Sign in to follow this  
rocket

Steyr AUG A1/A2 WIP

I've been working on a project to bring the Steyr into ArmA2.

Current work in progress pics. No material applied yet, just a basic diffuse.

Steyr AUG A1 (Ausi/NZ variant)

pic2.jpg

Steyr AUG A1 with M203 Launcher

pic1.jpg

Steyr AUG A2 with scope and stand

pic3.jpg

I've taken a little artistic license with their creation. I've also got custom recordings of Steyr sounds for shots fired. Not long till the alpha release, just need to do the materials.

the M203 looks very small...

looks more like a 25mm tube then a 40mm compared to the hands holding it.

loks completely out of scale...

in the pics i find the M203 tube is equally or slightly longer then the gun barrel of the AUG..

http://world.guns.ru/assault/aug_m203.jpg

http://img.redwolfairsoft.com/upload/review/30/AUG%20M203%20Front.jpg

http://www.specops.com.pl/technika/bron_strzelecka/Steyr_Mannlicher_AUG/AUG-M203.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/airsoftoates/image/43731977/original.jpg

(note that the M203 can have short or long barrel)

so i think you should remodel the M203 launcher on the AUG and make it bigger and about the same length as the barrel of the AUG..

or maybe a little longer..

Edited by the_shadow

Will take a look at the dimensions of the M203, thanks for the feedback!

Hi Rocket,

Good job, I would only make the handplacement (the hand closet to the barel) closer to the grip. Because now it looks like it is floating.

Grtz

Hi Rocket,

Good job, I would only make the handplacement (the hand closet to the barel) closer to the grip. Because now it looks like it is floating.

Grtz

Unfortunately, until we receive the MLODs, I am not able to make a custom RTM animation to control the hand placement. The only way to control hand placement is to choose an existing RTM and/or move the weapon up and down in O2. When/if the MLOD's are released, I'm going to make a custom hold position so it all looks right.

You can't hold onto the stock A1 like in the first picture, or you'll burn your hands. You have to hold onto the vert stab handle. But yes, until I can create a custom animation for it it shall have to be as is :)

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM ----------

the M203 looks very small...

looks more like a 25mm tube then a 40mm compared to the hands holding it.

loks completely out of scale...

in the pics i find the M203 tube is equally or slightly longer then the gun barrel of the AUG..

http://world.guns.ru/assault/aug_m203.jpg

http://img.redwolfairsoft.com/upload/review/30/AUG%20M203%20Front.jpg

http://www.specops.com.pl/technika/bron_strzelecka/Steyr_Mannlicher_AUG/AUG-M203.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/airsoftoates/image/43731977/original.jpg

(note that the M203 can have short or long barrel)

so i think you should remodel the M203 launcher on the AUG and make it bigger and about the same length as the barrel of the AUG..

or maybe a little longer..

I'm basing mine on the NZ version, because it's the one I trained on when I was in the Air Force. Many of the pictures on the net are featuring Carbine (short) barrels, hence why they look like they extend beyond the barrel. I was going to model a carbine also, but didn't really see the point from a gameplay perspective.

I definately need to increase the size of the M203, but I'm not going to be remodeling it. I opted for a very basic implementation of the M203, based on what I could remember. I recall seeing an M203 from an M16 and the ones we were using side by side, and the Steyr one was much stubbier, it was about flush with the end of the standard barrel we were using. Not sure why, it was a few years ago :) The texture for all the weapons is optimized and on a single 2048 x 1024 texture, and as its mostly done - it shall have to remain a very basic M203.

Edited by Rocket

not quite sure here but do you need the MLODs for the animi?

or can you make so he hold it like the mk 48?

Hey Rocket , looking good so far fella . About the Mk48 Anim , I have already done this on a set of BFA rifles all i done was added in this to the weapons config.cpp and lined the weapon up abit and it works a treat!!

handAnim[] = {
			"OFP2_ManSkeleton", "\Ca\weapons\data\Anim\Mk48.rtm"
	};

Edit : Altho looking at how close the Vert grip is to the trigger you might need to move it forward a tad not to sure tho .

