Sign in to follow this  
fedaykin

can AI still see through clutter grass in 1.03?

^

A simple, but important question, on which depends the likelihood of me purchasing Arma2.

No they cant see as much through clutter but also there hearing capabilities have been reduced.

So they don't see as well as in previous versions, but they still CAN see through it after your presence has been detected? Still sucks, then :(

So they don't see as well as in previous versions, but they still CAN see through it after your presence has been detected? Still sucks, then :(

Actually, there have been many times where i have been on a roof and sniped some a.i...

when they spot me and open fire... i climb down the back ladder and they still shoot up at the roof even when i am on the ground... so they can't always see you :D

My question was specifically about clutter grass, not buildings. I know that buildings block AI's line of sight.

I would suggest you stop looking at one weak point of the game, and look at its strong points. Sure, the AI has issues, and alot of people have complained. But alot of people have also praised the AI, such as the post above me.

You don't buy something for its bad points, you buy it for the good points.

If you're expecting to be able to hide from AI in the grass after they've spotted you then you deserve to be shot. Seriously, I think it would be even more ridiculous if laying down simply made you disappear to them...

You have given your position away! You lay down in the tall grass and close your eyes really tight and hope no one see's you ;-)

Or you could:

Give your position away. Lay down a cover of smoke and run like hell crouched and zig- zagging to avoid enemy fire.

LOL

So someone spots you and you lay down?

First: They see you... and know your general position.

Second: If you lay down you don't see them...

Conclusion: AFAIK they could be coming at you in a straight line, or flanking you or whatever... you would never know because you're laying down...

Here is what happened to me last night. I was about 200 yards from the A.I., they spotted me and started shooting. I quickly went prone in the grass. They stopped shooting, and 1 A.I. seemed to be scanning for me while walking towards me. *shrugs*

I am still of the belief the more cpu cycles you have, the smarter your A.I. Ymmv.

I am still of the belief the more cpu cycles you have, the smarter your A.I. Ymmv.

Wait, so if i lauch a million programs on my pc, the AI become super amazingly smart? Or if i launch a million programs they become super amazingly realistic?

Or what? I'm confused lol.

....no.

He means he thinks that the more "available" CPU power one has, the better ones AI will be.

Wait, so if i lauch a million programs on my pc, the AI become super amazingly smart? Or if i launch a million programs they become super amazingly realistic?

He's saying the more powerful your CPU the more that the game is able to free up for use strictly by the AI, if your CPU is weak it's too busy running all the other aspects of the game to have as much free for the intelligent AI.

It was a joke....

He's saying the more powerful your CPU the more that the game is able to free up for use strictly by the AI, if your CPU is weak it's too busy running all the other aspects of the game to have as much free for the intelligent AI.

Is that true Placebo? Does the AI really perform differently when you have more free CPU? Is that an official statement from BI?

If that is the case i'm very disapointed. That means people with low end systems are not only experiencing worse performance and visuals, the poor sods are getting raped for gameplay aswell.

I hope its not true, because if it is, i personaly think its unfair.

we know that Arma2 is CPU heavy, and we know this CPU load is partly AI based because multiplayer has a greater FPS than single player.

it is reasonable for the AI to sample state changes less frequently (eg checking for sight/sound indicators of player characters) if a failure to so means no decisions get made because the AI gets clogged up by giving all 200 NPC's 200 state change checks per second.

Hi Placebo,

does that mean that ARMA2 AI actively upgrades/degrades depending on free CPU resources ? I used to consider that just a community "mith" till your words ...

If you're expecting to be able to hide from AI in the grass after they've spotted you then you deserve to be shot. Seriously, I think it would be even more ridiculous if laying down simply made you disappear to them...

Lol...that was funny

Here is what happened to me last night. I was about 200 yards from the A.I., they spotted me and started shooting. I quickly went prone in the grass. They stopped shooting, and 1 A.I. seemed to be scanning for me while walking towards me. *shrugs*

soo you think AI awareness scales with CPU frequency?

I tested this. I was in a ruined city behind a wall, prone and with a sniper suit. I didn't move at all.

then I put a russian squad (on safe/limited) to walk through the town main road.

Those bastards detected me as soon as they were 50 meters away from me and came around the wall to shoot me. I guess some walls don't count as cover?

Is that true Placebo? Does the AI really perform differently when you have more free CPU? Is that an official statement from BI?
Hi Placebo,

does that mean that ARMA2 AI actively upgrades/degrades depending on free CPU resources ? I used to consider that just a community "mith" till your words ...

Someone asked the question as to what Shataan meant, I explained what he meant, whether or not it's true I've no idea, I'm not ArmA2's lead programmer ;)

Someone asked the question as to what Shataan meant, I explained what he meant, whether or not it's true I've no idea, I'm not ArmA2's lead programmer ;)

Ok, thanks ;)

I tested this. I was in a ruined city behind a wall, prone and with a sniper suit. I didn't move at all.

then I put a russian squad (on safe/limited) to walk through the town main road.

Those bastards detected me as soon as they were 50 meters away from me and came around the wall to shoot me. I guess some walls don't count as cover?

Hi Master gamawa

I just tested this the AI did not spot me. So your experiment appears to be unrepeatable.

It may be that you experienced this in a particular circumstance, where the AI may have legitimately spotted you. Can you please supply your test mission that you said you used so your experiment can be repeated.

Also your are talking about concealment value of your wall not its cover value.

Cover and concealment are not the same thing. You can be covered by being in a tank, but you are not concealed by it. It is after all a big fat noisy tank and takes substantial external things like forrests and moutains to conceal it.

Please Read

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_II_Hints_and_Tips#The_difference_between_cover_and_concealment

The concept of defilade (cover) is further discussed here.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Defilade

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker