Sign in to follow this  
Fortran

F-117A NightHawk - Alpha Released

...wow!

Looking great. No it's looking superb!

And yes DCS A-10 and AH64 will be great indeed. :)

Indeed, though I hope they have continued to enhance the AH-64A's cockpit from what they last released, some things were missing that make it below the Ka-50's par in terms of accuracy.

A few questions, are you using external shadow LOD for the cockpit view or viewpilot shadow? If not then I would highly recommend experimenting with viewpilotshadow LOD, that way the 3D knobs and other details will cast shadows.

Will you be changing/darkening the color of the panels that surround buttons, gauges and controls to better blend in with the rest of the cockpit?

Otherwise keep up the great work, I imagine the amount of research you did to make this bird like this was very time staking, hat off to you.

A few questions, are you using external shadow LOD for the cockpit view or viewpilot shadow? If not then I would highly recommend experimenting with viewpilotshadow LOD, that way the 3D knobs and other details will cast shadows.

Wasn't aware there was a viewpilotshadow LOD? I thought it was just down to shadowvolume 0.000 and 10.000 ? If so though yes I would most certainly try that, but the amount of work to replicate all the knobs and switches in ultra low-poly for a shadowvolume might be a little to much, but I will consider it for sure, thanks.

Will you be changing/darkening the color of the panels that surround buttons, gauges and controls to better blend in with the rest of the cockpit?

Yes at present the rest of the cockpit aside from the gauges and switch panels is just a plain flat black all over as it is not yet unwrapped. Working on the unwrap of the internal cockpit ready for texturing at the moment.

Thanks for the input and feedback guys.

I don't have access to O2 right now but it should be on the list of selectable LOD's. As far as replicating the knobs all you need is a simple cylinder with a box ontop of it and no open edges.

I'm very certain this exists however from working on a previous addon.

Here you go http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Oxygen_2_-_Manual#ShadowVolume_LOD scroll down to ShadowVolume LOD section.

In this case it is actually ViewDriverShadow. I do hope it works out, with all the work you have/are putting into this bird it would be a shame to see something like that missed :).

Edited by NodUnit

Ah! Nice one, thanks NodUnit, will give it a go, would be nice to get them casting shadows also. Many thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Wasn't aware there was a viewpilotshadow LOD? I thought it was just down to shadowvolume 0.000 and 10.000 ? If so though yes I would most certainly try that, but the amount of work to replicate all the knobs and switches in ultra low-poly for a shadowvolume might be a little to much, but I will consider it for sure, thanks.

Yes, the shadow volumes for pilot / cargo / gunner exists. I used them to remove shadows for the cargo in the NH90 (by adding an empty cargo shadow LOD). Works in A1, but not in A2 :(

At least not in the NH90, which was complied with the old binPbo...

May be using the new pinPbo included in the "BI Tools 2" fixes that...

I do hope so, shadows are not only beautiful but also help immersion, good luck with it, btw doesn't the frogfoot have this LOD? I could swear I saw it in one of the trailer videos somewhere...

I'm not really a plane person but this looks fantastic! Makes me want to go dust off my old copy of F-117A Stealth Fighter!

^ lol :p

Another mini update, took a video of the cockpit in action. Having to re-work a couple of the anims (EGT etc) using a better script so for now they are missing. Also am working to finish up the last few texture selection for the MFD's to update the real bearing direction/vert speed/aoa etc. Also showing the waypointing system in this update. Red marker is the major airport for each map (Utes/Chernarus), Green marker is user defined waypoint.

f117a_cockpit_10_th.jpg

flgB2APES2c

Edited by Fortran

Bloody brilliant!

I wish you would work with all aircraft addon makers to bring the quality of their addons up to your standards. Great work!

Abs

Incredible. I kind of feel like A2 dosn't deserve such a work of art. The engine isn't worthy of such an airframe.

What a stunning piece of work! I feel you will be in competition with RKSL. Since he isn't releasing anything due to some pain in the arse, which is reasonable, and only releasing screen shots which makes people very grumpy indeed, I think we'll be looking at you quite often to bring us these great addons!!!

Stunning mate! If you have chance, use the B2 bomber .p3d thats on here and do that next! lol JK

I wish all BIS aircraft had the cockpit working like this.

Incredible work!

They probably do. it's called VBS!

errrrrgh, you're right, but I'm not going to sell my organs to get a copy of VBS! :D

lol definately not! Unless you become a powerful dictator and take over your town and declare it a sovereign state, then you can raise taxes, plunder and pillage to buy a copy!

I wish all BIS aircraft had the cockpit working like this.

Incredible work!

Nice as that sounds it's no short and simple task to create a 3D, accurate, detailed AND functional cockpit. Also factor in that for them time is money and for us it's just a hobby.

wow,, didnt expect this from your Fortran

damn good work. :) keep this kinda good work up!

Bloody brilliant!

I wish you would work with all aircraft addon makers to bring the quality of their addons up to your standards. Great work!

Abs

What he said, this level of detail in more cockpits would be lully. See, you've spoilt us already and it's not even out ;) Good work, really exceptional.

Guest RKSL-Rock
They probably do. it's called VBS!

Trust me, VBS2 does not have working cockpits. Most dont even have any details at all. And those that do have a very basic suite.

Trust me, VBS2 does not have working cockpits. Most dont even have any details at all. And those that do have a very basic suite.

No, didn't think they would, but given the pricetag and who uses it, maybe they should have......

But then again, their first real experience in a cockpit, maybe they'd look for the mouse?

Outstanding mate! Incredible amount of detail here.

Maybe would be a good idea to create either a wiki where you would post the .cfg file, or release the vehicle in the MLOD format (hmmm, i wouldn't. but well...). Might help out future addon makers create working gauges in cockpits with similar amount of detail.

Anyways, as scuba said, A2 physics and avionics hardly deserves such an airplane. Looking forward to it.

Holy, schmoly macaroni! I'm never going to fly another fixed-wing! I'm starting to feel like scuba on this one. It's simply too good for ArmA!

How is that you still havent been contracted by BIS? Give this man a job!

What can i say, it looks awesome, and the working instruments... you are making ArmA 2 pilots dream come truth!

Keep the good job!