FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Indeed you shouldn't, there is some guys here who just hate Ofp DR on principle. You can't argue with them.

Don't feed the troll... :rolleyes:

No TrackIR - This means you have to turn the mouse to look in the right direction.

Correct me if im wrong,... but we've been doing this for years, every shooter his this feature, and I dont know about enyone else, but If im in a battle situation, I want to be looking down the sights of my rifle at the ready, I don't need to look around me when the enemy is right in front.

No TrackIR - This means you have to turn the mouse to look in the right direction.

Oh God help us. This game will require the use of a mouse?! Come on CM, what are you thinking...

:j:

Lots of good reviews and a lot of polish as it seems...

It seems the game has come a long way and is striking a good balance between twitch shooter and hardcore sim. Not BF2, not Arma 2 either.

I'm starting to believe this could actually be a fun game to play with. Slightly more action oriented, yet not totally brainless.

Maybe I phrased that in the wrong way, To look in a direction you have to move the mouse, where as in ArmA and ArmA 2 you can merely move your head to look while keeping your gun aimed towards the enemy. Without TrackIR, you will have to turn the helicopter to look at something, this is a waste of time and can cost you your virtual life. In a so-called "Ultimate Military Simulator", TrackIR compatibility is vital.

Edited by Blackhawk

I definitely buy FPDR... and by the looks of the vids I think I'll enjoy playing it just as I tought I like playing arma 2 when I saw the arma vids before release.

And this game deserves a chance to proof itself to me... the same counts for the next few patches of arma 2 deserves a few chances.

Im defenately going to buy DR. Coddies know how to publish good games. The very fact that its published on consoles is a very good thing (although many would disagree) but to be able to release on the 360 the game must be virtually bug-free (games have to comply with Microsoft) and after playing through ArmA2 Id have to say that is why the 360 version hasn't been released yet.

The DR reviews sound really good and I cant wait to try it out. The vids look great too. And if Coddies allow for the community to build mods then I suspect that the biggest percentage of ppl here will jump ship.

Edit:

just watched some new vids at the off website about vehicles and such and wow man, LAV25 nightfog mission gunner with FLIR sights drool drool...

Edited by Soul_Assassin

Without TrackIR, you will have to turn the helicopter to look at something, this is a waste of time and can cost you your virtual life. In a so-called "Ultimate Military Simulator", TrackIR compatibility is vital.

Stop lying:j:

Again, there IS trackIR for helicopters, cars etc, just not for the infantry part.

Maybe I phrased that in the wrong way, To look in a direction you have to move the mouse, where as in ArmA and ArmA 2 you can merely move your head to look while keeping your gun aimed towards the enemy. Without TrackIR, you will have to turn the helicopter to look at something, this is a waste of time and can cost you your virtual life. In a so-called "Ultimate Military Simulator", TrackIR compatibility is vital.

TrackIR is included for vehicles, just not on foot.

And if Coddies allow for the community to build mods then I suspect that the biggest percentage of ppl here will jump ship.

Different engine is different... I wouldn't expect everyone to suddenly drop everything and start over.

I suspect that the biggest percentage of ppl here will jump ship.

I doubt that very much!

More like the biggest percentage will play DR also! :cool:

Different engine is different... I wouldn't expect everyone to suddenly drop everything and start over.

If the support is there why not :)?

Hi all

The 12 player limit for MP is widely quoted on the web.

I got it from this forum

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296673

It is also posted as the DR MP limit for PC on several media websites and wikipedia.

If DR has risen to the lofty heights of 30 players it still does not match up to the 32 of even BIS's OFP Elite on X-Box never mind BIS's OFP PC version which ran 56 player servers or the 128 player capability of ArmA II

I do not think any one with an ounce of common sense will buy such a mediocre retreat from the vision of BIS's OFP and will instead buy BIS's ArmA II Operation Arrowhead which is the only Authorised sequel to BIS's OFP.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

If the support is there why not :)?

Sure the support could be there, but I can tell you know it's very unlikely to be as easy to pick up as OFP/ArmA... not to mention most modders would have to completely abandon most of their ArmA work and start from scratch.

We shall see about the modding.

So far the only thing we know there will be for sure is the editor and the lua scripting for it.

Im hoping for a versatile modding environment, as little "hard coded" as possible.

Im hoping for a versatile modding environment, as little "hard coded" as possible.

On the one hand, I agree with this statement but on the other hand, hardcoding some features allow a certain performance gain when it comes to huge battles (of course, if the C++ coding is well thought and well put).

Regards,

TB

Sure the support could be there, but I can tell you know it's very unlikely to be as easy to pick up as OFP/ArmA... not to mention most modders would have to completely abandon most of their ArmA work and start from scratch.

There are many many modelers, textures, coders, etc... that are not working or being interested by any of the BIS games, and so that could prefer to work on OFP : DR if the modding architecture is better for them.

The main question is what kind of modding will be supported by Codies for OFP : DR, will there be a real SDK so even coders could work on engine level modification, will it be possible to have community made addon, will popular modeling application usable with widely used model and textures formats, or will there be only proprietary formats of files, etc...

I don't remember an interview going in depth with those specific questions.

Edited by Sanctuary

Codemasters can seriously kiss my ass! I am always open to real product-competition as long as I am approached in a consumer-friendly way.

But having to read a gamer magazine with a Codemasters advertising in it calling me "ArmAteur"... well, I am too old for this kindergarden and I am not rewarding this style of rather uncreative and hostile Marketing. If they wish to win over the OFP1 community, that is not the way to do it.

(Above you are saying how the game fails to beat ofp 1, yet forgot that ofp 1 had no lean either
)

Just because OFP version 1 didn't have that feature but Elite and everything after it did, doesn't make it good. The point is that most tac-gamers agree that leaning is a good thing, or at least ,the closest thing to micro-adjustments needed to hug a wall with minimal exposure. The goal should be to build upon OFP's initial features, not hooray them when they are the same. The same goes here for BIS as well.

Strange, that some of the posters who are here declaring the lack of lean justifiable because it wasn't in OFP, have argued strongly for its implementation elsewhere :rolleyes:

Leaning has been a requested feature for OFP very a very long time but never implemented by BIS.

So much requested that it has been added by the OFP modding community in many mods. And countless other users have asked for leaning from OFP mods that did not implemented it .

So leaning being useless ? i don't think the OFP community would have agreed.

Were not saying that the lack of lean is a good thing, but we are saying that "the lack of it will completely destroy any ties it had with OFP", is wrong.

Because OFP didn't even have lean. And elite was more of a v0.5 Arma.

Try calling a rock a rock. We all want lean in some form,

theres no need to lie or come up with fanatical and ridiculous arguments on how the lack of it is like stabbing OFP in the back and making their OFP different from the original.

Edited by sparks50

I am not caring about any ties or lack of ties between OFP and OFP : DR, nearly all the old games and sims i play along OFP have absolutely no ties at all with OFP and i enjoy them anyways.

All i am saying is that leaning is a very good thing in any kind of tactical shooter/sim, it was great in Rogue Spear (even if it was not possible to shoot), it was great in GR, it was great in OFP mods, etc... i can't understand any argument of why they don't want to implement leaning in OFP : DR.

We agree Sanctuary, but this discussion originates from someone who dont:

No lean. - This means you have to expose a massive part of your body when shooting around a corner.

NO Jets - Stupid, every game like this needs jets, the amount of Jets ArmA 2 is impressive and fun.

NO Civilians - No proper war atmosphere.

These have killed the Operation Flashpoint feeling from the game