FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Lol. Your like one of those guys who acts like the hardest/coolest person alive, not listening to anyone but yourself. Then someone who has more power than you walks in, and all of a sudden your on your knees licking their ass.

If your going to be an ignorant "Rhetoric" master, at least stick to it.

:292:

You are not realy making yourself popular if you attack one of the most senior and polite users on this forum. Approaching walker in that way is childish and exposes a pretty weak set of manners.

Edited by Albert Schweitzer

You are not realy making yourself popular if you attack one of the most senior and polite users on this forum. Approaching walker in that way is childish and exposes a pretty weak set of manners.

Hi all,

Senior and polite?

He doesn't come across as polite to me. Every time i say something to him he simply makes an an argument against me, quotes a few articles of wikipedia, and then sais kind regards walker.

Either way, i apologize sincerely.

Kind Regards Rich.

(Its easy to sound polite when you say kind regards)

Thats my point. I have nothing at all against walker, hes a nice enough guy. But he needs to lay off the extreme bias/fanboy opinions of his, and start looking at facts.

On one last note, i find it funny how the rules here say don't flame, or offend people etc. I have seen many threads started which provoke flame wars, and they were promtly closed.

So answer me this; why is it we have 241 pages of mindless flaming, over a game thats not even released, and yet its STILL not locked?

Ah well. I guess flaming against any game other than Arma 2 is ok here. I won't post about this mess anymore, i'll stick to the on topic forums :)

Richie your choice of subject matter on both forums seems a bit inflammatory, you want to discuss the things ArmA does better on the DR forums and vice-versa here. It's a fine line between devil's advocate and troll.

Richie your choice of subject matter on both forums seems a bit inflammatory, you want to discuss the things ArmA does better on the DR forums and vice-versa here. It's a fine line between devil's advocate and troll.

No, look carefully in the DR forums and you will see numerous times my threads have been locked and i have been infracted, for saying Arma 2 does certain things so much better.

You will also see i have said on the Bohemia forums how much better DR is at other things.

And then you will also see on both forums i have picked up each games good points and made very good discussions about it.

The difference is, on each different forum you must change your attitude a little. For example, on the DR forums i have to be careful not to pick on Dragon Rising too much, or i will get banned. And the same applies over here.

So obviously between both forums, i will be a little more biased to that game. But in general i am very neutral. I have made so many posts saying they are different types of game, for different audiences. But people consistently make wars between the two.

If i hated/trolled Arma 2, i would not have so many videos on youtube saying how amazing it is! And you can bet your money i will have many videos of flashpoint 2.

Also, i can't argue how many times people on the DR forums have attacked Arma 2, and i've been the only one to defend it. (Thus labeled as a troll).

I do the same here and get labeled as a troll too.

So how do i win? Just say both games fail? Just stick to one game and ignore the other? Am i the only one who sees great points in both games? There are a few people i know who are thinking the same way i am about both games, but most people just stick to one game and thats it.

The worst thing is, the Arma 2 haters are probably actively playing it, and the DR haters are probably going to be playing Flashpoint just as much. I don't like this thread. It is on an Arma 2 forum, of course anyone who defends flashpoint will be labeled.

And the same goes for the Dragon Rising forums, of course you get labeled if you say Arma 2 is amazing.

The difference is, they do NOT allow biased anti Arma 2 threads at their forums. You guys do.

And for me, that backs up my opinion that the Arma 2 community is the most hostile one out there.

Take your personal issues to PM, afaik this thread is about DR...

I understand richiespeed13 motivations and objectives.

The guy is using his newly-acquired notoriety (Youtube) to bring DEV/People attentions on both games pros/cons to further develop things and make them evolve in a positive way. There are some manners to do it but sometimes, passion goes overboard.

That's said,

I wonder what 'Directx' variant have CM DEVs used to develop OFP: DR?

Regards,

TB

Sometimes you just need to be rational and honest too.

Its possible that DR will have a decent campaign, perform well and be an enjoyable game, its also possible that it wont.. but if it turns out to be good im not going to let any fundamentalist fanboyism stop me from playing that (or any other game), or force myself to play the frustrating, broken game that Arma II unfortunetly is (in its current state, im afraid its really not enjoyable).

