FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

So then you're criticising the marketing, not the game.

More or less. I'm not saying the game is going to be bad, I'm just not holding up hopes that it'll live up to OFP standards. The marketing is a mirror of the type of game they are making and selling. It still looks like fun.

OFP standards

why should they keep these standards?

in fact you want an other copy of arma/arma2, because BIS use the old and tired ofp standards.

The marketing is a mirror of the type of game they are making and selling

I don't think so. If you listen to the dev interviews and read the information that is available then you'll see that CM is not just copying BIS or the original Flashpoint game. They want to bring in fresh air so to say and want to widen the potential audience for the game. That's why they include different assistant levels and don't use the 'difficulty settings' such as we know from the run and gun shooters.

Everyone will get the same atmosphere, the same AI, the same mission objectives, the same game. But each player can use as much 'help' as he thinks he needs to make it thru the game with his soldier alter ego. That it is a clever move imho and can bring in much more new players to the Flashpoint series than the pseudo elitist approach some people show here.

These trailers are mainly made for those who don't know the milsim genre, coming from the action shooter corner, so the trailers will show action, shoot outs and intense battle scenes. That the game is about much more will be revealed when these guys start playing the game. The vets don't need such trailers, they will play it anyway.

why should they keep these standards? in fact you want an other copy of arma/arma2, because BIS use the old and tired ofp standards.

I agree and it's a good thing that CM did start everything from scratch.

Grim

why should they keep these standards?

in fact you want an other copy of arma/arma2, because BIS use the old and tired ofp standards.

I think his point is that the sequel should at least meet the standards of it's predecessor, and with any luck, exceed them.

They should follow hollywood's lead and call it a 'reboot' or a 're-imagining' or something.

Hi,

I wonder if the low count poly will not help the frame rate. The textures does not look as sharp as Arma 2 but the game give the feeling that it will be less demanding, smoother in a way. Well, it's just an impression...

Cheers

Not impressed.. :( .

ArmA2 definately looks way better, thats for sure.

Originally Posted by Helios

Tim from the dev team has just mailed me a response to this thread after we noticed a few concerns from the community, it's all good news

“Hi all,

I’ve noticed people talking about vehicle destruction and some concerns about it appearing from the videos that our damage system is very binary (either alive or dead). As you can imagine when our videos are put together explosions look a lot more exciting than seeing a vehicle hit and it appears that not a huge amount happened.

I can tell you (without revealing and spoiling all of the magic ïŠ) that we have what is known as secondary damage within the vehicle damage system. This means that at times a vehicle may have its steering or engine disabled or that its weapon systems are knocked out but it is still fully mobile and can be driven to a safe position. There are times when the vehicle is completely destroyed (but not catastrophically) so you are given a very short period of time to bailout before it cooks off and then of course if you’re an unfortunate soul in a HUMVEE and a PLA fires a Pf-98 Queen Bee at you then you’re likely looking at catastrophic damage

So it is possible to kill the engine of a chopper mid flight with a well aimed anti material rifle shot. This brings me to another cool point for the people who like their flight / helicopter sims out their. Just because you’ve lost your engine in a chopper doesn’t mean you’re going to plummet to earth and die. If you have enough height and still have control of your collective and flight surfaces you can perform a manoeuvre known as auto-rotation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation) link included for those who may not know what that is). Something we’ve had fun playing with in the office.

Hope that answers your questions and maybe tells you something you didn’t know about the game.

Thanks

Timâ€

Thanks again to Tim for taking the time to compose an answer to the community, it's much appreciated.

Sounds promising indeed.

from all the screenshots and vids I see in the threads hardly...arma II look as dull as it is from what I see.

Even parvus screenshots suxxed...a few from burns were nice but from the rest those were totally dull/crap or edited :p

arma II has totally no atmosphere and it never will have one like STALKER or other games... :bounce3:

btw.

I think that you are one of the first to download a DRdemo or buy the game when it is going to be released.

For a game DR looks nice...will it be FUN for more as a month or a few weeks longer ...we'll see if the price is as arma II around 39 euro's, not that Ã'll buy armaII for that price.

I'll wait till it drops to 4,95... it's more then enough for armaII.

Hi,

I wonder if the low count poly will not help the frame rate. The textures does not look as sharp as Arma 2 but the game give the feeling that it will be less demanding, smoother in a way. Well, it's just an impression...

Cheers

I share that impression.

Im not too worried about the looks, i just thought that since the game has few content it would be simulated better than BF2.

Im not too concerned about FFAR'ing a Mi-17 either, you can do that in Operation Flashpoint, Armed Assault and Arma II anyway :rolleyes: .

I expected the vehicles would have interiors atleast, seems to be missing in most of them.

I dont know why they are using AH-6's...

Hi,

Cheers

I feel the same, the textures are not as good as Arma2's ones. And in the latest video, there is no anti-aliasing which also helps the framerate.

The best thing in the latest vid is the grass draw distance which seems important.

arma II has totally no atmosphere and it never will have one like STALKER or other games...

DR's atmosphere is not a success either. It is pretty bad and looks completely fake and artificial...

"Welcome to Skira Island ! America vs China!" *plays crappy DR music theme* :o:

Had my hopes up but after seeing this vehicle trailer it's looking just like BF2 with only slightly better graphics. Same vehicles and everything. Not even accurate ones for the US side. Such a shame. Oh well.

Edited by blackdog~

looks completely fake and artificial...

all games do :bounce3:

The only reason for me to play that game would be...

fragging a lot of n00bs and laughing at them and then go back playing ArmA :yay:

Probably to stop the topic from being needlessly bumped.

Edited by NodUnit

It's a part of a conspiracy launched by an elite cabal of ArmA 2 fanboys. They meet up in the forest at every full moon, drink beer and sacrifice goats to Marek Spanel...

Edited by echo1

I feel the same, the textures are not as good as Arma2's ones. And in the latest video, there is no anti-aliasing which also helps the framerate.

The best thing in the latest vid is the grass draw distance which seems important.

DR's atmosphere is not a success either. It is pretty bad and looks completely fake and artificial...

"Welcome to Skira Island ! America vs China!" *plays crappy DR music theme* :o:

Meh, i think there can be super dense atmosphere if done right.

Even for OFP there were missions that were super immersive and often in ArmA2 when i walk through industrial zones and such places that you could build really scary stalker like missions there if you use some filters, fitting music and such things.

Hi all

...Each mission restricts the player to a given square ‘zone’ of operations outside of which there is no mission content. These zones are large enough that it’s rare to reach the edge of one unless the player is trying to do so. On the PC version people could probably make missions that encomapass the whole island if they wanted to...

http://www.caveofdistraction.com/2009/08/13/some-developer-tidbits-about-ofp2/

Welcome to another Shoebox Prison of The Mind.

Regards walker

Edited by walker

In all fairness, a lot of OFP and ArmA missions had a similar arrangement. For example, go to the shooting range tutorial in ArmA 1 and try walking away from the base.