainly be for making SP stuff? :confused:

CM policy is at follows:

1. if the information that the potentially buyers (a lot of them with pre-orders) is a bad one, just stay silent until we take the money from them.

2. if anyone is threatening the well-being of DR sales by posting truth, just ban his MoFo Ass.

3. if it doesn't fall under under points 1 or 2, just let them ramble and post whatever and however they want to

so, i doubt there will be dedicated server files :)

Edited by PuFu

the games gone gold....

no more we will change that before release announcements.

CM policy is at follows:

1. if the information that the potentially buyers (a lot of them with pre-orders) is a bad one, just stay silent until we take the money from them.

2. if anyone is threatening the well-being of DR sales by posting truth, just ban his MoFo Ass.

3. if it doesn't fall under under points 1 or 2, just let them ramble and post whatever and however they want to

so, i doubt there will be dedicated server files :)

More an more I read on a daily basis, the more an more I realise they aregetting it alll wrong. Course no big surprise there.