Sign in to follow this  
yakavetta

Scoped weapons: Is this possible?

Obviously BIS can't please everyone at once, so I thought I'd start to undertake the task of trying this.

What I'd like to do is make the scoped rifles is make it so you bring the rifle up to your face like normal. But your screen doesn't change to the "in-scope" screen, but rather the rifle stays in front of your face. When it's in front of your face, this is what you see:

ArmAScope.jpg

Obviously when you walk, you'd see the M4-style weapon bounce, and it'd be nearly impossible to hit anything, but when your prone'd out and hold your breath, it'd be much easier to hit stuff.

Later, if this is possible, I'll see about variable-powered scopes, but for now I'm just wondering if it's even possible or if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I don't really know what aspect I'd need to configure to do that, right now.

I'm afraid this needs picture to picture rendering, which isn't possible in ArmA2.

edit: I don't know sh*t about modding, I might be wrong (and I hope I am and this is completely possible)..

Edited by Cole

Maybe, if Operation Arrowhead brings us a render to texture feauture.

Maybe, if Operation Arrowhead brings us a render to texture feauture.

is it listed somewhere that i haven't seen?

or do you think that an expansion pack will change the core engine as well?

You could do it, but the outside of the scope would be zoomed-in, too. I've had this idea in the past. You could even create a parallax-free reticle (as I reckon you'd need) but the alpha-bugs would ensue on some GPUs. Not really necessary and not all that much more realistic, but I'd be interested to see how it goes if you continue.

No he's just hoping, I think. I doubt it will happen, especially as the game has performance troubles as it is.

or do you think that an expansion pack will change the core engine as well?

Pure hope, Pufu. Pure hope!

you are new to OFP, ArmA etc

While to some degree i understand what you are about, you will also need to understand how a game development goes, what are the limits of this particular engine, how a mod/addon is done, and what are the limits of one...

That said, there are so many like yourself requesting and asking for a number of things that are impossible, for the bis developers, as well as addon makers...I know this is a bit OT, but sometimes i don't understand it....hopping is all good as long as you know WHAT can be done, and if it CAN BE DONE.

If you implement this in the way I think you mean, and the out-of-scope screen is also zoomed in (which it will be) then one way around it might be to severely post-blur that area so much that it looks like generic peripheral vision blur. Using the radial blur post-process effect. There will be an issue with people who have disabled post-process effects though.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb147221(VS.85).aspx

/\ This is how we did it in Insurgency mod.

I tried something in Crysis awhile back but could never get it to work right, another way i tried was to change the glass shader setting to custom one, which included "Refraction" map to fake the zoom This worked however it was useless as it didnt take into account the LOD so anything you zoomed in on was pixlated. So yeh its pretty hard i dunno if its even possible would be nice tho, but still Very Hard!

Good luck to whoever trys to do it lol.

Edited by Opticalsnare
Edited Link

This has been discussed a lot and has been answered quite a few times. There isn't any render to texture capability, and if there was, how would your computer feel about rendering two ArmA 2s at once?

This has been discussed a lot and has been answered quite a few times. There isn't any render to texture capability, and if there was, how would your computer feel about rendering two ArmA 2s at once?

It would be very sad, probably into a state of clinical depression. But anyway, what about the M4 Aimpoint? Maybe if you just magnified the image of that or the eotech, however I could be wrong. I just do units, not weapons.

you are new to OFP, ArmA etc

While to some degree i understand what you are about, you will also need to understand how a game development goes, what are the limits of this particular engine, how a mod/addon is done, and what are the limits of one...

That said, there are so many like yourself requesting and asking for a number of things that are impossible, for the bis developers, as well as addon makers...I know this is a bit OT, but sometimes i don't understand it....hopping is all good as long as you know WHAT can be done, and if it CAN BE DONE.

Read the Operation Arrowhead thread and jump up and down, I knew it, FLIR and......HUDS:

:yay::yay::yay:

Edited by p75

FLIRs and HUDs != RTT.

Have a look at the Apache cockpit picture, working HUDS, meaning RTT

I suspect you mean, working MFD's, but they look thoroughly generic/inert to me.

I suspect you mean, working MFD's, but they look thoroughly generic/inert to me.

It stated in the Q& A:

new simulation features like FLIR, mounted flashlights, HUDs for airplanes and helicopter and even more.

The displays in the apache look too fu*king detailed to be just static textures, plus "HUDs for airplanes and helicopter" suggests render to texture is probably a feature in arrowhead, since Jennik also stated OpArrowhead will be running on an newer version of the ArmA2 engine.

Arrowhead will feature a newer and enhanced version of ARMA 2 engine.

So, just maybe these scoped weapons might be possible.

Read the Operation Arrowhead thread and jump up and down, I knew it, FLIR and......HUDS:
Have a look at the Apache cockpit picture, working HUDS, meaning RTT
It stated in the Q& A:

new simulation features like FLIR, mounted flashlights, HUDs for airplanes and helicopter and even more.

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at how you instantly jump to this conclusion... :facepalm:

The displays in the apache look too fu*king detailed to be just static textures, plus "HUDs for airplanes and helicopter" suggests render to texture is probably a feature in arrowhead

Or they're just using nice high-res textures for the MFD's, its not rocket science...

Afterall, the ArmA2 AH-1Z shows similar looking (albeit much simpler) displays:

ah1z.jpg

You're getting way too excited over assumptions...

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at how you instantly jump to this conclusion... :facepalm:

Or they're just using nice high-res textures for the MFD's, its not rocket science...

Afterall, the ArmA2 AH-1Z shows similar looking (albeit much simpler) displays:

You're getting way too excited over assumptions...

I think it states new simulation features - Huds for aircraft (plane/helo).

They wouldn't be new, now would they, if they were already in the game? And no, I'm not talking about a simple texture res upgrade.

Maybe you're reading too less in it...We'll see it somewhere in 2010.

Better think positive :yay::yay::yay:

Edited by p75

the FFAA mod just zoomed in the whole screen and then filled it will the scope, its not ideal but its an ok solution.

scope.jpg

Especially if combined with the radial blur pp effect to make the outer view indistinct (as DMarwick has already mentioned above).

Yes, FFAA guys found a good solution... There should be a mod changing all the sights in scoped weapons to look like this... Or at least all ACOGs and PSOs... Sniper rifles are good as they are with 2D sigths...