Sign in to follow this  
Solus

SLX Mod WIP

My only grip here is that the game freezes for a few seconds during shooting sequences.

Regards,

TB

Hi Solus

- without using GL3+GL3 radios there is a error warning ingame and in arma2.rpt

Warning Message: Cannot load texture slx_gl3\data\slx_prc119_nohq.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture slx_gl3\data\slx_prc119_detail.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture slx_gl3\data\slx_prc119_smdi.paa.

- firing with AT on T72 I get 3 burning T72 wrecks

Fox '09: What are the conditions of when AI go prone at the wrong time? Examples?

Thunderbird: Thanks! I'm going to stop developing it soon. Hopefully someone will update it for OA. Unfortunately it's hard for me to tell what's causing freezes since it also freezes for me with default A2. Someone with a better computer needs to test removing addons to see what might be causing it.

xy20032004: Maybe you could make a custom XEH addon that handles the tank recoil effects. Or I could add in a condition for the tank cannon if you can find a good value for the _tmp variable. The shake effect should happen for anything that is XEH compatible, which should be anything that inherits from the default classes and doesn't define custom event handlers.

NoRailgunner: Thanks, I fixed those! It's strange that it's running the killed EH multiple times when destroyed after being damaged. I think the texture warning were from SLX_RPG7.pbo, try removing it too and see if that's definitely where the problem was.

Thanks for your reply, solus.

I am not a script pro as you are, so I can only modify ready scripts to fit my taste. I don't know how to make xeh things either. From my point of view, I think tank's main gun should have powerful shake effect if one is inside or very near to it according to movies or footages which shows tank firing. I increased _tmp to 0.008 for viehcles, but that is only good for tank cannon fire, for other things, this value is too high. So can you make some adjustments to the shake effect, or make a hpp file for us to change at will?

Once again, thanks for your hard work, I love this mod.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

By the way, for the 'freeze problem', I think it is the cause of gl3. I used gl3 in the past, now I use gl4. This mod will scan the whole map to set something at the very beginning of a mission. For me, the screen will freeze 3-5 seconds and the hd led light will be on during this time, after that, everything goes back to normal. If you start the mission again, this will not happern. If you quit the game and enter to play the same mission again, this thing will happen another time. How long the 'freeze' will be depends on how large the map is and what kind of pc you have. Better pc, less time. Of course, this is all my point of view as a player, not a script master.

Thanks, I made it 0.008 for when tank cannons fire.

So it's GL3 that's causing the freezes or you mean that GL4 does a freeze and it might be similar?

At least on my pc, gl3 or gl4 will create the same few seconds 'freeze' at the very beginning. remove it, all 'freeze' disappears. But for the good things gl3/4 brings, that can not be called a bug. I have noticed this 'freeze' long time ago when I first used your mod and got in touch with gl3. Now I use gl4 with ace and your slx.

For the _tmp value, 0.008 is what I like, I am not sure if other people will like it. From me, a big thank to you! :-)

Sometimes a unit constantly fires a weapon on a target, which is already dead, or which couldn't be hit. Could it be a vanilla issue?

About gl3:

The idea of the system is very good, but when you use it, often AI units are called for help, which already have own missions and waypoints. So they wont complete their mission...

Maybe it would be better, if units could be called by GL3 only when they have a special waypoint set. -> a pool for supporting units

Thank you for this great mod. Will you stay active after completing this mod?

Sometimes a unit constantly fires a weapon on a target, which is already dead, or which couldn't be hit. Could it be a vanilla issue?

I've never seen that, what were the exact conditions it happened under and how often? How could I reproduce it?

About gl3:

The idea of the system is very good, but when you use it, often AI units are called for help, which already have own missions and waypoints. So they wont complete their mission...

Maybe it would be better, if units could be called by GL3 only when they have a special waypoint set. -> a pool for supporting units

Maybe have only groups that are waiting and not moving, but what about patrolling groups? Maybe it could check if there's a cycle WP up ahead. Then groups that were on a one way mission would keep going until they finished and then would be available for backup.

Thanks! After this, I might be around sometimes, and there's email for contact.

Well, it's difficult for me to tell what the conditions were. It happens randomly, luckily not too often. For example, there was a small tank battle. An enemy tank was hit and the crew jumped out of it. Then an AAVP fired on the crew(grenade launcher) and killed them. But it kept up fireing on the wreck for one minute or two. (strange thing, happens mostly with AAVP....). Im not sure if it happens without the mod too, but it could be a vanilla issue :confused:

Well this is a minor bug, but its annoying.

I discovered another issue.

It's good that the inf use its grenade launchers and RPGs /M136 more often. But when they use it in the woods, the grenades often explode in the trees before hitting the enemy. Maybe the units have target better. But I can imagine that its very difficult to calculate if the flight path is clear...

Your idea for gl3 is very good. I will see, if I could get it to work, but I just started to write some scripts.

Edited by -=Firewall=-

I've never seen that, what were the exact conditions it happened under and how often? How could I reproduce it?

-=Firewall=-: I'm pretty sure this is a vanilla bug as it's also been reported in the beta testing threads.

Protegimus

I apologise if this has been mentioned before, however, I noticed this just before:

The RPG ironsight addon seems to reference a normal map used in the PRC113 addon, thus, if used by itself, gives a missing texture error, and a black RPG7 model. I can't imagine what the PRC113 normal map would be used for on the RPG7 itself.