I dont think neither Arma II or DR are breaking new grounds, like OPF did back in 2001 and neither are the games i expected to play 8 years after the revolution.. wich is a shame.

Maybe there are more things at stake then ARMA vs DR.

IMHO the hardcore milsim genre might be in peril. If DR opts for a light version of the genre and causes a split in the community, then maybe BIS hardcore players aren't in enough numbers to support the existence of the genre.

We mustn't forget that BIS is a small developer and doesn't have much means in compare with Codemasters. Sometimes competition is not so good specially if the two competitors are not at the same level of means and resources. Usually the weak is absorved or strangled.

This case it's almost a struggle between Samson and mighty Goliath.

Maybe it's not the right time to be neutral.

I understand richiespeed13 motivations and objectives.

The guy is using his newly-acquired notoriety (Youtube) to bring DEV/People attentions on both games pros/cons to further develop things and make them evolve in a positive way. There are some manners to do it but sometimes, passion goes overboard.

That's said,

I wonder what 'Directx' variant have CM DEVs used to develop OFP: DR?

Regards,

TB

Sometimes you just need to be rational and honest too.

Its possible that DR will have a decent campaign, perform well and be an enjoyable game, its also possible that it wont.. but if it turns out to be good im not going to let any fundamentalist fanboyism stop me from playing that (or any other game), or force myself to play the frustrating, broken game that Arma II unfortunetly is (in its current state, im afraid its really not enjoyable).

I dont think neither Arma II or DR are breaking new grounds, like OPF did back in 2001 and neither are the games i expected to play 8 years after the revolution.. wich is a shame.

Thank you both, i agree completely with what you are saying. I apreciate and undersstand what you mean.

Regards,

Rich.

If DR opts for a light version of the genre

I still don't see how FDR is a light version of the milsim genre, really. It is murmured like a mantra here, but it won't get truer by repeating.

Grim

I guess you walk backwards from CounterStrike, through the tactical FPSs to games like ArmA 2 and Rainbow 6 and figure out at what point a game becomes a simulator. To assess DR I guess you also have to be in full posession of the emergent gameplay, whereas here we just have some tidbits on the infantry game. I think based on only that incomplete information, whether DR looks like a sim at this point is debatable.

I am not caring about any ties or lack of ties between OFP and OFP : DR, nearly all the old games and sims i play along OFP have absolutely no ties at all with OFP and i enjoy them anyways.

All i am saying is that leaning is a very good thing in any kind of tactical shooter/sim, it was great in Rogue Spear (even if it was not possible to shoot), it was great in GR, it was great in OFP mods, etc... i can't understand any argument of why they don't want to implement leaning in OFP : DR.

Maybe it's because cars don't lean and hence it would have been too difficult to implement in their rally engine :D

I wonder if leaning has been deemed impractical for consoles but they don't want the product differentiated in that fashion across platforms at release. I think I read that the animations do exist and for that reason I anticipate a mod might add it for PC.

We mustn't forget that BIS is a small developer and doesn't have much means in compare with Codemasters. Sometimes competition is not so good specially if the two competitors are not at the same level of means and resources. Usually the weak is absorved or strangled.

This case it's almost a struggle between Samson and mighty Goliath.

Maybe it's not the right time to be neutral.

Competition is always a good thing. By your logic BIS should never have had the success they had with OFP. My hope is that CM comes out with a great product in OFP DR, and that stirs BIS to make some truly revolutionary changes/additions worthy of an OFP successor. Let's face it, many in the community feel that BIS's latest offerings have been buggy and somewhat lackluster. This threat of competition may be what is needed to get the ball rolling on a true OFP 2. My biggest fear is that OFP DR is a flop and this niche genre dies out from lack of innovation.

-Student Pilot

I still don't see how FDR is a light version of the milsim genre, really.

*Shot in the leg only removes your ability to sprint

*No leaning

*Standard FPS movement style including: easy to shoot accurately while walking (in one of those recent gameplay videos the player walks sideways while aiming through the scope, yet the aim is perfectly stable)

The gameplay footage makes it look like an easier game to play. And the comments I've seen in other forums have said similar things. It's a plus for the game really.