Edited by Chris1986
missed abit

Hey Rocket , looking good so far fella . About the Mk48 Anim , I have already done this on a set of BFA rifles all i done was added in this to the weapons config.cpp and lined the weapon up abit and it works a treat!!

handAnim[] = {
			"OFP2_ManSkeleton", "\Ca\weapons\data\Anim\Mk48.rtm"
	};

Edit : Altho looking at how close the Vert grip is to the trigger you might need to move it forward a tad not to sure tho .

Yep - already done that :)

Because the Steyr is a Bullpup rifle, it is much shorter. That's the main issue. None of the standard RTM positions really fit with it. I need an example soldier in order to generate an RTM. I can probably try making a pose with an ArmA skeleton and see how that works, as it is just the arms that are affected.

wouldnt the MP5 anim fit?

im pretty sure that anim is "shorter" then the standard rifle anims...

not bad mate, but if its based of the NZ main battle rifle then its a F-88 aus styer not a aug styer, and yes there are differences lol. the F-88 is designed and produced here in australia, we bought the design and rights to produce and redesign it.

some differences between the AUG and the F-88

49469429.jpg

however the NZ F88 is slighty different in that it dosnt have the automatic fire lock-out button. other than that its pretty much the same as the aussie F-88

"shit gas system"

"great gas system"

Awesome!

Thanks for the info, I'm going to do some remodelling tonight, to try and take in as much of the feedback as I can. I will then remap the UV's and rebake, post back here for more comment. After that I'll work on handpainting the textures, and creating the materials for the super shader. If anyone has any more advice/feedback - please post it ASAP as after I've progressed to hand painting I won't be making substantial changes to the model.

only other thing i can think of mate is the flash supressor, youve got the AUG one on there, change it to the F88 one :P but other than that looks pretty good. best of luck mate ;)

Yeah was going to say as others have said that the 40mm looks a little small, don't know if this pic is any good in getting a sense of size. It seems to sit slightly behind the barrel, but only by a couple of centimetres.

Definitely does seem larger than the one on yours, but otherwise this is looking pretty damn good. Be excellent to have the Austeyr/AUG in Arma2, now if only we could get some Aussie Infantry... ;)

Edited by r3volution

Some work done on the materials tonight. LT Lee from our group has been doing some testing for me, and kindly took some pics. She's washing up real nice! Haven't fixed the muzzle yet

steyr1.jpg

steyr2.jpg

Only done the first pass on the plastic materials and textures. Next is the metal textues and materials.

Edited by Rocket

looks amazing

big fan of the AUG rifles

cant wait to get my hands on em in the Irish army :D

Looking really good

The Australian at War Steyr for Arma 1 were ok but they had one problem when you switched them to auto you got too much recoil and the gun was extremely inaccurate. I'm sure your config won't have that problem though.

Are the MLODs part of some official modding tool or something?

Bravo's correct. I have used the new ArmA2 recoil customization settings to full effect. I did my basic a while ago, and its been near on five years since I had my hand on one (although things can change ;) ), so I'm not sure if it is fully correct. Most stable of the three variants I made was the one in Bravo's pic above. When you're prone with the stand, its real stable even on auto.

not bad mate, but if its based of the NZ main battle rifle then its a F-88 aus styer not a aug styer, and yes there are differences lol. the F-88 is designed and produced here in australia, we bought the design and rights to produce and redesign it.

some differences between the AUG and the F-88

however the NZ F88 is slighty different in that it dosnt have the automatic fire lock-out button. other than that its pretty much the same as the aussie F-88

The above pic is From Steyr

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/military-and-law-enforcement/steyr-aug-a1-a2/

Edit:

It could be an old "P" Version used by the austrian Police.

Edited by W0lle
quoted image

Hi. I can't get the bolt rearward. Op. handle can;t budge the bolt. I was successful retracting the bolt initially, let it slam(slide) forward and now can't retract op handle and bolt to allow takedown and cleaning. Help with any suggestions welcome. Thanks. It's the Steyr Aug ass. rifle as shown in pic.