Great work once again, Solus. Some excellent stuff in here, and I strongly appreciate the ability to pick and choose what PBOs I use.

-=Firewall=-: Maybe something to do with the minfiretime or something on the AAVP? I don't think there's any easy way to detect when the AI's are going to fire, or to check the flight path, so I don't think it's easily possible to stop them from firing in those conditions.

Protegimus: Thanks for finding that!

xy20032004: I think I'll add Firewall's suggestion for GL3 and test it a little bit and then release one more WIP before releasing it as the 2.0 version. So maybe in a few days.

Solus any chance of bringing back the explosions of Arma1 or similar look of it with objects being thrown outwards?I look at videos of Arma1 and find the pieces shooting out of an explosion to look waaaay better then the smoke only we have in Arma2.

CameronMcDonald: Fixed in the next version.

Wolfstriked: That was an effect in OFP where pieces of metal would fly off of vehicles when hit by missiles. It was correct, but removed in ArmA(2) for some reason. It would be difficult to do with scripts. It would be doable if the handleDamage event hander were used on vehicles but that would take a lot of work that I don't have the time for. Maybe someone could do a vehicle armor mod that does it. .

Alot of things are removed from A2 for some reason.Sucks that this and weapon kickback are gone.I doubt that anyone would go thru trouble of doing this since it doesn't seem like people miss it.Thanks anyway Solus for your response.

I miss it a lot and it's one of the few things that makes it feel like you're shooting a gun in games.

as you can see, the cam is locked

I would love if you could somehow bring this back :(

I miss it a lot and it's one of the few things that makes it feel like you're shooting a gun in games.

as you can see' date=' the cam is locked

[url']

[/url]

I would love if you could somehow bring this back :(

Why did BIS take it out in the first place?

gives the weapons alot of feel to them which is great, keep up the awesome work Solus. :yay:

xy20032004: I think I'll add Firewall's suggestion for GL3 and test it a little bit and then release one more WIP before releasing it as the 2.0 version. So maybe in a few days.

Cool! :cool:

At the weekend, an already known bug appered again:

Some enemy soldiers surrendered and I told my medic to heal them. After they were healed, they stood up(still surrendering) and were shot by my men immediately....

man, this makes playing so much fun. two things though.

1- when running (or is it dodging to cover?) the AI moves incredibly fast - olympic speeds. is it possible for them to move at more realistic speed? default arma2 speeds are already way faster than normal and here (with your mod) they seem to move even faster.

2- is it possible with your scripting knowledge to force machinegunners to hit the deck 90% of the time when firing at distances other than very close to target? AI standing like rambos and firing their MGs is an issue that's been in arma a long time.

finally, when used in conjunction with the great DAC mod - which mod takes preference and should i disable gl3 or not?

thanks again for a mod that goes directly to essential level for me for arma2.

-=Firewall=-: I'm pretty sure this is a vanilla bug as it's also been reported in the beta testing threads.

Protegimus

Maybe, but i've also seen this happening many times as a side effect of the "suppressFor" command.

Don't know if that's the case.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

About gl3:

I don't know whether this may help, but i addressed the exact same problem by using a simple "taskPriority" variable (set on group) in my own scripts.

Basically, for example:

• Group "idle", having completed its waypoints or on "guard" waypoint: taskPriority=0;
  • Group on "patrol" (just plain "move" and/or "cycle" waypoints in queue): taskPriority=1;
  • Group on "mission" ("SAD", "destroy" , "hold" or other special waypoints present in queue) : taskPriority=2;
  • Group called to support other groups: taskPriority=3;
  • Group fleeing: taskPriority=4;

Let's say a group needs some support: any groups with current "taskPriority" < 2 will be eventually authorized to give help without overly breaking mission logics.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Edited by fabrizio_T

I've noticed that whenever a friendly AI medic drags me we end up off the map. I'm only using SLX wounds, along with ACE. I haven't tried without SLX and I really only play custom maps but it's happened more than once.

Fox '09, Flash Thunder: Thanks! It might be possible to script the kick recoil back in but I think things look fine right now and I don't have time to refine that part any more.

Firewall: Did you use the default "Heal rifleman" action or was it their automatic AI? I think you need to use the SLX "Give first aid" action to get the surrendering to work, and the auto AI should work too (if in your group set them to safe mode).

twisted: Thanks! Is it the dodge to the side that's too fast? It should be somewhat fast as it's a dodge, but it's hard for me to tell what it's like at full speed as my fps is low. People shooting MGs and scoped rifles should already try to stay down as much as possible (setunitpos "down" for a while).

fabrizio_T: Interesting, thanks! It seems to be working so far with just the waypoint check.

I've noticed that whenever a friendly AI medic drags me we end up off the map. I'm only using SLX wounds, along with ACE. I haven't tried without SLX and I really only play custom maps but it's happened more than once.

Thanks for spotting that! What addons did you use exactly? Did you have SLX_FindCover? What map was it on? Was it in MP?

BI has enabled it, it's all good now.

As for operation arrowhead, some things like shot effects may interfere with the shaking etc already present. about to test

edit:

all seems to work,

Edited by Fox '09

Ok, I dont use your wounds system.

Is it possible that you add an option to disable the blood and the screams.

How do I know the enemy soldiers name, which I want to heal with "Give first aid to XY".