And more that you can probably find mentioned here.

This is all relative of course, the only other recent 'milsims' to compare it to are the ArmA games, and they have their shortcomings too.

And face it, neither ArmA 2 or OFP: DR really come close to recreating combat :)

They also both have a different approach.

It still counts as a simulation IMO. Face it, every simulation game has to leave out large chunks of reality and is simplified it many ways. That includes racing sims and flight sims.

I still don't see how FDR is a light version of the milsim genre, really. It is murmured like a mantra here, but it won't get truer by repeating.

Grim

If Codemasters opts for a light version of the genre

Competition is always a good thing. By your logic BIS should never have had the success they had with OFP.

-Student Pilot

OFP was something completely new when was launched. Was quite unique. It had that fresh appeal. Besides PC gaming was different in 2001 in terms of business. Was a flourishing industry. And the economy... you cannot compare the economic periods.

As for your statement that competition is always good I couldn't disagree more.

That's only in theoretical terms. In practice, things are quite different and it depends. And surely not, when resources and means are not equal. Look around you. That's a dogma..., a myth.

But that's my opinion.

For theoretical terms, free markets and unlimited competition have worked pretty well for us so far...

But...my point was not to compare our current economic malaise to 2001, but to show that BIS developed a revolutionary product which subsequently sold well. They had plenty of competition in the form of corridor shooters (remember that not all competition is direct competition), and they did well with it. I think when they created the genre, they became a monopoly because no one else created milsims, and saw their competition reduce considerably as a result. That was when it took 6 years to produce Arma, and now ArmaII, both which are nowhere near as revolutionary as OFP originally was. If BIS cannot come up with something to successfully compete with CM and other studios, despite having several games behind them, then it is their right to fail. Remember that they made OFP a huge success with fewer resources than they have now.

Even if the milsim market is saturated and there is no room for a second game in this genre (which I disagree with), competition is still good because it forces studios to differentiate their product, whether that be by price, features, modability, ect. Even if one studio has to die because there is no room for them, the end result for us consumers is a better product.

I believe that BIS will do well, though, even in the face of competition. They created OFP, and though their two recent offerings may not be perfect, they still have the necessary vision to create a worthy sequel to OFP. Maybe this threat of competition will simply decrease the time it takes for them to get it to us.

-Student Pilot

...gosh, another long post. I need to stop posting just after I have my morning coffee.

For theoretical terms, free markets and unlimited competition have worked pretty well for us so far...

I stop here. I don't agree at all with this.

We have different opinions and visions regarding the benefits of free market and unlimited competition. I'm sure if we take the argument towards the political field we'll see a lot of more differences to arise between us. I respect different opinions from mine. I can be civil and could go on arguing with you but it wouldn't lead us towards anything positive in this thread, I think. We have just different premises, different visions and that reflects on the way we see things.

Agreed, and that conversation would be off-topic here anyway, so I'll get back to OFP DR and agree to disagree.

Question regarding the grass, that I do not remember coming across. Is it possible to disable it if the grass turns out to be a performance hit (or really, really ugly)?

-Student Pilot

OFP2 looks well-produced and pretty fun. There are lots of small and not-so-small (ahem FLIR) touches that should add to the immersion. it looks like a polished product. The only thing that worries me is the lack of info on modability. If it is as moddable as OFP, it may even prove to be the true successor I've been waiting for. I'll wait for the demo and reviews for final judgement though.

If it is as moddable as OFP

It was stated in one of the many interviews that the game will be as moddable (is that actualy a word? :D ) as the original to make sure it will live long and prosper. :)

Grim

It was stated in one of the many interviews that the game will be as moddable (is that actualy a word? :D ) as the original to make sure it will live long and prosper. :)

Grim

We will find out for ourselves soon enough I guess.

Think codie will have to take BIS's demo as an example to follow. Any demo from now on, will have to have a built in "light" editor.....or people will be pirating a test copy ,to truly see if it's worth a purchase......yeeeah, purchase.

Bis's name sold me from the start thanks to their history , the demo just pushed me over the top and sealed the deal....codie will have to provide more than BF2 videos for my money.