Sign in to follow this  
mandoble

Mando Heliroute for ArmA2

This script allows you to script any range chopper trips and accurate landings anywhere without using any invisible or visible helipads.

Usually if you give a destination really far away, ArmA engine stalls trying to resolve the path and the chopper will refuse to move. Not any more.

What probles does solve this script?

- If you give a destination really far away, ArmA engine stalls trying to solve the path and the chooper will refuse to move.

- If you order a chopper to land at destination, it will land anywhere except where you want it to land, much less on building roofs, between streets or ship's decks.

Mando Heliroute v1.3 for ArmA2 at OFPEC

That was fast. :)

Say was you able to fix the "problem" that the helicopter crew shuts down the engine when landing? I think I explained you that problem months ago @ OFPEC.

Thanks Mandoble. I love rooftop insertions, just didn't trust AI to do it... At all. Now I do! ;)

Yes W0lle, you did, but not yet implemented. 1.3 has better adjustments for A2 as well as A2 ships, but the chopper still will stop the engine. I can keep the chopper engine-on and static quite low waiting for "something", the key is to define that "something" and what to do when "something" is nothing.

So far this is just a raw conversion with some improvements, but you are right, something must be done in order to speed up the next route. Anyway do not expect new versions of this before first release of Mando Missile 2.35 for ArmA2 ;)

Scrub, yes, you can insert AI at building roofs or ships helipads, the problem is that AI, once there, is a bit ... ...well, you know ;)

Edited by Mandoble

Awesome Mandoble I am right in the middle of trying to make ARMA 1 Heliroute work. This should fix some issues I was having.

Thanks

Gonna give this a try, thanks!

I tried your heliroute from arma1 in arma2, i was using it to land a chopper on the carrier. The only thing I found was that after the chopper started up, if you got in the chopper as cargo the script would jump to the landing sequence (setdir in one direction, no ai movement) but if you didn't get in, the chopper would freely fly to the destination and then execute a proper landing. I didn't see anything in the script that would be affected by the player getting in the chopper.

Edited by Sakura_Chan

Is the player getting as pilot? If so, the script will not work as chopper would be fully under player's control.

Or is this MP dedi server test? If so, once place gets into the chopper the locality of the chopper might change, and become local to the player PC. And that script must run there where the chopper is local. So, if locality of the chopper changes, you need to stop the route where it was running and start it in the new client where the chopper is local.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=61953&highlight=heliroute&page=4

On the helicopters approach, are there any enemy units in sight? I had a similiar problem, if the insertion chopper see's an enemy, it ignores the move waypoint "b4 the scripted behaviour" then moves off o a distance to enage the scripted behaviour. It then flies the scripted flight path from the distant point.

is this problem is fixed in the arma 2 version ?

really thanks for this upgrade

Is the player getting as pilot or is this MP dedi server test?

single player. helicopter is set out on the runway, ai pilot. the engine starts up, you run over and jump in a cargo position before it can take off. As soon as you get in the script breaks. It changes direction with setdir as soon as you get in, even if the chopper isn't airborne. The chopper will take off but can not steer or accelerate. This is the old Arma1 version running in Arma2 mind you.

done!

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Edited by Sakura_Chan

Sakura Chan, that should not happen and it seems unrelated to the script. Anyway, can you attach a zip with the demo mission (ready for editor) here so I can have a look at it?

Gonza, before executing the script, set the AI pilot behaviour and combat mode to never engange and careless, that might help.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:42 PM ----------

Sakura Chan, got your example mission at OFPEC, you are passing wrong parameters and using an old version of the script (1.2 instead of 1.3):

scr = [this, getpos landing, 100, true] execvm "mando_heliroute_arma.sqf"

--> The second parameter is an array of one or more positions for the route, not just a position

scr = [this, [getpos landing], 100, true] execvm "mando_heliroute_arma.sqf"

And the chopper lands perfectly on the LHD deck ;)

I didn't save the mission after I fixed the init line ;p

anyways, the problem is still in v1.3. here is what is happening

scenario 1 - The AI chopper starts up, takes off and lands perfectly.

scenario 2 - The chopper starts up, I run up to it and select "get in cargo", and the chopper suddenly turns to the waypoint (it hasn't taken off yet) and it slowly takes off without pitching or rolling (because it is setdir'd) it tries to reach the flyinheight distance but eventually stops.

Edited by Sakura_Chan

I had a similar thing happen as Sakura Chan in that when ever I started outside the chopper (with my squad) and got in, the script seem to break and the chopper would fly really low, almost driving and eventually stop. When I start the mission with myself in the Helo it works fine.

Well, this is what I did, run and get in cargo of the chopper, and I ended landed on LHD deck. You may attach the corrected mission again at ofpec with exact instructions of what to do with the player as soon as the mission starts.

its the same mission, just with v1.3. I'll upload a video. if no one else is having a problem maybe its just something wrong on my end? I do have some modified eventhandlers in the background, thats the only thing different from my version than anyone elses.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

here is the video of what is happening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOIbjjfH_k

Thanks for the video, well I did the same, board the chopper when it was already taking off and I landed quicky in the LHD. I will try to find out what might be interfering in your case when you board the choper. Do you know what these modified event handlers are affecting?

just some killed eventhandlers, shouldn't be doing anything to mess it up. You don't have any modules active in your missions do you? I think its very strange that it would work for one person and not another. Seems like froggyluv had it too. The script does call on the driver of the chopper, maybe other people getting in affects the crew listing somehow? btw I am using the final release 1.03, so no beta or anything.

Reassuring to see you Mando rolling out goodies in the Arma2 world, cant wait for your script packs to be unleashed :)

Great work.

Thanks mrcash.

Sakura Chan, I'm unable to recreate that problem, but the problem must exist. So I will fully redo the script with a totally different aproach to make sure it is resistant to the "touchy will" of A2 AI. Expect a first v1.4 beta for testing later today at ofpec. It will be also way smoother in final aproach than 1.3, faster and resistant to locality changes of the chopper already inflight in MP games.

Thanks mrcash.

Sakura Chan, I'm unable to recreate that problem, but the problem must exist. So I will fully redo the script with a totally different aproach to make sure it is resistant to the "touchy will" of A2 AI. Expect a first v1.4 beta for testing later today at ofpec. It will be also way smoother in final aproach than 1.3, faster and resistant to locality changes of the chopper already inflight in MP games.

Awesome, look forward to that smoother approach to destination. I am using it in conjunction with the Chinook && the MH53E CRRC Drop (BlackOps insertion) and it works great except for the jerky approach to destination.

Well, the 1.4beta works well, smoother, resistant to locality changes, etc.

But all the path until final position is now based on ArmA2 waypoints created dinamically, at the end the automatic landing takes control of the chopper and lands it anywhere. The problem I'm having is with the waypoints, the chopper always overshoots the last waypoint by faaaaar until it brakes down completely. Is this an ArmA2 bug with waypoints and air units?